Dynasty Tight End Tiers Going Into 2024?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Dynasty Tight End Tiers Going Into 2024?

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:24 am

Mike11 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:42 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:07 pm
gunfrees wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:16 pm How are everyone’s tiers looking now that FA moves have been underway? Have a TEP startup draft going on and trying to figure out who to take…
I tried making a list, but age, injuries and whether you’re contending va rebuilding shapes a lot of the list. The top 3 is a lot more cut and dry so I’ll just go with that. Assuming Bowers tests well at his pro day… [edit: he isn't going to test apparently. sad.]

LaPorta
McBride
Bowers

In no particular order. After that it gets messy. There are warts on everyone left, whether it be age, injuries, lack of athleticism, or being unproven and/or having had an up and down career.

Might be odd putting Bowers in the top tier when I mention others being unproven, but IF he tests well, his profile is just so solid. I’d rather take a chance on his profile than of the other TEs.

People might wonder why other young guys such as Kincaid or Pitts is not up there. Pitts, I mean his career has been up and down, plus the injuries. Kincaid had a low ypr and zero athletic testing so we don’t know how explosive this guy is, if at all. A TE doesn’t HAVE to be explosive (see: Zach ertz, and after all his injuries, Hock), but it does push them into that elite tier if they do have it.
It feels weird to dock Kincaid on testing when he cleared 670 yards as a rookie in 16 games and played so well in the playoffs. He also lead the Bills in receiving yards in both playoffs games averaging 52.5 yards and .5TD in those games indicating he really hit his stride too. Think he's due for a huge year.
Yeah, hey I got him on a team so I hope you’re right.

The thing that people are glossing over is being a great athlete doesn’t mean you’re automatically good, but it does mean you have a better chance at being elite than someone who isn’t. So whether Bowers would have ran a 4.5 or a 4.7 probably doesn’t matter to an nfl team, Bowers is probably good either way. But for FANTASY, we want the elite upside. It’s sort of an important thing to know. So, I totally understand why the players are skipping the combine, and from an nfl team perspective it’s not a big deal bc they mostly rely on their scouts and whatnot. But for US it does make a difference. We’re not trying to win nfl games we’re trying to win at fantasy football.

The gps tracking is nice but it’s absolutely not a replacement for a 40 yard dash. I’ve said before, the 40 yard dash, while not really happening in an nfl game, is a good measure of initial burst plus long speed. The gps data (the top mph speed, that we get, at least), only gives you the long speed. What’s odd is the same people criticizing the 40 yard dash bc it doesn’t replicate an in game situation and discount it because nobody is running 40 yards untouched in the nfl are the same people who love the gps data but the gps data doesn’t give you the initial burst measurement that is way more important than long speed. The whole conversation and debate about the combine and gps mph is such a convoluted mess.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:44 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:24 am What’s odd is the same people criticizing the 40 yard dash bc it doesn’t replicate an in game situation and discount it because nobody is running 40 yards untouched in the nfl are the same people who love the gps data but the gps data doesn’t give you the initial burst measurement that is way more important than long speed. The whole conversation and debate about the combine and gps mph is such a convoluted mess.
Big agree here. Average top speeds are nice and all, but that could be pointing to build up speed players. Have the high top end but take forever to get there.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:42 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:24 am

The gps tracking is nice but it’s absolutely not a replacement for a 40 yard dash. I’ve said before, the 40 yard dash, while not really happening in an nfl game, is a good measure of initial burst plus long speed. The gps data (the top mph speed, that we get, at least), only gives you the long speed. What’s odd is the same people criticizing the 40 yard dash bc it doesn’t replicate an in game situation and discount it because nobody is running 40 yards untouched in the nfl are the same people who love the gps data but the gps data doesn’t give you the initial burst measurement that is way more important than long speed. The whole conversation and debate about the combine and gps mph is such a convoluted mess.
What’s odd to me is people mischaracterizing a preference of using gps speed in game situations over 40 times on a track as a “love” of the statistic and implying that those people prioritize it over other traits when they have said nothing of the kind.

Jrblaha
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jrblaha » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:09 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:42 pm

What’s odd to me is people mischaracterizing a preference of using gps speed in game situations over 40 times on a track as a “love” of the statistic and implying that those people prioritize it over other traits when they have said nothing of the kind.
Probably a silly Q, but why don’t they run the 40 with pads and gear on?

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:21 pm

Jrblaha wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:09 pm

That’s a great question. Probably because it would look a little silly when they’re actually running a track event.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:40 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:21 pm

That’s a great question. Probably because it would look a little silly when they’re actually running a track event.
it probably would look pretty silly, like when manziel did his pro day wearing a helmet.

I think ppl are completely missing the point here. The 40 is not to simulate a real game. It's to test how fast a player can get from point A to point B. That's it.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:57 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:40 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:21 pm

it probably would look pretty silly, like when manziel did his pro day wearing a helmet.

I think ppl are completely missing the point here. The 40 is not to simulate a real game. It's to test how fast a player can get from point A to point B. That's it.
Agreed. Deep speed is a luxury for a NFL RB, not a necessity.