Daniel Jones

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Daniel Jones

Postby Ice » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:39 am

Anteaters wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:51 am I really hate the idea of franchise tagging Saquon or any other RB, because their window to earn (really only their first post-rookie contract) is so short. Either pay on an acceptable new deal, or let him go/trade him. With no WRs of reknown, probably a new start at QB, and a DEF that needs work, it's not like the G-men are planning on a deep run next season. They should either pay Saquon, or let another team pay him what he's worth. It's bad enough to trap him on a team that can't win with him - even worse to keep him on the tag while doing that.
I doubt they Franchise Saquon. They have a ton of Cap Space already and could get another 6.7 million if they cut the bust that is Golladay which may have been the worst contract they ever signed. I imagine they resign him to contract similar to what CMC got.

I could actually see them using a Non-exclusive Franchise Tag on Jones this season before any kind of tag on Barkley.

They have a ton of money so plenty of options for the team. The FA QB market isn't completely horrible but outside of Brady short term, Jones is the best available with Geno and Jimmy G close behind.

Should be interesting times for Giants fans.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:41 am

Anyone else worried about Daniel Jones injury history? This is the 1st year in Daniel Jones career he has played a full season.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:04 pm

Danny Dimes actually played smart this year for once, I’ll give him credit for that. But like mild said, they maximized his skill set and he only threw for 15 tds. Hard to buy into that long term.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:31 pm

Anteaters wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:11 am Feelings based takes. :lol:

Not personal, just business? Easy to say when it's not your business. When your boss cuts your pay and says "not personal, just business", you immediately hate the decision, lose respect for the person, and start looking for somewhere else to work. I know the CBA might make it less easy for SB to readily go somewhere else. But a tag might make him take off every game where he feel a twinge in a body part. Why risk your future earnings for a team that doesn't respect you?
Do you compare yourself to NFL players all the time, or only when it comes to contract and salary negotiations?

They don't live in our world. Their contracts aren't even remotely comparable to ours, and they are worked on near full-time by agents who do what's best for the client. It's not personal. It's business.

If the Giants want Saquon back in 2023, then he will be back in 2023.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:32 pm

mild wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:31 pm
Anteaters wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:11 am Feelings based takes. :lol:

Not personal, just business? Easy to say when it's not your business. When your boss cuts your pay and says "not personal, just business", you immediately hate the decision, lose respect for the person, and start looking for somewhere else to work. I know the CBA might make it less easy for SB to readily go somewhere else. But a tag might make him take off every game where he feel a twinge in a body part. Why risk your future earnings for a team that doesn't respect you?
Do you compare yourself to NFL players all the time, or only when it comes to contract and salary negotiations?

They don't live in our world. Their contracts aren't even remotely comparable to ours, and they are worked on near full-time by agents who do what's best for the client. It's not personal. It's business.

If the Giants want Saquon back in 2023, then he will be back in 2023.
You're a riot. I compared Saquon's situation to Keyshawn Johnson and Lamar Jackson and mentioned them by name. I'm surprised that someone with such an eye for detail like you missed that. Actually, I don't think you missed it. I think you're taking this discussion as a personal attack and trying to fire a personal attack back at me.

My bad. You win. I'll back off and keep you mild and happy. I'm definitely not trying to rile the mild.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:10 pm

So did Daniel Jones play himself into a decent extension this off season? Or is he gonna get tagged?

Giants tagging him to get another year to see if this is the real deal with Darbol or if he turns back into what he's shown the last couple seasons is probably the smartest move
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:29 pm

hockeyBjj wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:10 pm So did Daniel Jones play himself into a decent extension this off season? Or is he gonna get tagged?

Giants tagging him to get another year to see if this is the real deal with Darbol or if he turns back into what he's shown the last couple seasons is probably the smartest move
Giants fan here, and longtime Dimes poster in this thread. Lord, it's been a wild ride. So it's really frickin' tricky with Dimes this offseason, and it's going to be fascinating to watch unfold for all of us. The fanbase is definitely on pins and needles about it.

My best guess based on what I watched and what I've heard from the beat, is that they will attempt something in the range of a short-to-medium term deal with him, and somewhat dare him to test free agency. I think the idea is to not tie themselves to him long term, and to use him as a bridge QB - I imagine they'll shoot for a 3 year deal with an out after the 1st or 2nd year, or even just a 2 year deal with a 1st year out - if they can get away with it.

If he bolts, because somebody else opens up the chequebook for him - then so be it, they've already got Tyrod on a cheap contract, there are some other reclamation projects out there that could be interesting - and most of all, the coming draft has Caleb Williams and Quinn Ewers in it.

We've seen what Daniel Jones is without a Daboll-level of coaching. What they called this year was manufactured to the extreme, and very much utilised what he does best (rush, and throw with timing in the short/medium window). I've heard some analysts call it a "training wheels offense" and it's hard to argue with that. If he wants to bet on himself, and take a mega-contract elsewhere - then that's fully his right to do so, but he of all people will know that it's likely in his best interests to stay with Daboll, and that the grass isn't always greener elsewhere.

Using the franchise tag will be a last resort if I had to guess - that's a chunky price tag for one year of Daniel Jones (35m) especially considering we still aren't all-the-way done with digging out from Gettleman's foul contracts. I think they'd far prefer to use it on Saquon (10m) as that's a completely reasonable figure for the production of the player - a bargain, really.

Popcorn out, Dimes fans. It's gonna get interesting...

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:41 pm

I’d say Derrick Carr’s contract would make a solid model for Jones. Probably a smaller annual value, but the two years and then an out probably makes a lot of sense for the situation.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Buckhill Bombers
MVP
MVP

Postby Buckhill Bombers » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:40 pm

What round should he go in a SF dynasty?

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:22 pm

I was surprised when I searched and found this thread… that there wasn’t anything further after he signed his contract. Discussed in other threads I know, just was surprising.

I know all the hate (deserved an undeserved) and he was not good his first few seasons. But, we can all agree is was a dumpster and there is a reason for the coaching staff turnover.

Was the offense manufactured/gimicky? Maybe. Or maybe it’s just moving to the way Philly plays. The way the Bears play. Mobile QB who can be smart with the ball.

I traded for him in my 14 team 2 QB league after he signed his contract. The price was cheap enough IMO and I knew with Daboll and a fresh contract I had a few years of certainty. I think they’ve only helped him out the off season with the additions. Wan’dale is also coming back.

I went to watch some highlights and I was struck pretty immediately. Wan’dale missed most of the year. He was easily their best receiving option on paper to start the year. As the highlights are rolling…Rickie James, David Sills, somebody Myarick, Bellinger….

Isaiah Hodgins, who was cut during the year, wound up their #1 option. Kenny Golladay. Sterling Shephard.

Let’s give Jones a break here. What would have Tom Brady been able to do with those “weapons?”

They’ve added Parris Campbell, Hyatt, and Waller. Not going to win any receiving options poll by any stretch, but compared to practice squad guys of last year?! Wan’dale will be back I’m guessing early-mid season. Bellinger some time later.

Color me optimistic. I don’t think he’s the next Jalen Hurts or anything … but could he be 75-80-% of that? With the rushing upside and not taking hits, Daboll calling the plays, actual NFL talent as new options, and the fear of Barkley I think we need a change of viewpoint on him.

I was thinking of a trade to send him+ to move up in QB tiers but I just couldn’t do it. I could see them being even by years end.

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:59 pm

I like him. He put up QB1 numbers last year and still can be had for a low-end QB2 price. The problem is that very actually buy it. He’s a guy that many are really concerned about having as a QB2 in spite of last season. I think he’s likely a buy for most. He’ll probably end up outplaying most of the QB2 this season.
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:58 pm

Jones owners gotta hope Saquan shows up for the team week 1 in a good state of mind. If he feels devalued and holds out for several weeks I think Jones will look like the worst signing of the off-season.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:53 pm

thebeast wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:58 pm Jones owners gotta hope Saquan shows up for the team week 1 in a good state of mind. If he feels devalued and holds out for several weeks I think Jones will look like the worst signing of the off-season.
As a Giants fan? Good.

I think a lot of us felt like Saquon was carrying this team last year, not Jones. (I definitely felt this way)

Ultimately, if our QB requires a top-tier Running Back in order to execute an effective modern offense... then he's not a QB to build around, and that's something we should try to find out sooner than later.

For Saquon, I envision him skipping camp, and then reporting as late in the process as possible prior to Week 1. Good chance he's on limited snaps Week 1 as a result. Happy to be proven wrong, but that's how the tea leaves feel to me.

For the Jones contract: "worst signing of the off-season" won't be in play. The contract might look expensive, but in reality it's a 2 year trial that will count for 66mil against the cap. Put another way - that's 33mil a season, and then a contract out with pretty minimal cap hits in 2025/26. Reminder: the franchise tag for QB was 32mil this year, and will be much higher next year now that Lamar/Hurts/Jones (and maybe even Burrow and Herb) have signed.

So really, it's just a market deal - with a chance for Jones to earn the true bacon in the deal (46.5mil in 2026!) if he proves worthy of it over the next 2 or 3 seasons.

"We're on to Cincinatti."

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:37 pm

^ $33 mil a season…..

Giants could have had Saquan locked up for three years for 36mil with just 30 guaranteed Im sure. Seems stupid this didn’t get done when you view it in terms of Jones’ contract.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:13 pm

thebeast wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:37 pm ^ $33 mil a season…..

Giants could have had Saquan locked up for three years for 36mil with just 30 guaranteed Im sure. Seems stupid this didn’t get done when you view it in terms of Jones’ contract.
Weird take, but ok.

"When you view it in terms of Jones' contract"

Please find me anyone who thinks that RB contracts should be viewed through the prism of QB contracts.

If we've hit on a QB, then we've found our answer until 2030 (and maybe further) at the hardest, least replaceable position in the game.

We are paying roughly "Top 12 QB money" ie. top 33% split to find out if he's that answer. By total contract, what we've given Jones is closer to "Derek Carr" money than it is to Kyler money. It is a reasonable contract for the position *especially if* you think the player might have long term upside.

And crucially - it has the 2025 out.

I don't know why you're comping a QB contract to a RB contract... but let's be realistic, Saquon has (best case) around 3 years of prime play left, just by the averages of career length at RB - at potentially the *most* replaceable position in the sport. (Superbowl Chompian Isaiah Pacheco says hello from the 7th round)

Feel free to explain your logic here further, though. 8-)