Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Online
BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year
Posts: 2339
Joined: Mon May 17, 2021 3:02 pm

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby BabyChark23 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:34 am

Been having a lot of trade talks leading up to the draft over the past few weeks, but most of them never make it to the point of an actual deal. Rather than start another new thread, I thought this might be an appropriate place since it’s draft related.

In a 12 team 2QB PPR start 10, am in discussions on mega deal which has become:

Give: Gibbs, Higgins, 2.02
Receive: 1.03, Joe Mixon, 1.11

I like the pivot from Gibbs to 1.03, since I could go QB2 in this format or grab elite WR. The pick upgrade is nice and having Mixon would be cool since I’m moving Gibbs, but it feels like I’m giving up a good bit on the Higgins part of this deal. I also have 1.02, 1.08 as well. What does everyone else think on this?

Shcritters
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2775
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:07 pm

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby Shcritters » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:42 am

BabyChark23 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:34 am Been having a lot of trade talks leading up to the draft over the past few weeks, but most of them never make it to the point of an actual deal. Rather than start another new thread, I thought this might be an appropriate place since it’s draft related.

In a 12 team 2QB PPR start 10, am in discussions on mega deal which has become:

Give: Gibbs, Higgins, 2.02
Receive: 1.03, Joe Mixon, 1.11

I like the pivot from Gibbs to 1.03, since I could go QB2 in this format or grab elite WR. The pick upgrade is nice and having Mixon would be cool since I’m moving Gibbs, but it feels like I’m giving up a good bit on the Higgins part of this deal. I also have 1.02, 1.08 as well. What does everyone else think on this?
The value is on the Gibbs side. In 10-tm extra value is on studs… so I’d be hard pressed to give up two starters for a shot at a QB, an expiring RB, and a late 1st (which is 50-50 hit/miss territory). Especially if you have the 1.02, where you could take a QB if you wanted, I’d be hesitant to do this.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Caleb, Purdy, Levis, Penix
RB: Pacheco, Estime, Vaughn
WR: Nabers, Coleman, Downs, EMoore, Jeudy, Burton, MMims, MWilson
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Sinnott, Mayer
2025: 3 1sts, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, 2 4ths

SafeLeague #2
QB: Caleb, Richardson, Purdy, JJMcCarthy
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Nabers, Worthy, McConkey, Brian Thomas Jr, Pearsall, Mims, Burton, Mingo, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Bowers, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker
2025: 3 1sts, 2 2nds

JoeJoe88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler
Posts: 1139
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:53 am

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby JoeJoe88 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:28 am

BabyChark23 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:34 am Been having a lot of trade talks leading up to the draft over the past few weeks, but most of them never make it to the point of an actual deal. Rather than start another new thread, I thought this might be an appropriate place since it’s draft related.

In a 12 team 2QB PPR start 10, am in discussions on mega deal which has become:

Give: Gibbs, Higgins, 2.02
Receive: 1.03, Joe Mixon, 1.11

I like the pivot from Gibbs to 1.03, since I could go QB2 in this format or grab elite WR. The pick upgrade is nice and having Mixon would be cool since I’m moving Gibbs, but it feels like I’m giving up a good bit on the Higgins part of this deal. I also have 1.02, 1.08 as well. What does everyone else think on this?
I’m not making that move, personally. It’s going to look really bad if Tee has a great year like I expect and breaks the bank next off-season as some teams unquestioned alpha.

User avatar
Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend
Posts: 5066
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:52 am

So last year the Cardinals were caught tampering when they hired away an Eagles coach. The Cards had to swap thirds in 2023 and give the Eagles a this year 5th. The NFL kind of hid that by announcing it on the morning of draft day.

Anyone think the Falcons will have to make a similar concession to the Vikings for the Kirk Cousins tampering, and do you think the Vikings are waiting on this before making a trade up to get a QB?
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

User avatar
mild
Legend
Legend
Posts: 5957
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:23 pm
Location: the Jalen Hurts bus

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby mild » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:27 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:52 am So last year the Cardinals were caught tampering when they hired away an Eagles coach. The Cards had to swap thirds in 2023 and give the Eagles a this year 5th. The NFL kind of hid that by announcing it on the morning of draft day.

Anyone think the Falcons will have to make a similar concession to the Vikings for the Kirk Cousins tampering, and do you think the Vikings are waiting on this before making a trade up to get a QB?
No, I don't think there's a forthcoming punishment for the Falcons over Cousins.

With the Vikings though, it's pretty damn interesting. We're all sitting here wondering why they haven't made a move yet. The only thing we can say with certainty is: they definitely like at least 4 QB's in this draft.

So - Either they've got a handshake deal in place with the Cards or Chargers (or maybe even Patriots?) that is dependant on how the board shakes out...

OR they've literally made that move with no assurances, and tipped their hand - in which case their negotiating partners have them over a barrel. (Arguably they already do)

There's also the possibility that they're currently involved in a bidding war behind closed doors, if their trade partner reneged on the deal - but I find both these latter possibilities less likely. Reneging on a handshake deal would be a bad look for a GM going forward, and I also find it very difficult to believe that Zygi Wilf would have signed off on them trading their future away without a solid plan in place.

My theories on the hold up / contingent picks:

- The Patriots are hoping to get Drake Maye at 1.03, but will be open to moving the pick if he's not there
- The Cardinals have told teams that they're taking Marv at 1.04 -but- just in case they have a late change of heart, Minnesota can't pull the trigger on another deal for 1.05 yet for fear of getting jumped
- The Chargers, posturing the whole way that they would like to trade down, are the current handshake deal team with Minnesota, who will give up both 1sts to move to 1.05 presuming that JJ McCarthy (or Maye, or Daniels) is still on the board. Key move here is getting ahead of the Giants at 1.06 + ensuring they haven't jumped them (they will make sure they outbid them + any of the Denver/Raiders/Saints clown shows)

Discuss. :)

Online
BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year
Posts: 2339
Joined: Mon May 17, 2021 3:02 pm

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby BabyChark23 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:46 pm

mild wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:27 pm
Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:52 am So last year the Cardinals were caught tampering when they hired away an Eagles coach. The Cards had to swap thirds in 2023 and give the Eagles a this year 5th. The NFL kind of hid that by announcing it on the morning of draft day.

Anyone think the Falcons will have to make a similar concession to the Vikings for the Kirk Cousins tampering, and do you think the Vikings are waiting on this before making a trade up to get a QB?
No, I don't think there's a forthcoming punishment for the Falcons over Cousins.

With the Vikings though, it's pretty damn interesting. We're all sitting here wondering why they haven't made a move yet. The only thing we can say with certainty is: they definitely like at least 4 QB's in this draft.

So - Either they've got a handshake deal in place with the Cards or Chargers (or maybe even Patriots?) that is dependant on how the board shakes out...

OR they've literally made that move with no assurances, and tipped their hand - in which case their negotiating partners have them over a barrel. (Arguably they already do)

There's also the possibility that they're currently involved in a bidding war behind closed doors, if their trade partner reneged on the deal - but I find both these latter possibilities less likely. Reneging on a handshake deal would be a bad look for a GM going forward, and I also find it very difficult to believe that Zygi Wilf would have signed off on them trading their future away without a solid plan in place.

My theories on the hold up / contingent picks:

- The Patriots are hoping to get Drake Maye at 1.03, but will be open to moving the pick if he's not there
- The Cardinals have told teams that they're taking Marv at 1.04 -but- just in case they have a late change of heart, Minnesota can't pull the trigger on another deal for 1.05 yet for fear of getting jumped
- The Chargers, posturing the whole way that they would like to trade down, are the current handshake deal team with Minnesota, who will give up both 1sts to move to 1.05 presuming that JJ McCarthy (or Maye, or Daniels) is still on the board. Key move here is getting ahead of the Giants at 1.06 + ensuring they haven't jumped them (they will make sure they outbid them + any of the Denver/Raiders/Saints clown shows)

Discuss. :)
Or… maybe they like Nix or Penix and think they will be there at 23. They just wanted to get into the first round to get the fifth year option, something the Titans tried and failed to do during the draft last year. I think this is unlikely, but it does fit the data available.

User avatar
mild
Legend
Legend
Posts: 5957
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:23 pm
Location: the Jalen Hurts bus

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby mild » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:52 pm

BabyChark23 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:46 pm Or… maybe they like Nix or Penix and think they will be there at 23. They just wanted to get into the first round to get the fifth year option, something the Titans tried and failed to do during the draft last year. I think this is unlikely, but it does fit the data available.
I'll push back here.

You don't give up your future and arm yourself with a second 1st months before the draft because you're trading down for a QB. You'd just do that on the night.

You do that so you can trade -up-.

If you can find me a tangible example of a team with a QB need doing this series of moves and then using their latter 1st on a QB, I'd be all ears. 8-)

User avatar
Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend
Posts: 5066
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:14 pm

mild wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:52 pm
BabyChark23 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:46 pm Or… maybe they like Nix or Penix and think they will be there at 23. They just wanted to get into the first round to get the fifth year option, something the Titans tried and failed to do during the draft last year. I think this is unlikely, but it does fit the data available.
I'll push back here.

You don't give up your future and arm yourself with a second 1st months before the draft because you're trading down for a QB. You'd just do that on the night.

You do that so you can trade -up-.

If you can find me a tangible example of a team with a QB need doing this series of moves and then using their latter 1st on a QB, I'd be all ears. 8-)
Word on the street is that the Texans initiated that trade. It's possible the Vikings aren't planning on a move up. I think they are, but who knows.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

TheTroll
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6752
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:57 am

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby TheTroll » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:17 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:14 pm
mild wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:52 pm
BabyChark23 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:46 pm Or… maybe they like Nix or Penix and think they will be there at 23. They just wanted to get into the first round to get the fifth year option, something the Titans tried and failed to do during the draft last year. I think this is unlikely, but it does fit the data available.
I'll push back here.

You don't give up your future and arm yourself with a second 1st months before the draft because you're trading down for a QB. You'd just do that on the night.

You do that so you can trade -up-.

If you can find me a tangible example of a team with a QB need doing this series of moves and then using their latter 1st on a QB, I'd be all ears. 8-)
Word on the street is that the Texans initiated that trade. It's possible the Vikings aren't planning on a move up. I think they are, but who knows.
Regardless the draft is going to be awesome! Full of surprises and trades.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Payton34
Captain
Captain
Posts: 971
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:07 pm

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby Payton34 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:29 pm

Side note: Is anyone else wondering why the Jets aren’t in the QB market? They literally lost Rodgers 4 plays into last season. He’s old as f*ck. But they’re acting like they’re set at the position.

Did they learn nothing from last year? It’s sad to see that roster wasted year after year with crap QB play.
12 teams, 6pts all TDs, 1/2 pt PPR. 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D, 2 FLEX RB/WR/TE

QBs - P Mahomes,
RBs - Bijan, J Jacobs, K Walker, B Hall,
WRs - AJ Brown, J Waddle, DJ Moore, T Higgins, D London, Smith-Njigba, AT Perry
TEs - D Kincaid, Musgrave
Ks - Boswell, McPherson
Ds - Texans, Jets

2024 - 3 1st rounders... Picks 1.5, 1.7, 1.11… 2 2nds 2.17, 2.19 1 3rd 3.31…

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:13 pm

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby frerichs5 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:37 pm

Payton34 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:29 pm Side note: Is anyone else wondering why the Jets aren’t in the QB market? They literally lost Rodgers 4 plays into last season. He’s old as f*ck. But they’re acting like they’re set at the position.

Did they learn nothing from last year? It’s sad to see that roster wasted year after year with crap QB play.
They probably aren’t in position to get one unless they loved Nix or Penix at 10. They have no 2nd rounder from the Rodgers trade. So most likely seems to be trade up for one (unlikely in my opinion), or trade back and try to get one of those two later.

I could definitely see them taking a mid-late round QB.

User avatar
mild
Legend
Legend
Posts: 5957
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:23 pm
Location: the Jalen Hurts bus

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby mild » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:11 pm

frerichs5 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:37 pm
Payton34 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:29 pm Side note: Is anyone else wondering why the Jets aren’t in the QB market? They literally lost Rodgers 4 plays into last season. He’s old as f*ck. But they’re acting like they’re set at the position.

Did they learn nothing from last year? It’s sad to see that roster wasted year after year with crap QB play.
They probably aren’t in position to get one unless they loved Nix or Penix at 10. They have no 2nd rounder from the Rodgers trade. So most likely seems to be trade up for one (unlikely in my opinion), or trade back and try to get one of those two later.

I could definitely see them taking a mid-late round QB.
Payton's actually on to something here - we've seen what happens when Rodgers' team takes a 1st round QB to compete with him... he turns in back-to-back MVP seasons!

But no, the Jets are all in on this. The eggs are all in the Rodgers basket. If they don't have a winning season this year, everyone's fired anyway - FO, and Coaches. They've added Tyrod Taylor as a backup, and they will probably deem that as "good enough" at QB2.

The moment they add another QB with a high pick instead of doing "all in" moves, they'll upset their franchise golden boy Aaron and he'll throw his toys from the cot. They've made their bed; they must now lie in it.

Online
User avatar
wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6085
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:23 am
Contact:

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:13 pm

Who is somebody you're avoiding in the draft?
Who is somebody you're going to reach on in this draft?

I'm avoiding Legette and Coleman.
I'm reaching on Pearsall and Bowers in TEP (if it even IS a reach).
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON (R), Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK (R), CORLEY (R), COWING (R), Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON (R), Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER (R) RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME (R) WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING (R), MWASHINGTON (R) TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS (R), Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE (R), Goff, Cousins, PENIX (R), Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: HARRISON (R), DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS (R), Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, DPJ, Devante TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2674
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:20 pm

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby MacDaddy123 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:32 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:13 pm Who is somebody you're avoiding in the draft?
Who is somebody you're going to reach on in this draft?

I'm avoiding Legette and Coleman.
I'm reaching on Pearsall and Bowers in TEP (if it even IS a reach).
I would say I am avoiding RB's in round 1 of the draft.

I would say that I will slightly reach for Odunze, maybe Troy Franklin too.
I have a couple of 1.12 picks, and have no problem taking Franklin there.

User avatar
mild
Legend
Legend
Posts: 5957
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:23 pm
Location: the Jalen Hurts bus

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby mild » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:49 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:14 pm Word on the street is that the Texans initiated that trade. It's possible the Vikings aren't planning on a move up. I think they are, but who knows.
Would love to see a source on that.

As for the latter...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/398 ... s-qb-plans
Earlier this month, the Vikings acquired the No. 23 overall pick from the Houston Texans to give themselves options as they consider a potential trade up from their original spot at No. 11 overall. General manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah has said "there's a preferred scenario" for how next month's draft will play out, but O'Connell joined him Monday in noting that the team can't simply will itself to move up.

"There's a lot that goes into that," O'Connell said. "We need another team to be complicit in that action to go get one of those guys, if that ends up being the plan. But I am excited to kind of see this process through and see if we can potentially add our quarterback in the future to that room."
Emphasis mine.

They have a "preferred scenario". Otherwise known as: "a handshake deal" contingent on if the board falls the right way to "potentially add our quarterback of the future".

Like I said. The only things we can say for sure is that they have positioned themselves to move up for the right player, and that they must like at least 4 QB's in this draft. You don't make that trade with Houston otherwise.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BabyChark23, Bronco Billy, wickerkat1212 and 5 guests