Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby mild » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:44 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:24 pm Looking at the ADP on real drafts at MFL. Legette was there at 2.12. Are you buying shares there? I thought he'd go a lot sooner. I was kind of OUT on him, but that late...I may have to take the shot. Thoughts on him?
Find another receiver with his build and speed - and therefore upside to be a true X - that is available to you that late in this draft.

Those are all the thoughts you need.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:27 pm

I believe the RB discussion here completely misses the point. It was mentioned a page or 2 back, if the top 2 or so RBs lands in a good spot, like Dallas (I'll add Chargers) does that vault the RB to rookie late 1st value.

Absofreakinglutely! Seriously, what is there to debate here?

What wasn't mention was if said RB receives decent NFL draft capital. Lets say late 2nd round. I'm going to assume some RB will be drafted in the 2nd.

The fact that Dallas no longer has a dominant OL is completely irrelevant.
The fact that a rookie RB will not receive massive volume, is also completely irrelevant. If that was the case, would any RB, not drafted in the top of the 1st round NFL draft, ever be worth a rookie 1st round pick? Thats clearly not the case.

This is Dynasty. If we have the chance at drafting a rookie RB tied to a decent offense and good QB, hell yeah I want that RB.

Look at James Cook. Laughed at by the fantasy community. But he received late 2nd round NFL draft capital, and lo and behold, he delivered in fantasy in year 2. He was a smaller back, that required a team that plays spread offense...you know, like the team that drafted him, to find success.

This draft has a pretty solid top 9 in SF leagues. So we are talking about the top RB prospect, drafted to Dallas or Chargers, or somewhere else, vs decent prospects like Troy Franklin, Xavier Worthy, Ladd McConkey, Andonai Mitchel. These are not great prospects, they are nice prospects. I mean they are better than Skyy Moore as a prospect, what a complete whiff by the dynasty community he was, but compared against the top RB in this class, based on draft capital and landing spot, they are in no way clearly ahead in rookie drafts.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:57 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:32 am Why is DAL considered such a great spot for a rookie RB to land? They were hardly a great running team last season and had massive losses of talent in their O line this past offseason with no meaningful replacement. There’s a wide open backfield with lots of opportunity for carries, but those look like they’re going to be seriously low quality opportunities to me, and they’re also looking to be throwing more (read fewer rushing attempts) because they lost a lot of talent overall in the +/- of FA.

I can think of at least 6 situations immediately that I’d rather see a rookie RB go to. By God, if Brooks goes to DAL we’re looking at almost a perfect match made in Hell.
I pretty specifically said I would avoid. I also don’t believe the community has caught up to the reality of the holes Dallas has on their line. I am pretty adverse to factoring landing spots anyway, certainly when I don’t agree with consensus.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:32 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:24 pm Looking at the ADP on real drafts at MFL. Legette was there at 2.12. Are you buying shares there? I thought he'd go a lot sooner. I was kind of OUT on him, but that late...I may have to take the shot. Thoughts on him?
It's funny, a few months back and I would've said that's too early, but it sounds about right given what we know right now. He's around my WR10. I know the red flags, but I also see the upside. And you may as well shoot for upside that late in the draft

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:34 am

mild wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:44 pm
Find another receiver with his build and speed - and therefore upside to be a true X - that is available to you that late in this draft.

Those are all the thoughts you need.
Haha you got me there. I was thinking, no way theres another WR like that avaliable that late.... oh....

Maybe Johnny Wilson is available though :lol:

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:54 am

murphysxm wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:57 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:32 am Why is DAL considered such a great spot for a rookie RB to land? They were hardly a great running team last season and had massive losses of talent in their O line this past offseason with no meaningful replacement. There’s a wide open backfield with lots of opportunity for carries, but those look like they’re going to be seriously low quality opportunities to me, and they’re also looking to be throwing more (read fewer rushing attempts) because they lost a lot of talent overall in the +/- of FA.

I can think of at least 6 situations immediately that I’d rather see a rookie RB go to. By God, if Brooks goes to DAL we’re looking at almost a perfect match made in Hell.
I pretty specifically said I would avoid. I also don’t believe the community has caught up to the reality of the holes Dallas has on their line. I am pretty adverse to factoring landing spots anyway, certainly when I don’t agree with consensus.
I wasn’t targeting your comment specifically. I’m seeing a lot on various resources where DAL is the top spot for a rookie RB to be drafted, and I disagree. That O line is not going to be good. It came up again here and I just added my thoughts.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:59 am

remedy29 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:27 pm I believe the RB discussion here completely misses the point. It was mentioned a page or 2 back, if the top 2 or so RBs lands in a good spot, like Dallas (I'll add Chargers) does that vault the RB to rookie late 1st value.

What wasn't mention was if said RB receives decent NFL draft capital. Lets say late 2nd round. I'm going to assume some RB will be drafted in the 2nd.

The fact that a rookie RB will not receive massive volume, is also completely irrelevant. If that was the case, would any RB, not drafted in the top of the 1st round NFL draft, ever be worth a rookie 1st round pick? Thats clearly not the case.

This is Dynasty. If we have the chance at drafting a rookie RB tied to a decent offense and good QB, hell yeah I want that RB.

Look at James Cook. Laughed at by the fantasy community. But he received late 2nd round NFL draft capital, and lo and behold, he delivered in fantasy in year 2. He was a smaller back, that required a team that plays spread offense...you know, like the team that drafted him, to find success.
100% agree.

Value and results are two different conversations. If Dallas uses a Top 64 pick on Brooks, he's unquestionably going to jump in value. The typical fantasy player isn't going to care about what the offensive line looks like right now. The headline is "Dallas drafts a RB in the second round" and usually that's enough to move someone up in popular opinion. However you want to use that for your game is up to you. Stocks go up and down for reasons we don't agree with all the time.

It doesn't mean he's going to light the world on fire this upcoming season, but he will objectively have good value all offseason.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:16 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:59 am
remedy29 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:27 pm I believe the RB discussion here completely misses the point. It was mentioned a page or 2 back, if the top 2 or so RBs lands in a good spot, like Dallas (I'll add Chargers) does that vault the RB to rookie late 1st value.

100% agree.

Value and results are two different conversations. If Dallas uses a Top 64 pick on Brooks, he's unquestionably going to jump in value. The typical fantasy player isn't going to care about what the offensive line looks like right now. The headline is "Dallas drafts a RB in the second round" and usually that's enough to move someone up in popular opinion. However you want to use that for your game is up to you. Stocks go up and down for reasons we don't agree with all the time.

It doesn't mean he's going to light the world on fire this upcoming season, but he will objectively have good value all offseason.
Well, I’ll disagree again (hard to believe, isn’t it?). I’m not a fan of buying into declining offenses, and I see DAL as a team that could implode quickly. Questionable HC, very volatile QB situation, very largely negative talent quotient in offseason movement, base O took a massive hit on the O line that negatively affects all O skill players. Then add a narcissistic owner who loves to meddle in team matters.

Maybe they’ll rebound with a ridiculously great draft, but this looks to me like a franchise on a down swing that could turn into a free fall. Those situations can take years to recover from.

This is nothing like Cook going to BUF. That was a team on the rise at the time and one that is very likely to be a stable strong O for the next few years. That’s a system to take the risk to buy into and get a piece of early. The comparison of that situation to where DAL is headed right now is a really poor one IMO.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:27 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:16 am Well, I’ll disagree again (hard to believe, isn’t it?). I’m not a fan of buying into declining offenses, and I see DAL as a team that could implode quickly. Questionable HC, very volatile QB situation, very largely negative talent quotient in offseason movement, base O took a massive hit on the O line that negatively affects all O skill players. Then add a narcissistic owner who loves to meddle in team matters.

Maybe they’ll rebound with a ridiculously great draft, but this looks to me like a franchise on a down swing that could turn into a free fall. Those situations can take years to recover from.

This is nothing like Cook going to BUF. That was a team on the rise at the time and one that is very likely to be a stable strong O for the next few years. That’s a system to take the risk to buy into and get a piece of early. The comparison of that situation to where DAL is headed right now is a really poor one IMO.
There's nothing wrong with how you feel about it. But, the question is about value, which is how most people feel about it.

Again, the headline will still be "Dallas uses 2nd round draft capital on a RB" and that is enough to create positive value from public opinion for a typical player. Because it's Dallas, it's draft capital and they have a garbage RB room. Brooks will objectively bump up in value. He certainly won't get worse. Sure, their offensive line is worse, but how many people actually know that?

However you want to manipulate that to your advantage is up to you. Someone who isn't a fan could be on the clock at a draft spot where multiple owners want him and profit. Simple as that.

None of this is an endorsement of him as a player or talent. It's strictly looking at value and what influences it.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:38 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:27 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:16 am Well, I’ll disagree again (hard to believe, isn’t it?). I’m not a fan of buying into declining offenses, and I see DAL as a team that could implode quickly. Questionable HC, very volatile QB situation, very largely negative talent quotient in offseason movement, base O took a massive hit on the O line that negatively affects all O skill players. Then add a narcissistic owner who loves to meddle in team matters.

There's nothing wrong with how you feel about it. But, the question is about value, which is how most people feel about it.

Again, the headline will still be "Dallas uses 2nd round draft capital on a RB" and that is enough to create positive value from public opinion for a typical player. Because it's Dallas, it's draft capital and they have a garbage RB room. Brooks will objectively bump up in value. He certainly won't get worse. Sure, their offensive line is worse, but how many people actually know that?

However you want to manipulate that to your advantage is up to you. Someone who isn't a fan could be on the clock at a draft spot where multiple owners want him and profit. Simple as that.

None of this is an endorsement of him as a player or talent. It's strictly looking at value and what influences it.
I’ll agree with that. You always want to be aware of perception of value. I was addressing burning the pick on the player yourself rather than using that perception to leverage better return.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:00 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:27 am

100% agree with this. I completely want to be OTC late in the first with whoever Dallas takes still available. For me I will be all over selling the pick to move back and acquiring more picks because there will be multiple WR's I feel pretty similar about.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Menace2010
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Menace2010 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:03 am

I'm in desperate need of a RB and sitting at 1.9 in a 16 team league. Not the best year for that to be the case. Hoping someone wants to move up and/or sell me a RB I like more for the pick once I'm on the clock...

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:12 am

Menace2010 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:03 am I'm in desperate need of a RB and sitting at 1.9 in a 16 team league. Not the best year for that to be the case. Hoping someone wants to move up and/or sell me a RB I like more for the pick once I'm on the clock...
I think there's a good chance that a week from now most rookie rankings have an RB at 1.9 or so. Someone will land in a nice situation.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:31 am

Menace2010 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:03 am I'm in desperate need of a RB and sitting at 1.9 in a 16 team league. Not the best year for that to be the case. Hoping someone wants to move up and/or sell me a RB I like more for the pick once I'm on the clock...
Wait for your pick to come up and trade for an underrated vet that’s set in a good situation so that they won’t be seriously threatened by a higher RB picked in the draft.

Either that or trade back into the top of the 2nd round and see who goes where this draft.

81-
Captain
Captain

Postby 81- » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:40 am

welcome to draft day boys and girls. do we have girls here?

anyways... lets get on with the Caleb coronation

and i don't disagree with trying to leverage a players situation to get something else of value. Our old pal CEH is a great example of stretching based on destination and opportunity. You really want situation/opportunity and talent.
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27