Brandon Bostick

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Butt Liqueur
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Brandon Bostick

Postby Butt Liqueur » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:58 am

DJB wrote:Until the Pack sign someone or draft a TE high, I am still in belief that Bostic is the guy to own here.
What would you consider "high" as far as drafting a TE? I believe they go TE in the middle rounds (3-4) and then again late (7) or and UDFA this year. Is 3 or 4 considered "high" to you?

16 Team, PPR
(1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 FLEX)
QB: J. Cutler, M. Mariota, M. Cassel, C. Henne, A. McCarron, D. Fales
RB: J. Bell, F. Gore, R. Bush, D. Williams, R. Helu, L. Dunbar, J. Allen, K. Williams, C. Artis-Payne
WR: J. Jones (ATL), J. Nelson, A. Hawkins, C. Johnson (MIN), A. Robinson, R. Randle, K. Thompkins, B. Ellington, H. Douglas, D. Harris, M. Campanaro, J. Hardy, J. Saunders, D. Moore, I. Blakeney, T. Lippett
TE: C. Clay, A. Quarless, A. Sefarian-Jenkins, J. Cumberland, W. Saxton

Draft Picks: 2016 2 3rds, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:12 am

Butt Liqueur wrote:
DJB wrote:Until the Pack sign someone or draft a TE high, I am still in belief that Bostic is the guy to own here.
What would you consider "high" as far as drafting a TE? I believe they go TE in the middle rounds (3-4) and then again late (7) or and UDFA this year. Is 3 or 4 considered "high" to you?
I think if they draft one in rounds 1-3, that signals that the newly drafted TE is likely the starter. Anything later than that and it's going to be an open competition or a committee.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:39 am

Butt Liqueur wrote: Let's hold our horses here. The guy has 7 career receptions...that's 12.5% of the career receptions Quarless has. In his first season, Quarless had 3 times as many receptions (21) as Bostick (7) on nearly only double the targets (33 to 15). Can Bostick be a better pass-catcher than Quarless? Absolutely. Will he be a better pass-catcher then Quarless? Likely. Is he a better pass-catcher than Quarless? Not according to the data. But like pack4ever22 said, Green Bay's TE of the future is not on the roster at the moment
You're misunderstanding me.

The idea concerns getting the guy right now while he's cheap. It's still low-cost speculation at this point, not high-risk investment. Your point highlighting how little he's done in the league so far is exactly why right now is the window for it.

When the day comes that your point is no longer valid -- if that day comes -- then it will already be too late.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:16 am

As for the Packers starting TE of the future not being on the roster, well, it just seems to me the tea-leaves are trending against that presumption being true.

Reportedly, Bostick drew trade interest last year (before the season even started, iirc), but the Packers were dead-set on retaining him. I'm sure teams weren't interested in paying much for him, but considering Bostick is a UDFA being paid very little, 'anything' essentially would've been free profit for them, and this at a time when Finley was still in fine health. And yet the Packers didn't want to sell. Similarly, Quarless had multiple teams going after him this off-season, but the Packers made it a genuine priority to get him resigned.

So this begs the question: is this deliberate effort to retain these two players by the Packers consistent with the notion that they only view them as future depth-chart filler at TE?

Btw, guys: keep in mind that rookie TEs rarely get handed the 1st-string job. There's almost always too much for them to learn, even when they were drafted specifically with the agenda of making them the future at the position. Thinking back, Gonzo is the only clear exception for fantasy purposes that I can recall. Witten and Gates mostly rode the pine, even Gronkowski got less snaps than Crumpler, Cooley, Pitta, Daniels, Olsen, and Rudolph were second or third stringers... So even if the Packers do spend a high draft pick on a TE in the upcoming draft (which actually I doubt is going to happen... I think the team has too much need elsewhere), dollars to donuts it's still going to be a combination of Bostick and Quarless dominating the 1st-team snaps, at least in 2014.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

mikemar
Role Player
Role Player

Postby mikemar » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:18 am

Just traded away Bostick for Dobson (it was offered to me) so couldn't turn that down! (start 2, TE prem league)

Although I think Bostick will have some value this year, I just don't see him having long term value, and just TOO many weapons in GB already

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:49 am

mikemar wrote:Just traded away Bostick for Dobson (it was offered to me) so couldn't turn that down! (start 2, TE prem league)

Although I think Bostick will have some value this year, I just don't see him having long term value, and just TOO many weapons in GB already
Careful with the "just TOO many weapons". That's what the critics said when the Pack drafted Randall Cobb. Cream rises to the top.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:40 am

mikemar wrote:Just traded away Bostick for Dobson (it was offered to me) so couldn't turn that down! (start 2, TE prem league)

I was wondering why someone would give Dobson for Bostick. Now I see it's a TE premium, start 2 TE league. I still like this for you. Dobson has his risks due to his foot, but if he can get it right I think he's going to blow up this year.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

mikemar
Role Player
Role Player

Postby mikemar » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:18 pm

BuckeyeNation wrote:

I was wondering why someone would give Dobson for Bostick. Now I see it's a TE premium, start 2 TE league. I still like this for you. Dobson has his risks due to his foot, but if he can get it right I think he's going to blow up this year.
Yeah, I think it's pretty heavily slanted towards me even though it's TE prem AND start 2. VERY happy to have Dobson who could produce for years while Bostick may not do a whole lot of anything, ever.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri May 09, 2014 8:35 pm

Well, the Packers just drafted Richard Rodgers... who made only 11 starts in college, constantly got injured, and only runs a 4.9 forty.

Bostick is looking very likely as the Packers' primary move-TE for 2014.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Fri May 09, 2014 8:42 pm

ninotoreS wrote:Well, the Packers just drafted Richard Rodgers... who made only 11 starts in college, constantly got injured, and only runs a 4.9 forty.

I agree. Hopefully he starts to see the field a little bit more though as I found that Qualess ate up a ton of snaps.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat May 10, 2014 1:58 am

DJB wrote:
ninotoreS wrote:Well, the Packers just drafted Richard Rodgers... who made only 11 starts in college, constantly got injured, and only runs a 4.9 forty.

I agree. Hopefully he starts to see the field a little bit more though as I found that Qualess ate up a ton of snaps.
Quarless knew the offense, which is one of the NFL's more complex. Bostick was still fresh off the practice-squad highlight tapes.

We'll see what Bostick can do with a full preseason of preparation for a real role on the team. As I think I pointed out earlier in the thread, it's promising that McCarthy already claims to be satisfied with his blocking prowess.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE