George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Re: George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

Postby TheTroll » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:47 am

Ice wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:07 pm Pickens should be ecstatic this year. Wilson's average pass before it was caught last year was 3.8 yards; That's an entire 1/10th of a yard more than Pickett managed last year. :think:
So Pickens is the underneath guy? 🤪🤪
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:48 am

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:37 am I don't see the situation being that much better than last year to just assume Pickens vaults up to the next tier. I think it will be more of the same and probably more volatile. Staying away from Arthur Smith and Fields/Russ
It's not really an assumption. He's got a (albeit slight) QB upgrade, and lost the biggest target hog on the team. He's in line for more targets, with a slightly better QB situation. Again, not saying he's going up a tier, but he will have the opportunity to improve on his numbers from last year.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:09 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:48 am
Jigga94 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:37 am I don't see the situation being that much better than last year to just assume Pickens vaults up to the next tier. I think it will be more of the same and probably more volatile. Staying away from Arthur Smith and Fields/Russ
It's not really an assumption. He's got a (albeit slight) QB upgrade, and lost the biggest target hog on the team. He's in line for more targets, with a slightly better QB situation. Again, not saying he's going up a tier, but he will have the opportunity to improve on his numbers from last year.
Everyone has opportunity to improve on last year. The QB situation is hardly something to factor in when it's trash to slightly better than trash. I guess I just don't get the debate. Everyone seems to agree he's likely still a WR3 in a bad passing offense. Unless you think he starts working out of the slot/underneath more, Diontae leaving is going to give someone else a boost.

70/1200/6 seems fine, but that's still backend WR2 status. And I think he will be frustrating to rely on as anything other than a flex

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:34 am

While we're discussing the 2022-23 seasons of various QBs, it might be helpful to have some, you know, actual statistical evidence.

2022 & 2023 stats, averaged and extrapolated to one 17 game season
Russ - 3736yds, 24TDs, 11INT
Pickett - 3042yds, 9TDs, 9INT

Naw. Not much difference between these two guys. :whistle:
Just a 22% increase in yards and a 166% increase in TDs.

Even without Diontae being elsewhere, it's kind of hard to imagine a scenario where Pickens' QB situation improves this much, yet he produces less than last season.

Again, this isn't about Russ being the superQB of 2024. This is about moving from the 2nd worst starting QB in the league (thank you Ridder) to a guy who is at least average.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:39 am

The team has given every indication that they are running the ball as a 1st and 2nd team option. I do think it is an assumption his that his situation has improved.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:50 am

murphysxm wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:39 am
The team has given every indication that they are running the ball as a 1st and 2nd team option. I do think it is an assumption his that his situation has improved.
It will be interesting to see how Smith creates some rhythm and high percentage looks for Pickens. Especially since he just did not do that for London or Pitts.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:04 am

Anteaters wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:34 am While we're discussing the 2022-23 seasons of various QBs, it might be helpful to have some, you know, actual statistical evidence.

Even without Diontae being elsewhere, it's kind of hard to imagine a scenario where Pickens' QB situation improves this much, yet he produces less than last season.

Again, this isn't about Russ being the superQB of 2024. This is about moving from the 2nd worst starting QB in the league (thank you Ridder) to a guy who is at least average.
Russ was still bottom half of the league last year in most per game stats. Yes, Pickett is awful, but why do we care if the QB situation goes from awful to just bad?

Now lets look at Arthur Smith offenses, which are usually top half of the league in rushing and bottom half in passing. The last 2 years, he failed to have a single pass catcher over 1000 yards. The 2 years prior, it was Pitts and AJB in TEN just barely eclipsing the 1k yards mark. I have Pickens a step or 3 below both of them talent wise.

Not to mention, the Steelers just went heavy on OL in the draft. They're telling you what they want to do in that offense.

Maybe Pickens goes 70/1200/12 and catches a ton of TD. I just don't see it
Last edited by Jigga94 on Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:11 am

Anteaters wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:34 am While we're discussing the 2022-23 seasons of various QBs, it might be helpful to have some, you know, actual statistical evidence.

EPA-DB / Y/A / Passer Rating / aDOT / QBR

Russell Wilson: .01 / 6.9 / 98.9 / 7.2 / 50.7
Justin Fields: -.02 / 6.9 / 86.3 / 8.0 / 46.1
Kenny Pickett: -.06 / 6.4 / 81.7 / 7.1 / 38.1

When you compare Wilson to Pickett and Fields, he looks a lot better.

But, when you think about Wilson in isolation, he's still posting a lot of key numbers that are way below average for an NFL starting QB. Comparing him to players who should be holding a Surface Pro isn't helpful

Wilson is better than Pickett, but not meaningfully. And whatever difference that is, having Arthur Smith as the OC on a team that does not have a very talented skill position group negates a lot of it.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:19 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:11 am

But, when you think about Wilson in isolation, he's still posting a lot of key numbers that are way below average for an NFL starting QB. Comparing him to players who should be holding a clipboard isn't helpful
But that's my point in a nutshell. Russ doesn't have to be above average for Pickens to have a good chance to outproduce his 2023 stats.

Fields was not a better-than-average QB in 2023, yet he supported a WR6 season for DJM. AOC helped give Devante Adams a WR10 season. Minshew was largely responsible for giving Pittman a WR13 season. We can go on and on, year after year. There are many examples of average (or slightly worse than average) QBs supporting T18WR seasons.

The bottom line is a WR does not need a T10QB to produce a T18WR season. A WR simply needs a QB who isn't at the complete bottom trash level of NFL QBs. Pickett was complete trash level. Russ is not. And as you said, compared to Pickett, Russ looks a LOT better.

Thus, there is logical reason to foresee a runway for Pickens to improve upon his 2023 statistics.
TEAM 1:
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:23 am

Anteaters wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:19 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:11 am

But, when you think about Wilson in isolation, he's still posting a lot of key numbers that are way below average for an NFL starting QB. Comparing him to players who should be holding a clipboard isn't helpful
But that's my point in a nutshell. Russ doesn't have to be above average for Pickens to have a good chance to outproduce his 2023 stats.

Fields was not a better-than-average QB in 2023, yet he supported a WR6 season for DJM. AOC helped give Devante Adams a WR10 season. Minshew was largely responsible for giving Pittman a WR13 season. We can go on and on, year after year. There are many examples of average (or slightly worse than average) QBs supporting T18WR seasons.

The bottom line is a WR does not need a T10QB to produce a T18WR season. A WR simply needs a QB who isn't at the complete bottom trash level of NFL QBs. Pickett was complete trash level. Russ is not. And as you said, compared to Pickett, Russ looks a LOT better.

Thus, there is logical reason to foresee a runway for Pickens to improve upon his 2023 statistics.
Except, Pickens hasn't proven he can perform like an Elite WR, like the ones you are comparing him to here.

Also, Arthur Smith

Fill in the blank. Pickens finishes as WR _ in PPR

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:33 am

If Pickens makes the jump that those players made, then he can absolutely have a huge season even with Fields or Wilson behind center.

But, even though he did improve last year, he's not quite the WR caliber like the players you just named. We've seen DJ Moore produce with trash QB after trash QB. Davante Adams is a 1st Ballot HOF. Michael Pittman is chronically underrated.

Pickens definitely made improvements last year, but there's still a ways to go before he gets that type of benefit of the doubt.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:17 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:33 am

If Pickens makes the jump that those players made, then he can absolutely have a huge season even with Fields or Wilson behind center.

But, even though he did improve last year, he's not quite the WR caliber like the players you just named. We've seen DJ Moore produce with trash QB after trash QB. Davante Adams is a 1st Ballot HOF. Michael Pittman is chronically underrated.

Pickens definitely made improvements last year, but there's still a ways to go before he gets that type of benefit of the doubt.
Jigga94 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:23 amExcept, Pickens hasn't proven he can perform like an Elite WR, like the ones you are comparing him to here.
This argument, I can understand better than the other reasons listed for saying Pickens won't improve upon his 2023 statistics.

If someone believes Pickens is a bum, then no more needs to be said. I'm not saying you two think Pickens is an out-and-out bum, but your statements above indicate you think Pickens is not going to ever be capable of producing a T18WR season. I can't debate that with you, because you've taken gauge of his talent and found it lacking. Fair enough.

Trying to discuss situation and the relative merits of QBs (as it relates to helping support a T18WR season) is something I can wrap my debate around. Trying to discuss pure skill and ability is kind of like choosing your favorite color. I can't tell you why green is better than red if you like red.

I got confused by all the other reasons detractors listed for why Pickens won't produce higher stats in 2024. If you see a lack of skill and ability, then you see a lack of ability and skill. Nuff said.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:37 am

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:23 amAlso, Arthur Smith

Fill in the blank. Pickens finishes as WR _ in PPR
The Arthur Smith complaints are kind of lazy logic in my opinion.

In 2020 AJB was WR12 in an Arthur Smith offense with a barely-average QB. If not for injuries, his 2021 season would have put him at WR19. He was WR20 in his rookie season in 2021.

Again, it's not Arthur Smith's system that was to blame in Atlanta the past two seasons. It was the horrific QB play in Atlanta. In 2021 when Atlanta had at-least average QB play by Matt Ryan, Pitts was TE6 and Ryan threw for 4000yds. That season, Atlanta attempted 573 pass and RBs rushed the ball 349 times.

Facts are facts. And the facts prove that when Arthur Smith has an adequate QB, he doesn't lean toward a run-heavy offense.

In 2022, with horrific QB performance (Mariota+Ridder), ATL attempted 415 passes and RBs rushed the ball 454 times AND QBs ran the ball an additional 101 times, for a total of 555 rushing attempts. Thus, in 2022 it is true to say ATL was a rush-heavy team.

However, it is incorrect to label Smith a "rushing-heavy" OC. It's better to label him a wise OC who does what his QBs are best suited to do. Mariota+Ridder were extremely inaccurate and slow processors. It would have been OC-malpractice to game script a pass-centric offense with QBs like them at the helm.

Russ is a little older than his prime, but no one has ever accused him of being a slow processor or inaccurate.

Facts are facts.
Last edited by Anteaters on Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:39 am

Fans on Arthur Smith’s own team rejoiced when he was fired.

Arrow up for Pickens

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:50 am

Pickens isn't AJB though and Russ/Fields arent Matt Ryan either. FaCtS aRe FacTs

Seriously just post what you think Pickens stat line and WR finish will be. He's likely a backend WR2 at best depending on how many TD he gets