When should you be re-evaluating your season?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
hingle
Captain
Captain

When should you be re-evaluating your season?

Postby hingle » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:38 am

Hi All,

Just wondering when you look to re-evaluate your season? I came into the year looking to continue my rebuild, not expecting a lot out of the season. Now I find myself at 2-2, which isn't an outstanding record, but I am currently 3rd in points scored by a healthy margin. Im also looking at a likely win next week due to facing a weaker team with some guys on bye week.

I feel like the right answer is to just keep seeing what happens, but a little part of me is wondering if I should be trying to get another piece or two and see what might happen.

Is there a specific point in the season that you decide to switch up your strategy, or do you just try and stick to your goal at the beginning of the season?

Current Roster

Jackson, Mayfield
Walker, Harris, Achane
Jefferson, Pittman, Watson, Doubs, Atwell, Sutton
Pitts
12 Team PPR, 6pt TDs
1QB, 2RBs, 3WRs, 1TE, 2Flex (W/R/T)
QB: Jackson, Mayfield, Pickett
RB: Barkley, Taylor, N. Harris, L. Murray, Scott
WR: Jefferson, K.Allen, Higgins, Diggs, Chark, Atwell
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Mayer(R) Tremble
2024 Picks: 1.05, 3.05, 4.05/4.09

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: When should you be re-evaluating your season?

Postby Gator Sens » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:46 am

I usually take a hard look at my team after weeks 5-6. I feel by then, some of the anomalies of the early season is either behind us or they are just hard facts and a season long trend. I feel this season has been one of the strangest I can remember in a long time and putting up points seems more and more difficult week to week. Usually by the halfway point of the fantasy season you can tell if your build is ready to make a run or if some of the points are unlikely to continue. Looking at your build, Harris and Achane are major question marks. Harris has been up and mostly down for a season + now and Achane has exploded onto the scene. Mostert fell flat last week which may be a good sign for Achane but that still feels like a RBBC approach currently. Based on the 3 WR format, I am not sure you have the WRs to really push for a tile now. I think Watson and Pittman would need to be a lot more consistent. Overall, I think your team is a playoff team but not an out and out contender and I would not make any all in moves. See how the next couple of weeks go and maybe that changes one way or the other?

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:29 am

The worst spot to be is in the middle. Go all in or reset for next year. Usually teams make that call too late. I'd say by now you should have an idea if you are a true contender or not. I don't know your leagues, but I'd be pretty nervous with your lack of depth.

If you want to contend, I think you need to upgrade your RB3(Harris), WR2 (Watson, Sutton, and Pittman are all ok, but I'd want a sure thing), and TE1 spots(Pitts is a future play, almost unusable for contenders)...plus pick up some more consistent flex options (Sutton, Doubs, Atwell worry me a little.)

If you want to retool, sell Harris and Achane and maybe even Walker. Try to lock in a top 1-2 pick with your own pick and get another 1st or two to build RBs later.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:11 am

If you've overachieved, it's almost assuredly because you have many players who have far exceeded their expectations so far. Your question isn't really whether or not to buy or sell. Rather, your question is how likely it is for those players to continue to play above their expectations. If that's realistic / likely, then you could consider buying. If not, then I would definitely NOT push for this year.

In your case, I think your team is riddled with over-performers (Achane, Pittman, Jefferson even, Doubs). And some underperformers. At the moment, I'm not convinced that they can all keep it up. I could wait and see, but I would definitely wouldn't be buying. I'd even consider moving one or more of their over-performers...
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Mitchell ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), E Moore ('25), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $102

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

hingle
Captain
Captain

Postby hingle » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:37 am

Ive got a few of my guys on the trade block, Harris, Achane and Pittman, in hopes that I can either take advantage of their current success or their underperformance.

There are a few teams in the league that have been tanking since the beginning of the year, and with my current points I doubt I would be able to catch up to them for an early pick. If I had to guess I would say I would likely end up with a mid 1st if I shed some guys and just road the year out.

I agree that I doubt I am going to be a true competitor this year. Ill work on trying to flip some guys for either picks or consolidate a few guys into an upgrade.

Thanks for the insight
12 Team PPR, 6pt TDs

hingle
Captain
Captain

Postby hingle » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:31 am

Looking to move some guys and keep rebuilding for next year.

Im working with an owner and he has offered an Early 2024 2nd (it has potential to be 2.01) for Doubs. Im just waiting for the offer on MFL.

Also wondering if moving Achane for LaPorta makes sense. If Achane is the real deal he will really help me out next year.

Just looking to see what I can get for Najae and Pittman.
12 Team PPR, 6pt TDs

heydangle
All Pro
All Pro

Postby heydangle » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:59 am

Always be evaluating

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:55 am

heydangle wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:59 am Always be evaluating
Agreed. My opinion on players and my team can change week to week. Don’t paint yourself into a corner by having too rigid of a game plan. Be flexible and ride the value waves.