Where are we at with Drake London? Statistically he’s cooled down a lot… top-12 dynasty WR?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Where are we at with Drake London? Statistically he’s cooled down a lot… top-12 dynasty WR?

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:35 am

The “lack” of physical skills is the reason I just dont have Olave above Wilson or London right now. Athleticism is typically how you reach that elite ceiling and neither Wilson or London are lacking in athleticism. I know speed is athleticism and London is lacking there but he has every other tool to hit an elite ceiling.

mild
Legend
Legend

Re: Where are we at with Drake London? Statistically he’s cooled down a lot… top-12 dynasty WR?

Postby mild » Mon May 08, 2023 2:41 pm

Heck.

:thumbup:

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Mon May 08, 2023 2:55 pm

Hoping to buy low off a disappointing season and Bijan coming to ATL
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon May 08, 2023 3:58 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:55 pm Hoping to buy low off a disappointing season and Bijan coming to ATL
My view hasn't changed much on the player. He doesn't play fast at all. He runs pretty good routes. He should be a little better this season but will probably struggle to get to 85 receptions on that team.

He could be a nice fantasy WR2-3 if he can catch around 5-6 passes a game on average.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon May 08, 2023 3:59 pm

Well, we can put the "he can't separate" narrative to bed.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 08, 2023 8:41 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:59 pm Well, we can put the "he can't separate" narrative to bed.
Do these metrics show separation? What defines "success" in this model? Genuinely curious.

24.5 percent of his routes are slants. Is he the new "slant boy"? :lol:
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 08, 2023 8:44 pm

Patsfan86 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:35 am The “lack” of physical skills is the reason I just dont have Olave above Wilson or London right now. Athleticism is typically how you reach that elite ceiling and neither Wilson or London are lacking in athleticism. I know speed is athleticism and London is lacking there but he has every other tool to hit an elite ceiling.
Curious how you are defining this. London didn't do any of the athleticism tests at the combine or his pro day, other than 40, that I can see. Are you just basing this on your eyes?

Olave's efficiency was a lot better than Wilson last year. Curious why you think he can't reach a higher level but Wilson can.

I found the playerprofiler's best comp humorous, when looking up some metrics.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/garrett-wilson/
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Mon May 08, 2023 8:51 pm

I picked up 4 more shares of London this off-season to bring my total exposure to 50%.
I almost went after him in another league, but after Bijan went to the Falcons, and I already had Pitts on that team too, I took JSN with my 1.05 pick instead of trading it for London.
Didn't want to have Bijan/London/Pitts on the same team.

At 50% exposure, I am heavier on London than just about any other player I can think of.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon May 08, 2023 10:07 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:41 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:59 pm Well, we can put the "he can't separate" narrative to bed.
Do these metrics show separation? What defines "success" in this model? Genuinely curious.
https://receptionperception.com/introdu ... -new-home/

https://receptionperception.com/assessi ... roduction/
The Data
Route Percentage – How often a receiver runs each pattern on the route tree.

Success Rate vs. Coverage scores – How often a receiver gets open against the defenders covering him. A success is charted when a receiver “gets open” against the coverage. Creating separation, enough for the quarterback to have a reasonable target, is marked as a success. The only plays that are automatically given as success to the receiver are instances where a receiver is obviously held or interfered with (called or not). These plays make a big difference to an offense, and signify a receiver winning yards for his team by forcing the defensive back to hold him.

There are five formats for Success Rate vs. Coverage scores:

– Success rate against man
– Success rate against zone
– Success rate against press
– Success rate on each type of route run
– Success rate against double coverage
It's up to you whether you want to believe it or not, but this is a guy outright putting in the film work on an every-snap basis.

We could do worse for a WR resource.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 08, 2023 10:14 pm

mild wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:07 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:41 pm
https://receptionperception.com/introdu ... -new-home/

https://receptionperception.com/assessi ... roduction/
The Data
Route Percentage – How often a receiver runs each pattern on the route tree.

Success Rate vs. Coverage scores – How often a receiver gets open against the defenders covering him. A success is charted when a receiver “gets open” against the coverage. Creating separation, enough for the quarterback to have a reasonable target, is marked as a success. The only plays that are automatically given as success to the receiver are instances where a receiver is obviously held or interfered with (called or not). These plays make a big difference to an offense, and signify a receiver winning yards for his team by forcing the defensive back to hold him.

There are five formats for Success Rate vs. Coverage scores:

– Success rate against man
– Success rate against zone
– Success rate against press
– Success rate on each type of route run
– Success rate against double coverage
It's up to you whether you want to believe it or not, but this is a guy outright putting in the film work on an every-snap basis.

We could do worse for a WR resource.
OK, so it's based on Matt Harmon's subjective opinion in part then. Does he do all the charting, or does he hire people to do it now? I know he started off doing it all. If you don't know, that's cool, just thought you might know without having to search.
Janiel Dones Truther

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon May 08, 2023 10:20 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:14 pm OK, so it's based on Matt Harmon's subjective opinion in part then. Does he do all the charting, or does he hire people to do it now? I know he started off doing it all. If you don't know, that's cool, just thought you might know without having to search.
I was under the impression that he's still doing it all. Happy to be corrected on that.

I would happily see a football study on WR's that isn't subjective to someone's opinion, if you have one!

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 08, 2023 10:25 pm

mild wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:20 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:14 pm OK, so it's based on Matt Harmon's subjective opinion in part then. Does he do all the charting, or does he hire people to do it now? I know he started off doing it all. If you don't know, that's cool, just thought you might know without having to search.
I was under the impression that he's still doing it all. Happy to be corrected on that.

I would happily see a football study on WR's that isn't subjective to someone's opinion, if you have one!
No, I don't mean it as a negative. All these metrics, like yards created etc. are based on film watching, to an extent (part of what I find so humorous about the film vs analytics debate).

I just think it's better if Matt's doing it all, because the metrics would be more accurate if it's just him doing it, because the results would be more consistent than if say 12 different people were charting routes of different players, with one guy doing these ten guys, and someone else doing another ten guys etc.
Janiel Dones Truther

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon May 08, 2023 10:49 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:25 pm No, I don't mean it as a negative. All these metrics, like yards created etc. are based on film watching, to an extent (part of what I find so humorous about the film vs analytics debate).

I just think it's better if Matt's doing it all, because the metrics would be more accurate if it's just him doing it, because the results would be more consistent than if say 12 different people were charting routes of different players, with one guy doing these ten guys, and someone else doing another ten guys etc.
Right, yeah for sure - I am pretty certain a big part of him doing the website and charging for the data is exactly to do with protecting that consistency, as it has become (one of?) his real life jobs, and it takes up a lot of his time.

I know he gets help with interpreting some of the data and models, ie. the stuff you can read about in that 2nd link I posted.

I believe for charting the players though, it's all him.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue May 09, 2023 5:35 am

Not sure what to do with London. I love how he plays and his traits but as Ice said it’s gonna be hard for him to see the volume. I will be drafting Bijan and im not quite sure how much of this Atlanta offense I actually want. I do want to reiterate I love London as a player and see him as a top 2 talent from a good reciever class. Just this situation is horrible and Arthur Smith is the worst

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue May 09, 2023 6:36 am

Patsfan86 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:35 am Not sure what to do with London. I love how he plays and his traits but as Ice said it’s gonna be hard for him to see the volume. I will be drafting Bijan and im not quite sure how much of this Atlanta offense I actually want. I do want to reiterate I love London as a player and see him as a top 2 talent from a good reciever class. Just this situation is horrible and Arthur Smith is the worst
In the same boat as an owner of the 1.1, Pitts and Ridder (as a backup in a 16 team league). Pretty hard to get my head around adding another Atlanta player.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker