Startup pivot?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Bulletproof
Starter
Starter

Startup pivot?

Postby Bulletproof » Fri May 24, 2024 11:41 am

I joined a new startup with the intention of going all youth and picking up some future 1sts and building towards year 3. But the price for future 1sts was much higher than I’ve experienced in the past and then somebody offered me the startup 6.03 for my 2025 1st and I snapped accept on the value. It’s 12 team superflex, I just took Lamar Jackson at 1.05 and my next pick is 2.08. Should I pivot to a straight up win now like drafting strategy?

I also saw this trade go down that seems just insane to me and has me kinda wanting to leave the league. An owner traded for the 1.01 and gave up 2.04, 3.09, 5.09, and his 2025 1st. The team that got that haul is probably going to build a monster while the other team will have Mahomes and little else
12 Team Superflex Best Ball PPR TEP +1.5
QB: Kyler, Tua, O’Connell
RB: Gibbs, Etienne, Pacheco, Javonte Williams, Chase Brown
WR: London, Higgins, Pickens, Tank Dell, Quentin Johnston, Ricky Pearsall, Troy Franklin
TE: McBride, Freiermuth

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Startup pivot?

Postby BigBawseRoss » Fri May 24, 2024 11:58 am

wouldnt leave over that but thats one of the major downsides to startup draft, whoever gets in the top 6 or so gets absurd opportunity to move back an pick up major assets. part of the game and just a horrible trade for the one guy but i wouldnt hyper focus on it like you got no chance now, often times those guys that pick up extra shots take more risks when a stable of high end proven vets likely would have led to dominance. also dont let 1 selection and moving a first dictate your draft. for all you know you trade back in round 3 and pick up a first lol
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Bulletproof
Starter
Starter

Postby Bulletproof » Fri May 24, 2024 2:14 pm

Thanks BigBawseRoss

Stroud went 1.02, Jordan Love 1.07, and Anthony Richardson 1.08. No non QB selected yet so I will probably adjust my strategy as the draft unfolds
WR: London, Higgins, Pickens, Tank Dell, Quentin Johnston, Ricky Pearsall, Troy Franklin

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Fri May 24, 2024 2:37 pm

BigBawseRoss wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:58 am wouldnt leave over that but thats one of the major downsides to startup draft, whoever gets in the top 6 or so gets absurd opportunity to move back an pick up major assets. part of the game and just a horrible trade for the one guy but i wouldnt hyper focus on it like you got no chance now, often times those guys that pick up extra shots take more risks when a stable of high end proven vets likely would have led to dominance. also dont let 1 selection and moving a first dictate your draft. for all you know you trade back in round 3 and pick up a first lol
Well said Ross, stick it out OP

We had a guy in one of my leagues (2022 startup) that traded up multiple times and left the draft with Mahomes/Jefferson/Chase/Henry. RD2 playoff exit in 2022, missed playoffs in 2023. You never know. And if you're an active manager, the water will find its level.

Like you said OP, adjust your strategy as the draft unfolds and grab value as it falls

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Fri May 24, 2024 3:43 pm

BigBawseRoss wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:58 am wouldnt leave over that but thats one of the major downsides to startup draft, whoever gets in the top 6 or so gets absurd opportunity to move back an pick up major assets. part of the game and just a horrible trade for the one guy but i wouldnt hyper focus on it like you got no chance now, often times those guys that pick up extra shots take more risks when a stable of high end proven vets likely would have led to dominance. also dont let 1 selection and moving a first dictate your draft. for all you know you trade back in round 3 and pick up a first lol
Words to live by.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

mzkp54
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby mzkp54 » Fri May 24, 2024 3:49 pm

If I was you, I'd try to trade back from 2.08. I try to find the value cut off in the draft (usually round 6-7), and acquire as many picks as you can before it. My favorite startups I build my whole lineup in rounds 4-7.
12 tm/PPR/SF/TE+/Full IDP (start 11/11)/Contracts
QB- Kyler, TLaw Stafford
RB- Cook, AJones, Zeke, Chandler, Dowdle, Mitchell
WR- JJ, Lamb, ARSB, MHJ, DJM, Worthy, QJ
TE- Engram, Schultz
PK/CB-
DT- Wilkins Vea
DE- Bosa, Landry. Greenard Ebukam, Young
LB- Campbell,Speed, Colson, Mcfadden, Dodson
S-
3 '25 1sts, 4 '26 1sts

Bulletproof
Starter
Starter

Postby Bulletproof » Fri May 24, 2024 4:38 pm

mzkp54 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:49 pm If I was you, I'd try to trade back from 2.08. I try to find the value cut off in the draft (usually round 6-7), and acquire as many picks as you can before it. My favorite startups I build my whole lineup in rounds 4-7.
Thanks everybody for the advice. The hardest part might be changing my mindset. I had been planning this youth/punting strategy for months and now the best course might be something very different

Right now I think there’s a fair chance one of Kyler, Dak, or Lawrence is there at 2.08 and that’s what I was thinking to lock up a QB2. I am open to trading back and don’t really want to get stuck with Mayfield or Stafford as my QB2. What were you thinking mzkp54?

Menace2010
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Menace2010 » Fri May 24, 2024 5:18 pm

I'm locking in one of those three QBs. Willing to trade down starting in the 3rd.

Mtt33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Mtt33 » Fri May 24, 2024 6:13 pm

Bulletproof wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:41 am I joined a new startup with the intention of going all youth and picking up some future 1sts and building towards year 3. But the price for future 1sts was much higher than I’ve experienced in the past and then somebody offered me the startup 6.03 for my 2025 1st and I snapped accept on the value. It’s 12 team superflex, I just took Lamar Jackson at 1.05 and my next pick is 2.08. Should I pivot to a straight up win now like drafting strategy?

I also saw this trade go down that seems just insane to me and has me kinda wanting to leave the league. An owner traded for the 1.01 and gave up 2.04, 3.09, 5.09, and his 2025 1st. The team that got that haul is probably going to build a monster while the other team will have Mahomes and little else
What are the starting positions? Hope he had to pay for trading his 2025 1st. Screams collusion/quit next year if not.

Bulletproof
Starter
Starter

Postby Bulletproof » Fri May 24, 2024 6:56 pm

Mtt33 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:13 pm
Bulletproof wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:41 am I joined a new startup with the intention of going all youth and picking up some future 1sts and building towards year 3. But the price for future 1sts was much higher than I’ve experienced in the past and then somebody offered me the startup 6.03 for my 2025 1st and I snapped accept on the value. It’s 12 team superflex, I just took Lamar Jackson at 1.05 and my next pick is 2.08. Should I pivot to a straight up win now like drafting strategy?

What are the starting positions? Hope he had to pay for trading his 2025 1st. Screams collusion/quit next year if not.
Starting Lineup: QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, 1-TE, 2-Flex, 1-Superflex

I kind of doubt collusion because it's a $750 entry fee with $500 deposit that you forfeit if orphaned and there’s an additional $375 deposit for trading your future 1sts so this guy is in for $1675

The owner that received the haul for the 1.01 turned around and gave up a lot to acquire the 1.02 and took Stroud so maybe it's just owners doing whatever it takes to get their guys

Pork Sword
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Pork Sword » Fri May 24, 2024 7:04 pm

I recently finished a startup, and I joined thinking to have a similar strategy of trading back and looking to the future. I sent an offer to everyone in the league to trade my 3.5 in the startup for ‘25/‘26 rookie 1,2,3. Didn’t think anyone would take it, but looking to get some negotiations going. Everyone rejected, but one owner said he wouldn’t give those rookie picks for my 1.5. Which got me thinking 🤔. I responded saying if he values those rookie picks more than the 1.5, than would he trade his 1.10 for mine? He offered it and I accepted. Definitely changed gears on my strategy, and tbh, couldn’t be happier. Gave me massive flexibility during the startup and definitely feel my team is top 3 in the league as of now. Hurts not having the next 2 years of rookie picks, but took the value where it was and adjusted to what was available. I suggest you do the same(adjust to the value where your league gives, not trade 2 years of rookie picks, tho not always a bad idea), Good luck

Mtt33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Mtt33 » Fri May 24, 2024 8:37 pm

Bulletproof wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:56 pm
Mtt33 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:13 pm

Starting Lineup: QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, 1-TE, 2-Flex, 1-Superflex

I kind of doubt collusion because it's a $750 entry fee with $500 deposit that you forfeit if orphaned and there’s an additional $375 deposit for trading your future 1sts so this guy is in for $1675

The owner that received the haul for the 1.01 turned around and gave up a lot to acquire the 1.02 and took Stroud so maybe it's just owners doing whatever it takes to get their guys
That’s good, at least he’s committed to it then. wild someone jumps into higher stakes league starting 10 players and gives 6 (on the light end) 1sts worth of value for a single player.