The Official Brock Purdy Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: PSA: Purdy has now overtaken Lance on KTC

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:03 am

The best part is the whiners blew their chance to win a superbowl or two with their trade up for Lance. Who knows what those three 1st round pick players could have done for them when they lost to the chiefs, Rams and Eagles. Instead they were sitting on the bench in the form of an underdone qb.

It was a strange pick from the beginning. The team was ready to compete for it all and they chose a project qb. Weird.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:16 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:03 am The best part is the whiners blew their chance to win a superbowl or two with their trade up for Lance. Who knows what those three 1st round pick players could have done for them when they lost to the chiefs, Rams and Eagles. Instead they were sitting on the bench in the form of an underdone qb.

It was a strange pick from the beginning. The team was ready to compete for it all and they chose a project qb. Weird.
If Lance was the real deal, they would have had to plan future cap space, which would not have allowed them to sign Hargrove and/or Deebo and/or Bosa, etc. It all balances out.

Besides, if you look at first round draft picks the Niners have made over the last 7 years or whenever Lynch took over, it's all been absolute trash. They would have messed up another way.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:15 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:03 am The best part is the whiners blew their chance to win a superbowl or two with their trade up for Lance. Who knows what those three 1st round pick players could have done for them when they lost to the chiefs, Rams and Eagles. Instead they were sitting on the bench in the form of an underdone qb.

Wonder how they would have been doing with Mac Jones instead of lance. I still think when they made that move up they were having discussions about lance and Jones. Probably were happy with either and expected jets to take one of them at 2 (thus the early move up).

When both were available I feel like the front office and the coach wanted different guys and the front office won that discussion.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:30 am

abloom wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:15 am

Wonder how they would have been doing with Mac Jones instead of lance. I still think when they made that move up they were having discussions about lance and Jones. Probably were happy with either and expected jets to take one of them at 2 (thus the early move up).

When both were available I feel like the front office and the coach wanted different guys and the front office won that discussion.
This checks out. I remember the strong rumors of Mac to SF at 3. He definitely seemed like Jimmy G+ as a prospect, who they were doing more than fine with aside from his health.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:27 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:16 am

If Lance was the real deal, they would have had to plan future cap space, which would not have allowed them to sign Hargrove and/or Deebo and/or Bosa, etc. It all balances out.

Besides, if you look at first round draft picks the Niners have made over the last 7 years or whenever Lynch took over, it's all been absolute trash. They would have messed up another way.
I guess so. But Nick Bosa was one of them. Blind squirrel, broken clock. One premium player could have made the difference.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:34 am

We'll find out with purdy mouth. They seem to have lucked out with him. Although dcs around the league might have a different opinion after getting some tape on him. However if they can run the ball the qb doesn't really have to do much and purdy seems to be able to do exactly what they want.
Will be an interesting season.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:04 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:34 am

We'll find out with purdy mouth. They seem to have lucked out with him. Although dcs around the league might have a different opinion after getting some tape on him. However if they can run the ball the qb doesn't really have to do much and purdy seems to be able to do exactly what they want.
I think it comes down to how Purdy improves as a passer. He was nothing special last year, but he did have a great team and coach around him.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:37 am

abloom wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:04 am
Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:34 am

I think it comes down to how Purdy improves as a passer. He was nothing special last year, but he did have a great team and coach around him.
He just had to beat this out. He played well within the scheme. It will be interesting to see how it goes, with the lack of OTA's etc., and injury. I wonder how much rope he gets if he struggles early. I expect them to try and run and make some easy throw play designs until he's got his feet wet a bit more.

https://twitter.com/SwiftO76003509/stat ... 2074696091
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:07 am

We will see how this turns out. Declaring someone's career Dead on Arrival at age 23 with what 4 games under his belt is not the smartest idea. If you want to shy away from him fantasy wise, I can understand that. But, you don't bet against someone with his mental makeup. This is why he was drafted so highly in the first place. Let's see if he puts it together. He's fantasy irrelevant besides SF at the moment, but his career isn't over.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:12 am

jman3134 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:07 am We will see how this turns out. Declaring someone's career Dead on Arrival at age 23 with what 4 games under his belt is not the smartest idea. If you want to shy away from him fantasy wise, I can understand that. But, you don't bet against someone with his mental makeup. This is why he was drafted so highly in the first place. Let's see if he puts it together. He's fantasy irrelevant besides SF at the moment, but his career isn't over.
Don't think anyone has declared his career over, but his outlook has massively shifted from the time he was drafted. What's your outlook for him? Mine is career backup/journeyman QB. I think that's a pretty realistic outlook at this point. Betting on him being a long term starter wouldn't be smart.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:13 am

jman3134 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:07 am We will see how this turns out. Declaring someone's career Dead on Arrival at age 23 with what 4 games under his belt is not the smartest idea. If you want to shy away from him fantasy wise, I can understand that. But, you don't bet against someone with his mental makeup. This is why he was drafted so highly in the first place. Let's see if he puts it together. He's fantasy irrelevant besides SF at the moment, but his career isn't over.
In fairness, there are those of us that declared his career DOA on draft day. He just doesn't have the skills as he stands to succeed in the NFL. He will find a new home and will rinse and repeat.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:17 am

murphysxm wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:13 am
In fairness, there are those of us that declared his career DOA on draft day. He just doesn't have the skills as he stands to succeed in the NFL. He will find a new home and will rinse and repeat.
I'm not sure what to make of the being drafted that high for his mental make up, either. Teams had limited access to players that year, due to COVID, I believe. So the process was even more difficult. He has the mental makeup of someone who goes out and throws bills at strippers after losing to the worst team in the league, after his first start, too. IDK. I have no idea who Lance is a person, but as a football player, he isn't good, in terms of NFL level play, and really has an uphill battle to relevancy. It's pretty damning that they spent so much capital on him and here we are, 3 years in, and he not only can't get on the field, but can't even play well enough day in, day out, to be the backup.

If he ends up being a long term starter, I'd be shocked, but I wouldn't be upset. It would be a cool story. Just not one I'm expecting or counting on happening.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:19 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:12 am
Don't think anyone has declared his career over, but his outlook has massively shifted from the time he was drafted. What's your outlook for him? Mine is career backup/journeyman QB. I think that's a pretty realistic outlook at this point. Betting on him being a long term starter wouldn't be smart.
I believe he is a long term starter. I already bet on it, so it is a sunk cost at this point. I have 35 roster spots plus 2 IRs, so I am not losing any sleep holding him. With that said, his reads have not been there and this isn't anything new. Last year it was the same situation, and I have actually seen some incremental improvements. That said, he is still a ways away from becoming what I envision he will be. As I alluded to earlier, I would take this season as an L, and expect him to get reps next year for someone's squad. If he gets the reps, I believe he will become something. Time will tell.

Why do I believe this? His processing speed is fine. His problems are the hesitancy, which is basically timing with receivers, as well as the split second decision making from the pocket - specifically when it comes to knowing when to take off. He missed so many obvious open field carries this preseason alone. I think a lot of that is mental, revolving around his injury the year before. I think getting out of SanFran and all the talk/pressure surrounding his draft status should serve him well and enable him to develop under the radar as he did in high school/his season in college.
Last edited by jman3134 on Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:24 am

jman3134 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:19 am
I believe he is a long term starter.
I can't envision this scenario, but I am wrong a lot
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:54 pm

jman3134 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:07 amWe will see how this turns out. Declaring someone's career Dead on Arrival at age 23 with what 4 games under his belt is not the smartest idea.
I agree, but we have to look at this from a fantasy prospective. I would argue that the best dynasty players are the ones who recognize when someone is about to be great value, and when someone is about to sink to obscurity.

If I was in a SF and I had extra space to rent, sure I'd lowball the Lance owner and let it pan out. In every other situation, I would have bailed a long time ago.

Don't chase good money after bad. Sell now and be done imo.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134