Pick 1.02 dilemma

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

Pick 1.02 dilemma

Postby grandmabetty » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:19 am

I have the 1.02 pick this year. Despite needing a QB the guy ahead of me claims he will be taking MJH. Below is my team. I won the title last year albeit with a very different team. I really dont have room for another QB as i have 3 top 10 QBs already but i dont think you can pass up a propsect of Caleb's caliber. Now the obvious answer is trade the pick or draft Caleb and trade one of the QBs later. The problem is this league doesnt always trade all that often and for some reason they seem to devalue QBs a bit (not smart i know but what can ya say other than its a sin to let a sucker keep his money). I really was banking on MJH being available at 2. My WR room is obviously good but on the older side. I made a massive trade for most of these receivers which involved Lamb and Pitts which i somewhat regret. Thats a different matter but one of the main reasons i made that trade was because i was banking on getting my new Lamb (MJH) with the 1.02. I also really like Nabers too but i think im leaving value on the table if i pass up on Williams and possibly even Jayden. Thoughts?

12-team SF 2RB/3WR/2 W/R/T
QBs: Richardson, Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, Pickett, Darnold...
RBs: Stevenson, Gibbs, Warren, Gibson, Gainwell, Keaten Mitchell...
WRs: Tyrek Hill, Diggs, DJ Moore, Kupp, JSN, Dionte, Wicks, Boyd...
TEs: Laporta, Jonnu...

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Re: Pick 1.02 dilemma

Postby TheTroll » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:56 pm

grandmabetty wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:19 am I have the 1.02 pick this year. Despite needing a QB the guy ahead of me claims he will be taking MJH. Below is my team. I won the title last year albeit with a very different team. I really dont have room for another QB as i have 3 top 10 QBs already but i dont think you can pass up a propsect of Caleb's caliber. Now the obvious answer is trade the pick or draft Caleb and trade one of the QBs later. The problem is this league doesnt always trade all that often and for some reason they seem to devalue QBs a bit (not smart i know but what can ya say other than its a sin to let a sucker keep his money). I really was banking on MJH being available at 2. My WR room is obviously good but on the older side. I made a massive trade for most of these receivers which involved Lamb and Pitts which i somewhat regret. Thats a different matter but one of the main reasons i made that trade was because i was banking on getting my new Lamb (MJH) with the 1.02. I also really like Nabers too but i think im leaving value on the table if i pass up on Williams and possibly even Jayden. Thoughts?

this is off season owner coach speak...the only way you can trust who is getting drafted at 1.01 is if you are actually picking 1.01 :D
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:52 pm

grandmabetty wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:19 am I have the 1.02 pick this year. Despite needing a QB the guy ahead of me claims he will be taking MJH. Below is my team. I won the title last year albeit with a very different team. I really dont have room for another QB as i have 3 top 10 QBs already but i dont think you can pass up a propsect of Caleb's caliber. Now the obvious answer is trade the pick or draft Caleb and trade one of the QBs later. The problem is this league doesnt always trade all that often and for some reason they seem to devalue QBs a bit (not smart i know but what can ya say other than its a sin to let a sucker keep his money). I really was banking on MJH being available at 2. My WR room is obviously good but on the older side. I made a massive trade for most of these receivers which involved Lamb and Pitts which i somewhat regret. Thats a different matter but one of the main reasons i made that trade was because i was banking on getting my new Lamb (MJH) with the 1.02. I also really like Nabers too but i think im leaving value on the table if i pass up on Williams and possibly even Jayden. Thoughts?

This is my main thought, yes, you can't leave Caleb on the board for the lucky draft winner at 1.03.
So you should start working on trading down, but not far, as I also have Nabers as relatively equal to MHJ.
So you are playing a chess match here. I am 99.9% sure that Nabers will not go any higher than 1.03, but at that point all bets are off.

So I would look at 1.03 roster, and look to trade back, even if you only get a 2nd, it's better than just taking Nabers at 1.02.

I had a situation where I had the 1.01, and wanted to take MHJ because my QB room is solid, and my WR room is weak.
However, I knew that 1.02 and 1.03 were desperate at QB, so I played them against each other.
I wound up trading away 1.01 + a mid 25 2nd for 1.02 + a mid/late 25 1st.

Start chatting with your 1.03/1.04 owners, to see what they might want to do here.

Or you could just draft Caleb and trade away Lamar, ARich, or Hurts.
So much to work with here. Trade ARich for Lamb.

JamboMac
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JamboMac » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:09 pm

Let the draft commence, if he is really dumb and doesn't take CW at 1.01 then put that 1.02 up for sale and get yourself a haul.
12 team - 1QB, PPR
QB- Mahomes, Geno, Dobbs
RB- Ekeler, Taylor, Z.White, B.Robinson, Mattison, Stevenson, Zeke
WR- Allen, Jefferson, Tyreek, AJ Brown, M.Thomas, Atwell
TE- McBride, Waller, J.Smith

12 team - SF, PPR, 0.25PPC, 1.5 TEP
QB - Allen, Lawrence, Jackson
RB - JT, Etienne, Hall, K.Williams, Gibbs, Dobbins
WR - Lamb, St Brown, AJ Brown, Aiyuk, JSN, Meyers
TE - Pitts, Engram, Freiermuth, Otton,

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:35 am

JamboMac wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:09 pm Let the draft commence, if he is really dumb and doesn't take CW at 1.01 then put that 1.02 up for sale and get yourself a haul.
This is the right move.

If I held the 1.03 and wanted CW, I'm not paying anywhere close to full value to move up to 1.02 until after MHJR goes 1.01. You won't get the best return until the 1.02 is OTC and CW is still on the board.

You're in a good position no matter what.

Edgy68
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Edgy68 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:25 pm

Have you had conversations with the 1.01 about how often star QBs become available? I have the 1.02 and needed a QB, but the 1.01 said he was taking MHJ. Someone got in his ear about SF and he changed his mind. You may be able to sway him.
Wasteland
12-team, PPR 25 roster 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1(RB/WR/TE), 1 D/ST
QB J. Burrow, A. Richardson
RB J. Taylor, B. Hall, D. Henry, D. Achane, K. Miller, R. Johnson, M. Sanders, T. Sermon, C. Patterson, P. Strong, K. Ingram, TDP
WR AJ Brown, J. Chase, C. Lamb, C. Ridley, JSN, G. Pickens, K. Osborn, J. Meyers, A. Pierce, T. Scott
TE T. Kelce, D. Goedert, G. Dulcich, J. Woods
D/ST MIN, PIT, DEN

Panthers
12-team SF, .5 PPR 35 roster: 1QB, 1SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 2DB, 2LB, 2DL, 1FLEX
QB J. Burrow, A. Richardson, B. Mayfield, J. Winston, S. Howell
RB J. Mixon, E. Elliott, N. Chubb, J. Kelley, K. Harris, J. Ford
WR T. Higgins, C. Ridley, J. Smith-Njigba, D. Hopkins, C. Godwin, J. Mingo
TE T. Kelce, K. Pitts, Z. Ertz, D. Goedert, J. Ferguson
DB R. Grant, J. Simmons
DL D. Hunter, A. Highsmith, S. Hubbard
LB C. Mosley, A. Singleton, P. Queen, D. Deablo
1.03, 2.03, 2.06, 3.05, 4.06

kellysheroes
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby kellysheroes » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:59 pm

Take CW and don't look back

Injury Prone
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Injury Prone » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:58 pm

Struggling to identify your dilemma. 😂

You have a stacked team, won last year and still have the 1.02. You mention the league is trade-resistant, but also note your team is very different than last year (ie. implies lots of trades this offseason). You also clearly had 1 top pick in 2022 (A Rich) and 2 high picks in 2023 (Gibbs, JSN). So you’ve either done a killer / fast rebuild, or also managed some sweet trades for top draft picks.

I suspect you’ll find some great trade options. But we all expect overpays for studs (esp QB studs in SF). However, sometimes owners are unwilling to overpay a team that is already very dominant.

We’re all envious of your dilemna. 😉
Team 1
12 team, TE prem ++, start 13
2Qb, 2RB, 3WR, 2TE, 4 Flex
QB: Watson, Stafford, Jimmy G, Tannehill
RB: Bijan, Achane, C Brown, Roschon, G Edwards, Chandler, Keandre, Ford, Demercado, Z Evans, Dotson, Edmonds
WR: Puka, DJM, Addison, Dionte, Kirk, Hollywood, Cooks, T Burks, T Scott
TE: LaPorta, Engram, Bellinger, B Jordan

1.03, 1.05, 2.03, 4.03, 4.09, 5.03, 6.03
2025: 2nd - 6th
2026: All, plus 2nd

Team 2. Champ 2023
12 team, SF, start 10
1QB, 2RB, 3Wr, 1TE, 1SF, 2 Flex
QB: Allen, Cousins, Stafford, D Jones
RB: Etienne, Taylor, Kyren, Connor, Perine, J Hill, M Sanders, Akers
WR: Davante, Addison, M Evans, K Allen, JSN, Cooks, Mims
TE: Engram, Njoku, D Allen

3.1, 3.12, 4.12
2025: 2nd - 4th
2026: all picks

grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

Postby grandmabetty » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:58 am

Injury Prone wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:58 pm Struggling to identify your dilemma. 😂

You have a stacked team, won last year and still have the 1.02. You mention the league is trade-resistant, but also note your team is very different than last year (ie. implies lots of trades this offseason). You also clearly had 1 top pick in 2022 (A Rich) and 2 high picks in 2023 (Gibbs, JSN). So you’ve either done a killer / fast rebuild, or also managed some sweet trades for top draft picks.

I suspect you’ll find some great trade options. But we all expect overpays for studs (esp QB studs in SF). However, sometimes owners are unwilling to overpay a team that is already very dominant.

ya i get your drift. i may have misrepresented the lack of trading aspect to this league. Ive made a fair amount of trades. the 1.02 pick i actually acquired from a trade made 2 years ago. A Rich i acquired when i dealt Mahomes last year...

Its not so much the league doesnt trade its moreso that 4 or 5 teams (including myself) are active. So what ends up happening is we sometimes end up just swapping teams out every few years. Gets annoying. Anyway, the inactive teams are usually at the top of the draft so my trade back a few spot options are likely limited. The ideal scenerio might be to trade back to the 1.03 or 1.04 and add capital but i know for a fact those teams havent opened the app since last year lol.

Anyway thanks for the feedback from all.

Injury Prone
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Injury Prone » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:38 am

grandmabetty wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:58 am
Injury Prone wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:58 pm Struggling to identify your dilemma. 😂

ya i get your drift. i may have misrepresented the lack of trading aspect to this league. Ive made a fair amount of trades. the 1.02 pick i actually acquired from a trade made 2 years ago. A Rich i acquired when i dealt Mahomes last year...

Its not so much the league doesnt trade its moreso that 4 or 5 teams (including myself) are active. So what ends up happening is we sometimes end up just swapping teams out every few years. Gets annoying. Anyway, the inactive teams are usually at the top of the draft so my trade back a few spot options are likely limited. The ideal scenerio might be to trade back to the 1.03 or 1.04 and add capital but i know for a fact those teams havent opened the app since last year lol.

Anyway thanks for the feedback from all.
Totally get it and not trying to be an Ahole.

Limited trade partners def gets frustrating. Typically they are middle of the road teams - I prefer to be all in rebuilding or contending. Harder rebuild if 1/2 the league doesn’t trade. Glad you’ve got a strong contender on your hands.
Team 1
12 team, TE prem ++, start 13
2Qb, 2RB, 3WR, 2TE, 4 Flex
QB: Watson, Stafford, Jimmy G, Tannehill
RB: Bijan, Achane, C Brown, Roschon, G Edwards, Chandler, Keandre, Ford, Demercado, Z Evans, Dotson, Edmonds
WR: Puka, DJM, Addison, Dionte, Kirk, Hollywood, Cooks, T Burks, T Scott
TE: LaPorta, Engram, Bellinger, B Jordan

1.03, 1.05, 2.03, 4.03, 4.09, 5.03, 6.03
2025: 2nd - 6th
2026: All, plus 2nd

Team 2. Champ 2023
12 team, SF, start 10
1QB, 2RB, 3Wr, 1TE, 1SF, 2 Flex
QB: Allen, Cousins, Stafford, D Jones
RB: Etienne, Taylor, Kyren, Connor, Perine, J Hill, M Sanders, Akers
WR: Davante, Addison, M Evans, K Allen, JSN, Cooks, Mims
TE: Engram, Njoku, D Allen