2023 Draft

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: 2023 Draft

Postby Ice » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:31 pm

murphysxm wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:25 pm I always enjoy watching the landing spot overreactions this soon after a draft. Somebody said it earlier that this will be a rookie draft that rewards talent evaluators that don’t rely as heavily on landing spot. Should be a fun fantasy rookie draft to look back on.
Don't disagree but it sure is nice when talent goes to an ideal landing spot without equal or better players already there.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:39 pm

Lumps wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:45 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:59 am
Patsfan86 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:41 am

I used the words alternate universe for a reason. I really just meant they have a lot of talent Imo but other things have happened or their personalities take away from that talent. I mean Boutte in the 3rd offers no risk Imo, how often do 3rd round picks even work? May as well take these guys there.
I looked back on this in one of my leagues and on average you get about 2-3 startable players per year in the 3rd round. Some notable examples would be Dak, Kupp, McLaurin, James Conner, Goedert. Last year Allgeier and potentially Sam Howell (and potentially Brian robinson). Year before that you had Rhamandre. Of course it will be different for every league. So ~20% chance of getting a usable fantasy asset really isn’t that bad. The 4th round is where things really drop off a cliff.
This was a very interesting perspective to read. Very divergent from me, as I am a “go get your guy” kind of manager. Usually, I wind up with depth problems.

I have a 14 team 2 QB devy league and I’m go full Rams “eff then picks” as far as the rookie draft 2nd and 3rd rounds. But, each year, as we all do, I get that desire when I’m watching the 2nd and 3rd round from the sidelines as regardless of the devy depletion I’m still wanting someone.

I’ll think this over, thanks for posting.
What I did was I tracked every teams draft picks on a spreadsheet where you could easily see exactly who and how many players in each round that teams were picking. After a few years I realized I was making very few 2nd round picks, realized that my "trading up" approach was terrible, seeing that people were landing great players in the 2nd round especially, but also the 3rd at times. As much as we can dig into players, at the end of the day it's a lot of randomness involved that we can't account for. Their work ethic, injuries, etc. It's probably different in 14-16 team leagues, I have a 16-team contender that I'm constantly selling my entire draft picks for proven players.

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:57 pm

Ice wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:31 pm
murphysxm wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:25 pm I always enjoy watching the landing spot overreactions this soon after a draft. Somebody said it earlier that this will be a rookie draft that rewards talent evaluators that don’t rely as heavily on landing spot. Should be a fun fantasy rookie draft to look back on.
Don't disagree but it sure is nice when talent goes to an ideal landing spot without equal or better players already there.
Draft capital ideally should be what confirms your prior analysis and evaluations on players. Landing spot is just a bonus. Rarely should it elevate lower ranked players into higher tiers. I tend to lower the players that need to be lowered down my rankings based on the draft capital and eventually the board shakes it how I think it should look.

It's not getting the draft capital expected that should expose certain players (especially RB) and cause re-evaluation. Without that DC - if landing spot is the only thing holding them up that's when I get myself into trouble.

If anything using landing spots as tiebreakers between very similar prospects is a perfectly fine way of utilizing that data point. It should not weigh that heavily nearly as much as draft capital, college production, athletics, etc (depending on position)

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:15 pm

I just traded 1.03 and 1.05 for 1.02 and 2 23 3rds. That locks up Bijan and Gibbs for me. I felt it was a must do. Locking up the two highest drafted RBs in years in a 1 QB feels pretty big. I don’t like spending huge draft cap on RBs but this felt like I’d be getting a huge advantage having both Gibbs and Bijan on my team. Def an overpay on paper no matter how down someone is on this class but again I felt like this was a must do

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:21 pm

moishetreats wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:33 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:47 pm Why did GB use two day 2 picks on TE? Are they just putting Musgrave and Kraft in a pit and saying best man wins the majority of the snaps?
I think there are two seemingly contradictory answers, both of which can still be true at the same time:

1) The GB offense (clearly) needs a productive TE. So they drafted two, more likely insuring they'd get one (the Packers, by the way, have doubled and tripled down on a position of need in a draft a LOT over the years); and
2) LaFleur's vision for his offense includes a lot of 2TE sets, including one being used at times in the FB role.
That second point is my concern. With the murkiness at WR in GB, I was hoping a single TE would get a shot at dominating the position's snaps. Instead, we get two TEs with good receiving skills tripping into each other. The only saving grace is their receiving skills don't directly overlap, though I wouldn't exactly call them complementary.

I was watching both for their landing spots and this was disheartening.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:27 pm

Jags first round pick was needed. Hope he can play well right away. Worried about Lawrence losing both his starting tackles. Going to be a tough go, early on.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon May 01, 2023 5:25 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:21 pm
That second point is my concern. With the murkiness at WR in GB, I was hoping a single TE would get a shot at dominating the position's snaps. Instead, we get two TEs with good receiving skills tripping into each other. The only saving grace is their receiving skills don't directly overlap, though I wouldn't exactly call them complementary.

From a real football standpoint, I don't love it, but I don't hate it. But, I think it's clear based on draft capital that Musgrave is the guy to target there. Kraft went a round later and is coming from a smaller school. So, he's tougher to project.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 01, 2023 8:11 am

Bot101 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:01 pm
Rosenbluu wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:43 pm
lukkynumber13 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:16 pm Deuce Vaughn to Dallas? Welp, RIP Tony Pollard. Your time as the man was fun while it lasted :lol:
Love takes like this, personally when I watch the kid play I see talent and based on what I've watched he has football speed. Depending on how our draft ends up I could see myself taking in the late 2nd-mid 3rd
Dont be a fool. Hes 5'5" 179 lbs and ran a 4.56 at his pro day. You are lighting your pick on fire the same way those idiots in Dallas just did with most of this class this year. Luke freaking Schoonmaker, a nearly 25 year old project TE in rnd 2? I am so angry that I dont even know how to process my anger into something productive right now. :x
Are you saying the Cowboys dropped a "Deuce" with that pick? To stick with the Cowboys/Deuce theme....is this what you're saying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG_dGG_wAYM

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon May 01, 2023 8:39 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:25 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:21 pm

From a real football standpoint, I don't love it, but I don't hate it. But, I think it's clear based on draft capital that Musgrave is the guy to target there. Kraft went a round later and is coming from a smaller school. So, he's tougher to project.
I totally get the moves from a real football perspective but not feeling it for fantasy.

I'll have to watch some film to confirm, but based on scouts' takes, I'd prefer Kraft between the two, and that's before accounting for dynasty ADP cost. If they can manufacture touches for Watson, they can do the same for him. Just like with running QBs that need to work on passing, it's a short term solution contingent on developing route running skills.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Mon May 01, 2023 8:43 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:11 am
Bot101 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:01 pm
Rosenbluu wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:43 pm

Love takes like this, personally when I watch the kid play I see talent and based on what I've watched he has football speed. Depending on how our draft ends up I could see myself taking in the late 2nd-mid 3rd
Dont be a fool. Hes 5'5" 179 lbs and ran a 4.56 at his pro day. You are lighting your pick on fire the same way those idiots in Dallas just did with most of this class this year. Luke freaking Schoonmaker, a nearly 25 year old project TE in rnd 2? I am so angry that I dont even know how to process my anger into something productive right now. :x
Are you saying the Cowboys dropped a "Deuce" with that pick? To stick with the Cowboys/Deuce theme....is this what you're saying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG_dGG_wAYM
:lol:

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon May 01, 2023 8:44 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:27 pm Jags first round pick was needed. Hope he can play well right away. Worried about Lawrence losing both his starting tackles. Going to be a tough go, early on.
Completely agree, I was worried when they lost Taylor in FA, then the ped suspension made OT a huge draft need for them. Great get for them.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Mon May 01, 2023 8:55 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:39 am I totally get the moves from a real football perspective but not feeling it for fantasy.

I'll have to watch some film to confirm, but based on scouts' takes, I'd prefer Kraft between the two, and that's before accounting for dynasty ADP cost.
I'm with you on all this.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 01, 2023 9:05 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:18 am This draft sucks.
7 RB's drafted in the first 3 rounds.

14 in total. The lowest amount since the year 2000.

I've been saying it for months, that this class was not living up to the hype, and was a lot weaker than first anticipated. The RB class is where it kind of fell apart quite a bit, in terms of the missed analysis. TE's look good, WR's not so strong, QB's it's OK. The RB class became a disaster. Was supposed to be it's strength, a year ago.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon May 01, 2023 9:31 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:05 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:18 am This draft sucks.
7 RB's drafted in the first 3 rounds.

14 in total. The lowest amount since the year 2000.

I've been saying it for months, that this class was not living up to the hype, and was a lot weaker than first anticipated. The RB class is where it kind of fell apart quite a bit, in terms of the missed analysis. TE's look good, WR's not so strong, QB's it's OK. The RB class became a disaster. Was supposed to be it's strength, a year ago.
I'll eat crow on this one. I'm still very surprised that this draft actually had less RBs drafted than last years. And, it's not like last year's RB group even projects better long-term.

It remains a deep class though, with a lot of value picks to be made in the 2nd and beyond, but the appeal was to expect many RBs going Day 2 or early Day 3 at the worst, and that did not happen.

KittleGoat
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby KittleGoat » Mon May 01, 2023 9:39 am

I haven't seen this mentioned, but in a draft where RB values were getting killed all over the place, it was awesome for Rhamondre. Considering what the Pats usually do it was extra surprising.
10 Team - 0.5 PPR - QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, FLEX, DEF

QB: J. Allen, Lance
RB: Kamara, Ekeler, Rhamondre, Bijan, Montgomery, Kendre Miller, Tank Bigsby, Damien Harris
WR: Diggs, M. Brown, Aiyuk, Pittman, Smith-Ngjiba, Dotson, Sutton, Jayden Reed, Boutte
TE: Kittle, Pat Freiermuth, T. McBride, C. Okonkwo