JJ/Chase - Am I crazy?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

JJ/Chase - Am I crazy?

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:12 pm

Team 2 in signature - 12tm PPR SF

I just traded for JJ yesterday - (Gave: Bijan + London | Got: JJ + Nico)

Today, the Chase owner, who is actively tanking came knocking for a JJ/Chase swap.

He wanted JJ+ '24 mid 2nd for Chase.
I immediately countered with JJ + Gibbs + 2nd for Chase + Breece

He said "I thought the JJ+2/Chase swap was fair since you're contending and JJ's injury could linger.

I told him my team is 5-0 (also playing 2 rebuilders the next two weeks), and will survive JJ's 4-5 week injury. And said if they shut him down for the year, so be it. I'm not paying a 2nd on top of JJ when I don't think his long-term outlook has changed. Told him if he's willing to do the RB swap, I'll do it. And if not, no worries but I'll hold because I wouldn't add much more than that. I think the deal I offered is mutually beneficial considering JJ helps him shed points, and he gets an additional pick.

He thought I was crazy to have Breece/Gibbs even close, which I understand but as I told him, Gibbs still possesses the elite ceiling I drafted him for, and I'm not scared off by a few weeks. He said cool, let me think about it and get back to you.

His final counter was:

JJ + Gibbs + Aiyuk + '24 mid 2nd
for
Chase + Breece + Pickens

(He's tried to sell me Pickens for several months. I personally haven't been a believer, still am not, and have Aiyuk significantly higher).

I would imagine this forum will tell me I'm crazy because of the Gibbs/Hall stance. I already declined but....thoughts?
Team 1:
12-team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Herbert, Kyler, Baker, Jimmy G, Mariota, DTR
RB: Taylor, Saquon, Javonte, Conner, C.Evans, TDP
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Olave, Diggs, Diontae, Hollywood, MT, Shaheed
TE: Engram, Woods, Kraft
'24 picks: 1.08, 3.05

Team 2:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Mahomes, Allen, Russ
RB: Breece, JT, Swift, Javonte, Mostert, Zamir
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Nico, Kupp, Hollywood, Kirk, MT
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Woods
'24 picks: 4.01

Team 3:
QB: Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Z.Wilson, DTR
RB: Saquon, Swift, Achane, Kamara, Ford
WR: Jefferson, AJB, ARSB, Nico, Diontae, OBJ
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Fant, Woods
'24 picks: 4.08, 4.12, 5.12

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: JJ/Chase - Am I crazy?

Postby Gator Sens » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:20 pm

I think the value is here to make the deal because of Hall but I would be fine holding. I prefer Jefferson to Chase, so despite the value boost in the secondary pieces, I would not view this as a must-make trade.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:23 pm

Gator Sens wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:20 pm I think the value is here to make the deal because of Hall but I would be fine holding. I prefer Jefferson to Chase, so despite the value boost in the secondary pieces, I would not view this as a must-make trade.
Thanks Gator, I agree. Jefferson and Chase are in their own tier but I think the community widely prefers JJ (myself included).
I think the most I'd add to my original counter would be '25 2nd.

JJRules
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JJRules » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:46 pm

Prison_Mike wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:12 pm His final counter was:

for
Chase + Breece + Pickens
I would have accepted that. JJ and Chase are a wash long term, with Chase helping you win more games this year, and I like Pickens and Aiyuk about the same.

This trade to me is Gibbs and a second for Breece Hall, plus some extra active WR1 games. Especially in a competing year, I'm smashing accept on this.
10-team Superflex, 0.5 PPR, 15-man rosters, pseudo-dynasty
Keep any number of players (0-15), lose same number of draft picks
2010, 2015, 2020 - 🏆, 2013 - 🥈

QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, SF, FLEX, D/ST

QB: Dak, Watson
RB: Swift, Robinson Jr, Singletary, Brown, Hubbard, Zeus, Herbert
WR: Wilson, Olave, Pickens, Aiyuk
TE: Pitts, LaPorta
D/ST:

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:42 pm

JJRules wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:46 pm
Prison_Mike wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:12 pm His final counter was:

for
Chase + Breece + Pickens
I would have accepted that. JJ and Chase are a wash long term, with Chase helping you win more games this year, and I like Pickens and Aiyuk about the same.

This trade to me is Gibbs and a second for Breece Hall, plus some extra active WR1 games. Especially in a competing year, I'm smashing accept on this.
I hear ya, and I think your assessment is completely reasonable

Tbh I think I’d be more concerned about the JJ/Chase swap if I were a fringe contender. But as it stands, I’ve banked some wins @ 5-0 and play rebuilders 2 out of the 4/5 weeks JJ is projected to miss

I saw the deal as:

- JJ > Chase - sure they’re a wash, but I have a preference long-term and the shedding of points helps him as much as it helps me

- Gibbs < Hall - no question, but I think the market has this pretty close. For example, I wouldn’t give any more than a 2nd to move from Gibbs to Breece if the deal were just between the RBs, maybe two 2nds, but certainly not a 1st

- Aiyuk > Pickens - I guess this is my own personal bias but I do not project Pickens to be a long term difference-maker for fantasy football. I’d much rather bet on Aiyuk’s skill set and would probably have at least 12 WRs between them if I were to rank them. It also feels relevant to mention here that I don’t think my trade partner believes in Pickens either, as he’s tried to trade him to me often in the past

I guess it ultimately comes down to me thinking the gap between Aiyuk and Pickens is wider than the gap from Hall to Gibbs. I can understand the argument, I’d just prefer to bet on the ceilings of Aiyuk/Gibbs I guess

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:45 pm

Prison_Mike wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:12 pm Team 2 in signature - 12tm PPR SF

Today, the Chase owner, who is actively tanking came knocking for a JJ/Chase swap.

He said "I thought the JJ+2/Chase swap was fair since you're contending and JJ's injury could linger.

I told him my team is 5-0 (also playing 2 rebuilders the next two weeks), and will survive JJ's 4-5 week injury. And said if they shut him down for the year, so be it. I'm not paying a 2nd on top of JJ when I don't think his long-term outlook has changed. Told him if he's willing to do the RB swap, I'll do it. And if not, no worries but I'll hold because I wouldn't add much more than that. I think the deal I offered is mutually beneficial considering JJ helps him shed points, and he gets an additional pick.

He thought I was crazy to have Breece/Gibbs even close, which I understand but as I told him, Gibbs still possesses the elite ceiling I drafted him for, and I'm not scared off by a few weeks. He said cool, let me think about it and get back to you.

His final counter was:

for
Chase + Breece + Pickens

(He's tried to sell me Pickens for several months. I personally haven't been a believer, still am not, and have Aiyuk significantly higher).

I would imagine this forum will tell me I'm crazy because of the Gibbs/Hall stance. I already declined but....thoughts?
I think this is a preference trade. Just pick the pieces you like best. Personally, I prefer JJ side.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:57 pm

BabyChark23 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:45 pm

His final counter was:

for
Chase + Breece + Pickens

I think this is a preference trade. Just pick the pieces you like best. Personally, I prefer JJ side.
JJ side on both offers?

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:50 pm

Prison_Mike wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:57 pm
BabyChark23 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:45 pm

His final counter was:

for
Chase + Breece + Pickens

JJ side on both offers?
Yeah, the second offer is worse because, like you, I much prefer Aiyuk to Pickens. Both trades are within the realm of reasonable though. I just prefer the JJ side in both cases.

BucBuc
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BucBuc » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:53 pm

I’m holding
TEAM 1
12 Team Half PPR Superflex ..1Qb , 2Rb, 3Wr,1 Te, 2Flex 1Superflex 1Def
QBs: Dak,Goff, Burrow
RBS: Bijan,Pacheco,D.Harris,Fournette,GibsonDillon,Penny, Darell Williams,Chestnut,Ty Chandler,M
Ingram, Goodson, K.Ingram
WR:Lamb,Tee,DJM,AJB, Boyd
TE Goedert,
DEF Eagles, Broncos,

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:52 am

Overall seems like a lateral trade all around, and I always keep what I have in lateral trades as in I don't do them.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:22 am

I made the deal this morning.

Gave: JJ + Gibbs + '24 mid 2nd + '25 early/mid 2nd + '24 4th
Got: Chase + Breece

I agree that it's largely a lateral deal but on JJ/Chase, there's obviously no question that Chase puts me in a better position to keep winning over the next 4/5 weeks. And on Gibbs/Hall, two 2nds is the max I'd pay to move from Gibbs to Hall. And while I do still believe in Gibbs and think that 'difference-maker' is well within his range of outcomes, I'm not blind to the risk he carries given his slow start. At minimum, the market thinks Breece is the vastly superior asset, so paying 2 2nds (that I acquired Wednesday in exchange for Baker and Waller) felt reasonable
Team 1:
12-team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Herbert, Kyler, Baker, Jimmy G, Mariota, DTR
RB: Taylor, Saquon, Javonte, Conner, C.Evans, TDP
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Olave, Diggs, Diontae, Hollywood, MT, Shaheed
TE: Engram, Woods, Kraft
'24 picks: 1.08, 3.05

Team 2:
QB: Mahomes, Allen, Russ
RB: Breece, JT, Swift, Javonte, Mostert, Zamir
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Nico, Kupp, Hollywood, Kirk, MT
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Woods
'24 picks: 4.01

Team 3:
QB: Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Z.Wilson, DTR
RB: Saquon, Swift, Achane, Kamara, Ford
WR: Jefferson, AJB, ARSB, Nico, Diontae, OBJ
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Fant, Woods
'24 picks: 4.08, 4.12, 5.12

JJRules
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JJRules » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:00 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:22 am I made the deal this morning.

I absolutely love this for you.
10-team Superflex, 0.5 PPR, 15-man rosters, pseudo-dynasty
Keep any number of players (0-15), lose same number of draft picks
2010, 2015, 2020 - 🏆, 2013 - 🥈

QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, SF, FLEX, D/ST

QB: Dak, Watson
RB: Swift, Robinson Jr, Singletary, Brown, Hubbard, Zeus, Herbert
WR: Wilson, Olave, Pickens, Aiyuk
TE: Pitts, LaPorta
D/ST:

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:07 am

JJRules wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:00 am
Prison_Mike wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:22 am I made the deal this morning.

I absolutely love this for you.
Same. I too prefer JJ, but only slightly. I am concerned what Minn has for a QB next year and if he could dip until they find someone. I think he will be fine as he’s that talented, but I think he falls back closer to the group.

And I am on the side where I disagree Gibbs and a couple 2nds is equal to Breece. I have seen nothing to suggest that at this point personally. It’s still early for Gibbs, but I’d much rather take the one I’ve seen do it.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:11 am

I know I am Mr. Chase fanboy here, but who is JJ going to have at QB next year? He is awesome and he will be fine, but Chase is tied to Joe Burrow for likely his career and they are close enough in talent that is a big plus for Chase log term. Add in that you are acquiring Breece Hall in the deal. I think you easily won this trade.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

yellowdart2448
Starter
Starter

Postby yellowdart2448 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:16 am

I think I would have said no as well. Mainly because of the Aiyuk aspect. I really value him highly as someone who could be really good in that offense for a while. And to me, it's a big gap back to Pickens. As everyone else said, JJ and Chase are a wash. Sure most pick JJ, but that's because of his situation with Kirk which could be over as soon as this month. Kirk just feeds him; who's to say a rookie/FA is capable of doing it as well as Kirk? JJ could suffer a little in production for the next few seasons. Chase is tied to Burrow for basically his whole career so there is no worry there.

Hall over Gibbs of course, but you can't panic on Gibbs through just 5 games. The gap between them is probably smaller than the gap between Aiyuk and Pickens IMO.