General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: PSA: Purdy has now overtaken Lance on KTC

Postby Prison_Mike » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:57 pm

murphysxm wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:41 pm
Prison_Mike wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:40 pm
moishetreats wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:05 pm I think there is one viable possibility that we're missing:

Purdy is the starter and potentially has a long leash because his only QB competition is Lance and Darnold.
This is where I now stand, and wish I'd reached this conclusion sooner. I've still been fairly optimistic as of late that Trey will get his shot somewhere. But man...that pre-season game was rough. Even some of the completions were just ugly.

Had I just looked at the stat line, I would've thought "okay he had the bad turnover-worthy-play-turned-TD, but aside from that he looks like he had a decent game - 66% completion, 111.0 RTG, no picks - But then I actually watched it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kySoJcsPANo)...and idk, I think I'm out. Maybe I'll still buy if super cheap, but as of now I'm glad I was able to get out at a decent price a couple months ago.

Trey Lance Week-1-Starter over the course of his career - Over or Under 0.5?
Trey has never looked the part to me, Purdy is not a superstar, but he is their best option
Trey's arm has always concerned me, but I thought "Top-3 pick + will score points because of his rushing ability"

Then I started hearing reports that he's not as fast/agile as they'd like. So I went and looked at his college highlights, and saw a lot of long runs where he'd break a weak arm-tackle and run 40 yards for a TD. I'd notice that he was far too physical of a runner, he was reliant on that in college and would rarely slide.

The warning signs have been there and I ignored them lol. I still hope he has success, but I agree with others that he'll need a change of scenery to even have a chance of that

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:02 pm

Prison_Mike wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:57 pm
murphysxm wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:41 pm
Prison_Mike wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:40 pm

This is where I now stand, and wish I'd reached this conclusion sooner. I've still been fairly optimistic as of late that Trey will get his shot somewhere. But man...that pre-season game was rough. Even some of the completions were just ugly.

Had I just looked at the stat line, I would've thought "okay he had the bad turnover-worthy-play-turned-TD, but aside from that he looks like he had a decent game - 66% completion, 111.0 RTG, no picks - But then I actually watched it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kySoJcsPANo)...and idk, I think I'm out. Maybe I'll still buy if super cheap, but as of now I'm glad I was able to get out at a decent price a couple months ago.

Trey Lance Week-1-Starter over the course of his career - Over or Under 0.5?
Trey has never looked the part to me, Purdy is not a superstar, but he is their best option
Trey's arm has always concerned me, but I thought "Top-3 pick + will score points because of his rushing ability"

Then I started hearing reports that he's not as fast/agile as they'd like. So I went and looked at his college highlights, and saw a lot of long runs where he'd break a weak arm-tackle and run 40 yards for a TD. I'd notice that he was far too physical of a runner, he was reliant on that in college and would rarely slide.

The warning signs have been there and I ignored them lol. I still hope he has success, but I agree with others that he'll need a change of scenery to even have a chance of that
Noticed this too. I felt he would get hurt at the next level the way he ran.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:52 pm

Anteaters wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:52 pm ...
Wait, or were you talking about the CFL or USFL or XFL?
or CLE

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:24 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:27 pm If anyone is watching this preseason game, Lance has not improved and perhaps has regressed. Christ what a bleep show. Throwing across his body, putting the ball in the hands of defenders repeatedly, can't feel pressure, makes more poor decisions in a drive than Garoppolo did in a whole game..... wow. Sacked 4 times.

I'm so frustrated with that trade to move up. They had no idea who they wanted to draft but knew they wanted a top QB, then take a guy with the least amount of experience from a small school.

Disgusting performance.
Just getting through all of it now, saw a few plays before, but not much. Thought you were being a bit over the top perhaps, but nope. You're right. He can't read the field pre or post snap at all. That's part of the issue with the sacks. If he understands the coverage at all pre snap, he has players open. Instead, sack, or near INT, making the wrong read, or has to scramble.

He's not all that athletic or mobile, for what he was supposed to be, either. He's not Lamar, or Richardson, or Hurts, or even Allen level mover. There's no doubt if he was starting, he'd completely fall on his face. He's been in this system for 2 plus years and can't figure it out. Imagine him getting traded to another team, and immediately starting in a system he's far less familiar with, and less QB friendly.

Is it worse to be a flop like Leaf, because he didn't practice, didn't care etc., and sucked on the field partly due to that, or to just not get it, and not get onto the field because of that? The biggest busts played poorly, but Lance may never even get a year or two to start, because he's not even good enough to.

He was a 1 year player at an FCS program. I think it's quite possible that the jump was just too great is so many areas, from lack of experience and lack of top end competition. Who knows, but this is pretty unprecedented, when a guy who cost 3 first rounders never even really gets a year or two. The scouts just got it wrong, it seems like.

So much of it is projecting, and it just didn't click for Lance, and his opportunity is all but gone. They can't trade him for anything, and honestly, who would want him for anything significant at this point?

The supposed upside is just not there. His ceiling is a lot lower than people thought, and the floor is really low.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:35 pm

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:34 am

If a team were to trade a late draft pick for Lance, to see if he could maybe be salvaged, how would the salary and cap implications work?

Looks like his base salary is only a mil the next 2 years and roster bonuses of 2.8 and 4.2 mil, but he got 22 mil signing bonus. So would a new team only have to pay him a the base and roster bonus in money (3.7 and 5.3 mil), but would also inherit the cap hit of 10 mil a year?

With Cousins in a contract year, I remember thinking why not have the Vikings trade a late pick for lance and have him ride the pine for a year and see if things can be fixed, but I had forgotten about the money issue as well
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:54 am

hockeyBjj wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:34 am If a team were to trade a late draft pick for Lance, to see if he could maybe be salvaged, how would the salary and cap implications work?

Looks like his base salary is only a mil the next 2 years and roster bonuses of 2.8 and 4.2 mil, but he got 22 mil signing bonus. So would a new team only have to pay him a the base and roster bonus in money (3.7 and 5.3 mil), but would also inherit the cap hit of 10 mil a year?

With Cousins in a contract year, I remember thinking why not have the Vikings trade a late pick for lance and have him ride the pine for a year and see if things can be fixed, but I had forgotten about the money issue as well
A) I don't know the implications, I've been curious of this too. But I have to imagine the money is the biggest reason he hasn't been moved

B) While I like the MIN move in theory, I also think sitting on the bench is the last thing Trey needs. If he's ever going to improve, he's gonna need live reps, of which we just watched him struggle with in pre-season. Throughout the off-season, I thought his best-case scenario (once it became clear that Purdy would be their starter, they brought in Darnold, etc.) would be going to a place like HOU, CAR, maybe TB...a place where there would be little QB competition and the team isn't going anywhere anyway, could use the year to see if they have something in him. But that ship has sailed for any team that just drafted a QB. Maybe he'd be a trade target if a QB goes down mid-season?

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:34 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:35 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRd5ShRVpzo

JT's break down.
This guy stinks

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:35 am

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:34 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:35 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRd5ShRVpzo

JT's break down.
This guy stinks
How so?

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:37 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:35 am

JT's break down.
This guy stinks
How so?
Lance, not JT

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:38 am

Watched the whole video and it feels like an overreaction. He lost his job to Purdy so we likely won't get much of a test, but that film is not the death knell of his career. He will be afforded opportunities either in SF or otherwise.

Perspective: game 1 of the preseason after coming off a knee injury week 1 of the regular season and redshirting the season before. He hasn't seen game action in how many years?
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:45 am

jman3134 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:38 am Watched the whole video and it feels like an overreaction. He lost his job to Purdy so we likely won't get much of a test, but that film is not the death knell of his career. He will be afforded opportunities either in SF or otherwise.

Perspective: game 1 of the preseason after coming off a knee injury week 1 of the regular season and redshirting the season before. He hasn't seen game action in how many years?
He's 3 years in, and it looks like he can't read simple concepts. It's alarming, some of those misreads, and lack of awareness. Regardless of lack of game action, the fact he's not pulling the trigger on easy, wide open reads, displays a clear indicator the game is still too fast for him. I am no so sure he'll be afforded starter reps. Opportunity? Sure. He'll have to earn it elsewhere, IMO. He's in year 3, so nobody is going to likely move much of anything for a 1 year trial (his contract will be up after year 4, because nobody in their right minds would pick up his 5th year option).

I think Lance's trajectory is a backup QB at this point, or a guy who will fight for a starting job in a weak QB room, but little chance anybody brings him in as their clear plan as a starter at this point.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:50 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:45 am
jman3134 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:38 am Watched the whole video and it feels like an overreaction. He lost his job to Purdy so we likely won't get much of a test, but that film is not the death knell of his career. He will be afforded opportunities either in SF or otherwise.

He's 3 years in, and it looks like he can't read simple concepts. I am no so sure he'll be afforded starter reps. He'll have to earn it elsewhere, IMO. He's in year 3, so nobody is going to likely move much of anything for a 1 year trial (his contract will be up after year 4, because nobody in their right minds would pick up his 5th year option).
A lot of the criticism of going for check downs could be that is what he was gameplanned to do. The criticisms were valid, but one of the major plays JT was critical of (where he went for I think an out route on a cover 2), the tight end moves off his route instead of planting. Doesn't help that the pass pro was below garbage and he was out of rhythm as a result. Impossible to succeed without reps to make these mistakes and get timing right. I think this could very well be rust from 3 years off basically/not trusting 3rd string receivers. We will see how he does the rest of the preseason. I'm open to being wrong.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:24 pm

SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:37 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:35 am

This guy stinks