The Official Brock Purdy Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: The Official Brock Purdy Thread

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:14 am

I think it's fair to wonder if long-term Purdy is the type of QB who can elevate an offense that isn't as talented as this one. Though, the 49ers are still a couple of years away from that being something they need to think about. There's a very short list of QBs who can do a whole lot with a whole lot less.

That said, he put them in position to win the game even after his worst game as a pro and in conditions that weren't favorable and against a defense that has been executing at an elite level this season.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:51 am

Some seem to lose sight that Purdy is still an unfinished product. He’s in his sophomore season and is still 6 starts short of a cumulative full season. You know he wasn’t getting a lot of reps in the first 2/3rds of the season last year. There’s still a lot of potential improvement that can occur.

You can count on one hand the number of NFL QBs drafted very low in the draft and then stepping up to perform in a manner like he has to date.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:12 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:51 am Some seem to lose sight that Purdy is still an unfinished product. He’s in his sophomore season and is still 6 starts short of a cumulative full season. You know he wasn’t getting a lot of reps in the first 2/3rds of the season last year. There’s still a lot of potential improvement that can occur.
yeah, it's a good point. all the talk in the off-season was about "regression or keeping it up", never a mention of possible improvement.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:50 am

The weather, and Purdy's smallish hands definitely had an effect. It was his worst game as a pro. They still should have won the game, too.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:41 am

I love when a consensus of fantasy managers continually doubt a very good fantasy player. It makes it easier for me to assemble winning teams. :thumbup:
Last edited by Anteaters on Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:00 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:14 am I think it's fair to wonder if long-term Purdy is the type of QB who can elevate an offense that isn't as talented as this one. Though, the 49ers are still a couple of years away from that being something they need to think about. There's a very short list of QBs who can do a whole lot with a whole lot less.

That said, he put them in position to win the game even after his worst game as a pro and in conditions that weren't favorable and against a defense that has been executing at an elite level this season.
He lost both Deebo and CMC in that game. That hurt a ton. Purdy isn't a player to worry about when his team is healthy but like most QB's in the league it will matter when 2 of their top 4 weapons are on the sidelines. He was a borderline QB 1 with all his weapons but , outside of a few wishful thinkers around here, I don't think anyone was really thinking he is will be a top 5 QB at this point.

He had a bad game. He will have more bad games. All good NFL QB's have them.

Fantasy wise, Purdy was 10th in PPr through 5 weeks, He is now 14th through 6 weeks.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:49 pm

brward wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:52 pm Meh Brock had a bad game against a really good defense, playing in the rain, and losing two of his better weapons. It happens. I think the MVP talk was overblown but people pointing to one bad and saying ‘I told you so’ is also an overreaction. 2nd year 7th round pick Brock is at worst an above average QB with room to grow. Remember he still hasn’t had a full off season with starter reps.
I didn't realize this, but it's actually historic. They've allowed the third fewest total yards to start the season through five games in NFL history. That's better than the Niners defense in 2012, better than the LOB, better than the Ravens defense that won a Super Bowl, and better than the 85 Bears. Holy bleep.
Forza_Azzurri wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:06 pm I think people are missing the point with Purdy. Yes, Hurts had a horrible game today, just like Josh Allen had a horrible game in Week 1 vs. the Jets. But both of those guys have shown the ability to carry their teams to victory is adverse conditions. Purdy hasn’t shown that yet. Even though he only threw one int today, Purdy looked completely outmatched without Deebo & CMC.
As a known Purdy lover and defender, I gotta agree with you on this. He didn't have the ability to rally the troops and elevate the level of player to the players around him when the going got tough. He did it before in games where he had to play from behind (Dolphins & Raiders) but not in a game with a relentless defense and terrible weather conditions.

Purdy wanted to scramble nearly every time he dropped back. You cannot take 7 step drops against this defense, and when you lose your top two targets, it gets even worse.

That said, he still played better than Garoppolo would have, he still put the 49ers in position to win, and winning ugly games is a sign of a great team. A made kick at the end and we're having a different kind of a conversation imo, and that missed kick is not on him. Neither were any of the penalties, nor the several dropped passes.

Blame Shanny for the bad play calls and the lack of guts to run a freaking play with 40 seconds left to get closer to the uprights... what the heck, Shanny!? What the hecking heck!?
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Tvols
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Tvols » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:59 pm

Didn’t the 49ers lose by missing a field goal towards the end of the game ?agreed not the best day for purdybut he still had them in a position to win at the end .
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:36 pm

Tvols wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:59 pm Didn’t the 49ers lose by missing a field goal towards the end of the game ?agreed not the best day for purdybut he still had them in a position to win at the end .
Refs helped put them in a position to win on that last drive ( as in so many cases) when the drive was actually stopped but Purdy did complete a cpl to Ayiuk under pressure. But he and the team were abysmal in the passing game the 2nd half. It happens, need to see more situations where he has to overcome adversity to see if he is a clutch player or just a product of a great system & situation

Tvols
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Tvols » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:46 am

cazzie33 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:36 pm
Tvols wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:59 pm Didn’t the 49ers lose by missing a field goal towards the end of the game ?agreed not the best day for purdybut he still had them in a position to win at the end .
Refs helped put them in a position to win on that last drive ( as in so many cases) when the drive was actually stopped but Purdy did complete a cpl to Ayiuk under pressure. But he and the team were abysmal in the passing game the 2nd half. It happens, need to see more situations where he has to overcome adversity to see if he is a clutch player or just a product of a great system & situation
you could say the same about Hurst , lamar or just about any QB IMO. That was said about Cousin for years how over rated he was only to do it almost every year. I just see a very good QB in the making limitations absolutely but very few QBs does not have some kind of limitations. He just wins most of his games with the aid of his team sure. Agreed we do need to see more but i like what I see ,i would Glady take purdy over DAk, we seen what dak can do and its not any better than for sure.
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:06 am

Tvols wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:46 am
you could say the same about Hurst , lamar or just about any QB IMO. That was said about Cousin for years how over rated he was only to do it almost every year. I just see a very good QB in the making limitations absolutely but very few QBs does not have some kind of limitations. He just wins most of his games with the aid of his team sure. Agreed we do need to see more but i like what I see ,i would Glady take purdy over DAk, we seen what dak can do and its not any better than for sure.
Hurts & Lamar are on a completely different level. Despite any flaws they have, they can both can carry a team to victory. Purdy clearly does not have the physical gifts to do that. Kirk is more talented physically than Purdy, but is nowhere near as good at processing or playing to the occasion. It's clear what Purdy is ... he's a good to great field general, but lacks skills to win when things break down.

brward
Rookie
Rookie

Postby brward » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:22 am

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:06 am
Hurts & Lamar are on a completely different level. Despite any flaws they have, they can both can carry a team to victory. Purdy clearly does not have the physical gifts to do that. Kirk is more talented physically than Purdy, but is nowhere near as good at processing or playing to the occasion. It's clear what Purdy is ... he's a good to great field general, but lacks skills to win when things break down.
We've seen Purdy make a lot of really good plays outside of the play structure when things break down. Recall when he basically ran sideline to sideline and hit Aiyuk in the back of the endzone with a dime of a throw and Aiyuk dropped it? That was Mahomes level improv. I get where you're coming from. You want to see Purdy excel in some more adverse situations late in games. I do too. I'm just going to give him a pass on this one. Losing a lot of talent on offense mid game, against an elite defense, in the wind and rain.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:52 am

I take issue with this...
Even taking the argument that no, Purdy doesn't have Lamar's ability to break a big run, to say he can't carry his team to victory...just seems like searching for something to dislike.
Perhaps...maybe...someday...people will accept that some QBs carry their team to victory by MAKING the consistent, reliable plays. Between a QB that is more mistake prone but can also play hero ball, and a QB that carries his team by simply being consistently effective, give me the consistently effective. Will Purdy be that? I dunno. So far it seems that he is developing that way.
Cam Newton was the ultimate HERO BALL QB. Tom Brady was the ultimate CONSISTENTLY SMART DECISIONS QB. Cam was certainly the more unreal specimen of an athlete as far as what we measure/the wow highlights. That doesn't mean he was more athletic at being a QB than Brady was though. Maybe Purdy falls into that Brady archetype. Maybe he'll be a Chad Pennington (that hopefully has a healthier career) but maybe he can be significantly more. He's certainly on track to be.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:44 pm

Purdy: 6'1, 212, 4.83 40
Cousins: 6'3, 214, 4.93 40

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:11 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:44 pm

Purdy: 6'1, 212, 4.83 40
Cousins: 6'3, 214, 4.93 40
Oh, I forgot that Purdy was the first QB to fall to the 7th round with no discernible flaws. He pisses excellence. He cannot fail; he can only be failed.