What should I do in this situation?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
FantasyOutlaw
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

What should I do in this situation?

Postby FantasyOutlaw » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:19 am

Guy in my salary cap league sends me an offer of Ben Tate for LaRon Landry. I'm all over it, but our league has a roster limit of 6 RBs. I email him, tell him I accept his trade offer, and ask him for 24 hours to make a trade to open up a roster spot for Tate. He agrees and says he'll wait for me to get the deal done. I get a deal done. I re-offer the trade doing Ben Tate for LaRon Landry and Delanie Walker (to make salary match after the aforementioned trade), he rejects it and sends me an offer of a 2015 3rd and 5th for Landry. He says, "I just can't part with Tate now." Nothing changed with Tate or any of his other running backs (no injuries that made him indispensable). I'm angry, but I just wanna know, am I justified in my anger? I know a 3rd and a 5th is a good deal for the 3rd safety on my team, but do I reject the trade out of principle.
Follow me on Twitter: @FantasyOutlaw

Check me out at fantasyoutlaw.weebly.com for my rankings and personal blog. I'll be blogging all about my teams this year, every win, loss, trade, you'll see it all and give my advice on what I find!

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Re: What should I do in this situation?

Postby Shcritters » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:33 am

Legally speaking you would have a pretty good case. You have consideration, terms, and agreement. In a court of law that would stand up, so yes, I would be pissed.

But, this is fantasy football, not real life. If it were me I would email the guy back and express my displeasure in very civil terms. I would also state that this is the sort of thing that gets people bad names in a league and makes people less likely to trade with you. I would remind him that people are only as good as their word. Before accepting the other trade I would see if you could get him to go back to what he had already committed to.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Caleb, Purdy, Levis, Penix
RB: Pacheco, Estime, Vaughn
WR: Nabers, Coleman, Downs, EMoore, Jeudy, Burton, MMims, MWilson
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Sinnott, Mayer
2025: 3 1sts, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, 2 4ths

SafeLeague #2
QB: Caleb, Richardson, Purdy, JJMcCarthy
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Nabers, Worthy, McConkey, Brian Thomas Jr, Pearsall, Mims, Burton, Mingo, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Bowers, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker
2025: 3 1sts, 2 2nds

Vendetta
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Vendetta » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:26 pm

Shcritters wrote:Legally speaking you would have a pretty good case. You have consideration, terms, and agreement. In a court of law that would stand up, so yes, I would be pissed.

But, this is fantasy football, not real life. If it were me I would email the guy back and express my displeasure in very civil terms. I would also state that this is the sort of thing that gets people bad names in a league and makes people less likely to trade with you. I would remind him that people are only as good as their word. Before accepting the other trade I would see if you could get him to go back to what he had already committed to.
Agreed 100%. You also made a move that you may not have made had you not needed the roster spot for Tate. I would remind him about that one also .

lawilt
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lawilt » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:39 pm

just move on....your not going to be able to guilt trip a guy into making a bad trade he shouldnt have offered in the first place.

you should have made a move quickly while his offer was still on the table and accepted it before he came to his senses