2024 OTA's/Training Camp Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: 2024 OTA's/Training Camp Thread

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun May 26, 2024 4:47 pm

mild wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:12 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:04 pm He's also a rookie QB who's a month into a new offense that's also without two major additions. Struggles should happen.
Sure. But 3 completions in a full 7-on-7 period... that is... quite bad :lol:

Holding the ball too long is one area I had an actual slight concern with for CW. He's simply not going to be able to do it behind that OL this year against NFL defenders; they'll tee off on him.

Anyway, it's OTA's, I'll R-e-l-a-x now. :D
I think this is a common area for a lot of QBs transitioning, especially when you're used to playing with an OL better than the majority of the pass rush on your schedule.

I'm just always fascinated that people act like they've never experienced an NFL offseason before.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun May 26, 2024 5:01 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:38 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:23 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:04 pm

He's also a rookie QB who's a month into a new offense that's also without two major additions. Struggles should happen.
These are 7 on 7 drills and hats & tees practices. It’s a QB’s amusement park. You don’t see any of the other rookie QBs in these same situations unable to complete passes. I guess we’re just going to get subjected to all sorts of excuse making.
If you're in a dynasty league that scoring OTAs, then it's definitely a bad time and maybe you should consider a different QB to start for the next practice. Otherwise, this is a rookie QB learning an offense and doing so without two major offseason additions. He will throw more interceptions. He will throw touchdowns, completions, and incompletions.

I get you're on your crusade to prove your points about Caleb Williams, but logically, I don't think anyone's opinion of him should be changing because of a 7 on 7 that happened on a Sunday in May.
Wow. Snarky. Who would have guessed?

How is it that all the other top 6 rookie QBs are getting very positive reviews - Penix was getting some mixed reviews on overthrows but otherwise good - in a situation where QBs have a huge advantage over the D, but we’re just supposed to completely ignore CW falling very flat in the same type of situation?

Since you’re the self appointed authority on this, when are we allowed to start making comments on player performance?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun May 26, 2024 5:13 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:01 pm

These are 7 on 7 drills and hats & tees practices. It’s a QB’s amusement park. You don’t see any of the other rookie QBs in these same situations unable to complete passes. I guess we’re just going to get subjected to all sorts of excuse making.
If you're in a dynasty league that scoring OTAs, then it's definitely a bad time and maybe you should consider a different QB to start for the next practice. Otherwise, this is a rookie QB learning an offense and doing so without two major offseason additions. He will throw more interceptions. He will throw touchdowns, completions, and incompletions.

I get you're on your crusade to prove your points about Caleb Williams, but logically, I don't think anyone's opinion of him should be changing because of a 7 on 7 that happened on a Sunday in May.
Wow. Snarky. Who would have guessed?

How is it that all the other top 6 rookie QBs are getting very positive reviews - Penix was getting some mixed reviews on overthrows but otherwise good - in a situation where QBs have a huge advantage over the D, but we’re just supposed to completely ignore CW falling very flat in the same type of situation?

Since you’re the self appointed authority on this, when are we allowed to start making comments on player performance?
There are QBs in this class that I'm not high on and I don't care if they are doing well or struggling in OTAs. It's May. I'm not even saying that you can't take things away from the offseason. I'm saying that given the context, this means nothing in the long run. Would you care if the report was about Williams throwing bombs and touchdowns on every attempt? Would your long-term thoughts on Williams change? Probably not right?

But, feel free to post more 7-on-7 updates and feign impartiality.

ThirdWW
Captain
Captain

Postby ThirdWW » Sun May 26, 2024 6:22 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:04 pm

He's also a rookie QB who's a month into a new offense that's also without two major additions. Struggles should happen.

Didn’t CJ Stroud look like dog bleep last preseason?
Team One:
Year 12
12 team, .5 ppr
QB 2RB 3WR TE FLEX K DL LB DB

QB - CJ Stroud
RB - Tank Bigsby, Sean Tucker, Chris Rodriguez, cans
WR - Garrett Wilson, Drake London, JSN, Jahan Dotson, Demario Douglas
TE - Kyle Pitts, Cade Otton, Chig Okonkwo

2024 Picks: 1.1, 1.2, 1.9, 2.6, 2.10, 3.1, 3.2, 3.7, 4.1, 4.10
2025 Picks: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4

Team Two:
Year 2
12 team, .5 ppr, SF
QB SF 2RB 3WR TE 2FLEX K

QB - Joe Burrow, Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones
RB - Roschon Johnson, Kendre Miller, cans
WR - Amon-Ra St. Brown, Chris Olave, Jaylen Waddle, Jordan Addison, Jahan Dotson, Demario Douglas, Elijah Moore, Wan’Dale Robinson
TE - Kyle Pitts, Trey McBride, Jake Ferguson, Chig

2024 Picks: 1.08, 1.12, 2.11, 4.1, 4.11
2025 Picks 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Sun May 26, 2024 6:23 pm

And the day before he was lighting up the DEF. If he's playing against a good DEF there should be struggles. What's that cheesy saying—steel sharpens steel? He was also missing TWO OL and TWO WR. It's May. This is one huge nothingburger. From our own DLF—

Dynasty Analysis

In what amounts to be nothing more than an overreaction news piece, it seems Williams is reportedly being thrown into the fire early in Chicago and struggling against the Bears first-string defense. Dynasty managers should keep in mind we're not even into June, so this is nothing more than a rookie getting his feet wet in the NFL. Williams remains the favorite to be the 1.01 in Superflex drafts this off-season.
D3:
QB—Allen, JJM RB—Gibbs, Kamara, Jacobs, LLOYD, Zamir, Edwards, Ford, Warren, McLaughlin WR—MHJ, Lamb, Olave, DJM, Shaheed, RICE, VJefferson TE—Engram, Muth, Washington, Kraft, THEO PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK, CORLEY, COWING, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING, MWASHINGTON TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS, Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE, Goff, Cousins, PENIX RB: Bijan, BRob, Zamir, Allgeier, McLaughlin, Hull WR: HARRISON, DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, COWING, Reynolds TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Hurst, WILEY, Trautman, Tremble, Dissly, Reiman

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Sun May 26, 2024 6:25 pm

I'd mentioned elsewhere that Hollywood is getting some love in practice and already media pundits are saying he could emerge at the WR1, with Rice in trouble (suspension) and Worthy a rookie. FWIW.

I've also seen lots of camp noise and love for Caleb, Daniels, JJM, Nabers, Odunze, Pearsall, Corley, etc.
D3:
QB—Allen, JJM RB—Gibbs, Kamara, Jacobs, LLOYD, Zamir, Edwards, Ford, Warren, McLaughlin WR—MHJ, Lamb, Olave, DJM, Shaheed, RICE, VJefferson TE—Engram, Muth, Washington, Kraft, THEO PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK, CORLEY, COWING, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING, MWASHINGTON TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS, Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE, Goff, Cousins, PENIX RB: Bijan, BRob, Zamir, Allgeier, McLaughlin, Hull WR: HARRISON, DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, COWING, Reynolds TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Hurst, WILEY, Trautman, Tremble, Dissly, Reiman

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sun May 26, 2024 7:00 pm

Oh no. A rookie qb had some problems in one of his first practices. Let's take him off our boards.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun May 26, 2024 7:03 pm

ThirdWW wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:22 pm

Didn’t CJ Stroud look like dog bleep last preseason?
Stroud was splitting 1st team reps with Mills for months and did have some struggles (gasp) during the offseason.

I'll do you one better.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/242 ... d-mistakes

Mahomes was struggling during his first camp as a starter. You know, before he threw 50 touchdowns and won MVP.

It's almost like inexperienced starters struggle sometimes. I'm looking more into it.

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Sun May 26, 2024 7:44 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:25 pm I'd mentioned elsewhere that Hollywood is getting some love in practice and already media pundits are saying he could emerge at the WR1, with Rice in trouble (suspension) and Worthy a rookie. FWIW.

I've also seen lots of camp noise and love for Caleb, Daniels, JJM, Nabers, Odunze, Pearsall, Corley, etc.
Keep these reports coming. It might only be May, but I love hearing positive reports about JJM. In my 2QB league, I’m really hoping either him or Levis (or both) hit big so I have some depth/trade bait to work with.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon May 27, 2024 3:24 am

I think it's possible that we'd all be better at FF if we ignored everything that happens b/w the draft and week one.

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Mon May 27, 2024 3:27 am

tstafford wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:24 am I think it's possible that we'd all be better at FF if we ignored everything that happens b/w the draft and week one.
Coach speak, Contract jockeying, general preferences. The media at this point is grasping at anything they can like a starved cat. Got to hand it to Rashee, he legitimately made headlines.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon May 27, 2024 3:39 am

TheTroll wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:27 am
tstafford wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:24 am I think it's possible that we'd all be better at FF if we ignored everything that happens b/w the draft and week one.
Coach speak, Contract jockeying, general preferences. The media at this point is grasping at anything they can like a starved cat. Got to hand it to Rashee, he legitimately made headlines.
Yep. And for every Rice type story there are 10 (or more) silly ones like this CW stuff. Given that ratio, maybe just shutting down is a better move.

Case in point - the stuff about J.Chase dropping passes in training camp his rookie year pushed down his value. His ADP right after the '21 draft was as player #20 in 1QB and it dropped to 30 by July.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon May 27, 2024 5:18 am

Yep.
Though I'd be okay with moving up from week1 to the second week of preseason. Rookies and Free Agents can often do things in preseason games that give us a better idea of who they might perform (or be utilized by coaches) in the regular season that fantasy managers could interpret meaningfully.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver, Waller
2023 semifinals loser

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon May 27, 2024 5:27 am

There are useful things pertaining to how players may be schemed in an offense that can give you an edge. But otherwise, "rookie throws an interception" isn't catching my attention.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Mon May 27, 2024 5:36 am

Anybody that tweets the completion rate of a qb in practice needs to be ignored on every other piece of "information" he hands out.