All Things Bears

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: All Things Bears

Postby mild » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:40 pm

Sriracha wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:22 pm The defense is legit but this "Fields has improved in the second half" narrative is purely based on Wins and losses.

Fields last 7 games: 5TDs, 3INTs 1200 yards, negative EPA on passing plays with 5 of those games vs teams with losing records.

I will be incredibly surprised if he's the bears QB going into next year.
Nailed it. Glad to see some sense in this thread.

FWIW early rumblings from League Sources on compensation have Fields at a 2nd or 3rd.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:15 pm

It all comes down to whether the Bears (and when I say that I mean Warren, Poles, Flus, etc) think adding Harrison/Latu/C will make a significant improvement and help Fields level up one last time, or that he's as good as he's going to get. I don't want to see him missing open Harrison, having Latu hold rushers for five seconds, but Fields holding his pass for seven, then throwing an INT or getting sacked. I'm really torn on Williams/Maye. But Williams has been getting love FOREVER so he seems like the smart choice. Williams/Nabers or Williams/Odunze plus an upgrade at Center could be really good. And this doesn't take into account ANY off-season moves/trades. If we DO take Williams that means we're moving Fields. Is that 1st, 2nd, and/or 3rd (or combination of picks) going to help build around Williams as well? Bowers? DE? Do we move Fields to ATL and get back London/Pitts/Bijan? IDK.

The ONLY thing I know is that I want Harrison on this team no matter what.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON (R), Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK (R), CORLEY (R), COWING (R), Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON (R), Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER (R) RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME (R) WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING (R), MWASHINGTON (R) TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS (R), Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE (R), Goff, Cousins, PENIX (R), Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: HARRISON (R), DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS (R), Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, DPJ, Devante TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:21 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:15 pm The ONLY thing I know is that I want Harrison on this team no matter what.
Even if it means bypassing a 'Generational' QB prospect?

Even if it means MHJ has to catch passes from Fields?

Even if it means MHJ gets frustrated and is out of town by year 4?

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:29 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:15 pm It all comes down to whether the Bears (and when I say that I mean Warren, Poles, Flus, etc) think adding Harrison/Latu/C will make a significant improvement and help Fields level up one last time, or that he's as good as he's going to get. I don't want to see him missing open Harrison, having Latu hold rushers for five seconds, but Fields holding his pass for seven, then throwing an INT or getting sacked. I'm really torn on Williams/Maye. But Williams has been getting love FOREVER so he seems like the smart choice. Williams/Nabers or Williams/Odunze plus an upgrade at Center could be really good. And this doesn't take into account ANY off-season moves/trades. If we DO take Williams that means we're moving Fields. Is that 1st, 2nd, and/or 3rd (or combination of picks) going to help build around Williams as well? Bowers? DE? Do we move Fields to ATL and get back London/Pitts/Bijan? IDK.

I went through these same concerns with Marcus Mariota during his time in TEN.

The transition from Fields the playmaker to Fields the game manager is already on its way. That's the beginning of the end for every starting QB outside of Alex Smith -- who was a never a guy you were happy with despite all of the wins he accumulated.

It's time to move on. The idea that Darnell Mooney is bad enough that you need to draft a generational WR to be your WR2 behind DJ Moore just to start gaining positive EPA on pass plays is absolutely laughable.

Kurtrambis1
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Kurtrambis1 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:31 pm

Sriracha wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:22 pm The defense is legit but this "Fields has improved in the second half" narrative is purely based on Wins and losses.

Fields last 7 games: 5TDs, 3INTs 1200 yards, negative EPA on passing plays with 5 of those games vs teams with losing records.

Add in 400 yards rushing, 3 TD's, and remember two of the 3 interceptions were Hail Mary's. One of which was dropped by Mooney for the game-winning TD. The Bears are winning because he isn't turning the ball over. His play is directly influencing the wins.

But is it enough to overcome his career record or his early season struggles. No idea. I don't think passing up on Caleb Williams, if he's generational, is a good idea. Is Caleb Williams generational though?
12 Team PPR League, 25 Man Rosters, 2 Taxi Squad
Start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, FLEX

QB- Murray, Lawrence, Mayfield
RB- Montgomery, Javonte Williams, Najee Harris, Jamaal Williams, Carter, Joshua Kelly, Trayveon Williams, Eli Mitchell
WR- J. Jefferson, Tyreek, D. Smith, Tank Dell, Curtis Samuel, Hollywood Brown, Renfrow, Rashee Rice
TE- Pitts, Ferguson, Higbee

Taxi-Kraft

Picks
24=1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
25= 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:37 pm

Kurtrambis1 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:31 pm

Add in 400 yards rushing, 3 TD's, and remember two of the 3 interceptions were Hail Mary's. One of which was dropped by Mooney for the game-winning TD. The Bears are winning because he isn't turning the ball over. His play is directly influencing the wins.

But is it enough to overcome his career record or his early season struggles. No idea. I don't think passing up on Caleb Williams, if he's generational, is a good idea. Is Caleb Williams generational though?
Negative EPA on pass plays.

With DJ Moore, Cole Kmet, Darnell Mooney as your top 3 weapons.

They are most definitely not winning because of Fields but because they've faced a gauntlet of terrible QBs and their defense is playing lights out.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:50 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:21 pm
wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:15 pm The ONLY thing I know is that I want Harrison on this team no matter what.
Even if it means bypassing a 'Generational' QB prospect?

Even if it means MHJ has to catch passes from Fields?

Even if it means MHJ gets frustrated and is out of town by year 4?
No. LOL I meant I want him whether we take Williams or Maye or keep Fields. Year four I can't control.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON (R), Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK (R), CORLEY (R), COWING (R), Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON (R), Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER (R) RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME (R) WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING (R), MWASHINGTON (R) TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS (R), Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE (R), Goff, Cousins, PENIX (R), Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: HARRISON (R), DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS (R), Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, DPJ, Devante TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:50 pm

Sriracha wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:29 pm
wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:15 pm It all comes down to whether the Bears (and when I say that I mean Warren, Poles, Flus, etc) think adding Harrison/Latu/C will make a significant improvement and help Fields level up one last time, or that he's as good as he's going to get. I don't want to see him missing open Harrison, having Latu hold rushers for five seconds, but Fields holding his pass for seven, then throwing an INT or getting sacked. I'm really torn on Williams/Maye. But Williams has been getting love FOREVER so he seems like the smart choice. Williams/Nabers or Williams/Odunze plus an upgrade at Center could be really good. And this doesn't take into account ANY off-season moves/trades. If we DO take Williams that means we're moving Fields. Is that 1st, 2nd, and/or 3rd (or combination of picks) going to help build around Williams as well? Bowers? DE? Do we move Fields to ATL and get back London/Pitts/Bijan? IDK.

I went through these same concerns with Marcus Mariota during his time in TEN.

The transition from Fields the playmaker to Fields the game manager is already on its way. That's the beginning of the end for every starting QB outside of Alex Smith -- who was a never a guy you were happy with despite all of the wins he accumulated.

It's time to move on. The idea that Darnell Mooney is bad enough that you need to draft a generational WR to be your WR2 behind DJ Moore just to start gaining positive EPA on pass plays is absolutely laughable.
Good points.
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:53 pm

Sriracha wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:37 pm

They are most definitely not winning because of Fields but because they've faced a gauntlet of terrible QBs and their defense is playing lights out.
I bolded and underlined the line that bugs me. So, is Fields failing because his core three are mediocre? DJM is great, obviously. Do they drag him down, or should he be elevating them? His play with DJM has been electric. Will Williams do better with this same group? I assume if we do take Williams that you want to give him more weapons, too. It's complicated, right? LOL.

But if Williams really is who we think he is, Fields is done. I just don't know that for sure. I HOPE he is, if we take him.
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

Kurtrambis1
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Kurtrambis1 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:07 pm

Sriracha wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:37 pm

Is there a stat that includes rushing in it? I said he isn't turning the ball over and that is directly influencing wins. If a team offers a 1st or a 2nd round pick I think the Bears should trade Justin to reset the contract clock and aim for someone with a higher ceiling.
12 Team PPR League, 25 Man Rosters, 2 Taxi Squad
Start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, FLEX

QB- Murray, Lawrence, Mayfield
RB- Montgomery, Javonte Williams, Najee Harris, Jamaal Williams, Carter, Joshua Kelly, Trayveon Williams, Eli Mitchell
WR- J. Jefferson, Tyreek, D. Smith, Tank Dell, Curtis Samuel, Hollywood Brown, Renfrow, Rashee Rice
TE- Pitts, Ferguson, Higbee

Taxi-Kraft

Picks
24=1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
25= 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:13 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:53 pm
I bolded and underlined the line that bugs me. So, is Fields failing because his core three are mediocre? DJM is great, obviously. Do they drag him down, or should he be elevating them? His play with DJM has been electric. Will Williams do better with this same group? I assume if we do take Williams that you want to give him more weapons, too. It's complicated, right? LOL.

But if Williams really is who we think he is, Fields is done. I just don't know that for sure. I HOPE he is, if we take him.
Not complicated, at all. I'd expect Williams to succeed with these weapons. Adding in more weapons is likely given the depth of this draft class and their alotted draft capital but hardly necessary.

While I think Williams is the best prospect we've had in a while I'd expect Maye to also do well with the surrounding talent in CHI

Probably Penix, too.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:15 pm

Any of you analytical Bears fans want to sell me on Darnell Mooney being a good WR2 in the year 2023? To my simpleton eye test, the guy isn't getting open anymore. Open scores seems to back that theory up. Fields may be a problem, but whoever is the Bears QB in 2024 is going to need a better WR2, especially if it's with the same "offensive" minds at the helm.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:08 pm

CGW wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:15 pm Any of you analytical Bears fans want to sell me on Darnell Mooney being a good WR2 in the year 2023? To my simpleton eye test, the guy isn't getting open anymore. Open scores seems to back that theory up. Fields may be a problem, but whoever is the Bears QB in 2024 is going to need a better WR2, especially if it's with the same "offensive" minds at the helm.
He hasn't been the same. IDK if it's 100% him or 50/50 with Fields. I guess if we draft Williams we'll see, right? But I really think if they do take Caleb, and I think they will, they will draft ONE of Harrison, Nabers, or Odzune. And if that makes Mooney WR3, that's not a bad thing. The rest of the WRs are scrubs. Also, Bowers with Kmet? Terrible for fantasy, but great for the team.
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:23 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:08 pm
CGW wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:15 pm Any of you analytical Bears fans want to sell me on Darnell Mooney being a good WR2 in the year 2023? To my simpleton eye test, the guy isn't getting open anymore. Open scores seems to back that theory up. Fields may be a problem, but whoever is the Bears QB in 2024 is going to need a better WR2, especially if it's with the same "offensive" minds at the helm.
He hasn't been the same. IDK if it's 100% him or 50/50 with Fields. I guess if we draft Williams we'll see, right? But I really think if they do take Caleb, and I think they will, they will draft ONE of Harrison, Nabers, or Odzune. And if that makes Mooney WR3, that's not a bad thing. The rest of the WRs are scrubs. Also, Bowers with Kmet? Terrible for fantasy, but great for the team.
Hate to burst the bubble, but if you take Williams you will not be getting Harrison and probably not Nabers. You may possibly get Odunze or Coleman though.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:35 pm

CGW wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:23 pm
wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:08 pm
Hate to burst the bubble, but if you take Williams you will not be getting Harrison and probably not Nabers. You may possibly get Odunze or Coleman though.
Odunze is being mocked higher than Nabers by multiple analysts. We'll see how things shake out later in the year but I'd rather pair Odunze with DJ Moore than Nabers, anyway.

It's a huge overreaction to think that you need to invest in a top flight WR prospect just to upgrade your WR2 spot. Regardless of who the QB is DJ Moore is a true #1 and the depth in this class is pretty remarkable.