General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Puka Nacua

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue May 21, 2024 11:49 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:26 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:52 am
killer_of_giants wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:29 am ok then. since you only picked the van jefferson part of my comment, might as well touch on the other two more important (as evidenced by being earlier in the paragraph) points, namely:
- it's hard to determine to what point it's the coach and to what point is the player.
- there are very very few WRs that you can just line up at the X and get comparable results regardless of situation.

nacua is not the greatest separator but he ain't too shabby either and as a sophomore has room to grow. you can also be an excellent WR without being an excellent separator. nacua benefited from a great situation, and is also a great player.
Nacua is going off the board as about a Top-5 WR in startups.

This thread has had a lot of debate about how special Nacua actually is relative to his situation. I think Reception Perception and Open Score have added some much needed context to what he is as a player. I think some would have expected much better numbers in those areas given what he actually accomplished last year, so it's pretty interesting to see these numbers.

I think he is a good player who benefit from a great situation. I think the bold is important, because he's in a tier with a bunch of players who can do exactly that. It's just something to keep in mind as people are figuring out how to value him long-term, and how to find the "next" one of him.
People should be drafting him because of how safe of a pick he is and not his upside. He very may have well had a career year as a rookie and there’s nothing wrong with that. He doesn’t shine in the areas you describe but he has a knack for being in the right place at the right time and making plays. Some of that just doesn’t show up on a stat sheet. If you’re drafting him top 5 because you think he’ll be a top 5 scorer you’re probably going to be disappointed. But if you’re drafting him top 5 because he’s a young established player with a really high floor, then you’ll probably be very happy.
In terms of Dynasty, McVay could easily go to the booth, and make more. Stafford could very easily retire, and soon. All situtations change, but IDK how locked in Puka's situation really is.

The Rams are a team that have high ceiling, and low floor, in Dynasty, in general. McVay/Stafford move on, Stafford suffers another injury or age takes it's toll, Kupp loses a step or gets hurt again. They are a team that has a wide array of outcomes over the next few years.

Puka is a good player, in a great situation, but that situation is really hinging on a QB and a HC that may or may not be around after this season I don't trust Stafford or McVay beyond a redraft mentality, at this stage personally.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Puka Nacua

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed May 22, 2024 4:18 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:01 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:06 pm
Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:05 pm

once again, he was blocking most of the time.

why did i think rice was taken in the 3rd round? i must be mixing up players.
How many times in the NFL do you see a WR go from being a blocking decoy for four years into a full-on 1100+ yard threat? Woods simply wasn't good and went to the Rams and had a career revival.
The Rams knew because they paid him a hefty sum in free agency and all the idiots in the media were laughing at how much they paid him. After a couple of years it became obvious they got him at a bargain rate.
Exactly. McVay knew. It hasn't worked anywhere else for Woods except with him.