Michael vs Lattimore (post draft)

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Julio
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Michael vs Lattimore (post draft)

Postby Julio » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:33 pm

Now that Michael is in a crappy situation fantasy-wise and Lattimore has all of the risk attached with him with a full year of rehab needed, I'm curious what people's thoughts are on their relative values in a Fantasy Draft. In particular, I'm trying to assess why Michael's fantasy value might be perceived lower due to his situation vs Lattimore.

Lattimore is in a great situation in SFO considering his injury, but he's such a high risk to spend a projected late first or early 2nd on, unless your team has the depth to stash him and roll the dice. And obviously there's no guarantee he'll recover to anything near his old self...and more likely he won't. However, it's probably reasonable to believe he'll recover into at least an NFL capable back...one who however carries the risk of one knee injury from calling it quits.

Then you have Michael who got drafted into a crappy near-term situation in Seattle, but was drafted as the 5th overall RB to a Seattle team that otherwise didn't seem to have a pressing need for his services, at least not at the price of their 2nd round pick. Not to mention they obviously ignored Michael's injury history and knucklehead factor to draft him rather highly. Though nobody's talent evaluation is flawless, I think that might speak for what the NFL scouts see in him over us FF "experts".

So if there is any truth that Michael might possibly be the most talented all around back in the draft minus the knucklehead factor and injury history, wouldn't he seem like the more desirable RB to take over someone like Lattimore considering both have more of a waiting period towards fantasy relevance?

HHorsie
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Michael vs Lattimore (post draft)

Postby HHorsie » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:49 pm

Despite his situation I love Michael and will be taking him at end of the first. However, I'm deep at RB. With his talent level I told myself no matter the situation he went to I could see him competing for a starting job. Maybe not right off, but next couple year. Lynch has had lower back problems and this acquisition may just be a sign that things are more serious than what they have led on. Additionally, Pete Carroll has shown that starting roles are there for the taking and a players worth in dollar amount is of no consequence see Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson from last year. I like his situation more that others.

Lattimore is another flier with far more risk and I can see taking him at the end of the first especially for that team that holds K. Hunter. The backs that went to favorable situations are mediocre at best and the quality of these two backs and the situations that they have landed are perfect for those franchises that have picks at the end of the first and beginning of the second.