Has there been another player THIS productive who's never been worth a 1st??

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Has there been another player THIS productive who's never been worth a 1st??

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:09 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:58 am I think there are definitely certain (productive) players who people just never feel good about trading a 1st for and Lockett has been one of those guys for the last five years. I think it's a mix of perception and archetype.
I do agree with that. He's never been a sexy buy.

I think he's clearly outperformed his value at basically every step of his career. I feel like his value has always been semi-justified, though. He's just risen above it consistently.

Menace2010
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Has there been another player THIS productive who's never been worth a 1st??

Postby Menace2010 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:40 am

I wonder how many cut bait on him prior to 2018... We almost expiect Rookies to produce in year 1 now. Year 3 breakouts are pretty much the final hoorah. Lockett broke out year 4. Imagine there were plenty of teams trading him for 2nds or whatever the off-season between. I'm still haunted by the time I cut Tyler Boyd going into year 3 (stupid in hindsight I know) because he was rated on all the dynasty sites as a bust after 2 seasons (pretty sure DLF had him as WR80 or lower and I was deep at WR). We shouldn't give up on most rookie WRs before year 3, the statistics show is that but at times the roster crunch is real.

Statistically year 4 or later breakouts are so low, it almost makes sense to play the odds. But also worth considering if there are any commonalities between guys that don't breakout until later in their careers to determine if we're all giving up too soon on a couple players in particular.

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:41 am

I took a shot on Lockett in my main league’s startup draft in the summer of 2017 at pick 162 overall. Been a great piece for me over that time, and finally sold for a 2024 2nd this offseason.

Diontae Johnson is a good suggestion of a similar-ish player. Another could be Jakobi Meyers. If he manages to start producing at a high level, Nico Collins could fall into the bucket as someone who will always be looked at as a WR2-type (on his own team; i.e., not an “alpha” WR).
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

MattDeezy
Starter
Starter

Postby MattDeezy » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:39 am

Looking at other comparable players I’d say Amari Cooper is also pretty under appreciated as well.
Team
1Q|2R|3W|1T|2FLX - 12 Team PPR

QB: Love, AR, Cousins, Flacco
RB: CMC, Bijan, Ford, Mitchell, Pierce, Kendre, Tucker
WR: Deebo, Wilson, Olave, Puka, Flowers, Addison, Jeudy, Jamo, Burks
TE: McBride, Kincaid, Fant, Bellinger

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:49 am

MattDeezy wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:39 am Looking at other comparable players I’d say Amari Cooper is also pretty under appreciated as well.
Cooper doesn't really fit. There was a time where he consistently had a Top 24-30 ADP and you would trade a 1st for him.

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:09 pm

Menace2010 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:40 am I wonder how many cut bait on him prior to 2018... We almost expiect Rookies to produce in year 1 now. Year 3 breakouts are pretty much the final hoorah. Lockett broke out year 4. Imagine there were plenty of teams trading him for 2nds or whatever the off-season between. I'm still haunted by the time I cut Tyler Boyd going into year 3 (stupid in hindsight I know) because he was rated on all the dynasty sites as a bust after 2 seasons (pretty sure DLF had him as WR80 or lower and I was deep at WR). We shouldn't give up on most rookie WRs before year 3, the statistics show is that but at times the roster crunch is real.

Statistically year 4 or later breakouts are so low, it almost makes sense to play the odds. But also worth considering if there are any commonalities between guys that don't breakout until later in their careers to determine if we're all giving up too soon on a couple players in particular.
This comment made me think of the most random breakout season I could remember...ladies and gentleman I present Brandon Lloyd's year EIGHT breakout:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... oyBr00.htm

So who is the next Lockett, and who are the Brandon Lloyd candidates? :lol:
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: 1.06, 2.06, 4.06, 5.06, 6.06, 7.06, 8.06

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:44 am

Paul717 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:09 pm ladies and gentleman I present Brandon Lloyd's year EIGHT breakout:

bah! he's no gary barnidge!

dynastyninja wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:36 pm He's definitely been worth a first for multiple seasons in the past. It just feels like he hasn't because of how depleted his value has been recently.
maybe in some leagues. but no, at first his efficiency was just unsustainable, then it was metcalf coming to town, then he was 28 which means "he's dead, jim" for most, and then it's just that he was boom or bust anyway. i tried selling for a 1st in 2019, got told "maaaybe a 2nd" so i just accepted the fact he will retire on my team (and has a ring to show for it!).

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:09 am

I’ve just held him and hope for those insane blow up weeks. He can sure help win point bonuses some weeks. I could never get anything much offered for him in a trade.

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:51 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:44 am
Paul717 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:09 pm ladies and gentleman I present Brandon Lloyd's year EIGHT breakout:

bah! he's no gary barnidge!

dynastyninja wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:36 pm He's definitely been worth a first for multiple seasons in the past. It just feels like he hasn't because of how depleted his value has been recently.
maybe in some leagues. but no, at first his efficiency was just unsustainable, then it was metcalf coming to town, then he was 28 which means "he's dead, jim" for most, and then it's just that he was boom or bust anyway. i tried selling for a 1st in 2019, got told "maaaybe a 2nd" so i just accepted the fact he will retire on my team (and has a ring to show for it!).
OMG! I just noticed the word "outlier" in the dictionary takes me to that very same Barnidge page. That one season was basically HALF of his career production. Wow.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: 1.06, 2.06, 4.06, 5.06, 6.06, 7.06, 8.06

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:52 am

Christian Kirk is a player that is getting close to Lockett in being under appreciated. Works with a quiet efficiency and has been getting more productive annually.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:18 pm

kadun2 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:09 am I’ve just held him and hope for those insane blow up weeks. He can sure help win point bonuses some weeks. I could never get anything much offered for him in a trade.
I call these players ‘the Erick Decker All-Stars’, players who will never fetch what their points say they’re worth in a trade… but who are extremely solid nonetheless.

On Locket… what hasn’t been said a lot is that he was basically worthless for 3/4 of the year, but that other 1/4 of the year he would win you your week.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:43 am

Shcritters wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:18 pm
kadun2 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:09 am I’ve just held him and hope for those insane blow up weeks. He can sure help win point bonuses some weeks. I could never get anything much offered for him in a trade.
I call these players ‘the Erick Decker All-Stars’, players who will never fetch what their points say they’re worth in a trade… but who are extremely solid nonetheless.

On Locket… what hasn’t been said a lot is that he was basically worthless for 3/4 of the year, but that other 1/4 of the year he would win you your week.
i find him quite consistent. he's the epitome of that solid wr you want in your starting lineup.

never tried to trade him away. always happy with his contributions.

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:12 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:43 am

i find him quite consistent. he's the epitome of that solid wr you want in your starting lineup.

Last year definitely seemed better. Before that, I agree with the previous poster. Take 2021 for example.

4 games over 25 points
6 games under 8

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:19 am

frerichs5 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:12 am
Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:43 am

Last year definitely seemed better. Before that, I agree with the previous poster. Take 2021 for example.

4 games over 25 points
6 games under 8
Hmmm, I guess I have recency bias.

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:38 am

Y'all must play in some vanilla bleep leagues. We give 10 points per game for virgins, 5 points for poets, plus return yards. Lockett is the GOAT WR!