Bryce Young

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Bryce Young

Postby Ice » Sat May 25, 2024 8:17 am

Seeing NFL trades through the lens of hindsight is as easy as it gets.

Wasn't so long ago many around here were bashing the Texans for trading up to select Will Anderson 3rd overall.

Don't see those people here today bragging about how smart they were for being so wrong when the Texans traded the No. 12 and No. 33 picks plus a 2024 first and third-round pick for Anderson and the 105th pick.

That netted them the Defensive Rookie of the year and an absolute stud.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat May 25, 2024 8:44 am

Ice wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:17 am Seeing NFL trades through the lens of hindsight is as easy as it gets.

Wasn't so long ago many around here were bashing the Texans for trading up to select Will Anderson 3rd overall.

Don't see those people here today bragging about how smart they were for being so wrong when the Texans traded the No. 12 and No. 33 picks plus a 2024 first and third-round pick for Anderson and the 105th pick.

Hey that was me :lol:

The Texans taking off in Stroud's rookie year and making that a playoff 1st made a huge difference. I (along with many others) thought the Texans would be a middling team at best. They still paid max price to move up, but they got their guy so in hindsight it looks like a good trade up.

Carolina absolutely overpaid to move up to 1. But it was not bad process and nearly everyone had Bryce #1, if not #2. Bad process was everything else they did and allowing that 24 1st to turn into Caleb. That pick alone holds more value than Bryce. Had Houston been the worst team in the league, people would be using hindsight against them all the same

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sat May 25, 2024 1:37 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:50 am
MacDaddy123 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:35 am I disagree. I thought the price of the trade was egregious the moment I saw it, well before the draft.
Panthers paid up like there was a top QB prospect in the 2023 draft class.
Like Burrow, TLaw, or even Caleb was sitting there waiting to be picked.

I realize that the 2023 QB class looked better after teams got past the 2022 QB class, but we all knew that the 24 QB class would be stronger, even before the 2023 draft.

Just because you over-pay for a Toyota does not make the Toyota a Mercedes.
Panthers paid Mercedes prices for a Toyota draft class of QB prospects.

Had they paid that for the 1.01 in 2024, I would not have batted an eye.
If the Bears were moving the 2024 1.01, they would have laughed at the offer they took for the 2023 1.01.

I get you're exaggerating, but Young and Stroud were not considered Toyota-level QB prospects. It wasn't the Jared Goff and Carson Wentz draft. Sure, neither of them were considered all-time great prospects like Luck, Lawrence or someone along those lines. But, they were about as close as you could get without being all-time great.

This is always going to be a QB-driven league, and you can't afford to keep turning down chance after chance to get one like the Panthers had been doing. Carolina had been punting on drafting a QB for years and it had finally caught up to them:

2022 - Ikem Ekonwu (6th overall)
2021 - Jaycee Horn (8th overall)
2020 - Derrick Brown (7th overall)

At some point, you have to stick your neck out. It wasn't as simple as "well, just be bad for another year and wait for 2024".

I think Anteaters is right. Even though they gave up a ton, it's difficult to put a price on QB security in the NFL. Sometimes it will work, and sometimes it won't. But when it does work, there's no way you would you trade that for what you gave up initially. The buyer has no leverage in these situations and it almost always ends with them getting fleeced before the pick is announced.
The same way the rest of the country laughed at the Panthers for what they paid last year for 1.01. :lol:

Sure, why wouldn't the Bears expect more for the 1.01 in 2024, when a legitimate 1.01 was on the board?
They would only laugh at that offer because they found some clown willing to pay that for much, much less just a year ago. :roll:

Many NFL teams punt on QB for years before finally paying up, but that is no excuse to way over-pay.
I mean Indianapolis, Washington, Houston, and others were in a similar situation, and managed to survive without selling the farm.

I still remember laughing at the thought that the Bears thought they could trade rape a team in the NFL in 2023 with a slightly above average QB class coming out. Not like these were stud prospects like 2015, when Mariota and Winston were coming out.
This was closer to a Goff/Wentz class than a Mariota/Winston class.

Well, I was stunned, the Bears were right, they found the league clown. :lol:

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sat May 25, 2024 2:11 pm

Ice wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:17 am Seeing NFL trades through the lens of hindsight is as easy as it gets.

When people look at the Anderson trade now they just see Anderson as being good. Conversely, the opposite side of that trade was very good.

Gibbs went 12.
33 was Levis (they didn't need him with Stroud) but they could have taken LaPorta who went next. Or Mayer who went after that.
This year AZ took Darious Robison with Houston's 1. But Worthy went next or any other WR thereafter was an option. Wiggins was still OTB.

Anderson is great. It's just hard for 1 player to equal that many other players if you don't bomb every one. I think both sides are likely happy.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat May 25, 2024 4:27 pm

Lumps wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:11 pm

When people look at the Anderson trade now they just see Anderson as being good. Conversely, the opposite side of that trade was very good.

Gibbs went 12.
33 was Levis (they didn't need him with Stroud) but they could have taken LaPorta who went next. Or Mayer who went after that.
This year AZ took Darious Robison with Houston's 1. But Worthy went next or any other WR thereafter was an option. Wiggins was still OTB.

Anderson is great. It's just hard for 1 player to equal that many other players if you don't bomb every one. I think both sides are likely happy.
I agree both sides are happy. That wasn't really the point.

The point is it is very early to be taking victory laps. The reality is he was very good in college and his last two years he threw for 79 TD's against 12 picks with over a 65% completion percentage and over 8,000 yards in 27 games.

He was on a very good team in the SEC and last year he was on a very bad team. No one really knows what jump he will take this year. Aikman went 0-11 as a number 1 pick, Manning went 3-13 with 28 picks in their rookie years. That said, he could also be JaMarcus Russell.

My guess is somewhere in between.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 25, 2024 8:05 pm

I'm going to give year 1 a pass, but I have my doubts. T Law with a really bad coach was awful. I don't think Reich is in the same conversation as Urban, nor do I think they are similarly skilled. I am a huge fan of puns and won't pass up the opportunity, so fair warning. :D I've been inspired by "Crashee Rice", which I someone overlooked through the process. If he's not any good after year 2, I'm going to bring out the "Bryce Dung" comments.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun May 26, 2024 1:09 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:05 pm I'm going to give year 1 a pass, but I have my doubts. T Law with a really bad coach was awful. I don't think Reich is in the same conversation as Urban, nor do I think they are similarly skilled. I am a huge fan of puns and won't pass up the opportunity, so fair warning. :D I've been inspired by "Crashee Rice", which I someone overlooked through the process. If he's not any good after year 2, I'm going to bring out the "Bryce Dung" comments.
:lol:

Just idly wondering. What happens if Tom Brady Jr (AOC) has a better second season than Bryce Young? Does that break dynasty football?
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver, Waller
2023 semifinals loser

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun May 26, 2024 2:14 am

Anteaters wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:09 am Just idly wondering. What happens if Tom Brady Jr (AOC) has a better second season than Bryce Young? Does that break dynasty football?
Brock Purdy, drafted a whole two rounds later than AOC - had a better fantasy year than Patrick Mahomes* last season and we all seemed to do fine. No exploding heads that I saw, at least.

*and Trevor Lawrence
*and Tua in his best year yet as a Pro
*and Herbert, and Burrow, and so on...

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Sun May 26, 2024 5:01 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:05 pm I'm going to give year 1 a pass, but I have my doubts. T Law with a really bad coach was awful. I don't think Reich is in the same conversation as Urban, nor do I think they are similarly skilled. I am a huge fan of puns and won't pass up the opportunity, so fair warning. :D I've been inspired by "Crashee Rice", which I someone overlooked through the process. If he's not any good after year 2, I'm going to bring out the "Bryce Dung" comments.
I think the body of your comments already have you firmly committed to the “Bryce Young is bad at NFL football” camp. Don’t try to play both sides now!
Team 1 (Rebuild ): 12-tm SF 0.5PPR/1.0PP1D
QB: Williams, Young, Tannehill
RB: Herbert, Akers, Gibson, Wilson, Abanikanda
WR: MHJ, Nabers, Flowers, Pickens, Dotson, Downs, Chark, Boyd, Douglas
TE: Knox
Picks: 3 ‘25 1s, 4 ‘25 2s, ‘25 3

Team 2: 14-tm SF PPR/1.5TEP
QB: Burrow, Wilson, Lance
RB: JT, Mixon, Pollard, Laube, Guerendo, Hill, Patterson, Hines
WR: Hill, Cooper, DK, DJM, D. Samuel, Sutton
TE: Freiermuth, Gesicki, Hudson
Picks: ‘25 3rd, ‘25 4th

Team 3 10-tm SF PPR
QB: Mahomes, Dak, Watson, Jones
RB: JT, AK, Jacobs, Brooks, Benson, Zeke, Singletary
WR: AJB, Diggs, Allen, Cooper, Wilson, Kirk, Sutton, Williams, Bateman, E. Moore
TE: Goedert, Bowers, Schultz, Granson, Hill

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed May 29, 2024 1:07 pm

blemly wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:01 am
I think the body of your comments already have you firmly committed to the “Bryce Young is bad at NFL football” camp. Don’t try to play both sides now!
Well yeah, I think he is, unless there's a miraculous turnaround. I am at least in the camp of, he's not worth the first pick in the draft, and never was. He may yet become a serviceable QB, but I don't see a top end QB at any point. Never did. That's why I thought he was a reach.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Wed May 29, 2024 1:21 pm

This is probably a scorching hot take, but the Panthers this year really remind me of the Rams the year McVay took over. Now, it's not 1:1, but you've got a #1 pick QB who struggled playing for a pretty bad coach, who now is playing for someone that seems an awful lot like an offensive mastermind.

They had laughable, at best, options at WR. I'm not insane high on either Johnson or Legette but they're clear improvements.

The O line had a rebirth, they have a shiny new RB, etc...

I don't think Bryce and the Panthers are going to take the world by storm but I'm betting on them to be much, much better.

81-
Captain
Captain

Postby 81- » Wed May 29, 2024 1:50 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:05 pm "Bryce Dung"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

so stealing that one
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed May 29, 2024 2:42 pm

JoshGordonsDealer wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:21 pm This is probably a scorching hot take, but the Panthers this year really remind me of the Rams the year McVay took over. Now, it's not 1:1, but you've got a #1 pick QB who struggled playing for a pretty bad coach, who now is playing for someone that seems an awful lot like an offensive mastermind.

They had laughable, at best, options at WR. I'm not insane high on either Johnson or Legette but they're clear improvements.

I don't think Bryce and the Panthers are going to take the world by storm but I'm betting on them to be much, much better.
Their RB is coming off an ACL, and Leggette is definitely not a clear improvement to Mingo. I'll take that bet. I don't see more than 5 wins, max.

What do you consider to be much, much better?
Janiel Dones Truther

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed May 29, 2024 2:46 pm

JoshGordonsDealer wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:21 pm This is probably a scorching hot take, but the Panthers this year really remind me of the Rams the year McVay took over. Now, it's not 1:1, but you've got a #1 pick QB who struggled playing for a pretty bad coach, who now is playing for someone that seems an awful lot like an offensive mastermind.

Can't be worse, right?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed May 29, 2024 2:51 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:46 pm

Can't be worse, right?
Right. Nothing looks worse on paper, though that doesn't necessarily guarantee improvement either.

Johnson is a big improvement over any WR they had last year. Hunt is a big improvement over any guard they had last year. I'd like to think Brooks is better than Sanders and Hubbard, though he's coming off ACL.

Canales has a proven track record with QBs, but we'll see how he does as a HC.