Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
81-
Captain
Captain

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby 81- » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:41 pm

Bowl games are always a solid indicator.

Having now read his ESPN spun comments. If the boosters ponied up 15-20mil. I'd delay the second contract a year and let inflation raise the minimum NFL wage.

Gold pants are priceless.

Need to get into the nil game

Also.

Say you haven't been to Ohio without saying you haven't been to Ohio.

I can put to geather a great Ohio vacation if you are so inclined to visit.

I've been every where man.
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:22 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:37 pm
mild wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:21 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:09 am

NIL deals can't compete with Top-5 pick money. Shedeur Sanders had the highest NIL valuation last year of 5.1M.

Harrison is going to sign a fully guaranteed deal worth 30M+ next year that has a 20M+ signing bonus. He'll also get endorsement deals that take his immediate earnings north of 30M.
Some food for thought on Marv:

You're acting like the money is the thing driving him. For a lot of players, it is... but the Harrisons are already millionaires. There's no rush for him to better his wider family's circumstance. Even for himself - not a lot is going to change, perhaps some car and house upgrades... but if I had to guess, it won't be his prime motivator, because it never has been.

We should be taking this pretty seriously if the report is accurate, imo.

If the choice is going back for another year of College and all the fun that comes with it, delaying "real life" for another year, and also getting to the "unfinished business" of beating Michigan and getting to the CFB championship - then I can absolutely see the appeal. He would hardly be the first highly ranked player to go back.
Still though, business is business.

Is risking a significant injury and let's say....28M less worth it to beat Michigan? Everyone's built differently, but idk about that one.
Haven’t seen it mentioned, but the guy that threw all those TD passes to his dad came back for his senior year and I’d say it worked out just fine.

Peyton Manning returned because he had never beaten Florida and hadn’t won an SEC title. It’s an eerily similar situation to MHJ that is at least in the realm of possibilities if you ask me. Most others I’d say no chance, but not here.

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:39 pm

Apparently Henderson already announced he is returning to school:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ohio-state-los ... 20Buckeyes.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:42 pm

81- wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:41 pm Also.

Say you haven't been to Ohio without saying you haven't been to Ohio.

I can put to geather a great Ohio vacation if you are so inclined to visit.

I've been every where man.
I've been to Ohio. :thumbup:

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:07 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:22 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:37 pm
mild wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:21 pm

Some food for thought on Marv:

You're acting like the money is the thing driving him. For a lot of players, it is... but the Harrisons are already millionaires. There's no rush for him to better his wider family's circumstance. Even for himself - not a lot is going to change, perhaps some car and house upgrades... but if I had to guess, it won't be his prime motivator, because it never has been.

We should be taking this pretty seriously if the report is accurate, imo.

If the choice is going back for another year of College and all the fun that comes with it, delaying "real life" for another year, and also getting to the "unfinished business" of beating Michigan and getting to the CFB championship - then I can absolutely see the appeal. He would hardly be the first highly ranked player to go back.
Still though, business is business.

Is risking a significant injury and let's say....28M less worth it to beat Michigan? Everyone's built differently, but idk about that one.
Haven’t seen it mentioned, but the guy that threw all those TD passes to his dad came back for his senior year and I’d say it worked out just fine.

Peyton Manning returned because he had never beaten Florida and hadn’t won an SEC title. It’s an eerily similar situation to MHJ that is at least in the realm of possibilities if you ask me. Most others I’d say no chance, but not here.
I think Manning declares if the situation with the Jets worked out differently behind the scenes. Of course it sounds great publicly to say the reason is something competitive.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:17 pm

I lean towards MHJ declaring but it's definitely not impossible that he chooses to come back for his Senior season.

I believe anyone outright disregarding that possibility is wishcasting. There's no financial rush for him to declare and college will likely be one of the highlights of his life.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:26 pm

Sriracha wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:17 pm I lean towards MHJ declaring but it's definitely not impossible that he chooses to come back for his Senior season.

I believe anyone outright disregarding that possibility is wishcasting. There's no financial rush for him to declare and college will likely be one of the highlights of his life.
I agree.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:47 am

The more I dig in, the more unlikely it is MHJ doesn't declare. I just realized, he's a junior, but he's an older junior. Nabers is basically a full year younger, a "real" junior, in terms of age.

If MHJ went back to school, he'd start the season as a 23 year old rookie. I can't see him putting his 2nd contract off until the age of 28, the financial losses he'd be sacrificing by going back to school, are too great.

Also, Nabers is really damn good, he's the top non QB if MHJ were to stay, for some reason, and again, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a better career than MHJ.

Nabers vs any WR in last years class, would have been WR1 by a country mile. The top 2 WR's in this class, are special football players. I actually think Nabers is a guy who will struggle less with bad QB play, too, because he's a bit more versatile, IMO. Both are incredible players.

It might be an unpopular opinion, but if you can move back 1 spot from MHJ and get a haul to do so, you're better off.

stick3925
Rookie
Rookie

Postby stick3925 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:39 am

Even if MHJ doesn't declare (I'm very skeptical he would go back) this is still a very good WR class. I'm a bit surprised people in here aren't higher on Odunze. I see him on equal footing as Nabers on my personal board, and depending on testing (from what I've seen online Odunze may actually be faster than Nabers in terms of 40 time) and landing spot I may put him ahead of Nabers when all is said and done. If you take Marv out it still looks like there could be in excess of 10 WRs with draft projections in the first 2 rounds:

Nabers (top 10)
Odunze (top 15)
Coleman (top 20)
Egbuka (1st)
Mitchell (late 1st/early 2nd)
Worthy (late 1st/early 2nd)
Legette (2nd)
Thomas Jr. (2nd)
Franklin (2nd)
Wilson (2nd)
McConkey (2nd)
Polk (late 2nd)

A lot of nice height/weight/speed guys especially compared to last year. A good class at the top and depth wise and if Marv does come out it could potentially be a very special one.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:51 am

stick3925 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:39 am Even if MHJ doesn't declare (I'm very skeptical he would go back) this is still a very good WR class. I'm a bit surprised people in here aren't higher on Odunze. I see him on equal footing as Nabers on my personal board, and depending on testing (from what I've seen online Odunze may actually be faster than Nabers in terms of 40 time) and landing spot I may put him ahead of Nabers when all is said and done. If you take Marv out it still looks like there could be in excess of 10 WRs with draft projections in the first 2 rounds:

Nabers (top 10)
Odunze (top 15)
Coleman (top 20)
Egbuka (1st)
Mitchell (late 1st/early 2nd)
Worthy (late 1st/early 2nd)
Legette (2nd)
Thomas Jr. (2nd)
Franklin (2nd)
Wilson (2nd)
McConkey (2nd)
Polk (late 2nd)

A lot of nice height/weight/speed guys especially compared to last year. A good class at the top and depth wise and if Marv does come out it could potentially be a very special one.
I like Odunze a lot, but I think Nabers is on a different level. He's a year older, and I don't think he's as complete a player, but I don't think any are, to be fair. I think Nabers is a special player. He's got it all. His routes, YAC, anticipation after the catch is fantastic, the way he sees the field. The way he holds his hands until the last second when the DB's back is turned, I just think he's such a complete WR. A real natural.

stick3925
Rookie
Rookie

Postby stick3925 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:08 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:51 am I like Odunze a lot, but I think Nabers is on a different level. He's a year older, and I don't think he's as complete a player, but I don't think any are, to be fair. I think Nabers is a special player. He's got it all. His routes, YAC, anticipation after the catch is fantastic, the way he sees the field. The way he holds his hands until the last second when the DB's back is turned, I just think he's such a complete WR. A real natural.
I've seen Odunze do all those things too and I think both are special. I think Nabers has an edge after the catch but I think Odunze is better in contested situations, both players are excellent in terms of those skills. It really is splitting hairs and I would be happy to have either at this point and when it comes down to it, landing spot is going to determine who is higher on my board. ATM it is Nabers, because of his age. The point of my posting isn't to argue the nuance of who is preferred between the two it's more to point out how good this WR class is with or without Marv.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:21 am

stick3925 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:08 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:51 am I like Odunze a lot, but I think Nabers is on a different level. He's a year older, and I don't think he's as complete a player, but I don't think any are, to be fair. I think Nabers is a special player. He's got it all. His routes, YAC, anticipation after the catch is fantastic, the way he sees the field. The way he holds his hands until the last second when the DB's back is turned, I just think he's such a complete WR. A real natural.
I've seen Odunze do all those things too and I think both are special. I think Nabers has an edge after the catch but I think Odunze is better in contested situations, both players are excellent in terms of those skills. It really is splitting hairs and I would be happy to have either at this point and when it comes down to it, landing spot is going to determine who is higher on my board. ATM it is Nabers, because of his age. The point of my posting isn't to argue the nuance of who is preferred between the two it's more to point out how good this WR class is with or without Marv.
I'd be happy with either, but I'd definitely pay to move up and take Nabers, personally, if it didn't cost a ton. There are some really good WR's at the top of this class. RB's suck. 1 QB league, this class stinks, for value in the late first, but SF/TEP it's better class.

The RB's really drive down the value of picks in this class. Sanders going back, Henderson going back, Brooks tearing his ACL. It's the worst class I can remember.

I'd like to put your point to real NFL terms, too.

If AZ has 1.02, they should absolutely pass on MHJ to move back a few spots, and miss out on him, to get a boatload of picks to a QB needy team, and take Nabers, or their next top WR. They are much better off doing that, than sitting there and taking Harrison at 2. In an ideal world, they would move back to 3, like the Trubisky trade, but even if they had to move back to 4 or 5, lets say, or 7, whatever. If they can get more future firsts, and 2nds, to move back in the top 10, they absolutely should.

There's just no way you should sit at 2 and take a WR when there are top end QB prospects on the board, and teams desperately needing one. You can't let them off the hook like that. Taking MHJ at 2 would be a mistake, IMO.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

stick3925
Rookie
Rookie

Postby stick3925 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:34 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:21 am The RB's really drive down the value of picks in this class. Sanders going back, Henderson going back, Brooks tearing his ACL. It's the worst class I can remember.
It reminds me a bit of the 2014 class (top RBs were Hyde, Sankey, Tre Mason and Jeremy Hill) with much better QBs.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:41 am

I will be 100% dumbfounded if MHJR comes back to OSU.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:44 am

murphysxm wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:41 am I will be 100% dumbfounded if MHJR comes back to OSU.
Me too, to be honest. As I would be dumbfounded if a team at 1.02 who is set at QB takes him.