Michael Wilson - WR - Cardinals (Stanford)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Re: Michael Wilson - WR - Cardinals (Stanford)

Postby Anteaters » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:11 am

Lumps wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:41 amWhat does everyone think of Michael Wilson?
us wrote: he's on that longshot tier, somewhere between Tank Dell and Charlie Jones.
Lumps wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:23 amMichael Wilson thread. Not Tank Dell, not Charlie Jones, not whatever else. Can we stay on track for at least the 1st page? :wall:
:think: :? :P
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:29 am

Now that we're on the 2nd page let's get back to the C. Jones angle ....

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:36 am

cazzie33 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:29 am Now that we're on the 2nd page let's get back to the C. Jones angle ....
:lol: time for a new thread!!!!

RoyalPalmer
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby RoyalPalmer » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:15 pm

Well I have drafted Michael Wilson and am very excited.
12 team, .5PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1 SuperFlex, 25 Total (Startup)
QB: Purdy, Zach Wilson, Hendon Hooker, Aidan O'Connell, Stetson Bennett, Mariota, Trubisky
RB: KeAndre Miller, Tank Bigsby, Jordan Mason, Kevin Harris
WR: Tank Dell, Rashod Bateman, Jameson Williams, Kadarius Toney, Darnell Mooney, Michael Wilson, DJ Chark, Slayton, Robert Woods, Khalil Shakir
TE LaPorta, Kincaid, J Ferguson

2024 1st (3x)
2024 2nd
2024 3rd
———

QB: Jake Allen, Goff, Darnold, AOC, Jimmy G
RB: Mixon, Kamara, Javonte Williams, Charbonnet, Prince, Jordon Mason, Ingram (AZ)
WR: Ja'Marr Chase, Keenan Allen, Drake London, Brandon Aiyuk, Elijah Moore, Marvin Jones, Paris Campbell, Donovon Peoples-Jones
TE: Kincaid, Noah Fant, Likely

2024 2nd
2024 3rd

12 team, .5PPR, TE Premium, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1 SuperFlex, 25 Total (Startup)

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:25 am

Beat writers are saying to expect heavy involvement this season. Not next year. He's been learning mainly X as expected, but they have him learning all spots including the slot.

The hype train chugs along. Choo choo.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:46 pm

I’m on board baby!

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:09 am

Curious how people high on Wilson would rank him in this class compared to Rashee, Hyatt, Tillman, etc. I have him in that range of WRs currently

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:11 am

i have been picking him up ridiculously late in drafts. i wouldn't pick him early because the injury risk is a worry. maybe many people feel this way.

situationally it has all fallen in place for him to gain targets if he's good enough. that's half the challenge.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:55 am

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:09 am Curious how people high on Wilson would rank him in this class compared to Rashee, Hyatt, Tillman, etc. I have him in that range of WRs currently
I think his potential is higher than that grouping. He’s an interesting case study in evaluation. He was off of a lot of people’s radar - mine included if we’re being candid - because he was so easy to dismiss with his history at Stanford. But then he goes to the Senior Bowl and just blew his opposition away with his high level of performance that indicated a lot of positive transferrable traits. It certainly made me take a whole different look at his college years.

It’s a willingness to being open to new data and re-evaluating as opposed to making an assessment and then having no room to change it no matter the circumstances. And with a guy like Wilson it provides some very real upside on a very low risk of investment.

It’s always fascinated me that we are dealing with human beings that are making a huge leap in the athletic environment and how variably that transition has been historically, yet despite that being well documented that many in FF, both players and “expert” evaluators can be so rigid and unyielding in their predetermined positions to the point where it becomes personal to them that anyone might think differently or that circumstances can be fluid with time.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:09 am

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:09 am Curious how people high on Wilson would rank him in this class compared to Rashee, Hyatt, Tillman, etc. I have him in that range of WRs currently
I took him over Tillman in my draft.
I'm not a fan of Hyatt, whom I question whether he can be anything beyond a lid lifter.
Rashee and Wilson may have similar ceilings. Rice has the better QB situation but more competition for targets.

But part of the score with Wilson was that people didn't have to draft him remotely close to those names. Not sure what has happened now with Hopkins gone and hype building.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:12 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:55 am
I think his potential is higher than that grouping. He’s an interesting case study in evaluation. He was off of a lot of people’s radar - mine included if we’re being candid - because he was so easy to dismiss with his history at Stanford. But then he goes to the Senior Bowl and just blew his opposition away with his high level of performance that indicated a lot of positive transferrable traits. It certainly made me take a whole different look at his college years.

It’s a willingness to being open to new data and re-evaluating as opposed to making an assessment and then having no room to change it no matter the circumstances. And with a guy like Wilson it provides some very real upside on a very low risk of investment.

It’s always fascinated me that we are dealing with human beings that are making a huge leap in the athletic environment and how variably that transition has been historically, yet despite that being well documented that many in FF, both players and “expert” evaluators can be so rigid and unyielding in their predetermined positions to the point where it becomes personal to them that anyone might think differently or that circumstances can be fluid with time.
Yup if we are talking upside, Wilson has a lot of it compared to a guy like Tank Dell imo. He was also put on my radar at the Sr Bowl. He was one of the few WR making plays against the stout defense.

I have him around WR10 in this class. Could see the argument for as high as 8.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:28 am

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:12 am

Yup if we are talking upside, Wilson has a lot of it compared to a guy like Tank Dell imo. He was also put on my radar at the Sr Bowl. He was one of the few WR making plays against the stout defense.

Well, if we're using BB's logic here, Tank Dell is very similar to Wilson in the fact that he wasn't talked about a ton during the season, had a great senior bowl and was drafted much higher than expected (early 3rd round). So, there is a lot of new data that could support him. Dell's size obviously a question though.

Wilson is interesting though. The Senior Bowl has been useful recently for identifying a few players who were under the radar and then blew up later like Kupp and Deebo.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:41 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:28 am

Well, if we're using BB's logic here, Tank Dell is very similar to Wilson in the fact that he wasn't talked about a ton during the season, had a great senior bowl and was drafted much higher than expected (early 3rd round). So, there is a lot of new data that could support him. Dell's size obviously a question though.

Wilson is interesting though. The Senior Bowl has been useful recently for identifying a few players who were under the radar and then blew up later like Kupp and Deebo.
This just in - Michael Wilson is the next Kupp!

(jk) But that the nice part about the Senior Bowl. Give a few guys one last shot to shine and others just one last hurrah to play.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:55 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:41 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:28 am

This just in - Michael Wilson is the next Kupp!

(jk) But that the nice part about the Senior Bowl. Give a few guys one last shot to shine and others just one last hurrah to play.
As the starter of this thread I will immediately jump in and say Kupp put up video game numbers in college. I watched him live against Oregon and they had zero answers.

But the rest of the things about new information from the Senior Bowl remains. But The main takeaway is the he just needed a venue to display his skills.

RoyalPalmer
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby RoyalPalmer » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:20 am

I managed to grab Dell and Wilson. Wilson at 3.08 and Dell at 4.05.

To me both players match what you want to use dart throws on.
1. Both have a clear-ish route to getting snaps and targets. I believe in skill over landing spot for players I'm drafting in the first two rounds, but with later real draft capital players (which has a pretty direct correlation to fantasy draft capital lol) I tend to lean into landing spot.
For instance, you could make the argument that Tillman has a better profile than Wilson and Dell. But he will have Amari, DPJ and Moore ahead of him now, and we have no idea if Cleveland grabs a WR in the next two drafts. Wilson/Dell on the other hand have a chance to take significant snaps this season, which of they excel could impact the front offices strategy next draft and even with HOU or AZ adding WRs next draft they still have less competition.
Deebo was in a very similar spot in SF his rookie season+ the Senior Bowl rise factor.
2. They have warts, but ones I can accept. Wilson's injury history is a worry, Dells size may be even more of a concern. But this is partially why you can get these players in the 3rd or 4th. With Wilson's injury history, I'm still willing to take the gamble and he isn't coming off an ACL that hd him out of games his rookie season. Now Dells size is borderline a concern that would normally put a player on my DNP list but I can overlook this because of the skill, the opportunity and the fact that Stroud is backing him.
Essentially if I can find two positives I can let those outweigh the concerns. For Wilson this is opportunity+skill set > injury concern.

Am I'm expecting homerun franchise changing players here? nope. How about a top 12-24 WR? would be nice but nope. How about someone who can be flex worthy? That would be great. But more importantly I'm looking for players who can raise their capital their rookie season.
12 team, .5PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1 SuperFlex, 25 Total (Startup)
QB: Purdy, Zach Wilson, Hendon Hooker, Aidan O'Connell, Stetson Bennett, Mariota, Trubisky
RB: KeAndre Miller, Tank Bigsby, Jordan Mason, Kevin Harris
WR: Tank Dell, Rashod Bateman, Jameson Williams, Kadarius Toney, Darnell Mooney, Michael Wilson, DJ Chark, Slayton, Robert Woods, Khalil Shakir
TE LaPorta, Kincaid, J Ferguson

2024 1st (3x)
2024 2nd
2024 3rd
———

QB: Jake Allen, Goff, Darnold, AOC, Jimmy G
RB: Mixon, Kamara, Javonte Williams, Charbonnet, Prince, Jordon Mason, Ingram (AZ)
WR: Ja'Marr Chase, Keenan Allen, Drake London, Brandon Aiyuk, Elijah Moore, Marvin Jones, Paris Campbell, Donovon Peoples-Jones
TE: Kincaid, Noah Fant, Likely

2024 2nd
2024 3rd

12 team, .5PPR, TE Premium, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1 SuperFlex, 25 Total (Startup)