Legend
Legend

Re: 2024 Free Agency

Postby Anteaters » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:37 am

remedy29 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:19 pm
Anteaters wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:43 pm
yinzername wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:29 pm

That a lot for 6-8 games
Trading for Aaron Rodgers might just have been the most stupid thing the Jets have ever done. Too old and too done.
The Jets had better options? What were they? Rodgers got hurt last year, that sucked. He is old, but has a fantastic arm and one of the few QBs that can overcome terrible coaching. That is a necessity to playing QB for the Jets. Oh, and he is also one of the few proven Super Bowl winning QBs in the league today and not too far removed from multiple league MVPs.

Its certainly not the stupidest thing the Jets have done, specially considering drafting Zack Wilson at number 2 just a few years ago.
Yes, the Jets had better options.
1) Sign (Trade for) no big money Free Agent QB.
2) Sign Baker Mayfield
3) Trade for David Carr.
4) Minshew
5) Pursue Geno Smith
6) Instead of trading away capital for Rodgers AND expending so much salary cap on Rodgers, use those capitals for improving the team in other ways. GB used the 2nd they received on Musgrave, who could have helped NYJ. Or NYJ could have added a needed OL there.

There are 32 teams in the NFL. One had Rodgers and did not want him. No other NFL team was in serious discussions to trade for Rodgers, meaning no one else wanted him at anything close to his trade price (and salary price) except for NYJets.

It was a stupid move. Opening the vault for a 40 year old QB (not named Brady) has proven to be a stupid mistake about 99% of the time in the NFL.

If Rodgers puts up an MVP season in 2024 and leads the Jets to the SB, I'll take my insults. I have zero percent belief that will happen.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:47 am

Anteaters wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:37 am

Trading for Aaron Rodgers might just have been the most stupid thing the Jets have ever done. Too old and too done.
The Jets had better options? What were they? Rodgers got hurt last year, that sucked. He is old, but has a fantastic arm and one of the few QBs that can overcome terrible coaching. That is a necessity to playing QB for the Jets. Oh, and he is also one of the few proven Super Bowl winning QBs in the league today and not too far removed from multiple league MVPs.

Its certainly not the stupidest thing the Jets have done, specially considering drafting Zack Wilson at number 2 just a few years ago.
2) Sign Baker Mayfield
3) Trade for David Carr.
4) Minshew
5) Pursue Geno Smith
6) Instead of trading away capital for Rodgers AND expending so much salary cap on Rodgers, use those capitals for improving the team in other ways. GB used the 2nd they received on Musgrave, who could have helped NYJ. Or NYJ could have added a needed OL there.

There are 32 teams in the NFL. One had Rodgers and did not want him. No other NFL team was in serious discussions to trade for Rodgers, meaning no one else wanted him at anything close to his trade price (and salary price) except for NYJets.

It was a stupid move. Opening the vault for a 40 year old QB (not named Brady) has proven to be a stupid mistake about 99% of the time in the NFL.

If Rodgers puts up an MVP season in 2024 and leads the Jets to the SB, I'll take my insults. I have zero percent belief that will happen.
This is definitely in line with that I was thinking too. It will really be interesting how he comes out of the gate this season. Could be a lot of rust to shake off.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:11 am

MW signing seems mostly positive for G.Wilson. Not a huge threat for target share. Could have been worse for sure.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:55 am

2) Sign Baker Mayfield
3) Trade for David Carr.
4) Minshew
5) Pursue Geno Smith

Geez, what an awful take IMO.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:59 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:55 am

2) Sign Baker Mayfield
3) Trade for David Carr.
4) Minshew
5) Pursue Geno Smith

Geez, what an awful take.
Fixed for you.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:20 am

CGW wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:59 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:55 am Geez, what an awful take.
Fixed for you.
Yeahhhh... advocating for punting on QB and drafting a TE instead is pretty bad...

Likewise advocating for QB's like Baker Mayfield and Geno Smith over Aaron Rodgers - as if they've ever displayed the ability to elevate players around them to the level required to win big-time playoff games.

This Jets team has a loaded roster on both sides of the ball. They picked the highest ceiling QB they could find to try and trigger the offense. Love it or hate it, that's at least swinging for the fences. It's a competitive move for a team that has been anything but.

If you're going to hold a freak injury against him as some sort of moratorium on his actual level of talent, then that's pretty grim toilet-paper level analysis. Feel free to let us know when Baker or Geno look liable of winning back-to-back MVP's in their late 30's, or progressing anywhere near the later rounds of the playoffs, though...

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:24 am

mild wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:20 amYeahhhh... advocating for punting on QB and drafting a TE instead is pretty bad...

Likewise advocating for QB's like Baker Mayfield and Geno Smith over Aaron Rodgers - as if they've ever displayed the ability to elevate players around them to the level required to win big-time playoff games.

This Jets team has a loaded roster on both sides of the ball. They picked the highest ceiling QB they could find to try and trigger the offense. Love it or hate it, that's at least swinging for the fences. It's a competitive move for a team that has been anything but.

If you're going to hold a freak injury against him as some sort of moratorium on his actual level of talent, then that's pretty grim toilet-paper level analysis. Feel free to let us know when Baker or Geno look liable of winning back-to-back MVP's in their late 30's, though...
For the record, I'm not holding a freak injury against him. Mostly it was his age, combined with his salary, combined with the cost of the trade. The math for all that didn't add up to "smart move". With "Absolute Terrible Move" on one side, even not-great moves look good in comparison.

I would have never going into the 2023 season predicting "Achilles injury 4 minutes into the season." Now if you want to say it might have been easy to predict a 40 year old QB playing behind a terrible OL would at some point be injured and missed time, I won't disagree with that.

For the record, this isn't Monday Morning Quarterbacking. Immediately after it was announced, I said this was a terrible move and the Jets would regret it. People act like the Jets traded for vintage Rodgers and not a 40year old guy who just had a season with 26TD/12INT averaging 217ypg, who was clearly on the downslide. The Jets' braintrust was asleep at the wheel and too desperate.
TEAM 1:
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:53 am

Anteaters wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:24 am The Jets' ownership was too desperate and too old.
Fixed this for you.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:57 am

Lumps wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:53 am
Anteaters wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:24 am
Fixed this for you.
There. All better now.

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:16 am

Take it easy on Ant everyone. He’s pretty much anti-Jets anything. Heck, last offseason was advocating they didn’t believe in Breece Hall because they signed Dalvin Cook. Lol
Anteaters wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:23 am A lot for me.

Adding Cook is not all about the team adding a talent at RB. IMO it's about acknowledging your current RBs are not good enough to help you win.

TB didn't go add a star name when they had Lenny and their SB window was open. Neither did Cincy two years ago or Philly last year. If Philly and Cincy felt comfortable rolling with Mixon and Sanders, it says a lot to me that NY feels it needs to add to Breece. It says the current regime doesn't see Breece as a top quality RB.

I try to listen when teams talk in smoke signals.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am

frerichs5 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:16 amTake it easy on Ant everyone. He’s pretty much anti-Jets anything.
Hey! I like Garret Wilson. I liked the decision to hire Saleh. They have a very good defense. I love visiting New York city. I like a lot about the Jets.

Admittedly, I'm a Dolphins fan and I kind of love when the Jets make stupid mistakes like paying the farm to acquire a QB beyond his expiration date. But I don't hate the Jets the way I hate the Patriots. I pity the Jets more than I dislike them. They've been too easy to beat for the last 7-8 years for me to have any animosity against them.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:43 am

Anteaters wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am
frerichs5 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:16 amTake it easy on Ant everyone. He’s pretty much anti-Jets anything.
Hey! I like Garret Wilson. I liked the decision to hire Saleh. They have a very good defense. I love visiting New York city. I like a lot about the Jets.

Admittedly, I'm a Dolphins fan and I kind of love when the Jets make stupid mistakes like paying the farm to acquire a QB beyond his expiration date. But I don't hate the Jets the way I hate the Patriots. I pity the Jets more than I dislike them. They've been too easy to beat for the last 7-8 years for me to have any animosity against them.
Ahhh, Dolphins fan. You may be the one I remember saying Tua was a top 5 QB when healthy during the first couple weeks of the season. It all makes sense now. :lol:

I suppose we all have our biases! Fair enough!

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:50 am

frerichs5 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:43 am
Anteaters wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am

Ahhh, Dolphins fan. You may be the one I remember saying Tua was a top 5 QB when healthy during the first couple weeks of the season. It all makes sense now. :lol:

I suppose we all have our biases! Fair enough!
Is Tua the best QB in Florida?

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:06 am

Valhalla wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:50 amIs Tua the best QB in Florida?
I remember this "best" sort of talk swirling around Tua in fantasy circles since MM became head coach. Fantasy managers saying fill-in-the-blank is a "better" QB than Tua. Even when stats (what matters in fantasy football) show Tua is the better (or at least not worse) option, people keep talking about their "feeling" of guys better suited to be a QB.

Just to rewind. Since MM became head coach...
2023 Tua was QB9, Baker QB10, TLaw QB13
2022 Tua was QB7 (ppg for games finished).

No, neither was quite as high as QB5, but it's not like I was ten spots off or anything.

Meanwhile, Herbert slides to QB17 in 2023 and everyone says, "no problem, I 'feel' JH is a good qb and I'm not going to let this ruin what I feel."
Meanwhile, TLaw has never finished in the T10QB for PPG, but everyone "feels" he's a much better fantasy QB than Tua.
Wherever Tua finishes, the naysayers shout "he's no Mahomes, no Allen, no Hurts!!!" Ok with me, 'cause those guys cost a fortune and there are only three of them.

It's not like I dislike Herbert or TLaw. They are good options. But comparing cost-to-acquire and their fantasy production year-to-year, it's clear which is the best value of the three. Best of the four, including Burrow. Not just best value, but arguably best (of the four) fantasy option.

So yeah, I'll continue to be very happy with my Tua shares that I got for a lot less than what it cost(s) to get TLaw and Herbert.
Last edited by Anteaters on Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:20 am

Anteaters wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:24 am For the record, this isn't Monday Morning Quarterbacking. Immediately after it was announced, I said this was a terrible move and the Jets would regret it. People act like the Jets traded for vintage Rodgers and not a 40year old guy who just had a season with 26TD/12INT averaging 217ypg, who was clearly on the downslide. The Jets' braintrust was asleep at the wheel and too desperate.
While you're not wrong about the numbers, and I certainly don't want to argue whether the Jets should/shouldn't have made the deal to get Rodgers. I do want to bring up that anyone who watched him play in 2022 could see he was basically phoning it in. He looked disinterested, was angry at the team for, in his estimation, not doing enough (or the correct) things to maximize the Packers' chances of getting back to the Super Bowl. Disgusted looks after dropped passes, angry at WR's for running incorrect routes, bad body language, it was all there and readily apparent. Not saying that's a good look, or defending the behavior, but it wan't Rodgers' best effort.

I'm sure some of us have probably engaged in similar behavior when we're feeling like a change is necessary in our career path, It's just that tens of millions of people aren't watching us do it. "Did you see Shoreline bobble that spreadsheet?! WTF!!'. "Aw man, that quarterly earnings report was clearly late and showed a flagrant disregard for the numbers!!".

Rodgers seemed energized and genuinely excited to be with the Jets, and it's a shame we didn't get to see how things would have worked out in 2023. Given the state of the AFC and the talent on their roster, I'm not convinced they wouldn't have made a run into the playoffs.

Granted, he's a year older, and maybe he has lost it. But I do hope we get to see what the team is capable of this year when lead by the guy they wanted as their starting QB. We just watched Joe Flacco come back from the dead to lead the Browns into the playoffs, so I'm not quite ready to write Rodgers off yet.
Last edited by Shoreline Steamers on Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku