Diontae Johnson or Jameson Williams

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Diontae Johnson or Jameson Williams (win now mentality)

The analysis you posted in the OP is stupid, keep Diontae!
78%
That analysis in spot on, offer DJ to get Jameson ASAP!
22%

Total votes: 23

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Diontae Johnson or Jameson Williams

Postby BigBawseRoss » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:22 am

frerichs5 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:13 am I don’t see the appeal for Jameson. Even if he becomes a good NFL WR (which I’m not convinced, maybe he will maybe he won’t). What is his fantasy upside? ARSB will always be the target monster. LaPorta has established himself. I don’t see Jameson being more than 2-3 in the pecking order. And that’s ignoring Gibbs. I guess with his potential usage, IF he becomes good, he will certainly have some boom weeks…but on a year-to-year basis it is hard to see him as more than a WR3 personally. And that’s assuming everything goes right for him.

Give me Diontae.
same reason people like dionte even though pickens is the man and they have najee and friermuth.

same reason people like jsn even though they have dk lockett and kw3

teams got multiple weapons all across the league, this stance that he cant eat in a league where teams pass 30+ times a week is lunacy. Detroit is 6th in the league in pass attempts per game (pittsburgh is 26th). soon as he has a 2td game you will be like oh ya thats the appeal lol
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:39 am

BigBawseRoss wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:22 am
frerichs5 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:13 am I don’t see the appeal for Jameson. Even if he becomes a good NFL WR (which I’m not convinced, maybe he will maybe he won’t). What is his fantasy upside? ARSB will always be the target monster. LaPorta has established himself. I don’t see Jameson being more than 2-3 in the pecking order. And that’s ignoring Gibbs. I guess with his potential usage, IF he becomes good, he will certainly have some boom weeks…but on a year-to-year basis it is hard to see him as more than a WR3 personally. And that’s assuming everything goes right for him.

Give me Diontae.
same reason people like dionte even though pickens is the man and they have najee and friermuth.

teams got multiple weapons all across the league, this stance that he cant eat in a league where teams pass 30+ times a week is lunacy. Detroit is 6th in the league in pass attempts per game (pittsburgh is 26th). soon as he has a 2td game you will be like oh ya thats the appeal lol
idk...1 of these things is not like the others
(Najee moves like an offensive lineman and has 12 targets on the year)

Even if Pickens has arrived and is proving me wrong to some degree, Diontae earns targets at a high rate (140+ for 3 straight seasons), I wouldn't be so quick to write him off or label him as a dying asset, especially considering he's efficiently priced

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:56 am

Give me Diontae.

Fair opinion. I just don’t agree. lol. I already acknowledged he would have boom weeks IF he actually becomes good. There’s a long list of random players to score 2TDs in a game (or does Brandon Johnson have appeal too?).

Won’t change my opinion unless he becomes a consistent WR. And if he can’t out snap Josh Reynolds and Kalif Raymond, he has a ways to go in my opinion.

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:35 am

frerichs5 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:56 am

Give me Diontae.

Fair opinion. I just don’t agree. lol. I already acknowledged he would have boom weeks IF he actually becomes good. There’s a long list of random players to score 2TDs in a game (or does Brandon Johnson have appeal too?).

Won’t change my opinion unless he becomes a consistent WR. And if he can’t out snap Josh Reynolds and Kalif Raymond, he has a ways to go in my opinion.
but dionte hasnt scored a td in a season and a half. what are we seeing there that makes him someone you wanna start, are excited about, or see as a valuable trade piece? theres 2 sides to this. and a single 2 td game is all it will take for jamo value to be high as ever, not a case with the brandon johnsons or seyi ajirotutus of the world

think it would take about 3 monster games in a row for dionte appeal to go back up.
team 1
Dak , Herbert
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks

team 2
12 team .5ppr
Fields, Dak
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:48 am

BigBawseRoss wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:35 am
frerichs5 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:56 am

but dionte hasnt scored a td in a season and a half. what are we seeing there that makes him someone you wanna start, are excited about, or see as a valuable trade piece? theres 2 sides to this. and a single 2 td game is all it will take for jamo value to be high as ever, not a case with the brandon johnsons or seyi ajirotutus of the world

think it would take about 3 monster games in a row for dionte appeal to go back up.
I never claimed I thought Diontae was any of those things. Just that I prefer him to Jameson.

Maybe you don’t care, but I don’t mind having a steady option in my lineup each week. He commands targets.

Jameson has gone without a catch at all in 6 of 9 career games. Never even played 50% of snaps in a game. Say what you want about injury, suspension, etc. The only facts anyone can point to is that he has yet to beat out Reynolds/Raymond. I don’t want him in my lineup right now, and I’m not convinced he’s good enough I ever will. That’s all there is to it really.

BellCow
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby BellCow » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:58 am

Jameson is the type of player I'd either buy very low now or buy high later if they perform in a volume role

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:10 am

BellCow wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:58 am Jameson is the type of player I'd either buy very low now or buy high later if they perform in a volume role
Agree with this, I'll pay the tax once I know he's good. Even at that point (IF that happens), he's probably demonstrated enough red flags for his price to still be reasonable

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:20 pm

Give me Diontae.
Exactly.

Honestly, Diontae has a higher ceiling than Jamo. The man's main issue has been inefficiency due to poor QB play. He's been a target magnet for 3 straight years amassing at least 140+ targets despite missing multiple games.

Those past 3 seasons? between 1.58 and 1.95 YPRR with 10 YPR
This season he's averaging 2.76 YPRR at 15.9 YPR

While maintaining a massive target rate.

Sure, that's on a low sample size but we're talking about upside here. If he can maintain that level of efficiency while maintaining the volume he's commanded since year 2 his upside is very underrated atm.

MarkRingo
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby MarkRingo » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:04 pm

Hi,
I'm the one (Mark Ringo) who wrote that opinion. I just saw this. The cliff notes version, in a vacuum, is.... the folks that said Diontae would do better ended up being right. Diontae outscored Jameson from the time the article was posted. Here is some background info and what I was thinking.

This was the question we were asked:
Who is your favorite buy-low trade candidate at this point in the season and why? Also, who are you willing to give up for him? (They ask us to limit our responses to 4-5 sentences. Also, the scoring is assumed to be Half-Point PPR.)

First off, this was a Buy-Low Trade opinion question. I try to pick guys who are valued the lowest who I like. And then I try to list the highest rated WRs guys I'd deal for them, in this case Diontae for Jameson, so it's a realistic possibility. I never want to suggest an unrealistic offer, For ex. I'd trade my kicker for Jameson. That's pointless. If you can get him for cheaper, by all means do it.

Second, Detroit had a better offense, they score more TDs, had an easier schedule imo, better QB in Goff (Pickett did not throw many TDs his rookie year), Detroit plays half their games in a climate-controlled dome with perfect passing conditions, unlike Pittsburgh. I also feared Pickens, Freiermuth, and Allen Robinson could take valuable red zone targets, the few that they get, away from Diontae. I had Pickens as the Steelers' defacto go-to-WR, not Diontae.

Third, I threw out Jameson's rookie year since he was coming off a torn ACL he hurt in the College Football National Championship Game. The Lions intentionally used him sparingly then, plus he wasn't 100% until this year. This was essentially Jameson's real rookie year imo.

Fourth, Jameson is a better prospect imo than Diontae. Jameson lit up the SEC including Georgia twice, who had one of the best defenses in college football history. The competition he faced was tougher than Diontae who played at Toledo. Jameson is bigger and faster than Diontae. Full Disclosure- I just like him better. I like him better than most if not all analysts though. Time will tell.

Fifth, a lot depends on your league. If you are in a bigger league (for ex. 14, 16 teams or one that has larger starting lineups with a barren waiver wire), then it might be better to go for a steady Eddie WR rather than a riskier boom or bust WR which is what Jameson is now. However, if there are options on the waiver wire, then going for a home run with upside is more my style because if it hits, it's a game changer.

Anyway, that's what I was thinking. At the end of the day, it's your team. You should draft or trade for guys you believe in. I thought they'd use Jameson more. I still believe in him. We saw what he can do when given the chance vs the 49'ers in the NFC Championship Game. He just needs more chances. Will he get them? I think so. Detroit traded up to take him in the first round. But, that's the million-dollar question.

Side note- apologies for my typos in my original opinion. I care for my elderly mom and many times I write in the wee hours of the morning when she's sleeping. She watches tv during the day, so that's the only time I can do it.

-Mark

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:27 am

MarkRingo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:04 pm Hi,
I'm the one (Mark Ringo) who wrote that opinion. I just saw this. The cliff notes version, in a vacuum, is.... the folks that said Diontae would do better ended up being right. Diontae outscored Jameson from the time the article was posted. Here is some background info and what I was thinking.
Side note- apologies for my typos in my original opinion. I care for my elderly mom and many times I write in the wee hours of the morning when she's sleeping. She watches tv during the day, so that's the only time I can do it.

-Mark
Hi Mark,
Welcome aboard.

While I respect your opinion, I disagree with almost all of it. :lol: However, I must admit I'm one of the biggest disbelievers in Jamo in all of fantasy.

Like you said, everyone should run their team according to their preferences. Hey, it's not as if I win championships with all my teams every year. I might be wrong about Jamo. If I am, no regrets cause I simply see a fundamentally flawed professional football player.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:27 am

I have both of these guys on a roster. I'll sell you both.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:56 pm

MarkRingo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:04 pm

Fourth, Jameson is a better prospect imo than Diontae. Jameson lit up the SEC including Georgia twice, who had one of the best defenses in college football history. The competition he faced was tougher than Diontae who played at Toledo. Jameson is bigger and faster than Diontae. Full Disclosure- I just like him better. I like him better than most if not all analysts though. Time will tell.
If how they entered the league as prospects is still a factor going into year 3 of their professional careers -- that's not a good sign.

Diontae has vastly exceeded his draft capital at this point. It is completely irrelevant how high or low people were on him coming into the NFL. Same for Jamo at this point.

Diontae is at worst a flex play and has already given you a WR1 season. Jamo is 2 years in and has not been startable at any point in his career.

Sure, Jamo is bigger and faster but he'll never have Diontae's change of direction which is what has allowed him to be an elite route runner despite his other physical limitations.

You've got to expand your concept of what physical talent is for a WR. The best ones are rarely the fastest in a straight line and the vast majority of them are fantastic route runners.

If any of these guys become an elite asset my money is on Diontae who also has a considerably higher floor.

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:13 pm

Sriracha wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:56 pm
MarkRingo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:04 pm

If how they entered the league as prospects is still a factor going into year 3 of their professional careers -- that's not a good sign.

Diontae has vastly exceeded his draft capital at this point. It is completely irrelevant how high or low people were on him coming into the NFL. Same for Jamo at this point.

Diontae is at worst a flex play and has already given you a WR1 season. Jamo is 2 years in and has not been startable at any point in his career.

Sure, Jamo is bigger and faster but he'll never have Diontae's change of direction which is what has allowed him to be an elite route runner despite his other physical limitations.

You've got to expand your concept of what physical talent is for a WR. The best ones are rarely the fastest in a straight line and the vast majority of them are fantastic route runners.

If any of these guys become an elite asset my money is on Diontae who also has a considerably higher floor.
he has a single 1k season and got 60 less targets last year than he did in 2022, i dont understand the thought process of dionte having a higher chance of being an elite asset. one of the two is growing and getting more opportunity and the other is declining and getting less opportunity... i literally cant think of a path where dionte gets out of marginal flex play range again
team 1
Dak , Herbert
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks

team 2
12 team .5ppr
Fields, Dak
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:05 pm

BigBawseRoss wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:13 pm
he has a single 1k season and got 60 less targets last year than he did in 2022, i dont understand the thought process of dionte having a higher chance of being an elite asset. one of the two is growing and getting more opportunity and the other is declining and getting less opportunity... i literally cant think of a path where dionte gets out of marginal flex play range again
He played through a hamstring injury for most of the year.

Literally all he would need is better QB play. Upgrading from Kenny Pickett, Mitch Trubisky and Mason Rudolph could easily happen even in FA.

As for Jamo being an ascending asset.. well when you start on the floor the only way to go is up. Hardly a ringing endorsement for his career trajectory.

MarkRingo
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby MarkRingo » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:01 pm

Hi Anteater. No worries on respectfully disagreeing with me. I've been wrong plenty of times. You win some calls, you lose some calls. That's fantasy football.

Hi Sriracha, the article I contributed to was a Buy-Low opinion article for redraft leagues for this past season. At least his value was low. Not every analyst's buy low player calls are actually valued low imo. I was just stating my opinion and why I thought that. I respectfully disagree that Diontae is a better player. Jameson's rookie year he injured his ACL in January during the National Championship Game. It takes many athletes two years to feel close to 100% to recover from that major injury. The Lions got him a few snaps just to get out there a little bit at the end of the year. I totally disagree with folks who use his low snap counts as a reason for calling him a bust. This past season, he was suspended a few games due to sports betting. He seems like a good kid who made a mistake. He has impressed coaches and teammates with his work ethic in practice, putting in extra time, as the season progressed. The kid is putting in the work and not out partying all night. That could pay dividends in the future. Not to say that Diontae doesn't work hard. I just like Jameson better. I disagree that performance in college is irrelevant for young players. Jameson did it in the SEC- the toughest conference in the country most years.

The go-to-guy WR in Pittsburgh is not Diontae. It's George Pickens imo. And they also have Pat Freiermuth who is a very good receiving TE. I agree the Steelers need an upgrade at QB, and they might get one this upcoming year. Unfortunately, their new offensive coordinator is Arthur Smith. Smith, at least in the past, likes to focus on running the ball more than passing it. And that could hurt everyone's fantasy stats, including Pickens. Diontae finished as WR 43 in Half Point PPR. He's not at worst a flex play. He is a flex play, especially with Kenny Pickett at QB, like he was when I contributed to the article. Diontae missed a few games, but so did some other WRs who finished above him like Tank Dell. So I don't see the upside there, but that's me.

Anyway, that's what makes fantasy football fun. Everyone has different opinions. And I've been wrong plenty of times. We'll see what happens. And like I said, Diontae outperformed Jameson when I contributed to the article, so I'll take the L.