Rotoworld Analysis is a Joke

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Scorpio78
Captain
Captain

Postby Scorpio78 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:30 pm

Their latest gem:

Suspended RB Ray Rice started the Ravens' preseason opener against the 49ers Thursday night, rushing for 17 yards on three carries.
He got the "start," but shared time with Bernard Pierce on the first-team offense. Perhaps most notably, Rice's quickness looked improved with his weight obviously down. He saw action in red-zone packages, but was vultured at the goal line by Pierce in the first quarter. That could be a major concern for Rice's in-season scoring potential. He also seemed to have some struggles in Gary Kubiak's zone scheme, something Rice is learning for the first time in his career. He ran with more burst, but needs to demonstrate better patience rather than slamming into the line. We'd comfortably pass on Rice at his fifth-round ADP.

Now...I watched Rice run tonight and he in no way, shape, or form looked like he "struggled" with Kubiak's scheme. In fact, he looked pretty good on the touches he received...displaying the quickness and agility that made him one of fantasy's top backs prior to last year. Bernard Pierce did as a point of fact score a TD on the Ravens opening drive...one play after Rice scored a TD on a reception that was blown dead because his helmet was ripped off (rotoworld conveniently "forgot" to mention that). Bottom line: rotoworld has had an agenda of hyping Bernard Pierce for some time now...to the point that their bias is clouding their analysis. I for one I'm quite encouraged with what I saw from Rice tonight...and am thankful that I have the ability to watch games rather than rely on their "analysis."

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Rotoworld Analysis is a Joke

Postby BuckeyeNation » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:32 pm

I think we get one of these Rotoworld threads every 4-6 months. My response is the same as it always is for these threads. Roto is good for reporting information, but I completely ignore their analysis.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:37 pm

BuckeyeNation wrote:I think we get one of these Rotoworld threads every 4-6 months. My response is the same as it always is for these threads. Roto is good for reporting information, but I completely ignore their analysis.
Pretty much this.

I use them for news but generally ignore their 'blue' opinions.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:57 pm

There is already a really large and long thread about this exact topic...where people say the exact same three things - 1. Roto sucks! Ignore their analysis! They are a joke! Twitter rules! 2. Roto is good at what they do. Feel free to ignore the analysis or use it to your advantage. 3. If you don't like it, don't read it..

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:34 pm

Not to pile on but has Rotoworld ALWAYS been so opinionated? I have been following their blurbs for quite some time but have never been more annoyed or put off by them as I have lately. Not sure if that is a result of the negative comments here in the forum but I can't help but wonder if there has been a shift in the way they present their news. Have they gone National Enquirer on us? Or has it always been this way?
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry

WiscoWise
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby WiscoWise » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:07 pm

What do people use as an alternative to rotoworld for news? Twitter is good but hard to get comprehensive news without the homer bias.
10 team / Year 3 / QB-2RB-3WR-TE-1FLEX

QB: Rodgers, Cutler
RB: Spiller, T. Rich, Jennings, Wilson, Lattimore, F. Jackson, Stewart, Seastrunk, C.J. Anderson
WR: Julio, DT, Harvin, Floyd, T. Smith, Blackmon, Adams, Richardson, J. Brown
TE: J. Thomas, Rudolph, D. Harris

Scorpio78
Captain
Captain

Postby Scorpio78 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:30 pm

WiscoWise wrote:What do people use as an alternative to rotoworld for news? Twitter is good but hard to get comprehensive news without the homer bias.
There is no problem with rotoworld as a news source...in fact, I think it is hands down the best site for quickly getting news to use as a starting point to conduct further research. My problem is that their editorializing is out of control.

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:15 am

georg013 wrote:Not to pile on but has Rotoworld ALWAYS been so opinionated? I have been following their blurbs for quite some time but have never been more annoyed or put off by them as I have lately. Not sure if that is a result of the negative comments here in the forum but I can't help but wonder if there has been a shift in the way they present their news. Have they gone National Enquirer on us? Or has it always been this way?
I guess I just don't understand why it bothers people so much. Everyone is always saying how Rotoworld has some sort of "agenda" for pimping players, but do you really think that's true? Obviously they do indeed promote some players more highly than others, but I hardly see it as some sort of secret agenda. It seems far more likely to me that they are just fans of football and fantasy football and that they have opinions on guys just like we all do. If I was writing a blurb on Amendola, for example, it would probably be far more positive than many of you out there would think it should be. It wouldn't mean I had some agenda, I just happen to like him more than most.

DLFiend
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DLFiend » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:51 am

georg013 wrote:Not to pile on but has Rotoworld ALWAYS been so opinionated?
No, when Rosenthal was in charge a couple years ago, it was much better. Evan Silva is in charge now and has really let it deteriorate into bias and smarm.

It's pretty funny that when people politely bring this up to him on Twitter, instead of him discussing it, you are insta-banned. He does not handle criticism or questions well.

evorzan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby evorzan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:10 am

DLFiend wrote:
georg013 wrote:Not to pile on but has Rotoworld ALWAYS been so opinionated?
No, when Rosenthal was in charge a couple years ago, it was much better. Evan Silva is in charge now and has really let it deteriorate into bias and smarm.

It's pretty funny that when people politely bring this up to him on Twitter, instead of him discussing it, you are insta-banned. He does not handle criticism or questions well.
I was sad when Rosenthal left for another opportunity.
Follow me @evorzan on Twitter
Formerly posting as Steveeb

DLFiend
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DLFiend » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:16 am

Steveeb wrote:I was sad when Rosenthal left for another opportunity.
Yeah, me too. He was a little nerdy but he knew what he was talking about and didn't let his own personal bias trickle down into his other writers and their analyses.

Part of me thinks there's a lot of bleep-kissing that goes on in their office which, unfortunately, leaves no room for dissenting viewpoints and creates an echo-chamber of analysis.

teamgridlock
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby teamgridlock » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:07 am

Agree with all. Their opinions have jokes that are not funny either.

evorzan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby evorzan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:36 am

You know, we could all go dig through Rotoworld's past posts and list some of our favorite bits of terrible analysis for fun.

"Speaking Monday, coach Chip Kelly didn't rule out the possibility that Nick Foles could keep the Eagles' starting job if he plays well in Michael Vick's (hamstring) absence.

Kelly was speaking in a general sense, but it's always noteworthy when a coach declines to unequivocally endorse his starting quarterback. That being said, the odds are low Foles shows enough to supplant Vick. The second-year pro had little trouble lighting up the Giants' truly pathetic defense, but will face far stiffer resistance from Tampa. Foles' lack of mobility is also always going to make him a poor fit for Kelly's offense, no matter what the coach says publicly."
Follow me @evorzan on Twitter
Formerly posting as Steveeb

DLFiend
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DLFiend » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:44 am

One of my all-time faves, from back in 2012.

Starting the Redskins' preseason game against the Bears on Saturday night, rookie Alfred Morris blew a blitz pickup assignment that resulted in a sack of quarterback Robert Griffin III.
Morris was supposed to stay in the backfield to pass block, but released into a pass route and Bears SS Major Wright got in Griffin's face. LE Israel Idonije ultimately brought down RG3 from behind, and the quarterback was strip-sacked. Morris showed a hard running style against the Bears, but he's obviously got a long way to go. We wouldn't bother picking him up.

onthemark
Rookie
Rookie

Postby onthemark » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:38 pm

I've noticed a more sarcastic tone as well the last few seasons.

I have no quotes to offer up as examples. But I know there have been player's updates I was following closely as possible sleepers/waiver pickups and seen conflicting updates on the same player. Going from "This guy is going to bust out soon! Go out an get him if is a free agent in your league!" then an update a few days later saying a guy is "borderline roster worthy and probably not worth a claim", and then the next update is back to the positive side.

It almost feels at times as if two guys are taking turns submitting the updates and one guy has him rostered and is glass half-full about the player's potential, and the other guy is glass half-empty because he doesn't own the player or traded him away and is now hoping the sleeper doesn't break out.

It would be nice if every advice blurb had the author's twitter handle at the end of it so you could see who was giving the advice and know whether it was an author/expert who you trust based on their track record and articles written or an author who's takes and views you have never agreed with.