2024 OTA's/Training Camp Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: 2024 OTA's/Training Camp Thread

Postby mild » Mon May 27, 2024 5:37 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:27 am
tstafford wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:24 am I think it's possible that we'd all be better at FF if we ignored everything that happens b/w the draft and week one.
There are useful things pertaining to how players may be schemed in an offense that can give you an edge.
By all means, nothing's stopping anyone from dipping out for a bit and catching back up closer to Aug/September. There's really nothing else new to talk about in the NFL sphere, though. If you don't like it... then just dip for a bit. Or ignore the thread that has "OTA's" in the title. Whatever works best for you.

FWIW Puka started generating quite a bit of camp hype around this time last year. Not that it helped -me- get in on him, but certainly once he balled out in Week 1, I knew it probably wasn't a fluke, and was a thing that had a chance to be real. I adjusted accordingly.

If the drum beat is consistent, it can absolutely help you get the drop on people. In a game where we are sometimes (even often) handsomely rewarded for being able to correctly recognise talent in the early-going, that's no small thing. I'll take every edge I can get.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon May 27, 2024 5:42 am

mild wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:37 am
tstafford wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:24 am I think it's possible that we'd all be better at FF if we ignored everything that happens b/w the draft and week one.
There are useful things pertaining to how players may be schemed in an offense that can give you an edge.
By all means, nothing's stopping anyone from dipping out for a bit and catching back up closer to Aug/September. There's really nothing else new to talk about in the NFL sphere, though. If you don't like it... then just dip for a bit. Or ignore the thread that has "OTA's" in the title. Whatever works best for you.

FWIW Puka started generating quite a bit of camp hype around this time last year. Not that it helped -me- get in on him, but certainly once he balled out in Week 1, I knew it probably wasn't a fluke, and was a thing that had a chance to be real. I adjusted accordingly.

If the drum beat is consistent, it can absolutely help you get the drop on people. In a game where we are sometimes (even often) handsomely rewarded for being able to correctly recognise talent in the early-going, that's no small thing. I'll take every edge I can get.
Darren Waller years ago also comes to mind. Allen Robinson in 2015 is another one. There's definitely some things you can pocket for later. If you play redraft, the discount people got in Chase's rookie season because of concerns about drops in training camp was an amazing time.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon May 27, 2024 7:15 am

mild wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:37 am

I hope you realize I was in part being tongue in cheek. I totally understand that the audience in this thread isn't ignoring the non-playing season.

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Mon May 27, 2024 9:42 am

What is hard is cutting through the noise.

I remember Michael Thomas being a mid/late 1st pick prior to the preseason… then he went and balled out. He was taken 1.02 in one of the leagues I was in and I thought ‘reach’. It was ME who ended up wrong on that one.

95% (probably more) of what is put out there is fluff… but there is some value to some of it. It is just finding the signal through the noise that is difficult.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Caleb, Purdy, Levis, Penix
RB: Pacheco, Estime, Vaughn
WR: Nabers, Coleman, Downs, EMoore, Jeudy, Burton, MMims, MWilson
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Sinnott, Mayer
2025: 3 1sts, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, 2 4ths

SafeLeague #2
QB: Caleb, Richardson, Purdy, JJMcCarthy
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Nabers, Worthy, McConkey, Brian Thomas Jr, Pearsall, Mims, Burton, Mingo, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Bowers, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker
2025: 3 1sts, 2 2nds

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon May 27, 2024 10:39 am

I’m seeing some posts saying that Dameon Pierce will be a thing this year in a 1-2 punch with Mixon.

I also read that the Vikings were considering a move up in the draft to land Nabers….and then trade Jefferson

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon May 27, 2024 1:55 pm

Holy crap. Seriously?

People at a FF board are getting their panties tied in knots because someone is reporting football news?

FF, please delete your thread. News from OTAs is upsetting the delicate constitutions of some of our members here. We need to make certain we don’t upset them and use their chosen pronouns.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon May 27, 2024 2:12 pm

And this one is especially for you Cameron. I post my opinions based on what I see on the field. Everyone here likes to be right when they offer an opinion on a player, but for me personally, I would much rather post what I believe is an honest evaluation and then be proven dead wrong - which I have no truck owning, as I’ve shown in the past - if it means that a guy takes his God given talent and turns it into a great career that makes him phenomenally wealthy rather than not taking advantage of such a rare opportunity.

I’m not invested in anyone’s failure. That just sucks. But when I watch tape of a QB who is allegedly generational and see a guy who has processing issues, then some others see the same thing in their evaluation, and then it shows up in the field in NFL practices in skeleton drills that are the easiest situations in practice other than going against air, that’s noteworthy don’t you think? So yeah, I feel it should be posted for discussion, so if you or KGoat thinks it has literally no value, feel free to ignore it.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon May 27, 2024 2:26 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:55 pm Holy crap. Seriously?

People at a FF board are getting their panties tied in knots because someone is reporting football news?

FF, please delete your thread. News from OTAs is upsetting the delicate constitutions of some of our members here. We need to make certain we don’t upset them and use their chosen pronouns.
How can you possibly call anyone delicate after that response?
Bronco Billy wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:12 pm And this one is especially for you Cameron. I post my opinions based on what I see on the field. Everyone here likes to be right when they offer an opinion on a player, but for me personally, I would much rather post what I believe is an honest evaluation and then be proven dead wrong - which I have no truck owning, as I’ve shown in the past - if it means that a guy takes his God given talent and turns it into a great career that makes him phenomenally wealthy rather than not taking advantage of such a rare opportunity.

I’m not invested in anyone’s failure. That just sucks. But when I watch tape of a QB who is allegedly generational and see a guy who has processing issues, then some others see the same thing in their evaluation, and then it shows up in the field in NFL practices in skeleton drills that are the easiest situations in practice other than going against air, that’s noteworthy don’t you think? So yeah, I feel it should be posted for discussion, so if you or KGoat thinks it has literally no value, feel free to ignore it.
You're creating something out of nothing, especially when I didn't even respond to you in the first place. I responded to Mild's post where he wondered about why Williams may have had a bad practice and I simply gave my reasoning. It's the NFL. He's a rookie QB. It's May. Rookie QBs have bad practices. We've all been playing dynasty for a long time. "News" like this is not unique or concerning.

You're offended, because I didn't react the way you wanted someone to and dismissed the importance of it. I never said you couldn't post what you wanted in this thread or even continue discussing that particular info. I'm free to say something doesn't matter, just like you're free to post it. If you want to discuss it with those who believe it matters, then wait for someone who does and reply to them.
Last edited by Cameron Giles on Mon May 27, 2024 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon May 27, 2024 2:26 pm

BB, if you're saying you're concerned about Caleb in OTAs in May, I think it's WAY too early for that. The day before he was tearing apart the DEF. There is nothing to see here, nothing at all. If it sets off alarm bells, cool, then keep monitoring it, but as a Bears fan who has been watching EVERYTHING in great detail, I have nearly ZERO concerns about Caleb at this point. None. Zilch. Nada. He does not have "processing issues" IMO He was also missing two OL and two of his starting WRs.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/why-panic- ... erreaction

^^^^This is a great article explaining why it's an overreaction.
D3:
QB—Allen, JJM RB—Gibbs, Kamara, Jacobs, LLOYD, Zamir, Edwards, Ford, Warren, McLaughlin WR—MHJ, Lamb, Olave, DJM, Shaheed, RICE, VJefferson TE—Engram, Muth, Washington, Kraft, THEO PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK, CORLEY, COWING, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING, MWASHINGTON TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS, Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE, Goff, Cousins, PENIX RB: Bijan, BRob, Zamir, Allgeier, McLaughlin, Hull WR: HARRISON, DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, COWING, Reynolds TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Hurst, WILEY, Trautman, Tremble, Dissly, Reiman

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon May 27, 2024 2:43 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:26 pm BB, if you're saying you're concerned about Caleb in OTAs in May, I think it's WAY too early for that. The day before he was tearing apart the DEF. There is nothing to see here, nothing at all. If it sets off alarm bells, cool, then keep monitoring it, but as a Bears fan who has been watching EVERYTHING in great detail, I have nearly ZERO concerns about Caleb at this point. None. Zilch. Nada. He does not have "processing issues" IMO He was also missing two OL and two of his starting WRs.

You can feel free to ignore the information too. If it is proven later to mean nothing, then that’s fine. But data supporting what is considered by some to be a flaw in an allegedly slam dunk player ought to be posted for people to see. Maybe he’ll fix the problem. But maybe not. I like information. If you don’t, move on.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon May 27, 2024 2:50 pm

Sorry to mess up this thread. My position is that we’re members of this board to share opinions snd information about NFL players. It doesn’t matter if that’s in February, during the Combine and Pro Days, in OTAs, PS, or TC ot midseason. If I’m wrong, please let me know and I’ll stop.

But in the meantime I’ll disengage with the targeted discussions on CW. There were some statements that I found personally offensive or dismissive and responded. I’ll move on.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon May 27, 2024 3:17 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:43 pm
wickerkat1212 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:26 pm BB, if you're saying you're concerned about Caleb in OTAs in May, I think it's WAY too early for that. The day before he was tearing apart the DEF. There is nothing to see here, nothing at all. If it sets off alarm bells, cool, then keep monitoring it, but as a Bears fan who has been watching EVERYTHING in great detail, I have nearly ZERO concerns about Caleb at this point. None. Zilch. Nada. He does not have "processing issues" IMO He was also missing two OL and two of his starting WRs.

You can feel free to ignore the information too. If it is proven later to mean nothing, then that’s fine. But data supporting what is considered by some to be a flaw in an allegedly slam dunk player ought to be posted for people to see. Maybe he’ll fix the problem. But maybe not. I like information. If you don’t, move on.
Right, but I'm disagreeing that this is a "flaw"—it's a learning curve. AND he was missing key OL/WR. It's not data it's conjecture and opinion. He is the consensus #1 QB but nobody said there wouldn't be time needed to get up to speed in the NFL. If we're in pre-season and you're seeing this, then yes, we might be able to call this a "flaw." And even those who have called CW a "slam dunk" aren't saying he's perfect. Nobody is saying that, every player has +/-. It's not a problem. It's one day. If you're going count this then count the day before when he was shredding the DEF, too.
D3:
QB—Allen, JJM RB—Gibbs, Kamara, Jacobs, LLOYD, Zamir, Edwards, Ford, Warren, McLaughlin WR—MHJ, Lamb, Olave, DJM, Shaheed, RICE, VJefferson TE—Engram, Muth, Washington, Kraft, THEO PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK, CORLEY, COWING, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING, MWASHINGTON TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS, Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE, Goff, Cousins, PENIX RB: Bijan, BRob, Zamir, Allgeier, McLaughlin, Hull WR: HARRISON, DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, COWING, Reynolds TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Hurst, WILEY, Trautman, Tremble, Dissly, Reiman

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon May 27, 2024 3:19 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:50 pm Sorry to mess up this thread. My position is that we’re members of this board to share opinions snd information about NFL players. It doesn’t matter if that’s in February, during the Combine and Pro Days, in OTAs, PS, or TC ot midseason. If I’m wrong, please let me know and I’ll stop.

But in the meantime I’ll disengage with the targeted discussions on CW. There were some statements that I found personally offensive or dismissive and responded. I’ll move on.
And that's all good—I personally welcome all thoughts, opinions, facts, data, analytics, hunches, trends, feelings, and hope. I actually value your opinions, quite a bit, and even some takes that go against the grain—sometimes I agree with those the most. We're all guessing here, we're all projecting, and estimating, and hoping we get it right.

No worries, mate.
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon May 27, 2024 4:06 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:50 pm Sorry to mess up this thread. My position is that we’re members of this board to share opinions snd information about NFL players. It doesn’t matter if that’s in February, during the Combine and Pro Days, in OTAs, PS, or TC ot midseason. If I’m wrong, please let me know and I’ll stop.
Saying something doesn't matter and explaining logically why it doesn't matter is....wait for it....an opinion.

I don't know what you gaslit yourself into, but it wasn't that deep to begin with.

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Mon May 27, 2024 4:37 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:17 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:43 pm

Right, but I'm disagreeing that this is a "flaw"—it's a learning curve. AND he was missing key OL/WR. It's not data it's conjecture and opinion. He is the consensus #1 QB but nobody said there wouldn't be time needed to get up to speed in the NFL. If we're in pre-season and you're seeing this, then yes, we might be able to call this a "flaw." And even those who have called CW a "slam dunk" aren't saying he's perfect. Nobody is saying that, every player has +/-. It's not a problem. It's one day. If you're going count this then count the day before when he was shredding the DEF, too.
So, I understand where BB is coming from because I had similar concerns about CW as a prospect. Don’t get me wrong, I still think he’s a good prospect, and I would draft him 1.01 in SF. But he held the ball… FOREVER… in college. Maybe it was because he was so good at extending plays with his mobility. But some, including myself, wondered if there wasn’t some issues with processing speed. I don’t think anyone is taking one bad practice and making a mountain out of it. Rather, when you see something that was already a concern of yours regarding CW also showing up on the practice field, it makes you take notice. No existing opinions anyone had before should be drastically altered by this practice report. Just another small piece of information for us to place in the puzzle. I agree that mistakes happen in practice even by the greats. Maybe that’s what this is. Time will tell.