First devy draft, starting tonight, advice needed

Interested in discussing devy leagues? This is the forum.
bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

First devy draft, starting tonight, advice needed

Postby bigchiefbc » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:29 pm

The league in my sig is introducing a devy draft for the first time, and it's time I've ever really had to pay attention to college players. The draft started tonight (10 rounds), every team can take a day for their pick, and I have the 4th pick. The first team already took Gurley. It's PPR superflex, so I assume Mariota is going to go in the next two picks. Other than that, I assume it's either going to be Gordon or Cooper, but I'm not totally certain. I'm leaning Funchess at 1.04, is that crazy? Also, what are a handful of guys who may be there at the tail end of the second round that I should target?
Last edited by bigchiefbc on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: First devy draft, starting tonight, advice needed

Postby bigchiefbc » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:55 am

OK scratch that, someone took Jameis Winston super-early and Gordon fell to me at 1.04. W00t!

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:11 am

Not sure if anyone cares, as this forum hasn't seemed to get much activity, but our first devy draft is complete. Most of the league is extremely ignorant of college football, so I think I was able to do pretty well. This is PPR Superflex by the way. Here's what I ended up with:

1.04 - Melvin Gordon
2.01 - Devin Funchess (acquired for 2.07, 3.04 and some auction money for next year's rookie/FA draft)
4.07 - DeShaun Watson
5.04 - Alex Collins
6.07 - D'haquille Williams
7.04 - Gunner Kiel
8.07 - Jesse James
9.04 - De'Runnya Wilson
10.07 - Royce Freeman

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:06 pm

bigchiefbc wrote:Not sure if anyone cares, as this forum hasn't seemed to get much activity, but our first devy draft is complete. Most of the league is extremely ignorant of college football, so I think I was able to do pretty well. This is PPR Superflex by the way. Here's what I ended up with:

1.04 - Melvin Gordon
2.01 - Devin Funchess (acquired for 2.07, 3.04 and some auction money for next year's rookie/FA draft)
4.07 - DeShaun Watson
5.04 - Alex Collins
7.04 - Gunner Kiel
8.07 - Jesse James
9.04 - De'Runnya Wilson
10.07 - Royce Freeman
Jesus. You destroyed that draft. You got three or four top-12 or at least top-15 devys.

Duke Williams in the 6th and Alex Collins in the 5th is CRIMINAL. Funchess at 2.1 is slightly less bad but also a total steal. Gordon at 1.04 is understandable in a 2QB league but still a great get for you.

Why was there such a strong push to make your league a devy league if nobody follows college football?

I hope your QB's are set though, because it looks like every single viable college QB was probably drafted for the foreseeable future.

Edit: just looked and I see you have Kaep/Ryan/Bridgewater. Well done.

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:26 pm

ConnSKINS26 wrote:
bigchiefbc wrote:Not sure if anyone cares, as this forum hasn't seemed to get much activity, but our first devy draft is complete. Most of the league is extremely ignorant of college football, so I think I was able to do pretty well. This is PPR Superflex by the way. Here's what I ended up with:

1.04 - Melvin Gordon
4.07 - DeShaun Watson
5.04 - Alex Collins
7.04 - Gunner Kiel
8.07 - Jesse James
9.04 - De'Runnya Wilson
10.07 - Royce Freeman
Jesus. You destroyed that draft. You got three or four top-12 or at least top-15 devys.

Duke Williams in the 6th and Alex Collins in the 5th is CRIMINAL. Funchess at 2.1 is slightly less bad but also a total steal. Gordon at 1.04 is understandable in a 2QB league but still a great get for you.

Why was there such a strong push to make your league a devy league if nobody follows college football?

I hope your QB's are set though, because it looks like every single viable college QB was probably drafted for the foreseeable future.

Edit: just looked and I see you have Kaep/Ryan/Bridgewater. Well done.
Honestly, it was mostly because pretty much the whole league is also in a dynasty baseball league, and easily 2/3s of the trades that go down in that league are for minor leaguers, and they wanted to get that same dynamic in football. Since none of us knew jack about college football, we all figured we were starting from the same spot. But I could tell as the draft went on that like 4 or 5 guys were going by the devy lists on DLF, and the other half were just going by looking up college player stats on ESPN. Thats why some of the guys like Collins fell so far.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:29 pm

Honestly, congratulations on a great draft.

But you really have to be careful introducing such a DEEP devy draft into an existing league (or even a start-up) when only half the owners or less know what they're doing.

That could quickly lead to an extremely unbalanced league.

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:23 am

ConnSKINS26 wrote:Honestly, congratulations on a great draft.

But you really have to be careful introducing such a DEEP devy draft into an existing league (or even a start-up) when only half the owners or less know what they're doing.

That could quickly lead to an extremely unbalanced league.
Agreed, I worry about the same thing, and that's one of the reasons that I voted against the devy draft in the first place. But I was outvoted, so I buckled down to learn as much as I could. I hope that before too long, the rest of the league will get up to speed and the league will find a decent balance.

NewtotheBiz
Starter
Starter

Postby NewtotheBiz » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:01 am

Collins in the 5th, Williams in the 6th, and Freeman in the 10th are insane values. Gunner Kiel is sort of blah to me, but you have little need there, and he could pan eventually. Good draft overall though for you.
16-tm, 1-PPR, (SK:TK 3:1.5)
1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1K 3DL 4LB 4DB

QB: Brady, Dalton
RB: Murray, DMart, Bernard, R Mathews, K Dixon
WR: Bryant, OBJ, Evans, Ty Hill, M Jones, Ty Williams, Gabriel, Beasley, Inman, Peake
TE: Eifert, J Thomas, Tye
K: Walsh
DL: Ansah, Wake, C Johnson, M Johnson, Fowler, Ygakoue
LB: D Jones, J Hicks, D Harris, Compton, M Kendricks
DB: Church, Graham, Quin, McDougald

12-tm Devy, .5PPR, (SK:TK 5:1)
1QB 2-3RB 3-5WR 1-2TE 3DL 3LB 3DB

QB: Cam, Stafford, E Manning, Cousins
RB: Bell, McCoy, Martin, Lacy, JStew, J White, J Rodgers
WR: Brown, OBJ, D Bryant, M Thomas, Decker, M Jones, Gabriel, Garcon, T Smith
TE: Reed, Henry, Rudolph
DL: Mack, Donald, Cox, Richardson, M Jackson, Spence
LB: Shazier, T Davis, Barron, Ingram, Barron, Kerrigan
DB: K Coleman, Nelson, Addae

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:58 pm

NewtotheBiz wrote:Collins in the 5th, Williams in the 6th, and Freeman in the 10th are insane values. Gunner Kiel is sort of blah to me, but you have little need there, and he could pan eventually. Good draft overall though for you.
Thanks. Yeah, I got some real bargains, again because there were 4 or 5 of us that were obviously following the DLF rankings, and the rest of the guys were going by god knows what (I assume just by looking at the players' stats on espn).

As for Kiel, I wasn't huge on him either, but we are a superflex league, so the first 5 QBs went in the first round. Watson and Kiel were the highest ranked QBs left and I ended up getting both of them, so I considered that pretty good. Plus, I just took Bridgewater this year so QB wasn't a high priority for me.