SF Start-up Help Welcomed

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Re: SF Start-up Help Welcomed

Postby tstafford » Fri May 24, 2024 6:13 am

NathanielWegman wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:10 am If the guy at 4 desperately needs a QB, just so someone can’t jump in front of me I might offer him 1.5 and a small incentive just to make sure I can grab Nabers..
Been considering that. What "small incentive" would y'all be willing to offer to move from 1.05 to 1.04? I think a future 3rd isn't compelling, not sure I want to offer a future 2nd.

NathanielWegman
Starter
Starter

Postby NathanielWegman » Fri May 24, 2024 7:34 am

I’d try a 3rd. If he knows you’re not gonna grab his QB, it gives him an extra dart to throw, and makes sure he still grabs the QB he wanted. That’s much better than moving out of the spot and potentially moving out of position to grab his QB

Only way I’d include a 2 is if some other team throws him a rediculous offer, at which point I’d probably fork over a mid to late 2

frerichs5
MVP
MVP

Postby frerichs5 » Fri May 24, 2024 8:01 am

NathanielWegman wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:34 am I’d try a 3rd. If he knows you’re not gonna grab his QB, it gives him an extra dart to throw, and makes sure he still grabs the QB he wanted. That’s much better than moving out of the spot and potentially moving out of position to grab his QB

Only way I’d include a 2 is if some other team throws him a rediculous offer, at which point I’d probably fork over a mid to late 2
Agreed.

And I agree with the comment a 3rd doesn’t sound compelling. But who knows what the other guy is thinking. Don’t negotiate against yourself. I have a bad habit of doing that.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Fri May 24, 2024 8:08 am

frerichs5 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:01 am
NathanielWegman wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:34 am I’d try a 3rd. If he knows you’re not gonna grab his QB, it gives him an extra dart to throw, and makes sure he still grabs the QB he wanted. That’s much better than moving out of the spot and potentially moving out of position to grab his QB

Agreed.

And I agree with the comment a 3rd doesn’t sound compelling. But who knows what the other guy is thinking. Don’t negotiate against yourself. I have a bad habit of doing that.
Fair point. I'll shoot over the offer and see what happens. He's a savvy player - hosts a dynasty podcast / full time redraft analyst.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Wed May 29, 2024 4:45 am

Curious what people would want to move down from the 1.05 to the 1.07 in 12-team, PPR, no-TEP SF.

What future pick would you need to do that deal? Manager with the 1.07 made it known he wants to move up for one of the top-3 WRs. He's got 1.07, 2.07 and all future picks.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed May 29, 2024 6:03 am

If he's a contender, I don't think a '25 1st is too much of an overreach. If a team is looking for a WR, there is a wide divide between Odunze and the next group. Maybe include your '25 2nd and his '25 1st as the opening.

If that fails AND if you don't have your plans set on a specific player at 1.05 who won't be available at 1.07, I think any compensation works because it's basically free stuff for you. That said, it has to be at least a 2nd ... maybe a 2nd+lesserPlayer, maybe a 2nd+3rd.

But if you really want a specific player at 1.05, I would not make the trade unless I received something I really wanted.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver, Waller
2023 semifinals loser

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Wed May 29, 2024 8:19 am

Anteaters wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:03 am If he's a contender, I don't think a '25 1st is too much of an overreach. If a team is looking for a WR, there is a wide divide between Odunze and the next group. Maybe include your '25 2nd and his '25 1st as the opening.

If that fails AND if you don't have your plans set on a specific player at 1.05 who won't be available at 1.07, I think any compensation works because it's basically free stuff for you. That said, it has to be at least a 2nd ... maybe a 2nd+lesserPlayer, maybe a 2nd+3rd.

But if you really want a specific player at 1.05, I would not make the trade unless I received something I really wanted.
If Nabers falls and he might, I'd really want him. But the idea of banking a 2025 1st is tempting. I could drive a hard bargain because I don't need a deal and there's a compelling story about Nabers falling.

Worst case IMO is this is Nabers vs. choice of Worthy/Brooks and the first. Which side would you rather on that?

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed May 29, 2024 11:57 am

tstafford wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:19 am
Anteaters wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:03 am If he's a contender, I don't think a '25 1st is too much of an overreach. If a team is looking for a WR, there is a wide divide between Odunze and the next group. Maybe include your '25 2nd and his '25 1st as the opening.

If Nabers falls and he might, I'd really want him. But the idea of banking a 2025 1st is tempting. I could drive a hard bargain because I don't need a deal and there's a compelling story about Nabers falling.

Worst case IMO is this is Nabers vs. choice of Worthy/Brooks and the first. Which side would you rather on that?
I'm not huge on Worthy, because too many things have to happen for him to be a fantasy WR1. He has to be good enough to actually be an effective pro WR (which we won't know until real games start.) With a full receiving corps, he'll have a tough time getting adequate target share in rookie year. And going forward, he'll have to prove to be a better option than Rice in order to receive the higher amount of attention from Mahomes ... because counting on an NFL team's WR2 to be a difference maker in fantasy is not a good bet. I view him more as a guy whose realistic outcome is he might become a decent fantasy WR3.

I think Brooks can be a fantasy RB1. He still needs to prove to be effective in the NFL, but it's easier to predict RBs than WRs and all signs point to him being good enough to be an NFL back. There's no competition in Charlotte to speak of. And he's a workhorse type back.

In a vacuum, I easily prefer Brooks over Worthy. With Worthy, you're hoping for that lucky late 1st WR strike. With Brooks, you know you're getting an NFL-ready talent and it's just a matter of if he's a high-end RB2 or a T10RB.

Not remembering your lineup, it's hard for me to say Nabers or Brooks+future1st. I lean toward the '25 1st side because I think Brooks can be a special fantasy RB for a few years. But if your roster is especially WR needy, Nabers is a little harder to bypass.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Wed May 29, 2024 5:42 pm

Anteaters wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:57 am
tstafford wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:19 am

I'm not huge on Worthy, because too many things have to happen for him to be a fantasy WR1. He has to be good enough to actually be an effective pro WR (which we won't know until real games start.) With a full receiving corps, he'll have a tough time getting adequate target share in rookie year. And going forward, he'll have to prove to be a better option than Rice in order to receive the higher amount of attention from Mahomes ... because counting on an NFL team's WR2 to be a difference maker in fantasy is not a good bet. I view him more as a guy whose realistic outcome is he might become a decent fantasy WR3.

I think Brooks can be a fantasy RB1. He still needs to prove to be effective in the NFL, but it's easier to predict RBs than WRs and all signs point to him being good enough to be an NFL back. There's no competition in Charlotte to speak of. And he's a workhorse type back.

In a vacuum, I easily prefer Brooks over Worthy. With Worthy, you're hoping for that lucky late 1st WR strike. With Brooks, you know you're getting an NFL-ready talent and it's just a matter of if he's a high-end RB2 or a T10RB.

Not remembering your lineup, it's hard for me to say Nabers or Brooks+future1st. I lean toward the '25 1st side because I think Brooks can be a special fantasy RB for a few years. But if your roster is especially WR needy, Nabers is a little harder to bypass.
Thanks.

Actually strong at WR and very weak at RB.

12 team, SF, PPR
QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3flex, 1SF
Kyler, Tua, Carr, Stidham, DTR, Zappe, Cunningham
Achane, Spears, Roschon, McBride, Tucker, Brooks
Lamb, DKM, D.Smith, Rice, D.Johnson, McLaurin, Downs, Burks, Tillman
Pitts, Chig, Kraft, Allen
1.03, 1.05, 1.10, 2.01
All future picks plus an extra '25 2nd

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu May 30, 2024 8:20 am

You have a lot of options and they're all good. Stay and pick Nabers or Odunze. Trade back and still get Bowers or Odunze maybe. Or, given your biggest need is RB, I'd keep trading back and grab the cheapest of Penix, Benson, or Brooks (my personal preference among rbs is Benson but Brooks is valued higher), especially if they're "paying up" to do so. If you're in a league with a bunch of know-it-all's, then maybe they'd be willing to pay up to move up and get "their guy" who is "clearly better" than the players I just listed above. We might think that now (that the top 7 are clearly better) but we don't know that for sure. In fact, we know the top 7 now aren't going to be the top 7 a year from now.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Thu May 30, 2024 9:58 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:20 am You have a lot of options and they're all good. Stay and pick Nabers or Odunze. Trade back and still get Bowers or Odunze maybe. Or, given your biggest need is RB, I'd keep trading back and grab the cheapest of Penix, Benson, or Brooks (my personal preference among rbs is Benson but Brooks is valued higher), especially if they're "paying up" to do so. If you're in a league with a bunch of know-it-all's, then maybe they'd be willing to pay up to move up and get "their guy" who is "clearly better" than the players I just listed above. We might think that now (that the top 7 are clearly better) but we don't know that for sure. In fact, we know the top 7 now aren't going to be the top 7 a year from now.
Agreed. I'm waiting for the commish (who is also the guy with the 1.07) to set the draft clock. At that point I'm going to put all the picks on the block and see what comes back. I'm 100% comfortable just picking so I'll drive hard bargains.

gaz29
Starter
Starter

Postby gaz29 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:48 pm

Loved reading this.

Just curious has the draft started
QB, RB, WR, WR, RB/WR/TE, TE, K, DB, DB, DL, DL, LB, LB

QB: R Wilson,
RB: Elliott, Gordon, K Johnson, R Penny, Guice, I Smith
WR: Hopkins, Kupp, M Williams, MVS, Bisi Johnson, Butler, V Jefferson, Claypool
TE: Kittle, Graham, Oliver, Bryant (Cle)
K: Crosby, Rohrwasser
DB: Bates, Rapp, Flowers, Adderley
DL: Garrett, J Bosa, Josh Allen, Jonathan Allen
LB: J Smith, Hicks, R Evans, Ryan Connelly, Alexander, Barr

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:58 am

gaz29 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:48 pm Loved reading this.

Just curious has the draft started
Starts in a couple of hours. Slow draft, no clock. Since league is nearly new I have no idea how long folks will take making picks.

I'm still planning to go Daniels with the 1.03 and see what falls to me at 1.05. 1.04 team doesn't pick again until 2.11 and desperately needs a QB (Fields/Tanny/AOC). I don't know what he'll do but it seems like there's chance he goes QB and leaves me with Nabers at 1.05. Of course someone might really want Nabers and pay heavy to go get the pick.

I suppose another option is to sort of punt on QB at the top of the draft and get one with my 1.10. Nix would surely be there. In that case I'd take Nabers and Odunze at 1.03/1.05. It's just so tough to pass on Daniels. Having Kyler/Tua/Daniels seems likely put the team in a great spot for years to come.

Does anyone think passing on Daniels for Nabers at 1.03 is the move?
Last edited by tstafford on Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:30 am

tstafford wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:58 amDoes anyone think passing on Daniels for Nabers at 1.03 is the move?
Not me. (but you probably guessed that would be my response)

I think Nabers is going to be a great pro. I think Daniels can be a slam dunk advantage over Nabers, if Daniels hits. Impossible for me not to take the QB in this situation in a SF. Much respect to the cajones of the guy who takes Nabers over Daniels.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:34 am

Anteaters wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:30 am
tstafford wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:58 amDoes anyone think passing on Daniels for Nabers at 1.03 is the move?
Not me. (but you probably guessed that would be my response)

I think Nabers is going to be a great pro. I think Daniels can be a slam dunk advantage over Nabers, if Daniels hits. Impossible for me not to take the QB in this situation in a SF. Much respect to the cajones of the guy who takes Nabers over Daniels.
Same here. If Daniels hits, his value will almost certainly be higher than Nabers. Just double checking (so thanks for your response).

I guess I could try again to see if the 1.04 guy would move down to 1.05. But I'm not sure I'd want to pay much to make that move. He didn't respond when I offered a future 3rd to swap picks.