Brock Osweiler

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
lostcause
Captain
Captain

Re: Brock Osweiler

Postby lostcause » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Big guy, big arm, probably should have stayed at Arizona State another year. I hate John Elway more than any other player that has ever played in the NFL, but if he pulled the trigger to draft a guy in the 2nd round and name him Manning's successor, then I'm buying.

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:19 pm

This guy Elway has to know a little something about quarterbacking right? He got Tebow out of there in a hurry!
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry

general mills
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby general mills » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:15 pm

He only started one year for ASU so yes he is very raw. Letting him develop in a system for the next couple years and watching and learning from Manning I would only hope would pay off in the long run. Deep rosters or superflex leagues I would own him in. Actually a league where I have a taxi squad I have him on it.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:15 pm

He's the ideal dynasty stash for me, ton of things going for him. He has great physical tools, has two dominant WR's to throw to, an elite LT, a great QB mentor in Peyton and John Elway in his ear also. He was also a high draft pick who was hand picked by John Elway and fully expected to be the sucessor. He's a guy that would have likely struggled if he went somewhere and played early or had a bad supporting cast but he's got a great opportunity to learn and develop there and improve his game.

I'm not expecting him to be Aaron Rodgers, but I think the upside of him hitting outweigh the cost of him right now. I don't mind stashing him until then.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:25 pm

NickDblU wrote:
meineymoe wrote:
georg013 wrote:I believe they drafted him to be Peyton's successor. How many Aarons and Peytons are there? I dont think anyone expects him to be Peyton, just good enough to win ball games. Boy, what a great teacher to learn from.
Agreed. I don't know that there were that many folks who thought Aaron Rodgers would be as good as, or as it turned out, better than Brett Favre.

-oo-
Winning ball games doesn't always mean fantasy success... Joe Flacco wins balls games, yet he's always been somewhere between QB15-20. Up until this season Mark Sanchez was winning ball games, and Mark Sanchez sucks.

A difference between ARod and Osweiller is that ARod was in discussions to be the #1 overall pick that year.. He got passed over and let that fuel him to become one of today's top QBs. I hope Osweiller becomes a great QB, but have any of Peyton's understudy's gone on to do anything in the NFL?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Peyton's previous understudies were 6th round picks (Sorgi & Painter) and not in the same ballpark in terms of talent.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:37 pm

ericanadian wrote:
NickDblU wrote:
meineymoe wrote: Agreed. I don't know that there were that many folks who thought Aaron Rodgers would be as good as, or as it turned out, better than Brett Favre.

-oo-
Winning ball games doesn't always mean fantasy success... Joe Flacco wins balls games, yet he's always been somewhere between QB15-20. Up until this season Mark Sanchez was winning ball games, and Mark Sanchez sucks.

A difference between ARod and Osweiller is that ARod was in discussions to be the #1 overall pick that year.. He got passed over and let that fuel him to become one of today's top QBs. I hope Osweiller becomes a great QB, but have any of Peyton's understudy's gone on to do anything in the NFL?

Peyton's previous understudies were 6th round picks (Sorgi & Painter) and not in the same ballpark in terms of talent.
I thought that statement was a reach.
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry

whatadai
Captain
Captain

Postby whatadai » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:53 pm

georg013 wrote:
ericanadian wrote:
NickDblU wrote: Winning ball games doesn't always mean fantasy success... Joe Flacco wins balls games, yet he's always been somewhere between QB15-20. Up until this season Mark Sanchez was winning ball games, and Mark Sanchez sucks.

I thought that statement was a reach.
They also weren't really understudies. They were clearly taken to be career backups.
10 Team .5 PPR Salary Cap Dynasty (Starters in Bold)
HC: B. Belichick, D. Quinn
QB: A. Rodgers, D. Carr, N. Foles
HB: L. McCoy, A. Foster, T. Mason, B. Sankey, I. Crowell, C. Ivory, S. Ridley
WR: D. Bryant, D. Thomas, D. Hopkins, A. Cooper, A. Robinson, V. Cruz, T. Smith, C. Johnson, B. Quick, J. Gordon
TE: R. Gronkowski
PK: N. Novak, D. Carpenter
PN: J. Hekker
DT: G. Atkins, S. Marks
DE: R. Quinn, O. Vernon, C. Johnson, J. Hughes, V. Beasley, J. Smith
LB: J. Mayo, B. Cushing, J. Freeman, C. Barwin, V. Rey, B. Orakpo, A. Okafor, D. Washington
CB: J. McCourty, A. Verner, B. Browner
S: E. Weddle, T. McDonald, T. Gipson, D. Bucannon
OL: T. Armstead, S. Vollmer, K. Holmes, T. Frederick, M. Unger, J. Asamoah, J. Sitton, A. Smith, J. Troutman, M. Yanda, L. Warford

PS: RB J. Allen, WR P. Dorsett, WR K. Bell, WR B. Coleman, DE J. Sheard, DE D. Fowler, DE L. Webster, LB S. Anthony

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:56 pm

They're the closest thing Manning has ever had to understudies. My point is that the success of Peyton's previous "understudies" is irrelevant.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

whatadai
Captain
Captain

Postby whatadai » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:57 pm

I know...I was supporting your argument by saying that they weren't "understudies" at all.
WR: D. Bryant, D. Thomas, D. Hopkins, A. Cooper, A. Robinson, V. Cruz, T. Smith, C. Johnson, B. Quick, J. Gordon
LB: J. Mayo, B. Cushing, J. Freeman, C. Barwin, V. Rey, B. Orakpo, A. Okafor, D. Washington
OL: T. Armstead, S. Vollmer, K. Holmes, T. Frederick, M. Unger, J. Asamoah, J. Sitton, A. Smith, J. Troutman, M. Yanda, L. Warford

PS: RB J. Allen, WR P. Dorsett, WR K. Bell, WR B. Coleman, DE J. Sheard, DE D. Fowler, DE L. Webster, LB S. Anthony

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:37 am

Big(gest) Peyton Manning fan, here's my $.02 -

Elway loves Brock Osweiler. Elway (and the rest of the Broncos) knew that after they brought in Manning, they'd essentially win themselves out of position to ever draft his successor. You don't usually find future QB-studs at the end of the 1st round. Tebow obviously wasn't the answer, and the entire Broncos organization wanted some sort of long-term answer to the QB position, even after going all-in on the short term investment of Peyton Manning.

Enter Osweiler. He is/was young, raw, but very talented coming out of college. Many draft experts, and Elway included, believed that HAD Osweiler returned to college for another year, he could have played himself into consideration as a top5 pick. That's why he was a perfect selection for the Broncos last year. They got themselves, they hope, a future stud-QB at a LESS-than-stud-QB asking price because of how raw, young, and underdeveloped Osweiler was.

Now, will he pan out and become a legitimate successor to Manning? I don't know. I don't like to evaluate QB's until I've seem them with actual NFL experience (by then, it's too late). But all reports from Elway and the Broncos staff have been extremely positive about Osweiler - I believe Elway recently stated that Brock would be the #1 QB in this year's draft. He's got ridiculous size (seriously - he makes Peyton look short), a very strong arm, and decent accuracy. It all depends on how well he develops his technique, increased accuracy, anticipation, and reading defenses. My one concern would be that he was a somewhat slow release - If you look at all of the traditional pocket passers in the NFL (Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers), they all have good/quick decision making to go along with a quick release. It remains to be seen if Oswelier posseses these qualities.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

allpurple
Starter
Starter

Postby allpurple » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:09 pm

georg013 wrote:Peyton's understudies never had a real chance at any significant playing time. Furthermore, they weren't added to one day take over. Big difference between serviceable backup and future of the franchise. While the Broncos have little concern over a player's fantasy success, I do believe he can be productive fantasywise despite not being a first round prospect. How are Kaep and Wilson performing these days? Not comparing them but who saw that coming? If you say me, attach the dated link!
Peyton in the past took first team and second team reps. If it was a bad practice took 3rd team reps. Anyone know if he is still doing that? Painter basically sat through practice for the Colts with a coloring book and crayons. If that is still the case Osweiler value is squat rotting on the vine.

whatadai
Captain
Captain

Postby whatadai » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:09 pm

allpurple wrote:
georg013 wrote:Peyton's understudies never had a real chance at any significant playing time. Furthermore, they weren't added to one day take over. Big difference between serviceable backup and future of the franchise. While the Broncos have little concern over a player's fantasy success, I do believe he can be productive fantasywise despite not being a first round prospect. How are Kaep and Wilson performing these days? Not comparing them but who saw that coming? If you say me, attach the dated link!
Peyton in the past took first team and second team reps. If it was a bad practice took 3rd team reps. Anyone know if he is still doing that? Painter basically sat through practice for the Colts with a coloring book and crayons. If that is still the case Osweiler value is squat rotting on the vine.
Where did you hear that? Source please. It doesn't make sense to me. How does someone take reps with two different teams at once? How is taking reps with the 3rd team going to help a QB play better with the 1st team in a real game?

allpurple
Starter
Starter

Postby allpurple » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:30 pm

whatadai wrote:
allpurple wrote:
Where did you hear that? Source please. It doesn't make sense to me. How does someone take reps with two different teams at once? How is taking reps with the 3rd team going to help a QB play better with the 1st team in a real game?
I am still trying to find the article. It came out the same time that Painter was going to be the starting QB and both Manning and Painter admitted to Painters lack of practice reps. It was a side note in the article taking about Mannings neck injury.

3rd team reps would be an exaggeration but it was made clear Painter didn't take many practice reps and infact some pratices never took reps at all. Now Painter isn't exactly at Osweiler's talent level. However i could see Manning hog the reps once again to learn his new team tendencies. Sharpen him self up. If thats the case tape and a few reps each practice won't help Osweiler.

whatadai
Captain
Captain

Postby whatadai » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:20 pm

allpurple wrote:
whatadai wrote:
allpurple wrote: Peyton in the past took first team and second team reps. If it was a bad practice took 3rd team reps. Anyone know if he is still doing that? Painter basically sat through practice for the Colts with a coloring book and crayons. If that is still the case Osweiler value is squat rotting on the vine.
I am still trying to find the article. It came out the same time that Painter was going to be the starting QB and both Manning and Painter admitted to Painters lack of practice reps. It was a side note in the article taking about Mannings neck injury.

3rd team reps would be an exaggeration but it was made clear Painter didn't take many practice reps and infact some pratices never took reps at all. Now Painter isn't exactly at Osweiler's talent level. However i could see Manning hog the reps once again to learn his new team tendencies. Sharpen him self up. If thats the case tape and a few reps each practice won't help Osweiler.
I doubt that would happen with Elway there. They took Osweiller that early because they wanted to groom him behind Manning, it would defeat the whole purpose by not giving him any practice reps. Plus, I remember reading news last off-season where he was already taking the second team reps.

general mills
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby general mills » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:46 am

This is from last season OTAs Brock was talking about Manning giving them advice:
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/201 ... ice/13810/

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22 ... b-osweiler
Although Broncos rookie quarterback Brock Osweiler attempted only four passes as the seldom-used backup to Peyton Manning, coach John Fox and team executive John Elway said Monday they were impressed with the former Arizona State Sun Devil.

During the Broncos' annual end-of-the-season news conference, Fox and Elway were asked if they had seen enough of Osweiler on the practice field to consider him the Broncos' quarterback of the future.

"I believe so," Fox said. "Brock didn't get as many game situations. I think that's a positive thing (that he wasn't needed).

"What he did, I thought he did well. You get evaluated by what you do (on game days). But I like his temperament. I feel real positive about Brock Osweiler.

A
Denver Broncos

6-foot-8, 240-pounder who turned 22 on Nov. 22, Osweiler is one of the NFL's youngest players. At ASU, he was a full-time starter for only one season ( 2011), but he completed 326-of-516 passes for 4,036 yards, with 26 touchdowns against 13 interceptions that season.

The Broncos selected Osweiler in the second round of the 2012 draft, the 57th overall pick. This season in mop-up duty, Osweiler completed 2-of-4 passes for 12 yards, usually handing off the ball to run out the clock at the end of victories.

"Brock made the progress that we thought he would," Elway said. "I've gotten to know what he is as a guy and how he is on the practice field.

"He fits in real well in this building," Elway added. "He does really well with his teammates and in working with Peyton. I'm thrilled with his progress so far."

Read more: Fox, Elway remain high on Broncos backup QB Osweiler - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22 ... z2M1KeyeIC
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook