Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby wickerkat1212 » Fri May 24, 2024 8:50 pm

AH found it. So, more OPINION than fact, but this is what I saw. https://twitter.com/YahooFantasy/status ... 3919985075 How do you imbed a Twitter video? This wasn't YouTube.
D3:
QB—Allen, JJM RB—Gibbs, Kamara, Jacobs, LLOYD, Zamir, Edwards, Ford, Warren, McLaughlin WR—MHJ, Lamb, Olave, DJM, Shaheed, RICE, VJefferson TE—Engram, Muth, Washington, Kraft, THEO PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK, CORLEY, COWING, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING, MWASHINGTON TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS, Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE, Goff, Cousins, PENIX RB: Bijan, BRob, Zamir, Allgeier, McLaughlin, Hull WR: HARRISON, DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, COWING, Reynolds TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Hurst, WILEY, Trautman, Tremble, Dissly, Reiman

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri May 24, 2024 8:51 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:47 pm Sorry, wasn't able to figure out how to imbed Tweets. Thanks. I wasn't stating as FACT just saying that I heard he was emerging as the WR1. But like we said, Rice is just trying to stay out of jail right now, or at least stop sabotaging his career, and beyond him there really isn't much competition. I could have sworn I saw somebody on KC say he was "emerging as the WR1" but I can't find the tweet.
(Hint: it doesn't exist)

Here's an idea: Let's not declare a new WR1 in KC in May.

We haven't had camp yet.
They haven't had the WR they took in the 1st round out there yet.
Basically nothing of consequence has happened.
Anything people are saying now is simply a projection, and perhaps even an accurate one.

R-E-L-A-X

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Fri May 24, 2024 9:07 pm

mild wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:51 pm
wickerkat1212 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:47 pm Sorry, wasn't able to figure out how to imbed Tweets. Thanks. I wasn't stating as FACT just saying that I heard he was emerging as the WR1. But like we said, Rice is just trying to stay out of jail right now, or at least stop sabotaging his career, and beyond him there really isn't much competition. I could have sworn I saw somebody on KC say he was "emerging as the WR1" but I can't find the tweet.
(Hint: it doesn't exist)

Here's an idea: Let's not declare a new WR1 in KC in May.

We haven't had camp yet.
They haven't had the WR they took in the 1st round out there yet.
Basically nothing of consequence has happened.
Anything people are saying now is simply a projection, and perhaps even an accurate one.

R-E-L-A-X
Fair enough, all I said was people/media/etc were saying that he was EMERGING at the WR1. But I hear you. Here's another take I like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-JY8ZMvGqw
D3:
QB—Allen, JJM RB—Gibbs, Kamara, Jacobs, LLOYD, Zamir, Edwards, Ford, Warren, McLaughlin WR—MHJ, Lamb, Olave, DJM, Shaheed, RICE, VJefferson TE—Engram, Muth, Washington, Kraft, THEO PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK, CORLEY, COWING, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING, MWASHINGTON TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS, Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE, Goff, Cousins, PENIX RB: Bijan, BRob, Zamir, Allgeier, McLaughlin, Hull WR: HARRISON, DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, COWING, Reynolds TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Hurst, WILEY, Trautman, Tremble, Dissly, Reiman

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sat May 25, 2024 2:12 am

Anteaters wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:25 am I don't know if JSN's ADP dropping is a case of dynasty managers being impatient, or a case of the non-stop Internet hype raising expectations sky high. Or a combination of the two.
That's an interesting point. I've been chalking it up to impatience. It could definitely be, maybe in large part, an issue of people wanting to believe the hype. Case in point - so much was put on the quote from G.Willson that JSN was the best WR on the team when GW, Olave and JSN were all there. Seemed weird to me at the time that a large segment of the community wasn't taking that with a grain of salt.

Maybe the learning here is that we should have ignored G.Wilson and paid attention to the NFL. It meant something that he went 1.20. Teams didn't treat him as "elite". The dynasty community was out of step with the NFL. If that's right, then my concerns about Odunze may not be justified - he got the hype and the matching draft capital. My interest in this topic is less about JSN and more about how FF is changing. Trying to get learnings from this to apply to future rookie picks, trades, etc.

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Sat May 25, 2024 2:17 am

tstafford wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:12 am
Anteaters wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:25 am I don't know if JSN's ADP dropping is a case of dynasty managers being impatient, or a case of the non-stop Internet hype raising expectations sky high. Or a combination of the two.
That's an interesting point. I've been chalking it up to impatience. It could definitely be, maybe in large part, an issue of people wanting to believe the hype. Case in point - so much was put on the quote from G.Willson that JSN was the best WR on the team when GW, Olave and JSN were all there. Seemed weird to me at the time that a large segment of the community wasn't taking that with a grain of salt.

Maybe the learning here is that we should have ignored G.Wilson and paid attention to the NFL. It meant something that he went 1.20. Teams didn't treat him as "elite". The dynasty community was out of step with the NFL. If that's right, then my concerns about Odunze may not be justified - he got the hype and the matching draft capital. My interest in this topic is less about JSN and more about how FF is changing. Trying to get learnings from this to apply to future rookie picks, trades, etc.
Agreed. Impatience. We know DK is the king there but Lockett just keeps humming along too. With 2 good RBs, just not a lot of looks just yet for WR3. Now that Carroll is gone, it will be interesting to see how the offense scheme changes
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sat May 25, 2024 2:35 am

Caveat: I'm not sure if this is a change, but ...

I think the change (if there is one) is identifying when the hype is too much hype. If JSN turns out not to be a stud, his hype and trajectory could be a good case study.

Like you point out, there were tiny red flags. A couple of people said JSN was the best on his college team, and suddenly it became an internet fact. But there was no actual fact to back up that opinion. And the NFL did not draft JSN as an elite WR. He was chosen with the same draft capital as QJ/Flowers/Addison, none of whom we considered "elite" WR prospects. That should have told everyone something ... but the excuse making was already in pumping out at full steam ... and it hasn't stopped yet.

Regarding draft capital, I think, as a fantasy community at large, we have to lean harder into the same feeling we have when no QB is drafted early. When the first QB in 2020 was drafted at 1.20 (Pickett) the fantasy community agreed, "there are no elite QB prospects in this draft." We all knew there was a difference between the first rookie QB going in the first two or three picks, or going at 1.20. Yet, at least in the case of JSN, the consensus seems to miss that there is a big difference between Chase+Waddle going at 1.05+1.06 and Devonta+GW+Olave going at 1.09-1.11, and any WR going at 1.20-1.24. One range indicates the NFL considers the prospect an "elite" talent, while the other range is a Pickett-like what-the-heck swipe at the chance you strike something special.

If there is a change in the fantasy community coming that is long overdue, I think it is accepting that just because a rookie is the best guess at the WR position in any specific year, that doesn't not imply he is an elite prospect in the NFL. The dynasty community has to do a better job of realizing that. The NFL shows us they realize that by rotating certain positions up and down the first-round order year to year. One year, four QBs go in the first six picks, but another year, no QB goes till 1.20; one year, three WRs go in the top ten picks (2021), but another year the first WR does not go until 1.20.

Dynasty should pay more attention to what the NFL has already told us. Yes, maybe JSN should have still been the first dynasty WR drafted in rookie drafts. But his ADP in start-up drafts should have been much lower than it was in his rookie season, because the NFL had already signaled they did not consider him an elite prospect.

If anything, THAT was the cause of the biggest divide between the two dynasty camps when it came to JSN. One side believed the hype and (his one year of) impressive college stats more they believed what the NFL told us.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver, Waller
2023 semifinals loser

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sat May 25, 2024 2:58 am

Well said Ant.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sat May 25, 2024 4:18 am

Anybody expecting jsn to have big numbers his rookie season had rocks in their heads. The biggest hit to his stock was the seagulls signing lockett again. So all of us that thought they would let lockett go after the season had rocks in our heads.

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Sat May 25, 2024 4:22 am

TheTroll wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:17 am

Agreed. Impatience. We know DK is the king there but Lockett just keeps humming along too. With 2 good RBs too, just not a lot of looks just yet for WR3. Now that Carroll is gone, it will be interesting to see how the offense scheme changes
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 25, 2024 5:08 am

Anteaters wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:35 am

A couple of people said JSN was the best on his college team, and suddenly it became an internet fact. But there was no actual fact to back up that opinion.
The problem with this, was the sources for this idea were from his teammates, Olave and Wilson, I believe. Both were currently in the NFL, and they were doing what they were doing, saying JSN was the best of the 3, to try and help get their college teammate drafter higher. Much like Waddle did when saying he preferred Mac to Tua, with Tua already being in the NFL. I'm sure Jaylen didn't even have to tell Tua what he was doing (but likely did, still).
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat May 25, 2024 5:10 am

Yeah I never bought into JSN being the best of that trio. Was just a fluff piece

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat May 25, 2024 6:19 am

TheTroll wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:17 am

Agreed. Impatience. We know DK is the king there but Lockett just keeps humming along too. With 2 good RBs, just not a lot of looks just yet for WR3. Now that Carroll is gone, it will be interesting to see how the offense scheme changes
Someone said it in another thread, but this stock market approach to dynasty is really being felt. Yes, it's easier for WRs to produce immediately than it was many years ago, but I think it's a mistake to not allow players time after their rookie season to adapt and develop. Everything isn't always going to be instant.

To me, it really depends on the reasons why a player is not producing. And, the roadblocks to JSN producing as a rookie were apparent from Day 1 and that didn't change, yet he's still penalized for it like he's not good at football.

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Sat May 25, 2024 6:32 am

Anteaters wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:35 am

I think the change (if there is one) is identifying when the hype is too much hype. If JSN turns out not to be a stud, his hype and trajectory could be a good case study.

Like you point out, there were tiny red flags. A couple of people said JSN was the best on his college team, and suddenly it became an internet fact. But there was no actual fact to back up that opinion. And the NFL did not draft JSN as an elite WR. He was chosen with the same draft capital as QJ/Flowers/Addison, none of whom we considered "elite" WR prospects. That should have told everyone something ... but the excuse making was already in pumping out at full steam ... and it hasn't stopped yet.

Regarding draft capital, I think, as a fantasy community at large, we have to lean harder into the same feeling we have when no QB is drafted early. When the first QB in 2020 was drafted at 1.20 (Pickett) the fantasy community agreed, "there are no elite QB prospects in this draft." We all knew there was a difference between the first rookie QB going in the first two or three picks, or going at 1.20. Yet, at least in the case of JSN, the consensus seems to miss that there is a big difference between Chase+Waddle going at 1.05+1.06 and Devonta+GW+Olave going at 1.09-1.11, and any WR going at 1.20-1.24. One range indicates the NFL considers the prospect an "elite" talent, while the other range is a Pickett-like what-the-heck swipe at the chance you strike something special.

If there is a change in the fantasy community coming that is long overdue, I think it is accepting that just because a rookie is the best guess at the WR position in any specific year, that doesn't not imply he is an elite prospect in the NFL. The dynasty community has to do a better job of realizing that. The NFL shows us they realize that by rotating certain positions up and down the first-round order year to year. One year, four QBs go in the first six picks, but another year, no QB goes till 1.20; one year, three WRs go in the top ten picks (2021), but another year the first WR does not go until 1.20.

Dynasty should pay more attention to what the NFL has already told us. Yes, maybe JSN should have still been the first dynasty WR drafted in rookie drafts. But his ADP in start-up drafts should have been much lower than it was in his rookie season, because the NFL had already signaled they did not consider him an elite prospect.

If anything, THAT was the cause of the biggest divide between the two dynasty camps when it came to JSN. One side believed the hype and (his one year of) impressive college stats more they believed what the NFL told us.
Really well said, especially the distinction between rookie and startup ADP. Looking back though, I don’t think his rookie draft position would have changed (his start up absolutely should have). He was almost always behind AR, Young, and Stroud (in SF), Bijan, and Gibbs. And he almost always went ahead of the other WRs, which I think was still fine process.
Team 1 (Rebuild ): 12-tm SF 0.5PPR/1.0PP1D
QB: Williams, Young, Tannehill
RB: Herbert, Akers, Gibson, Wilson, Abanikanda
WR: MHJ, Nabers, Flowers, Pickens, Dotson, Downs, Chark, Boyd, Douglas
TE: Knox
Picks: 3 ‘25 1s, 4 ‘25 2s, ‘25 3

Team 2: 14-tm SF PPR/1.5TEP
QB: Burrow, Wilson, Lance
RB: JT, Mixon, Pollard, Laube, Guerendo, Hill, Patterson, Hines
WR: Hill, Cooper, DK, DJM, D. Samuel, Sutton
TE: Freiermuth, Gesicki, Hudson
Picks: ‘25 3rd, ‘25 4th

Team 3 10-tm SF PPR
QB: Mahomes, Dak, Watson, Jones
RB: JT, AK, Jacobs, Brooks, Benson, Zeke, Singletary
WR: AJB, Diggs, Allen, Cooper, Wilson, Kirk, Sutton, Williams, Bateman, E. Moore
TE: Goedert, Bowers, Schultz, Granson, Hill

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat May 25, 2024 7:09 am

Curious what makes you think Wilson isn’t elite.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat May 25, 2024 7:44 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:09 am

Curious what makes you think Wilson isn’t elite.
He’s saying we shouldn’t assume JSN is elite because of what Wilson said.