1.02 -> 1.01 Gap in 1QB

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: 1.02 -> 1.01 Gap in 1QB

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:40 am

MacDaddy123 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:56 pm
tstafford wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:50 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:36 am

I'd start making other plans.
Agreed. Nabers isn't going to be there at 1.04 in 1QB regardless of what MHJR does. He's probably the 1.02.
Sorry, should have said SF.
I don't have any dynasty 1 QB leagues.

I actually think the gap between 1.01 and 1.02 grows larger in 1 QB if MHJ returns to school.

As IMO, Nabers is much closer to MHJ than any other WR is to Nabers.
So if MHJ returns to OSU, and Nabers is the new 1.01, the gap between 1.01 and 1.02 is now larger.
I saw another thread, and realized this, but this is a 1 QB thread, so thought you meant 1 QB. Honestly, I am not even convinced MHJ is better than Nabers.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:42 am

MacDaddy123 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:56 pm I actually think the gap between 1.01 and 1.02 grows larger in 1 QB if MHJ returns to school.
I see what you mean. And that could be true. It's less a statement about Nabers (in 1QB) than how much higher folks value CW (in SF) over the next player.

For SF: Seems that sentiments are evolving fairly quickly right now about guys like Maye and Daniels even though no games are being played! Six weeks ago I think the prevailing POV was that CW/MHJR were more or less a tier in SF. In that case the gap to the 1.02 would be big if MHJR returns to OSU. Feels like some of the luster is off CW in some folks' opinion and that others have risen closer.

I struggle with the comments that Nabers isn't all that far behind (or maybe ahead) of MHJR. I've watched every play of MHJR's career and many games of Nabers. They are both terrific and I don't want to slight Nabers (who I hold in devy). The thing I can't get around is the impact that MHJR has on the OSU offense when he is on the field. The whole thing changes. And it's not like he's an uber-stud on some otherwise crappy team. OSU top to bottom is one of the best teams in the country yet still MHJR tilts the field. Maybe that impact doesn't carry through to the NFL, I don't know. But what I do know is to my eye MHJR is the best prospect since Chase. I'll pay a premium to get that.

Again, I like Nabers. I stress that because it seems that all too often when we say we prefer x to y that ends up interpreted as we dislike y. There isn't a 2023 rookie I would take in return for MHJR in a devy league right now. So I'll pose this question (since not much else is going on right now):

Which 2023 rookies would you take right now over Nabers in a devy league? I'd take Addison, Puka and probably Dell. But that's it - not JSN, not Flowers.

fleaflickerchamp
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby fleaflickerchamp » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:04 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:40 am
tstafford wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:50 am

Agreed. Nabers isn't going to be there at 1.04 in 1QB regardless of what MHJR does. He's probably the 1.02.

I actually think the gap between 1.01 and 1.02 grows larger in 1 QB if MHJ returns to school.

So if MHJ returns to OSU, and Nabers is the new 1.01, the gap between 1.01 and 1.02 is now larger.
I saw another thread, and realized this, but this is a 1 QB thread, so thought you meant 1 QB. Honestly, I am not even convinced MHJ is better than Nabers.
I have been flirting with the idea that Nabers may be better than MHJ for a majority of the season. I'm curious to see how much traction that gains throughout the offseason. If Nabers goes within a couple picks of MHJ I would seriously start to consider it. Even in SF I have 1.01 and 1.02 and have considered taking both of them instead of a QB. It leaves me a little light on QBs with Tua and Burrow being injury prone but if healthy I have no problem with that pair. Granted I probably wouldn't be thinking this if CW finished this year stronger. And realistically I feel like I won't have the brass to take both of them or Nabers over MHJ at any point, just recognizing its much closer than originally thought. I also feel like MHJ name but come too much into play.
Last edited by fleaflickerchamp on Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
10 team PPR 2 QB, 2RB,3WR,TE,2F,DE,LB,S,7BENCH,4TAXI, IR(Only Keep 15 in bold)
QB: Burrow, Tua, Baker , Mac, Browning
RB: Walker, Mondre, R. White, R. Johnson, Herbert
WR: Olave, Pittman, Meyers, Downs, Jameson Williams, Shaheed, W. Robinson, Noah Brown
TE: Goedert, Pitts
DE:Bosa
LB:Wagner
S:Hamilton
2024: 1.01,1.02,2.01,4.01,5.01
2025: 1st, 2nd, 2 3rds, 4th, 5th

fleaflickerchamp
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby fleaflickerchamp » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:11 am

tstafford wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:42 am Which 2023 rookies would you take right now over Nabers in a devy league? I'd take Addison, Puka and probably Dell. But that's it - not JSN, not Flowers.
Great question that I've been thinking about. Obviously you're talking only WRs but I think Puka is the only one I would prefer having over Nabers. And I agree that I would not want any over MHJ. But depending on the combine and draft I think Nabers will rise in peoples minds. I agree with what you said about MHJs impact though, Nabers stats were much better also getting caught from the heisman, but MHJ won the Biletnikoff
10 team PPR 2 QB, 2RB,3WR,TE,2F,DE,LB,S,7BENCH,4TAXI, IR(Only Keep 15 in bold)
QB: Burrow, Tua, Baker , Mac, Browning
RB: Walker, Mondre, R. White, R. Johnson, Herbert
WR: Olave, Pittman, Meyers, Downs, Jameson Williams, Shaheed, W. Robinson, Noah Brown
TE: Goedert, Pitts
DE:Bosa
LB:Wagner
S:Hamilton
2024: 1.01,1.02,2.01,4.01,5.01
2025: 1st, 2nd, 2 3rds, 4th, 5th

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:43 am

fleaflickerchamp wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:04 am

I have been flirting with the idea that Nabers may be better than MHJ for a majority of the season. I'm curious to see how much traction that gains throughout the offseason. If Nabers goes within a couple picks of MHJ I would seriously start to consider it. Even in SF I have 1.01 and 1.02 and have considered taking both of them instead of a QB. It leaves me a little light on QBs with Tua and Burrow being injury prone but if healthy I have no problem with that pair. Granted I probably wouldn't be thinking this if CW finished this year stronger. And realistically I feel like I won't have the brass to take both of them or Nabers over MHJ at any point, just recognizing its much closer than originally thought. I also feel like MHJ name but come too much into play.
Nabers got robbed of the Bilitnekoff because of name value.
Janiel Dones Truther

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:46 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:43 am
fleaflickerchamp wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:04 am

Nabers got robbed of the Bilitnekoff because of name value.
Better season than JJ or Chase at LSU which is saying something.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:27 am

I really like MHJ. I also really like Nabers. If I had the opportunity to move up for a reasonable price I would take it. Otherwise though I'd be fine with rolling with Nabers. The gap isn't that large for me, I'd hate to lose out on either. I'd prob give up a 2nd to move up.
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:25 am

ThunderTung wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:27 am I really like MHJ. I also really like Nabers. If I had the opportunity to move up for a reasonable price I would take it. Otherwise though I'd be fine with rolling with Nabers. The gap isn't that large for me, I'd hate to lose out on either. I'd prob give up a 2nd to move up.
As someone who sits at 1.02 in a SF, I'd want a first to move back to 1.04. (Sort of moving back 1 spot in a 1 QB league, but not the same tactically) I'd want that for moving off of Nabers. I'd be fine landing MHJ, but based on his (MHJ) value, I'd want a first. I would actually want Nabers straight up, but want to play the value card. I don't want to take Nabers at 1.02, because I don't have to, and QB is likely to go at 1.03, and I'd take the 1.04 for an extra first, and if I get sniped on Nabers, I can then have a premium pick with the 2nd QB on the board at 1.04.
Janiel Dones Truther

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:18 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:25 am
ThunderTung wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:27 am I really like MHJ. I also really like Nabers. If I had the opportunity to move up for a reasonable price I would take it. Otherwise though I'd be fine with rolling with Nabers. The gap isn't that large for me, I'd hate to lose out on either. I'd prob give up a 2nd to move up.
As someone who sits at 1.02 in a SF, I'd want a first to move back to 1.04. (Sort of moving back 1 spot in a 1 QB league, but not the same tactically) I'd want that for moving off of Nabers. I'd be fine landing MHJ, but based on his (MHJ) value, I'd want a first. I would actually want Nabers straight up, but want to play the value card. I don't want to take Nabers at 1.02, because I don't have to, and QB is likely to go at 1.03, and I'd take the 1.04 for an extra first, and if I get sniped on Nabers, I can then have a premium pick with the 2nd QB on the board at 1.04.
TT - I'm with you that moving up from the 1.02 to the 1.01 shouldn't cost much, but my guess is it will. You're probably right that a 2nd is about the right price. I suspect in most cases the manager with the 1.01 will just opt to make the pick vs. taking the 2nd. It's got some parallels to the Bijan situation - going to need to overpay if you want the 1.01. For me the difference is I'm more okay overpaying to get a WR than a RB. I was totally out on Bijan not because of skill/opportunity/etc. purely on his being vastly overpriced. Maybe the Bijan/Gibbs outcomes will temper the market this year, but I'll believe that when I see it.

FF - My guess is we will see deals like 1.04/1.10 for the 1.02 in SF. Some people will be willing to pay to get their guy. And also that there is a tier break after the 1.02 (right or wrong). While I'm happy to have the 1.01 in my SF league, I would have also been fine with the 1.02. (Thus my answer to TT). The top-6 in SF look really good me. Add Bowers to that in TEP.

**Caveat is that we don't actually know MHJR will be in the draft. My comments assume he declares.