The Official Brock Purdy Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: PSA: Purdy has now overtaken Lance on KTC

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:51 am

hockeyBjj wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:42 am
hockeyBjj wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:57 am https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... ur-best-qb

From Shanahan himself:

Shanahan said the only question the 49ers had this offseason about Purdy was whether his injured elbow would heal in time for him to start Week One — not whether he’ll start if healthy, which he absolutely will.

“He’s been the starter since last year ended,” Shanahan said of Purdy. “He was always clearly our starter, but there were so many questions about his injury, how he’d come back from it, that we didn’t even know if he’d be ready for this year, so we had to prepare for everything else. I mean, Trey was the guy we gave the keys to last year, so we were definitely excited to have him in a situation [to play], and we also didn’t know if Brock would be back, so we needed someone to come in and at least compete with Trey, and give us a chance, because Trey was hurt last year, and just got cleared before OTAs. That’s why we brought Sam in here. And those guys have been competing their butts off, and I feel great playing with those guys. But like I told them, like I’ve said to media, like I said to everyone since Day 1, based on what Brock did on tape last year, it’s hard to beat that out in practice.”
Did anyone see the actual news from the head coach I put in here?
Yep, and I'm glad you're part of the team trying to keep this to on track for dynasty/fantasy.

I'm real surprised that Purdy could be the Week 1 starter. Not because of his talent or competition but because of the injury. I was considering buying him a few months ago under the assumption he'd miss at least a few weeks at the beginning. Regretting not "paying up" for him in SF.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:53 am

It is nice to see an actual fantasy football take in this thread. The sandbox has been appropriately peed in, let's move one
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:53 am

murphysxm wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:53 am It is nice to see an actual fantasy football take in this thread. The sandbox has been appropriately peed in, let's move one
That's exactly what I've been saying and I was burned at the stake for it.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:56 am

MFundercover wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:53 am
murphysxm wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:53 am It is nice to see an actual fantasy football take in this thread. The sandbox has been appropriately peed in, let's move one
That's exactly what I've been saying and I was burned at the stake for it.
No it is not exactly what you said.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:57 am

MFundercover wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:12 pm
That said yeah he has red flags and still has to prove it. He's a 7th round pick coming back from a serious injury and has struggled in camp. It is what it is.

The audacity! Must be a LANCE TRUTHER! Burn him alive!

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:58 am

MFundercover wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:57 am
MFundercover wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:12 pm
That said yeah he has red flags and still has to prove it. He's a 7th round pick coming back from a serious injury and has struggled in camp. It is what it is.

The audacity! Must be a LANCE TRUTHER! Burn him alive!
Thanks for moving on, since that is exactly what you said you were trying to do.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:03 pm

I tried to move on and discuss Lance poor performance yesterday, which hasn't really been discussed.

Instead somebody posted my Purdy take verbatim that spawned this entire argument and was cheered for it. It's a joke bro, of course I'm going to point it out and quote my post from a couple days ago that was deemed to be crimes against humanity.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:08 pm

MFundercover wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:03 pm of course
You finally stated something I agree with.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:24 pm

murphysxm wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:08 pm
MFundercover wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:03 pm of course
You finally stated something I agree with.
Everything I said in this thread is very agreeable. You just have some weird hate fetish with me.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:24 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:07 pmIt's not like Micah Parsons would have helped that D at all.
lol. Don't do that to me. I keep dreaming we redo that draft and take Parsons instead. Could you imagine? Ugh.
MFundercover wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:29 pmAll you people sold on Purdy and have seen enough didn't even know who he was this time last year.
Maybe the casual NFL fans didn't, but I sure did. I remember seeing him play his first preseason game against the Packers. I kept going "who the hell is this kid". I had completely forgotten he was the last pick in the draft or that he was even on the roster until that day. The rest of the preseason I was solely tuning in see more of Brock. Kid was electric. He entered the preseason as QB4 and in a time when most teams kept only 2 QBs, they chose to keep Purdy on the roster rather than to take a chance to lose him. Kid was amazing from the get go, and many 49er fans were hoping to see him on the field during the regular season at some point.

====================================================================

There's an excellent article on SI that fully explains the Purdy/Lance situation in SF, but mostly focuses on Purdy. Here's the link and below is an exert from that link of two future Hall of Famers talking about Purdy last year, prior to the preseason.

The 49ers had just wrapped up a walkthrough at the team facility the day before their 2022 preseason opener against the Packers. Brock Purdy, at that point, was a seventh-round, third-string rookie. He wasn’t even backing up Trey Lance and Jimmy Garoppolo yet, with Garoppolo exiled to a side field as the team worked to trade him. It was actually Lance and Nate Sudfeld he was behind. As such, shots to show what he had came few and far between.

Yet, Purdy managed to figure out he was making an impression. He got confirmation of it walking back into the Niners’ building that August day, trailing first-team All-Pro linebacker Fred Warner and first-team All-Pro tackle Trent Williams.

“Man, I can’t wait to watch Purdy play tomorrow,” Warner said to Williams.

Neither knew the then 22-year-old was right behind them. Purdy simply overheard it—and won’t soon forget it.

“So I was getting some guys’ attention,” Purdy said Tuesday, leaning back on a leather couch in the bowels of Levi’s Stadium. “Like, O.K., I’m doing something right.”
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:26 pm

hockeyBjj wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:42 am
hockeyBjj wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:57 am https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... ur-best-qb

From Shanahan himself:

Shanahan said the only question the 49ers had this offseason about Purdy was whether his injured elbow would heal in time for him to start Week One — not whether he’ll start if healthy, which he absolutely will.

“He’s been the starter since last year ended,” Shanahan said of Purdy. “He was always clearly our starter, but there were so many questions about his injury, how he’d come back from it, that we didn’t even know if he’d be ready for this year, so we had to prepare for everything else. I mean, Trey was the guy we gave the keys to last year, so we were definitely excited to have him in a situation [to play], and we also didn’t know if Brock would be back, so we needed someone to come in and at least compete with Trey, and give us a chance, because Trey was hurt last year, and just got cleared before OTAs. That’s why we brought Sam in here. And those guys have been competing their butts off, and I feel great playing with those guys. But like I told them, like I’ve said to media, like I said to everyone since Day 1, based on what Brock did on tape last year, it’s hard to beat that out in practice.”
Did anyone see the actual news from the head coach I put in here?
Thanks for that.

I think it corroborates what everyone here already knew. That Shanahan knew since the end of the 2022 postseason that Purdy was going to be his QB1 entering the 2023 season. Almost everyone realized that was the case, and it's nice that Shanahan spoke so clearly about it now.

Long live the Purdy!
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver, Waller
2023 semifinals loser

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:28 pm

And Lance is done in SF. His protection in the pocket in that preseason game was nearly a full second longer than the NFL average for last year, and he still looked confused and under pressure all game long. It was embarrassing.

He's done. I don't want him on the roster, and I don't think he'll ever make it as a starter in this league.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:40 pm

moishetreats wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:05 pm I think there is one viable possibility that we're missing:

Purdy is the starter and potentially has a long leash because his only QB competition is Lance and Darnold.
This is where I now stand, and wish I'd reached this conclusion sooner. I've still been fairly optimistic as of late that Trey will get his shot somewhere. But man...that pre-season game was rough. Even some of the completions were just ugly.

Had I just looked at the stat line, I would've thought "okay he had the bad turnover-worthy-play-turned-TD, but aside from that he looks like he had a decent game - 66% completion, 111.0 RTG, no picks - But then I actually watched it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kySoJcsPANo)...and idk, I think I'm out. Maybe I'll still buy if super cheap, but as of now I'm glad I was able to get out at a decent price a couple months ago.

Trey Lance Week-1-Starter over the course of his career - Over or Under 0.5?

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:41 pm

Prison_Mike wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:40 pm
moishetreats wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:05 pm I think there is one viable possibility that we're missing:

Purdy is the starter and potentially has a long leash because his only QB competition is Lance and Darnold.
This is where I now stand, and wish I'd reached this conclusion sooner. I've still been fairly optimistic as of late that Trey will get his shot somewhere. But man...that pre-season game was rough. Even some of the completions were just ugly.

Had I just looked at the stat line, I would've thought "okay he had the bad turnover-worthy-play-turned-TD, but aside from that he looks like he had a decent game - 66% completion, 111.0 RTG, no picks - But then I actually watched it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kySoJcsPANo)...and idk, I think I'm out. Maybe I'll still buy if super cheap, but as of now I'm glad I was able to get out at a decent price a couple months ago.

Trey Lance Week-1-Starter over the course of his career - Over or Under 0.5?
Trey has never looked the part to me, Purdy is not a superstar, but he is their best option

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:52 pm

Prison_Mike wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:40 pmTrey Lance Week-1-Starter over the course of his career - Over or Under 0.5?
Under, like beneath the San Andreas fault line.

Wait, or were you talking about the CFL or USFL or XFL?
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock