2024 Rookie QBs

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

2024 Rookie QBs

Postby blemly » Mon May 13, 2024 5:13 am

There have been a number of individual threads started for certain 2024 NFL rookies, but I thought this would be a good place for a discussion about this deep 2024 rookie QB class. We’ve never seen this many QB taken in R1 and we are starting to see some variation in where these QBs are drafted in rookie drafts.

Williams came in as the de facto 1.01 and has largely remained the 1st QB taken with very rare exception.

Up to the draft there was a question whether the 2nd QB taken would be Maye or Daniels. Given Daniels’ rushing upside and Maye’s landing spot, Daniels has clearly surpassed Maye for the QB2 in rookie drafts, with Maye sometimes falling below JJ McCarthy too, who was the 4th QB taken in the NFL draft. JJM has firmly secured himself as the QB3-4 in rookie drafts.

Nix and Penix are the final 2 round 1 QBs. Given Penix’s landing spot, he has fallen into the QB6 slot, but there are instances of him going ahead of Nix at the QB5.

Who do you all think is being over/under-drafted? What concerns do you have about the QBs and where do you see them ending up career wise?
Team 1 (Rebuild ): 12-tm SF 0.5PPR/1.0PP1D
QB: Williams, Young, Tannehill
RB: Herbert, Akers, Gibson, Wilson, Abanikanda
WR: MHJ, Nabers, Flowers, Pickens, Dotson, Downs, Chark, Boyd, Douglas
TE: Knox
Picks: 3 ‘25 1s, 4 ‘25 2s, ‘25 3

Team 2: 14-tm SF PPR/1.5TEP
QB: Burrow, Wilson, Lance
RB: JT, Mixon, Pollard, Laube, Guerendo, Hill, Patterson, Hines
WR: Hill, Cooper, DK, DJM, D. Samuel, Sutton
TE: Freiermuth, Gesicki, Hudson
Picks: ‘25 3rd, ‘25 4th

Team 3 10-tm SF PPR
QB: Mahomes, Dak, Jones
RB: JT, Kamara, Jacobs, Zeke, Singletary, Moss
WR: AJB, Diggs, Allen, Cooper, Wilson, Kirk, Sutton, Williams, Bateman, E. Moore
TE: Goedert, Schultz, Granson, Hill
Picks: 1.06, 1.07, 2.04, 2.07

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: 2024 Rookie QBs

Postby blemly » Mon May 13, 2024 8:35 am

I’ll add my rankings to this to start.

QB1 - Williams. He is not a perfect prospect, but there are far more great traits than even mediocre ones.

QB2 - Maye. Could end up biting me long-term, but the arm talent and experience (plus some sneaky athleticism) are too tantalizing for me not to take Maye as my QB2 in this class.

QB3 - Daniels. No doubt about it, Daniels is the most athletic QB in this class. And he doesn’t exhibit some of the one-read issues that Fields did in college either. This rank is not intended to be a knock on Daniels. He has very real durability concerns (as well as more mild concerns about his arm strength). I think having only seen him do it once is a large reason why I cannot justify having him above Maye.

QB4 - McCarthy. He’s fine and may end up having a productive NFL career. Doesn’t possess any elite traits to me and is just generally average to above average in everything. It’s an easy out but I just see a lot of Cousins in him as a passer.

QB5 - Penix. Too inconsistent and injury prone for me to justify having him at QB4, but this is an upside pick where he’s going. Has great athleticism and the potential to be better than McCarthy, but also has a lower floor.

QB6 - Nix. The Broncos over drafted Nix. He’s not a bad QB, but I don’t see him getting any better and he’s now in the NFL where the competition is much better. Could see him having a rough go of it in Denver and only having a 2-3 year career as a starter.

Team 3 10-tm SF PPR
WR: AJB, Diggs, Allen, Cooper, Wilson, Kirk, Sutton, Williams, Bateman, E. Moore

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Mon May 13, 2024 9:01 am

blemly wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:35 am I’ll add my rankings to this to start.

QB1 - Williams. He is not a perfect prospect, but there are far more great traits than even mediocre ones.

QB2 - Maye. Could end up biting me long-term, but the arm talent and experience (plus some sneaky athleticism) are too tantalizing for me not to take Maye as my QB2 in this class.

QB3 - Daniels. No doubt about it, Daniels is the most athletic QB in this class. And he doesn’t exhibit some of the one-read issues that Fields did in college either. This rank is not intended to be a knock on Daniels. He has very real durability concerns (as well as more mild concerns about his arm strength). I think having only seen him do it once is a large reason why I cannot justify having him above Maye.

QB4 - McCarthy. He’s fine and may end up having a productive NFL career. Doesn’t possess any elite traits to me and is just generally average to above average in everything. It’s an easy out but I just see a lot of Cousins in him as a passer.

QB5 - Penix. Too inconsistent and injury prone for me to justify having him at QB4, but this is an upside pick where he’s going. Has great athleticism and the potential to be better than McCarthy, but also has a lower floor.

QB6 - Nix. The Broncos over drafted Nix. He’s not a bad QB, but I don’t see him getting any better and he’s now in the NFL where the competition is much better. Could see him having a rough go of it in Denver and only having a 2-3 year career as a starter.
I agree with your rankings 100%.
I did not wind up with many of these QB's due to solid QB rooms in most of my SF leagues, and not being in the right place at the right time.

I wound up with only 1 share of Maye and 1 share of Penix in five 12/14 team rookie drafts.
I had the 1.01 in one league, so could have had Caleb, but WR was a much bigger need for that team, so I traded down from 1.01 to 1.02 and picked up some extra draft capital, then drafted MHJ at 1.02.

Even the league where I drafted Maye, my QB's are Mahomes/Kyler, so I could have gone elsewhere with my 1.05 pick, but Maye just represented too good of value for me to pass on him there.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon May 13, 2024 3:33 pm

Nix was the last QB to come off the board. I took him at pick 32 (16 team, single QB). I don't love the player, probably due to watching him at Auburn, but I like the landing spot with SP.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Nix
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Connor, Benson
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Woods

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Mon May 13, 2024 4:51 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:33 pm Nix was the last QB to come off the board. I took him at pick 32 (16 team, single QB). I don't love the player, probably due to watching him at Auburn, but I like the landing spot with SP.
He does kind of remind me of later years Drew Brees in a way (not with the entirely shot arm). Landing spot could go either way imo. I could see it being OK for him with Payton, but it also seems like the type of pick a coach pushes for when he is coaching for his job and those rarely seem to work out. WR room is subpar but Young had way worse last year.

Either way it will be really interesting to see how this QB class shakes out in 3-4 years.

Team 3 10-tm SF PPR

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:20 pm

Following.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON (R), Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK (R), CORLEY (R), COWING (R), Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON (R), Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER (R) RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME (R) WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING (R), MWASHINGTON (R) TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS (R), Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE (R), Goff, Cousins, PENIX (R), Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: HARRISON (R), DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS (R), Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, DPJ, Devante TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:30 am

Caleb
Maye/Daniels
Penix/JJM
Nix

Caleb is "generational". Comps Mahomes/Cutler

I like Maye 2nd, good arm, still young, but the landing spot has me on edge. Likely will not be in a position to draft either him or Daniels at current costs. Comps Allen/DJones

Daniels has the rushing upside, but I think his comps are too lofty. People are expecting Lamar, but not factoring in the size difference and lack of elusiveness in Daniels running game. I have him comped closer to RG3/Kyler, which is still solid as long as he stays healthy. I am also curious how he plays when he's not throwing to 2 stud WR. His landing spot has me on edge just as much as Maye's. I would rank these 2 behind the big 3 of last year, but ahead of other recent 1sts like Pickett, MacJones, Wilson, Fields as prospects. Comps Kyler/RG3

Next is Penix. One of my most "favorite" or intriguing QB prospects in a few years. He's older, has injury concerns, Captain Kirk at the helm. If it wasn't for ATL bringing in Kirk, I might have Penix as QB2. He throws a great deep ball, hits a ton of tight windows. But he was also hardly pressured (and bad when he was pressured). He also has scramble ability people are disregarding, which I think could help him in the pocket. There were some glimpses of him escaping the pressure also due to this. Overall, I'm likely staying away due to age and Kirk, but I'm going to try and stash him in spots just in case. Comps Rivers/Tua

JJM I need to dive more in on. I like the age and landing spot (this is where Penix should have gone), I just don't think there's a ton of upside here. JimmyG/Alex Smith

Nix, good luck with that one Denver lol

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Tue May 14, 2024 11:58 am

Jigga94 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:30 am Caleb
Maye/Daniels
Penix/JJM
Nix

Daniels has the rushing upside, but I think his comps are too lofty. People are expecting Lamar, but not factoring in the size difference and lack of elusiveness in Daniels running game. I have him comped closer to RG3/Kyler, which is still solid as long as he stays healthy. I am also curious how he plays when he's not throwing to 2 stud WR. His landing spot has me on edge just as much as Maye's. I would rank these 2 behind the big 3 of last year, but ahead of other recent 1sts like Pickett, MacJones, Wilson, Fields as prospects. Comps Kyler/RG3
Hell yea. RG3 was my comp for Daniels too. People will see that and think it is a bad thing, but RG3 had a couple explosive seasons and was valued as a top end dynasty asset before injuries really derailed his career.

Team 3 10-tm SF PPR