UPDATE - Help me bring one home

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

UPDATE - Help me bring one home

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:36 am

(Don't read this whole post, skip down to the bolded update)

Having my best year ever so far in this format, I'm currently 32-4 across my four dynasty leagues, 1st place in the standings in all four, (excluding the 5th one which is a free family league in which I'm doing a year-1 punt). Posting here because I really don't want to squander it and end up getting no championships out of it lol. I've come close, but haven't won the hole thing yet in dynasty.

Looking to see if there are any holes you'd patch as the trade deadlines (and playoffs) approach?

Also a general strategy question: On contending teams where you've got some depth, do you try to consolidate that depth into difference-makers if at all possible, or do you value the depth in case of disaster post trade deadline?

In an attempt to be concise, I won't list the deeper players on my rosters

Team 1| 12tm PPR SF 0.5-TEP | 9-0
Start: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Herbert, Kyler, Baker
RB: Saquon, JT, Javonte, Conner
WR: Chase, Diggs, Olave, Aiyuk, Hollywood, MT, Shaheed
TE: Engram, Woods
'24 picks: 1st, 3rd, 4th

^Holes per my evaluation, in order of concern: RB depth, TE depth, QB depth
With this team, depth across the board is the main issue, outside of WR. Consolidate here to add a RB? I also have a 1st to play with, but I'm reluctant to move it (currently 1.06). P.S. the record is a bit fraudulent here, I'm 4th in max points, though getting Kyler back should help

Team 2 | 12tm PPR SF 0.5-TEP | 7-2
Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Dak, Kyler, Baker, AOC
RB: Saquon, Jacobs, Swift, Gibbs, Mostert, Edwards, Warren
WR: Chase, Waddle, Keenan, Jakobi
TE: Njoku, Ertz, Woods
'24 picks: 3rd, 4th

^Holes per my evaluation, in order of concern: TE overall, WR depth
This team is built on RBs, which is fine for a run but probably a concern long-term. Should I look to trade one away for a WR or TE? If Njoku went down I'd be drawing dead at the position.

Team 3 | 12tm PPR SF 0.5-TEP | 8-1
QB: Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Z.Wilson
RB: Achane, Saquon, Swift, Kamara, Ford
WR: JJ, ARSB, AJB, Diontae, Nico, OBJ
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Fant, Woods
'24 picks: 4th, 4th

^Holes per my evaluation, in order of concern: Depth across the board
This is my most top-heavy team. My start/sit accuracy is in the mid-90% because who tf else am I gonna start? (lol) Anything in particular I should try to upgrade here?

UPDATE:

All 3 of these teams got a 1st round bye. Team 2 lost in RD2 (164.64 - 162.34). Made all the correct lineup decisions. But couldn't overcome the lack of WR depth as Chase/Keenan were OUT, Waddle left early, and the Raiders' passing offense ceased to exist after 1Q

Now for Team 1 and Team 3, both headed to the championship. Could use some lineup advice:

Team 1: (underdog)
QBs/TEs are locked. Assuming Chase doesn't play...choose ONE of the following to SIT:

Saquon vs. LAR
Javonte vs. LAC
Diontae vs. SEA
Conner vs. PHI

Team 3: (favorite)
Pick 2 to START @ Flex:

- Swift vs. ARZ
- Nico vs. TEN (both Nico and Stroud questionable but seem likely to play)
- Achane vs. BAL
- Ford vs. NYJ
- Diontae vs. SEA
- Goedert vs. ARZ (0.5-TEP) - could also start him @ TE, but planning to ride the hot-hand of Njoku
Last edited by Prison_Mike on Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Any holes to patch? (pls help me actually win one)

Postby Gator Sens » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:02 am

Congrats on the great start throughout your leagues!

Team 1 - I think this team is in pretty good shape overall. Aiyuk gives you a really solid WR3 or flex play weekly with Olave as well. You need Taylor and Barkley to step up a bit to help push for a title but on paper, you are in good shape and I would not force any moves.

Team 2 - Really solid team and getting Murray back in time for the playoffs and push could really be a big boost. Jacobs seems to be on the up finally and you have great support overall. Even Meyers is a solid flex option in a pinch. TE is the weakest area but Njoku has been trending up as well. No TE matters week to week outside of a couple and either will take way too much to land and hurt your overall build.

Team 3 - I actually don't see depth as an issue here. You have Collins, D. Johnson, Achane/Swift to fill in where needed and Njoku while Goedert is out. I get you start a ton of players, so depth is an issue for everyone at some point or at likely one of the three flexes, but I think you have to be in one of the better overall places with depth based on the number of starters.

Hopefully your teams stay healthy as that is the most important piece for all contenders and good luck!

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:09 am

the only hole you need to plug is your pie-hole for bragging about this. lol. seriously im jealous. not often the start align on all your leagues at the same time. Enjoy it and keep doing what you have been doing... Important to not mess with success. At this point, if something comes across that is little to no risk take it.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:35 am

TheTroll wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:09 am the only hole you need to plug is your pie-hole for bragging about this. lol. seriously im jealous. not often the start align on all your leagues at the same time. Enjoy it and keep doing what you have been doing... Important to not mess with success. At this point, if something comes across that is little to no risk take it.
Hahah genuinely not trying to brag (literally nothing to brag about yet, as there's no payout for having pretty teams on paper :lol:). Like I said, just want to make sure I do my due diligence, as I'm sure there have been plenty of managers here who had starts like this and have success/failure stories from it, and lessons to share. I usually lead my leagues in trades, 90% of those trades are posted here for advice. So I built these teams with the help of you fine folks.

And yes, I agree, it's rare that all the leagues align to meet or exceed expectation at the same time. Usually there's at least one team I thought would be really good and is .500 at this point in the season. I've been lucky so far. Fingers crossed

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:40 am

Gator Sens wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:02 am Congrats on the great start throughout your leagues!

Team 1 - I think this team is in pretty good shape overall. Aiyuk gives you a really solid WR3 or flex play weekly with Olave as well. You need Taylor and Barkley to step up a bit to help push for a title but on paper, you are in good shape and I would not force any moves.

Team 2 - Really solid team and getting Murray back in time for the playoffs and push could really be a big boost. Jacobs seems to be on the up finally and you have great support overall. Even Meyers is a solid flex option in a pinch. TE is the weakest area but Njoku has been trending up as well. No TE matters week to week outside of a couple and either will take way too much to land and hurt your overall build.

Team 3 - I actually don't see depth as an issue here. You have Collins, D. Johnson, Achane/Swift to fill in where needed and Njoku while Goedert is out. I get you start a ton of players, so depth is an issue for everyone at some point or at likely one of the three flexes, but I think you have to be in one of the better overall places with depth based on the number of starters.

Hopefully your teams stay healthy as that is the most important piece for all contenders and good luck!
Thanks Gator!

Team 1 - Yep I'll need those 2 RBs to step up for me. The potential move that jumps out at me here is moving Hollywood for a RB if possible. I'll look out for that but won't force it.

Team 2 - Agreed. I think trading for a QB upgrade (outside of something dirt cheap) could be detrimental

Team 3 - Yeah, it's possible that it feels thinner than it actually is with JJ & Achane on IR the past few weeks. There's a few teams that I think are stronger from a depth standpoint, but probably less fire power at the top

JamboMac
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JamboMac » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:23 am

One thing I'll add.. if you want to go for the win then go all in. Sell that 1.06 and upgrade wherever you can. Given the TE premium, I would even consider selling that for Kelce if the owner was willing. That would take you over the top with team 1.
12 team - 1QB, PPR
QB- Mahomes, Geno, Dobbs
RB- Ekeler, Taylor, Z.White, B.Robinson, Mattison, Stevenson, Zeke
WR- Allen, Jefferson, Tyreek, AJ Brown, M.Thomas, Atwell
TE- McBride, Waller, J.Smith

12 team - SF, PPR, 0.25PPC, 1.5 TEP
QB - Allen, Lawrence, Jackson
RB - JT, Etienne, Hall, K.Williams, Gibbs, Dobbins
WR - Lamb, St Brown, AJ Brown, Aiyuk, JSN, Meyers
TE - Pitts, Engram, Freiermuth, Otton,

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:42 am

JamboMac wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:23 am One thing I'll add.. if you want to go for the win then go all in. Sell that 1.06 and upgrade wherever you can. Given the TE premium, I would even consider selling that for Kelce if the owner was willing. That would take you over the top with team 1.
Thanks, I'll definitely will be eyeing Kelce or a TE upgrade as the trade deadline approaches. It's not until Wk14 in this league

I sold Kelce for Chase just before the season (gave Geno+Kelce+DJM, got Chase+Ertz+3rd). He's the type of manager that never gives up on contending, so he isn't likely to sell until he's mathematically eliminated lol. But he currently sits at 4-5 and is on the outside of the playoffs looking in. If things continue to go south, I'd imagine he'll want to get out of Kelce, and/or try to retool a bit.

I think Andrews could be in play too. The owner of the (1.06) pick has him, and we've kinda flirted with the idea of making that swap in the past (it would take more than just the 1.06, but the door is open)

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:23 pm

Team 1| 12tm PPR SF 0.5-TEP | 9-0

Pretty normal stuff here.

Looks fine. Above average, may be below average for the playoffs teams depending on how Kyler comes back, but solid none the less

Fine. Hopefully if saquons rushing production drops his receiving production increases.

Another great group.

Well I know where I want to invest.

Yay.

I'm not as worried about RB depth as I am about your TE. 4 useable rbs seems like plenty in a 12 team start 2.

TE wise I'm looking at kelce and Andrews. I'd also be looking at adding Schultz if he's not on a contender. Fortunately shultz may not cost as much.

With this team, depth across the board is the main issue, outside of WR. Consolidate here to add a RB? I also have a 1st to play with, but I'm reluctant to move it (currently 1.06). P.S. the record is a bit fraudulent here, I'm 4th in max points, though getting Kyler back should help

Depth isn't a problem until you get injuries and depth may not save you from injuries. I'd look to upgrade or add a TE and that's about it. Your first right now has less value than it did to start the season and that it will have during the draft. I'm fine holding here.

QBs are fine. See description of team above.

RB: Saquon, Jacobs, Swift, Gibbs, Mostert, Edwards, Warren a shaky group, but unless there are non playoff teams holding onto some rbs this is probably as good as it will get. I have a feeling you're going to be at a disadvantage at RB position compared to other contenders.

Yikes. You better nope chase recovers from his back injury and that waddle is fine. You need investment here. Older, younger, whatever. But need to add pieces. Nico Collins, Pickens, diontae, deebo, damario Douglass,.DJM, Sutton. One or two of those guys or players like those guys. Decent range there.

Yeah I want to upgrade this too. Watson in the past has not heavily relied on tes.

Ooph

This team is built on RBs, which is fine for a run but probably a concern long-term. Should I look to trade one away for a WR or TE? If Njoku went down I'd be drawing dead at the position.

So I'd approach trying to fill both holes at once. Can we move a RB and njoku, or two rbs for a wr and TE upgrade?

Good.

Good. Not looking to add or subtract much here.

Great.
Comes down a little bit to JJ. Does he come back? How is it with dobbs? Keep in mind Dobbs is going to have time to develop a relationship with hock and Addison now and JJ will be added later.

Looking for an upgrade here.

Yup

This is my most top-heavy team. My start/sit accuracy is in the mid-90% because who tf else am I gonna start? (lol) Anything in particular I should try to upgrade here?

Just needs a TE imo. This is my favorite team imo.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:26 pm

abloom wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:23 pm Team 1| 12tm PPR SF 0.5-TEP | 9-0

Pretty normal stuff here.

Looks fine. Above average, may be below average for the playoffs teams depending on how Kyler comes back, but solid none the less

Fine. Hopefully if saquons rushing production drops his receiving production increases.

Another great group.

Well I know where I want to invest.

Yay.

I'm not as worried about RB depth as I am about your TE. 4 useable rbs seems like plenty in a 12 team start 2.

TE wise I'm looking at kelce and Andrews. I'd also be looking at adding Schultz if he's not on a contender. Fortunately shultz may not cost as much.

Depth isn't a problem until you get injuries and depth may not save you from injuries. I'd look to upgrade or add a TE and that's about it. Your first right now has less value than it did to start the season and that it will have during the draft. I'm fine holding here.

QBs are fine. See description of team above.

RB: Saquon, Jacobs, Swift, Gibbs, Mostert, Edwards, Warren a shaky group, but unless there are non playoff teams holding onto some rbs this is probably as good as it will get. I have a feeling you're going to be at a disadvantage at RB position compared to other contenders.

Yikes. You better nope chase recovers from his back injury and that waddle is fine. You need investment here. Older, younger, whatever. But need to add pieces. Nico Collins, Pickens, diontae, deebo, damario Douglass,.DJM, Sutton. One or two of those guys or players like those guys. Decent range there.

Yeah I want to upgrade this too. Watson in the past has not heavily relied on tes.

Ooph

So I'd approach trying to fill both holes at once. Can we move a RB and njoku, or two rbs for a wr and TE upgrade?

Good.

Good. Not looking to add or subtract much here.

Great.
Comes down a little bit to JJ. Does he come back? How is it with dobbs? Keep in mind Dobbs is going to have time to develop a relationship with hock and Addison now and JJ will be added later.

Looking for an upgrade here.

Yup

Just needs a TE imo. This is my favorite team imo.
Thanks abloom, always appreciate your thorough analysis

(Sorry, can’t cut this up on mobile)

T1 - Yep, Kelce and Andrews are at the top of my list. Schultz is on another contender, but he’s their TE2 behind Kittle. He could be in play. Another guy who MIGHT be in play is LaPorta. Long story short, I sent a big offer to the LaPorta manager a few weeks ago involving multiple players. He wasn’t willing to deal them all but said he’s definitely interested in picking up another 1st, and would consider dealing one of the 3 players I was after (one being SLP)

T2 - I like the Njoku+RB idea. I’ll explore that. This one’s tough because there are a few rebuilding teams in the league hoarding TEs, so in theory, a RB would be less appealing. Still, I’ll try to find the angle

T3 - my favorite of these 3 as well. My favorite overall is a 12tm SF with Mahomes/Allen/Hall/JT/Chase. I didn’t mention that team here because there aren’t many holes, so not much action to take. This team would be my 2nd favorite, largely because it’s the team I’ve managed the longest. So it’s nice to see it blossom from what was once a pretty bad team from the startup (due to me being an inexperienced dynasty player).

A TE upgrade here is a tall order. Kelce is on #2 team. Andrews is on the #3 team who’s also the 2x defending champ and has issued a trade embargo against me lol. LaPorta, and Kincaid are on rebuilders and unlikely to move. Don’t think I get an upgrade here without sacrificing one of my elite guys. I’ll see what it would take, but might have to just hold and hope that Njoku can keep it going until Goedert is back

jobiegermano
Captain
Captain

Postby jobiegermano » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:05 am

I’ve been in my actual real friends dynasty league for over 20 years now. I went to MULTIPLE CONSECUTIVE finals and lost every time. I was always sooooo close. I came here begging for advice time and again, got what I needed, and finally brought home my first ‘ship last year!

Your teams are all solid… just don’t tinker tinker oops and die!

Don’t make a trade where the best piece isn’t coming your way.

Trust the decisions you’ve made that got you here.

Look at each player’s schedule for weeks 15, 16, 17 and see if any “non-stud” has a matchup that you think they can’t overcome, but let your studs be studs. Being as far up as you are in win/loss you could afford to sell a non-stud player with bad playoff matchups for a slightly lesser player with great playoff matchups.

That’s one way to try and play the game 🤷🏻‍♂️

For example someone like Thielen is slumping right now, but his predicted points for weeks 15 and 17 (in my league) are predicted to be his highest for all weeks the rest of the season.

I’d be willing to trade away a player that is peaking now for him even if it makes me shaky for the next game or two because with your record you are going to make the playoffs and you need players that will peak then.
Bling Dyna$ty:
10 Owners, Single QB, Non-PPR, TDs = 6
16 Player Roster, 2 Year Taxi Squad
10 Keepers, 2 Round Rookie Draft, 6 Round Supplemental Auction
$100 Combined Auction/FAAB Dollar Base
Lineup: QB, 2xRB, 2xWR, TE, RWT(FLEX), DEF, K

QB: P. Mahomes, B. Mayfield
RB: C. McCaffrey, D. Montgomery, R. Mostert, Jeff Wilson Jr., R. Dowdle, D'Ernest Johnson
WR: D. Moore, P. Nacua, S. Diggs, K. Allen
TE: T. Kelce, I. Likely
K: B. Aubrey
DEF: Browns
IR: N/A
Taxi: N/A

2024 Rookie (Taxi) Picks: 0 x 1st & 0 x 2nd
2024 Auction/FAAB: $100
2025 Rookie (Taxi) Picks: 0 x 1st & 0 x 2nd
2025 Auction/FAAB: $100
2026 Rookie (Taxi) Picks: 1 x 1st & 1 x 2nd
2026 Auction/FAAB: $100

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: UPDATE - Help me bring one home

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:08 am

UPDATE:

All 3 of these teams got a 1st round bye. Team 2 lost in RD2 (164.64 - 162.34). Made all the correct lineup decisions. But couldn't overcome the lack of WR depth as Chase/Keenan were OUT, Waddle left early, and the Raiders' passing offense ceased to exist after 1Q

Now for Team 1 and Team 3, both headed to the championship. Could use some lineup advice:

Team 1: (underdog)
QBs/TEs are locked. Assuming Chase doesn't play...choose ONE of the following to SIT:

(PPR)

Saquon vs. LAR
Javonte vs. LAC
Diontae vs. SEA
Conner vs. PHI

Team 3: (favorite)
Pick 2 to START @ Flex (PPR):

- Swift vs. ARZ
- Nico vs. TEN (both Nico and Stroud questionable but seem likely to play)
- Achane vs. BAL
- Ford vs. NYJ
- Diontae vs. SEA
- Goedert vs. ARZ (0.5-TEP) - could also start him @ TE, but planning to ride the hot-hand of Njoku

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:16 am

Tough loss for team 2, sorry, but congrats on getting to two finals. That's a good year!

Team 1 - I would sit D. Johnson. His floor is so low.

Team 3 - Swift and Collins

Good luck!

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:24 am

Gator Sens wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:16 am Tough loss for team 2, sorry, but congrats on getting to two finals. That's a good year!

Team 1 - I would sit D. Johnson. His floor is so low.

Team 3 - Swift and Collins

Good luck!
Thanks Gator!

I was between Diontae and Javonte for Team 1, was definitely leaning Diontae (to sit)

Swift and Collins are who I currently have in there. Achane is a bit intriguing for the home run quality. But both Swift and Collins are probably a good mix of floor/ceiling

Dibbles
MVP
MVP

Postby Dibbles » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:13 am

Sit diontae

Start swift and nico

Congrats and good luck!

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame