General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: PSA: Purdy has now overtaken Lance on KTC

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:32 pm

jman3134 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:50 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:45 am
jman3134 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:38 am Watched the whole video and it feels like an overreaction. He lost his job to Purdy so we likely won't get much of a test, but that film is not the death knell of his career. He will be afforded opportunities either in SF or otherwise.

Perspective: game 1 of the preseason after coming off a knee injury week 1 of the regular season and redshirting the season before. He hasn't seen game action in how many years?
He's 3 years in, and it looks like he can't read simple concepts. I am no so sure he'll be afforded starter reps. He'll have to earn it elsewhere, IMO. He's in year 3, so nobody is going to likely move much of anything for a 1 year trial (his contract will be up after year 4, because nobody in their right minds would pick up his 5th year option).
A lot of the criticism of going for check downs could be that is what he was gameplanned to do. The criticisms were valid, but one of the major plays JT was critical of (where he went for I think an out route on a cover 2), the tight end moves off his route instead of planting. Doesn't help that the pass pro was below garbage and he was out of rhythm as a result. Impossible to succeed without reps to make these mistakes and get timing right. I think this could very well be rust from 3 years off basically/not trusting 3rd string receivers. We will see how he does the rest of the preseason. I'm open to being wrong.
I agree that his pass blocking wasn't the best and some other players made questionable routes at times. But there's at least 3 times where Lance is staring down an open receiver and doesn't throw the ball. It doesn't matter if that's Aiyuk or Michael Strachan, you have to throw to wide open guys.

I don't buy that the 49ers gameplanned Lance to check the ball down in preseason either... this guy needs reps and he's playing very slow and missing wide open guys right now. Maybe it gets better but he was not good in this game

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:39 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:32 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:45 am

He's 3 years in, and it looks like he can't read simple concepts. I am no so sure he'll be afforded starter reps. He'll have to earn it elsewhere, IMO. He's in year 3, so nobody is going to likely move much of anything for a 1 year trial (his contract will be up after year 4, because nobody in their right minds would pick up his 5th year option).
A lot of the criticism of going for check downs could be that is what he was gameplanned to do. The criticisms were valid, but one of the major plays JT was critical of (where he went for I think an out route on a cover 2), the tight end moves off his route instead of planting. Doesn't help that the pass pro was below garbage and he was out of rhythm as a result. Impossible to succeed without reps to make these mistakes and get timing right. I think this could very well be rust from 3 years off basically/not trusting 3rd string receivers. We will see how he does the rest of the preseason. I'm open to being wrong.
I agree that his pass blocking wasn't the best and some other players made questionable routes at times. But there's at least 3 times where Lance is staring down an open receiver and doesn't throw the ball. It doesn't matter if that's Aiyuk or Michael Strachan, you have to throw to wide open guys.

I don't buy that the 49ers gameplanned Lance to check the ball down in preseason either... this guy needs reps and he's playing very slow and missing wide open guys right now. Maybe it gets better but he was not good in this game
You don't game plan check downs. They are check downs for a reason. You're primary read is ALWAYS the game plan, that's why it's your primary read. If it's not there, you go through your progression, until your check down. Lance chose to not pull the trigger on open throws on his primary reads and checked down.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:41 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:39 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:32 pm

You don't game plan check downs. They are check downs for a reason. You're primary read is ALWAYS the game plan, that's why it's your primary read. If it's not there, you go through your progression, until your check down. Lance chose to not pull the trigger on open throws on his primary reads and checked down.
Exactly

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:00 pm

Maybe I used the wrong terminology. I meant that maybe the coaching staff is telling him to heir on the side of caution and go to the 2nd read (check down) quicker and he was in his own head. Looked like he was out of rhythm most of the night with the pocket pressure.

Definitely agree with you and JT that he turned down some easy looks.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:40 am

This is insane. I didn't realize Lance only threw 99 passes in HS. This is new news to me. At this point, the idea he just needs more reps is likely way too late. He needed that for years, and didn't get it, with the COVID year, not playing enough in college, barely throwing in HS.

Including, NFL pre-season. Lance has thrown 591 passes in game action since 2016. That's just insane. I really don't think you can make up for that lack of experience at this stage of the game and become a franchise NFL QB, or even a long term starter.

https://twitter.com/WTFstats/status/1691863222901739568
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:46 am

Like I said, he has taken like 3 years off from football. That's why I would at least give it a couple more preseason games to let him shake off the rust.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:52 am

jman3134 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:46 am Like I said, he has taken like 3 years off from football. That's why I would at least give it a couple more preseason games to let him shake off the rust.
In college and HS combined the threw about 400 passes, in 5 years. There really hasn't been any point where he's had enough game time.

I guess what I am trying to say is this. He's not still trying to learn how to play QB in the NFL. He's still trying to learn how to play QB.........IN the NFL. I just can't see how that's going to work.

They will no doubt give him some pre-season time, but I don't think he's going to be able to become a franchise/long term starter, regardless of that.
Janiel Dones Truther

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:55 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:52 am
jman3134 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:46 am Like I said, he has taken like 3 years off from football. That's why I would at least give it a couple more preseason games to let him shake off the rust.
In college and HS combined the threw about 400 passes, in 5 years. There really hasn't been any point where he's had enough game time.

I guess what I am trying to say is. He's not still trying to learn how to play QB in the NFL. He's still trying to learn how to play QB.........IN the NFL. I just can't see how that's going to work.
I remember seeing a study with games started in college correlating a little with NFL success. Basically the QB needed to play in a minimum amount of games and success rate went up. Idk if it's been updated or holds a ton of weight but Lance would be well below that line.

I fooled myself into drafting the black box prospect but I'm glad I got out early

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:10 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:55 am
I remember seeing a study with games started in college correlating a little with NFL success. Basically the QB needed to play in a minimum amount of games and success rate went up. Idk if it's been updated or holds a ton of weight but Lance would be well below that line.

I fooled myself into drafting the black box prospect but I'm glad I got out early
This is one of the reasons why every now and then you see a QB outside the 1st round become a successful, long-term starter

Derek Carr (three-year starter at Fresno)
Russell Wilson (four-year starter at NCSU and Wisconsin) - ACC/Big 10
Kirk Cousins (three-year starter at Michigan State) - Big 10
Dak Prescott (three-year starter at Ole Miss) - SEC
Jalen Hurts (three-year starter at Alabama and Oklahoma) - SEC/Big 12
Brock Purdy (four-year starter at Iowa State) - Big 12

Having the experience gets you in the door, especially if you've done it in a major conference.

Lance is trying to be a QB who overcomes inexperience and does so coming from playing against weak competition in college. It's very, very improbable.

RoyalPalmer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RoyalPalmer » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:37 am

This probably isn't the best spot to put this question but I'm very curious.

Would you rather own Zach Wilson or Try Lance right now?
Wilson is obviously not going to be a starter this year unless ARod has an injury. Lance has a chance to be traded to a QB needy team if SF feels confident in Purdy + Darnold.

But let's face it both QBs paths to becoming a starter is murky.

So would you rather rely on Lance getting traded to a team who develops him and gives him reps (Minnesota is brought up, maybe Seattle) or would you rather have Wilson who is learning from an all time great and could take over a well built team in another season or two.

Whose is riskier now?
12 team, .5PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1 SuperFlex, 25 Total (Startup)
QB: Purdy, Penix, Zach Wilson, Hendon Hooker, Aidan O'Connell, Stetson Bennett, Trubisky
RB: Bijan Robinson, KeAndre Miller, Tank Bigsby, Jordan Mason, Kevin Harris
WR: Malik Nabers, Brian Thomas Jr., Ladd McConkey, Jameson Williams, Rashod Bateman, Khalil Shakir, Michael Wilson, Darnell Mooney, Kadarius Toney, DJ Chark, Slayton
TE LaPorta, Kincaid

2025 1st
2025 2nd
2025 3rd
———

QB: Josh Allen, Goff, Darnold, AOC, Jimmy G
RB: Mixon, Kamara, Javonte Williams, Charbonnet, Prince, Jordon Mason, Ingram (AZ)
WR: Ja'Marr Chase, Keenan Allen, Drake London, Brandon Aiyuk, Elijah Moore, Marvin Jones, Paris Campbell, Donovon Peoples-Jones
TE: Kincaid, Noah Fant, Likely

2024 2nd
2024 3rd

12 team, .5PPR, TE Premium, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1 SuperFlex, 25 Total (Startup)

81-
Captain
Captain

Postby 81- » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:40 am

RoyalPalmer wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:37 am This probably isn't the best spot to put this question but I'm very curious.

Wilson is obviously not going to be a starter this year unless ARod has an injury. Lance has a chance to be traded to a QB needy team if SF feels confident in Purdy + Darnold.

So would you rather rely on Lance getting traded to a team who develops him and gives him reps (Minnesota is brought up, maybe Seattle) or would you rather have Wilson who is learning from an all time great and could take over a well built team in another season or two.

Whose is riskier now?
If I had to pick, I'd take Wilson. Learning from Rodgers will be good for him.
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:48 am

81- wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:40 am
RoyalPalmer wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:37 am This probably isn't the best spot to put this question but I'm very curious.

Whose is riskier now?
I want to agree, but that's a tough choice.

From what we saw Wilson was terrible. Maturity wise he seems like another Johnny M with a smug attitude.
Lance seems like a guy that want to prove himself and is pushing himself to get better, but just can't.

Give me the guy that wants to be better.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:52 am

He hasn't played enough in his career to have gotten rusty in the first place. :lol:

RoyalPalmer wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:37 am Would you rather own Zach Wilson or Try Lance right now?
Wilson for two reasons:

1) As 81- noted above, learning from Rodgers can only be a positive (they've both talked about that already).
2) Almost by default given this thread, if it's dart throw Lance or ____, it almost simply has to be _____. In this case, that happens to be Zach Wilson.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Brooks ('27), Wright ('27), Guerendo ('26), Mitchell ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), Nabers ('28), Worthy ('28), Polk ('28), Franklin ('28), E Moore ('25), M Thomas ('25), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $201

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): Sinnott ('28), All ('28), Schrader ('26), A Reed ('28)

RoyalPalmer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RoyalPalmer » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:52 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:48 am
81- wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:40 am

Whose is riskier now?
I want to agree, but that's a tough choice.

From what we saw Wilson was terrible. Maturity wise he seems like another Johnny M with a smug attitude.
Lance seems like a guy that want to prove himself and is pushing himself to get better, but just can't.

Give me the guy that wants to be better.

I obviously have some bias here because I bought Z Wilson after G Wilson was drafted as part of my rebuild. But watching Hard Knocks (I know) makes me feel that Zach has been pretty humbled from last season and the acquisition of Rodgers. He seems to be treating the preseason more like his regular season and that those wins will be very important from him. All comments from the coaching staff and other players from around the league seem like they are rooting for the kid and want to see him have another chance.

Still a hard pick for me since both are probably more likely to be backups than starters. Both have tremendous upside and bottomless floors.
12 team, .5PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1 SuperFlex, 25 Total (Startup)
QB: Purdy, Penix, Zach Wilson, Hendon Hooker, Aidan O'Connell, Stetson Bennett, Trubisky
RB: Bijan Robinson, KeAndre Miller, Tank Bigsby, Jordan Mason, Kevin Harris
WR: Malik Nabers, Brian Thomas Jr., Ladd McConkey, Jameson Williams, Rashod Bateman, Khalil Shakir, Michael Wilson, Darnell Mooney, Kadarius Toney, DJ Chark, Slayton
TE LaPorta, Kincaid

2025 1st
2025 2nd
2025 3rd
———

QB: Josh Allen, Goff, Darnold, AOC, Jimmy G
RB: Mixon, Kamara, Javonte Williams, Charbonnet, Prince, Jordon Mason, Ingram (AZ)
WR: Ja'Marr Chase, Keenan Allen, Drake London, Brandon Aiyuk, Elijah Moore, Marvin Jones, Paris Campbell, Donovon Peoples-Jones
TE: Kincaid, Noah Fant, Likely

2024 2nd
2024 3rd

12 team, .5PPR, TE Premium, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1 SuperFlex, 25 Total (Startup)

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:27 pm

Give me Wilson also but I feel gross even saying that lol