Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: 2024 Combine

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:59 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:51 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:56 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:55 am

I hope you guys are correct and someone falls in love with his 40. His blocking was responsible for an awful lot of his success. I didn’t see him creating much at all for himself and he goes down pretty readily on contact. On top of that he doesn’t add much as a receiver, which usually is something smallish backs like him need to have in their toolbox. Ball security is also a question. He’s fast but there’s not much elusiveness in his game.

That deep speed is eye opening for sure, but there’s way more to playing RB in the NFL than that. Someone else is likely to draft him before I’d burn a pick on him.
31% missed tackle rate. 4.4 yards after contact. Pretty solid for being non elusive and going down easily. I don't see a featured back, but could be a game breaker in any scheme and doesn't need a ton of usage to do it. In a class lacking like this at RB, I'd be fine swinging for the fences with that level of speed, explosion, and athleticism.
If you watch film on him and you don’t see a guy who goes down pretty easily I don’t know what to tell you. I do know his O linemen were regularly getting well downfield blocking and his receivers were dedicated to it as well. I don’t consider someone throwing an arm out and then getting pulverized by a rampaging OT as a missed tackle or 3-4 OLs getting behind him after he’s wrapped up and pushing the pile another 6 yards before the pile collapses. Those were regular occurrences for him. But if you watch film and see a rugged runner, then absolutely jump up and get him on your roster.
The last game I rewatched, he was bouncing off defenders and staying on his feet. He also makes defenders miss straight up. He's not a pile pusher type of back, nor will he out muscle players, but he also isn't going down at first contact either. He has slipperiness to his game, which is exactly what he needs to make his style work.

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:00 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:28 am Caleb Williams isn't throwing at the combine. Harrison isn't testing and supposedly won't do a pro day either
Not only no testing, sounds like he isn’t going at all. So won’t know a true height/weight either. Doesn’t matter to me really on him in particular, but wonder if this starts a trend in the coming years.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:03 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:28 am Caleb Williams isn't throwing at the combine. Harrison isn't testing and supposedly won't do a pro day either
I’m not sure anyone has any concerns about Williams’ cannon. All he can do is hurt himself if he starts missing receivers by a bunch or his footwork looks atrocious. He plays much better out of system than in it and takes a lot of time to process, and that’s a problem at the next level. He sure doesn’t want to put any emphasis on that.

MHJr has nothing to show after what he’s put on tape and a mediocre 40 would only be used against him, even though OSU has a notoriously fast track. If any part of an NFL team can’t see what he’s capable of by now then they may want to reconsider their occupation.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:06 am

frerichs5 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:00 am
Not only no testing, sounds like he isn’t going at all. So won’t know a true height/weight either. Doesn’t matter to me really on him in particular, but wonder if this starts a trend in the coming years.
We're definitely seeing more top name players be aware of showcasing their strengths at the combine and knowing when they have something to lose.

lic217
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lic217 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:41 am

My top four is Wright, Lloyd, Corum, Brooks in that order. This is based on what I saw on tape. Not much separates these four for me. I don’t think Corum was fully healthy last year so his tape isn’t as good as the year before.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:26 am

lic217 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:41 am My top four is Wright, Lloyd, Corum, Brooks in that order. This is based on what I saw on tape. Not much separates these four for me. I don’t think Corum was fully healthy last year so his tape isn’t as good as the year before.
Just out of curiosity, Lloyd looks way more advanced as a runner and more versatile as a receiver than Wright. Why do you prefer Wright over him?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:06 pm

Nabers is not doing testing either.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:36 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:06 pm Nabers is not doing testing either.
Apparently Odunze is going to do all drills though, so at least that's fun.

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:36 pm

KingsKing wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:19 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:46 pm

I said it a while back, but Jaylen Wright is going to be one of the biggest post-combine
That’s what I’m afraid of , I bet if I drafted today I can get him in the 3rd round in most drafts , I wouldn’t be shocked to see him at the back end of round 1 if he does what I think he can do . I’d rather he was just average at the combine so I can snatch him later everywhere .
On top of that he doesn’t add much as a receiver, which usually is something smallish backs like him need to have in their toolbox.
6’0 and 210 pounds isn’t smallish at all .

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:34 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:03 am
I’m not sure anyone has any concerns about Williams’ cannon. All he can do is hurt himself if he starts missing receivers by a bunch or his footwork looks atrocious. He plays much better out of system than in it and takes a lot of time to process, and that’s a problem at the next level. He sure doesn’t want to put any emphasis on that
Man you have better be right......
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

lic217
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lic217 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:53 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:26 am
lic217 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:41 am My top four is Wright, Lloyd, Corum, Brooks in that order. This is based on what I saw on tape. Not much separates these four for me. I don’t think Corum was fully healthy last year so his tape isn’t as good as the year before.
Just out of curiosity, Lloyd looks way more advanced as a runner and more versatile as a receiver than Wright. Why do you prefer Wright over him?
Looks like he has superior athleticism and explosion. His tape was the most impressive to me.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:01 pm

KingsKing wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:36 pm
KingsKing wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:19 pm

That’s what I’m afraid of , I bet if I drafted today I can get him in the 3rd round in most drafts , I wouldn’t be shocked to see him at the back end of round 1 if he does what I think he can do . I’d rather he was just average at the combine so I can snatch him later everywhere .
On top of that he doesn’t add much as a receiver, which usually is something smallish backs like him need to have in their toolbox.
6’0 and 210 pounds isn’t smallish at all .
Yeah I’m not sure Billy has done the research on Wright. On top of the smallish comment I disagree with the receiving chops comment. Penalizing him for not being much of a receiver when that offense doesn’t throw to the RBs doesn’t work. This isn’t a Ronald Jones situation. Heupel’s first 2 seasons at UT the entire RB room caught less than 20 total passes each season. They just don’t have their RB’s go out and run routes. They will catch some screens or be a safety valve but that’s really it.

Wright reminds me of Raheem Moestert with a little more physicality.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:35 pm

As a person who loves grinding the testing numbers, players not testing is really starting to bum me out. First it was the agility drills, now they’re just skipping everything entirely. I get why they’re doing it, but I’m highly annoyed for selfish reasons.

I have watched zero MHJ film yet. But without testing numbers, might be hard to differentiate between Julio Jones or Mike Williams outcome. And I say that because I remember being floored with how good Mike Williams looked on film to only be disappointed by his testing numbers.

Ppl bring up game speed mph but top speed is a lot different than the initial burst required with a 40 yard dash. Didn’t Najee hit 22mph or something ridiculous and we all know he’s a plodder.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:16 pm

While the combine is great, how many of those numbers really impact the draft and even matter to us in fantasy? There is the "eye test" too. My understanding of the combine is that it typically confirms held beliefs, and sometimes might send you back to the tape. Maybe some of the measurables matter (being a 5'10" QB vs a 6'2") but I'm not sure how much of the combine really matters. It does help ME with my "eye test" since I don't watch a ton of college ball. One drill I like is the WR cross field catch test (forget what it's called) where the have to run across the width of the field catching left, then right, then left, etc. You get to see who catches with their hands (good) and who catches with their body/chest (bad). Are there any drills/stats that matter to you all? RAS for TE, I guess.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:44 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:35 pm As a person who loves grinding the testing numbers, players not testing is really starting to bum me out. First it was the agility drills, now they’re just skipping everything entirely. I get why they’re doing it, but I’m highly annoyed for selfish reasons.

I have watched zero MHJ film yet. But without testing numbers, might be hard to differentiate between Julio Jones or Mike Williams outcome. And I say that because I remember being floored with how good Mike Williams looked on film to only be disappointed by his testing numbers.

Ppl bring up game speed mph but top speed is a lot different than the initial burst required with a 40 yard dash. Didn’t Najee hit 22mph or something ridiculous and we all know he’s a plodder.
Mike Williams DID look amazing in college. I'm also quite bummed guys are skipping.
Marvin looks incredible, and has the production to back it. So did guys like Mike and Braylon and Warrick and White and Rogers and Blackmon and Watkins (I mean c'mon) and Reggie and Williamson :doh: and JSN 8-) :lol:
But yes, I want Marvin Harrison on my team. Of course I do! I just wish he gave us some more data!