Forte's Fair Value for a Rebuilding Team

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Forte's Fair Value for a Rebuilding Team

Postby pvillebiker » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:46 pm

Typical dynasty PPR scoring league starting 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 flex (RB/WR/TE/QB), 1PK, 1 DEF

I just inherited this dynasty team. Weak & Old on both QB & WR, with no depth anywhere, maybe a little at RB. I have the 1.03, 2.03, and bunch of 4th round & later rookie draft picks. Thinking I need to get younger and get a QB first and WR next, but don't have much to trade. Two possible routes I see:

1. Take my chances in rookie draft. Maybe land Gino Smith or a top WR (Cordarelle or Tavon Austin) with 1.03, and maybe a 2nd tier QB with 2.03.

*or *

2. Dangle Forte to get a high upside (younger) QB + something. I think Forte's value is considerably greater than Russell Wilson, even in a 2 QB league. What would you expect to get along with Wilson for a fair trade for Forte? Forte for Wilson + ? I've offered Forte for Wilson + 1.05, but not much interest so far. The other team needs RB and WR. May look at other QB's on other teams...

He has
QB: Brady, Wilson, Tannehill,
RB: Quizz, Trent Richardson, Ronnie Hillman, Daniel Thomas, other worse scrubs
WR: Crabs, Cecil shorts, and Sanders, other worse scrubs
Draft picks: 1.05, 1.12

My team:
QB: Peyton, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Dennis Dixon
RB: Lesean McCoy, Forte, Fred Jackson, Dejuan Harris, Bernard Pearce, Michael Turner
WR: Colston, Amendola, Lloyd, Brandon Gibson, Dwayne Harris, TJ Graham
TE: Tamme, Delanie Walker
Draft picks: 1.03, 2.03

Thanks!

TJHollywood
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Forte's Fair Value for a Rebuilding Team

Postby TJHollywood » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:59 pm

In a Superflex, I'd actually value Wilson higher than Forte. I also doubt he deals Wilson. Stud QBs are impossible to acquire without overpaying in Superflex leagues. You need to buy a QB before he turns into a stud. I'd try Forte, 2.3 for Tannenhill, Quizz, 1.5, 1.12. I'd also see if you could deal Manning for a Bradford/Flacco type QB and try to get a young WR thrown into the deal.

jteezy
Captain
Captain

Postby jteezy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:50 pm

TJHollywood wrote:In a Superflex, I'd actually value Wilson higher than Forte. I also doubt he deals Wilson. Stud QBs are impossible to acquire without overpaying in Superflex leagues. You need to buy a QB before he turns into a stud. I'd try Forte, 2.3 for Tannenhill, Quizz, 1.5, 1.12. I'd also see if you could deal Manning for a Bradford/Flacco type QB and try to get a young WR thrown into the deal.
All this is spot on if u ask me !
PPR/IDP 14-team. 40 active roster.
Starting req. QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, K, 3 DB, 3 DL, 3 LB, DB/DL/LB

QB - Ryan, Eli, Bradford
RB - Charles, Lacy, Sims, De'Anthony Thomas, Starks, Oliver, DMC, Pierce
WR - AJG, Julio, Floyd, Jarvis Landry, Torrey Smith, Fitzgerald, Sanu
TE - Witten, ASJ, Cook
K - Tucker, Walsh
DB - Griffin, Earl, Barron , Gay
DL - Quinn, JPP, Moore
LB - Kendricks, Houston, Posluzny, Telvin, Burris

IR:
Dennis Pitta, Stephen Tulloch, Justin Blackmon
PS:
(1) Todd Gurley
(2) Amari Cooper
(3) Stefon Diggs
(4) Laquon Treadwell

2.01, 2.02, 2.04
2016 1st - 5th

thriftyrocker
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thriftyrocker » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:19 pm

I would try Peyton + Forte for Wilson + 1.12. Convince him to try to win now.

Or Peyton + Forte + Turner for Wilson + 1.12 + Hillman. Since he has Quizz (not that i think Turner stays in ATL but why not try to get Hillman too).

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:07 pm

Thanks for the interesting views. You guys all have far greater valuations on Wilson than I do. Peyton & Forte for Wilson + Hillman. No freaking way dude.

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:10 pm

jteezy wrote:
TJHollywood wrote:In a Superflex, I'd actually value Wilson higher than Forte. I also doubt he deals Wilson. Stud QBs are impossible to acquire without overpaying in Superflex leagues. You need to buy a QB before he turns into a stud. I'd try Forte, 2.3 for Tannenhill, Quizz, 1.5, 1.12. I'd also see if you could deal Manning for a Bradford/Flacco type QB and try to get a young WR thrown into the deal.
Interesting perspective, and you are right QB's in supeflex are overpriced. But Tannehill?! It is interesting to consider the possibilities of 60 minutes coming to Miami and how much that could improve Tannehill's longer term value. Especially with Hartline potentially staying. He just struck me as a stiff statue like QB in his rookie campaign.

TJHollywood
All Pro
All Pro

Postby TJHollywood » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 pm

You need to understand that the teams that win in Superflex leagues do so by having a solid QB2 to play at the flex. QBs are the most consistent scorers. Even 3rd tier QBs have a lot of value. Forte is a solid but unspectacular RB. If I was this guy, no way would I trade Wilson unless it was a complete overpay. Why would he want to leave himself with Tannenhill at flex? It makes no sense.

I look at your team and see some nice players but probably won't be competitive this year. You need to build from the ground up. Build around young QBs and WRs and once you get them set, acquire some RBs. McCoy is really the only guy I'd want to keep and even he could be put on the market for a young, stud QB or WR. I'd also look to trade Fitzpatrick if he holds his job. He's not the long term answer but has value as long as he's starting. Deal him for a WR and/or a 2014 1st. Also, I wouldn't take Gino at 1.3. I don't see him as a franchise QB. Superflex leagues are fun as hell and rebuilding can be half the fun. You can turn it around quickly. In a rebuild though you can't be afraid to trade away pieces that will make you competitive in the short term. If you're going to lose, you might as well get a high pick next year.

Mangelo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mangelo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:43 pm

pvillebiker wrote:
jteezy wrote:
Interesting perspective, and you are right QB's in supeflex are overpriced. But Tannehill?! It is interesting to consider the possibilities of 60 minutes coming to Miami and how much that could improve Tannehill's longer term value. Especially with Hartline potentially staying. He just struck me as a stiff statue like QB in his rookie campaign.
This isn't a very good assessment of tannehill. He played some wr at Texas a&m. He might not be on the Cam/kaep level of athleticism but he's certainly equal to or better than Aaron Rodgers in that dept.

TJHollywood
All Pro
All Pro

Postby TJHollywood » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:50 pm

pvillebiker wrote:
jteezy wrote:
I wrote my last post before seeing this. I like Tannenhill and think he'll improve, especially if Miami gets some new weapons. I guess I was more trying to use him as an example of making a trade for a QB that could still be traded for at a reasonable price, but could also be a solid Superflex contributor. Guys like Bradford, Locker, Ponder, Freeman, Flacco, Dalton are all in this category for me. You may not agree with some of them but pick out the guys you like and go after them now if you feel they are undervalued. Wilson is overvalued now after his successful league and might be too difficult to obtain.

dawgs4life
Captain
Captain

Postby dawgs4life » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:38 pm

i would say, dont sleep on Alex Smith in KC....and you can get him for dirt even with the trade. I just aquired him 2 days ago for S. draughn (the guys has charles) and j. criner. basically roster fodder even in a 30 players 12 team league. he could be useful for you while you develope a rookie or draft one next year (better prospects).
as for 1.3 & 2.3 you can get some really good prospects in this spots at the WR position. Patterson at 1.3 and say patton/hunter/wheaton/swope/t. williams/d'rick rodger/s. bailey...they will all be there around 2.3 in a 12 team league.
I only play in 16x53 with 10+ taxi size leagues with full IDP. All are PPR and most value return yardage. So my opinions may be skewed To these deep roster leagues.

Dynasty Fantasy is not a game, it’s a full time hobby.

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:31 pm

Alex Smith is a very interesting prospect for a superflex league. On paper, he's set p to have a strong QB2 year - with Bowe, Charles, a much improved O-line, Much improved coach & offensive game plan, and motivated to prove he is a starting QB. What do you think Smith's value is in draft picks? Let's start with the 2.03. Over or under? And if under, what would you pair with 2.03 to get Smith? Thanks.

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:32 pm

Interesting perspective, and you are right QB's in supeflex are overpriced. But Tannehill?! It is interesting to consider the possibilities of 60 minutes coming to Miami and how much that could improve Tannehill's longer term value. Especially with Hartline potentially staying. He just struck me as a stiff statue like QB in his rookie campaign.[/quote]

I wrote my last post before seeing this. I like Tannenhill and think he'll improve, especially if Miami gets some new weapons. I guess I was more trying to use him as an example of making a trade for a QB that could still be traded for at a reasonable price, but could also be a solid Superflex contributor. Guys like Bradford, Locker, Ponder, Freeman, Flacco, Dalton are all in this category for me. You may not agree with some of them but pick out the guys you like and go after them now if you feel they are undervalued. Wilson is overvalued now after his successful league and might be too difficult to obtain.[/quote]

Ahhh okay, I see your point now. It's a great point - gotta buy undervalued, which involves unknowns, risks, etc. I'm just not a Tannehill fan yet. Do agree that Flacco, Dalton, etc can be very functional QB2's.

TJHollywood
All Pro
All Pro

Postby TJHollywood » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:35 am

pvillebiker wrote:Alex Smith is a very interesting prospect for a superflex league. On paper, he's set p to have a strong QB2 year - with Bowe, Charles, a much improved O-line, Much improved coach & offensive game plan, and motivated to prove he is a starting QB. What do you think Smith's value is in draft picks? Let's start with the 2.03. Over or under? And if under, what would you pair with 2.03 to get Smith? Thanks.
It really depends on what the other guy's roster looks like. Can you post it? I'm thinking Smith should be his QB3-4 since he was basically a WW guy at the end of the season. You may be able to get him for the 2.3 alone. I'd send that and see if he accepts or counters. I wouldn't want to cut into any of your really valuable players though.

FFDerek
Role Player
Role Player

Postby FFDerek » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:46 am

Just to show the value of Wilson vs Forte in a 2QB league... in my recent start up draft Wilson went at pick #15 and Forte went at pick #33
Flash Gordon
10 Team PPR Dynasty 27 man roster (QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3flex, Superflex, IDP)
QB- Romo, Foles, A Smith, McCown, Manziel,
RB- Forte, Bell, Forsett, Jennings, Freeman, West, Khiry
WR- Julio, Calvin, Jordy, Edlman, Gordon, Decker, Shorts, A Holmes
TE- J Thomas, J Reed, Kelce, Allen
IDP- L Kuechly

Hell's Bells
10 Team PPR Dynasty 28 man roster (1QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3Flex, SprFlx)
QB- A-Rod, Romo, Locker, Fitz, McCown, Henne, Garoppolo
RB- L Bell, Spiller J Bell, Freeman, Ivory, Quizz, K Robinson, McKinnon, Carey
WR- Calvin, Decker, V Jax, Wright, Randle, Boykin, Sanu, A Holmes, M Wilson, Ch Johnson, Huff
TE- Witten, Cameron, Rodgers

BPP
Captain
Captain

Postby BPP » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:49 am

FFDerek wrote:Just to show the value of Wilson vs Forte in a 2QB league... in my recent start up draft Wilson went at pick #15 and Forte went at pick #33
Could you provide a link to this draft? I've been looking for some 2QB startup references. Thanks in advance!