How to get bad teams to trade

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Bulletproof
Starter
Starter

How to get bad teams to trade

Postby Bulletproof » Wed May 22, 2024 7:52 pm

I’m in a couple of leagues where there are seemingly perpetual bottom dwellers that don’t seem to ever try to really rebuild. Aging productive vets just seem to die on their rosters

When contending, I will make offers several times a year to send picks and/or youth for their veterans and they just always reject them with no counters and go on finishing in the bottom half year and year. I really don’t get it and maybe I should just be happy there are owners like this that are no competition and move on. But I am curious if anybody has any advice on getting some of these owners to more actively try to rebuild and sell their veterans
12 Team Superflex Best Ball PPR TEP +1.5
QB: Kyler, Tua, O’Connell
RB: Gibbs, Etienne, Pacheco, Javonte Williams, Chase Brown
WR: London, Higgins, Pickens, Tank Dell, Quentin Johnston, Ricky Pearsall, Troy Franklin
TE: McBride, Freiermuth

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Re: How to get bad teams to trade

Postby MacDaddy123 » Wed May 22, 2024 8:41 pm

No advice, sorry. There are a lot of guys out there who play dynasty exactly how they play redraft.
Doesn't make sense to me, but then people do a lot of things in this world that I can't figure out.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed May 22, 2024 9:45 pm

Bulletproof wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:52 pm I’m in a couple of leagues where there are seemingly perpetual bottom dwellers that don’t seem to ever try to really rebuild. Aging productive vets just seem to die on their rosters

When contending, I will make offers several times a year to send picks and/or youth for their veterans and they just always reject them with no counters and go on finishing in the bottom half year and year. I really don’t get it and maybe I should just be happy there are owners like this that are no competition and move on. But I am curious if anybody has any advice on getting some of these owners to more actively try to rebuild and sell their veterans
There was another thread where we talked about the kind of guys that are in our leagues—the idiots, the guy that always has to win, the analytics guy, the homers, and the fair trade guy, etc. So I think the best advice I can give you here is to try to figure out who each owner is and have a real conversation with them. If you're in a league with people you know, it may be easier.

I'm in four dynasties and one redraft. Of those, I know the guys in three, we go back some 10-15 years. Any time I try to trade with anyone I try to remember who they are and what they are like when it comes to trades. There are some guys that just ignore my offers no matter what, or only if they really win big. There are some guys that are homers—one guy loves DAL, so I can usually make a good trade if I can pony up a DAL player. Another guy is so random—he'll make a horrible offer, and then take a different offer I make that really benefits me. I get to know each guy and then try to meet them where they are. I often have longer conversations via email, where I try to understand what they want—are they trying to get younger, are they moving depth for an upgrade, are they looking for only picks, etc.

In one of my new leagues, I don't know them well, so what I'm finding out is—one guys loves rookies, one guys only uses KTC to evaluate trades and values, one guy hates ALL calculators and it's all about his gut. So, I'm learning what works with each guy.

Hope this long rant/answer helps LOL.
D3:
QB—Allen, JJM RB—Gibbs, Kamara, Jacobs, LLOYD, Zamir, Edwards, Ford, Warren, McLaughlin WR—MHJ, Lamb, Olave, DJM, Shaheed, RICE, VJefferson TE—Engram, Muth, Washington, Kraft, THEO PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK, CORLEY, COWING, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING, MWASHINGTON TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS, Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE, Goff, Cousins, PENIX RB: Bijan, BRob, Zamir, Allgeier, McLaughlin, Hull WR: HARRISON, DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, COWING, Reynolds TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Hurst, WILEY, Trautman, Tremble, Dissly, Reiman

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Fri May 24, 2024 2:03 am

There are many nations in the world and unfortunately "Donation" has a large population.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Fri May 24, 2024 2:20 am

Bulletproof wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:52 pm I’m in a couple of leagues where there are seemingly perpetual bottom dwellers that don’t seem to ever try to really rebuild. Aging productive vets just seem to die on their rosters

Are you making Fair Market Value (or even slightly higher) opening offers, or are you making offers that are lower than fair market value and planning to negotiate to what you consider is a fair price?

There are many owners who do not enjoy the back-and-forth of multi-stage negotiations. With these type owners, you have to make your best offer first ... or at least an offer that is not lower than fair market value.

You must meet your trading partners at the level at which they are willing to engage. For many, lowball offers are auto-rejects with no counter and no communication.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver, Waller
2023 semifinals loser

Black Adam
Captain
Captain

Postby Black Adam » Fri May 24, 2024 2:59 am

Anteaters wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:20 am Are you making Fair Market Value (or even slightly higher) opening offers, or are you making offers that are lower than fair market value and planning to negotiate to what you consider is a fair price?

There are many owners who do not enjoy the back-and-forth of multi-stage negotiations. With these type owners, you have to make your best offer first ... or at least an offer that is not lower than fair market value.

You must meet your trading partners at the level at which they are willing to engage. For many, lowball offers are auto-rejects with no counter and no communication.
Great point.

Some folks don't enjoy engaging in multi-stage negotiations just like some folks don't want to negotiate when buying a new car even if they'd get a better price, they'd rather just go to a place like Carvana and pay whatever the dealer asks. :crazy:
10 Tm Dynasty 1QB/IDP/1.0 PPR/40 Rst
Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 W/T, 2 R/W/T, 1 PK, 3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 2 IDP

2015: 7th 💩
2016: 4th :x
2017: 8th 💩
2018: 3rd 🥉
2019: 6th 💩
2020: 1st 🏆
2021: 2nd 🥈
2022: 2nd 🥈
2023: 1st 🏆

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Fri May 24, 2024 3:31 am

Black Adam wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:59 am
Anteaters wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:20 am Are you making Fair Market Value (or even slightly higher) opening offers, or are you making offers that are lower than fair market value and planning to negotiate to what you consider is a fair price?

Great point.

Some folks don't enjoy engaging in multi-stage negotiations just like some folks don't want to negotiate when buying a new car even if they'd get a better price, they'd rather just go to a place like Carvana and pay whatever the dealer asks. :crazy:
I get what you're saying about Carvana, and I agree it's crazy when people overpay instead of offering a counter. But with managers like the OP mentioned who reject without countering, they're actually being smart and not accepting an underpay. They're not overpaying. They're just holding what they have.

I've bought many used cars in my life. I've bought several properties. Never have I gotten into a back-and-forth negotiation about the price. I'll see an advertised price I like, make an offer, and whatever the seller says next is pretty much it. Either the price is too much and I walk without negotiating, or it's in my range and I buy. Period. When someone wants to negotiate back and forth six times, that's a game I'm not interested in playing, in real life and in fantasy sports. That's great for those who enjoy it, but it's not for me.

If someone makes an offer to me, make it real. Too low and I'll simply reject without a counter.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Fri May 24, 2024 3:42 am

Back directly to what the OP asked.

Bulletproof, if you really want to trade with a guy and he rejected your first offer without a counter, you can keep going. Did you make a fair market value first offer or was it a low offer? If it was low, make a second offer, significantly better.

I've made two or three offers before, when the other guy rejected without a counter. Some managers just don't communicate or counter, but if you make better and better offers, you might get to what he really wants ... even if he never counters.

A word of warning: Don't make tiny incremental increases. No one want to reject an offer, then receive a counter of the original offer plus a 4th. If you're going to make second offer, rise up to your top price or extremely close to it. Put it on the table. Otherwise, you're just wasting both your time and his.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Fri May 24, 2024 6:32 am

sell them vets for rookies. think opposite of how you are currently. saw a dude like this last year trade away garrett wilson and charbs for devante adams and mixon. guy finished like 4th or 5th but had no shot and the move made no sense for his build haha
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Fri May 24, 2024 6:33 am

many owners even experienced dynasty players just dont care about rookies, the what ifs, the what could bes. they want what they know and value guys like hopkins at a first plus even if nobody else does
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Fri May 24, 2024 9:04 am

Yeah I had a long discussion with a guy yesterday and we're usually pretty good trade partners. He got a little bent out of shape that I had paid a LOT to get the 1.01 but wouldn't pay nearly that much for the 1.02. (He wanted Puka and picks.) I was all in on Harrison and less so on Nabers. We were trying to make a deal for his 2.02 moving Zamir, and over the coarse of many offers we ended up not getting anything done. He couldn't see the difference between—

Zamir/3.09 for 2.02/RWilsonQB and Zamir/3.01/3.02 for 2.02/RWilsonQB

I thought we were all set on Zamir/3.01 for 2.02/Wilson and then he pulled it.

IDK. People get offended, some don't like to negotiate, some see "calculators" as insulting offers, it's all over the place. This guy and I will trade again, but he couldn't understand that I had plans for my five picks this year and that it DID make a bit difference to be between the 3.01 and the 3.09 or the 2.07 and the 3.01. There are certain players that I don't think will make it to certain spots. So in the end, no trade.

I think a lot of what's being said here boils down to "try and figure out each owner" and trade accordingly.

I sent three offers out for TEs last night, all similar TEs, two rejection, one acceptance. So, who knows LOL.
D3:
QB—Allen, JJM RB—Gibbs, Kamara, Jacobs, LLOYD, Zamir, Edwards, Ford, Warren, McLaughlin WR—MHJ, Lamb, Olave, DJM, Shaheed, RICE, VJefferson TE—Engram, Muth, Washington, Kraft, THEO PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK, CORLEY, COWING, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING, MWASHINGTON TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS, Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE, Goff, Cousins, PENIX RB: Bijan, BRob, Zamir, Allgeier, McLaughlin, Hull WR: HARRISON, DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, COWING, Reynolds TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Hurst, WILEY, Trautman, Tremble, Dissly, Reiman