JoeJoe88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: 2023 Draft

Postby JoeJoe88 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:01 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:52 pm
nathanq42 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:08 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:01 pm
I know alot of people think this now but with NFL teams showing how they prioritize RBs in this draft, there may be elements not being considered.

Chris Collinsworth defended his idea of KC drafting Hendon Hooker at 31st in his mock by saying that losing the QB *in that offense* would be crippling. In the same way, you could argue a team built around the run game could not afford to lose its starting RB.

The defense did have holes, especially along the line, but one of the best friends of a defense is a solid run game.
But a team would be silly to build around the run in today's NFL when you need to be able to put up 30+ every game to be competitive. Not to mention, I dont buy into the fact that the RB spot was an integral piece in the SEA offense to begin with. I loved their dradt up until this point. Geno proved he was worth riding with, they go him the best WR in the draft. The defense was awful last year, you have to be able to either rush/stop the QB by way of the Dline, or you need DBs that can lock up WRs long enough for the pocket to breakdown. They got the best CB in the draft and added to the Dline.

Now they go and throw a pick at the least valuable position in the NFL, with tonnes of supply of RB fodder in FA that can fill in just as well as Charb, if not better given rookie pass blocking ability vs seasoned pros. Not to mention you already have a starter at RB that did great last year as a second round rookie.

It could work out, but it would take a lot to make the pick worthwhile IMO
Pods and the like will blast Seattle for this pick, just like they did for Detroit taking Gibbs at 12, or 2 RBs going in the top 12 of the NFL draft, but I'm looking for a logical path that could lead to these decisions. Either the decision makers paid a ton to evaluate these kinds of things are completely off their rockers or they're considering things the numbers and charts people aren't factoring in.

I seem to recall Walker was a boom/bust on his runs last year. Perhaps it was too high variance.

Regarding vet alternatives- Zeke and Hunt (the top 2 FA RBs) have gotten the cold shoulder and may even be available after week 1, when vet contracts aren't guaranteed.
He was indeed pretty boom/bust. When he was contacted at or behind the LOS, he was stuffed for 0 or negative yards on 51% of his carries-good for 55th out of 58 running backs.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:04 pm

Charbonnet pick kind of reminds me of the AJ Dillon pick.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:06 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:56 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:52 pm
nathanq42 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:08 pm

But a team would be silly to build around the run in today's NFL when you need to be able to put up 30+ every game to be competitive. Not to mention, I dont buy into the fact that the RB spot was an integral piece in the SEA offense to begin with. I loved their dradt up until this point. Geno proved he was worth riding with, they go him the best WR in the draft. The defense was awful last year, you have to be able to either rush/stop the QB by way of the Dline, or you need DBs that can lock up WRs long enough for the pocket to breakdown. They got the best CB in the draft and added to the Dline.

Now they go and throw a pick at the least valuable position in the NFL, with tonnes of supply of RB fodder in FA that can fill in just as well as Charb, if not better given rookie pass blocking ability vs seasoned pros. Not to mention you already have a starter at RB that did great last year as a second round rookie.

It could work out, but it would take a lot to make the pick worthwhile IMO
Pods and the like will blast Seattle for this pick, just like they did for Detroit taking Gibbs at 12, or 2 RBs going in the top 12 of the NFL draft, but I'm looking for a logical path that could lead to these decisions. Either the decision makers paid a ton to evaluate these kinds of things are completely off their rockers or they're considering things the numbers and charts people aren't factoring in.

I seem to recall Walker was a boom/bust on his runs last year. Perhaps it was too high variance.

Regarding vet alternatives- Zeke and Hunt (the top 2 FA RBs) have gotten the cold shoulder and may even be available after week 1, when vet contracts aren't guaranteed.
I also think they want to not have to down grade as much, if their RB1 goes down. KW may only get 60 percent of the snaps, but if you upgrade the other 40 percent, and then if KW9 misses time, that 40 percent becomes 60, your offense doesn't falter as much. It never hurts, from a football perspective, to upgrade your 2nd RB, it's just Charbonnet, could have gone to a depth chart where he wasn't the 2nd most talented back, and that would have been better for our little game.
Idk. There are 22 positions needing to be filled, 7 rounds of picks and you double up on one of the easiest to fill in the 2nd round You can grab latavius murray off the couch for peanuts if you need someone to lose running.

The same thing can be applied to every position. Ask the Chiefs how it felt to have back up lineman during the Super Bowl against the Bucs. .

Or you lose a DB and in comes some guy that repeatedly gets burned for long touchdowns. Replacing the rb with Latavius Murray won’t hurt you near as much as replacing the db with some joker off the practice squad.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:08 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:04 pm Charbonnet pick kind of reminds me of the AJ Dillon pick.
I was thinking the same thing, minus the age difference between jones and Dillon of course

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:09 pm

Wheeeeew I was stressing on the Niners lack of kicker situation. Glad they addressed it in the 3rd and didn’t get sniped on that pick

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:10 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:04 pm Charbonnet pick kind of reminds me of the AJ Dillon pick.
Was that a good pick?

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:11 pm

jordanzs wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:09 pm Wheeeeew I was stressing on the Niners lack of kicker situation. Glad they addressed it in the 3rd and didn’t get sniped on that pick
I’m going to have to add the kicker position back into our league. I have 6 1st round picks and I intend to use one of them. You can’t pass on that kind of talent.

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:12 pm

SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:10 pm
Was that a good pick?
I kind of mean, a good explosive back was already there, and nobody thought that they would take a RB round 2. Not saying the roles or outcomes will be the same. Just a big surprise use of round 2 capital. It was an OK pick, Dillon is a good NFL back, so not a terrible pick.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:13 pm

Looking at the overall RB landscape, this draft has sucked.

Bijan was going to be a stud, but his landing spot destroyed Algier.
Gibbs was also going to be very good regardless, but his landing spot hurts Montgomery & completely put Swift’s into the unknown.
Charbonnet hurts Walker’s value.
Bigsby hurts ETN’s value.
Miller probably ends up the biggest winner just based on landing spot given Kamara’s age & legal problems.
Spears is pretty irrelevant given Henry & all of Spears’ knee problems.
Archane is a good landing spot, but it would have been better if a more complete RB landed in Miami.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:15 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:13 pm Looking at the overall RB landscape, this draft has sucked.

Gibbs was also going to be very good regardless, but his landing spot hurts Montgomery & completely put Swift’s into the unknown.
Miller probably ends up the biggest winner just based on landing spot given Kamara’s age & legal problems.
Archane is a good landing spot, but it would have been better if a more complete RB landed in Miami.
Izzy and Roschon falling to day 3 isnt great either. Very disappointed that RB needy teams passed on them while teams with solid starters took guys we liked.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:15 pm

Usually the draft gives us clarity but now it’s even more muddled than before. Can we just go next to 2024

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:16 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:13 pm Looking at the overall RB landscape, this draft has sucked.

I think this is where I disagree. I mean, trade value, sure. I am not sure it hurts their production. Certainly not ETN IMO. I am a fan of both Walker and ETN, and if I can get them cheaper now, I am really down for that.

In terms of Monty, I don't think they suddenly decided to change his role. Swift is replaced, but Monty had a specific role they wanted him to fill, so I don't think anything changed about the way the intended to use him. People may have thought Monty would be some 3 down bell cow, but not sure why, so I don't see why his value should change, as I don't believe his role has.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:24 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:16 pm

I think this is where I disagree. I mean, trade value, sure. I am not sure it hurts their production. Certainly not ETN IMO. I am a fan of both Walker and ETN, and if I can get them cheaper now, I am really down for that.

In terms of Monty, I don't think they suddenly decided to change his role. Swift is replaced, but Monty had a specific role they wanted him to fill, so I don't think anything changed about the way the intended to use him. People may have thought Monty would be some 3 down bell cow, but not sure why, so I don't see why his value should change, as I don't believe his role has.
I still like ETN & KW quite a bit. My main point is that there were a lot of good landing spots for the rookie RB to take the lead role immediately or next year at the latest. Seattle & Jacksonville were not even on the radar of needing a RB yet they use Day Two capital on them.

As for Montgomery, the fact that Gibbs went so high is the biggest threat. If Detroit had taken him with their second pick probably wouldn’t have changed his dynamic but just killed off Swift in Detroit. Taking him at 12 means that Detroit has a larger role for
Gibbs than they would have for Swift.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:31 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:15 pm Usually the draft gives us clarity but now it’s even more muddled than before. Can we just go next to 2024
You ready for more RBs to join timeshares after the depth of this class? :lol:

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:40 pm

ADP results will be fun. Such hodge podge groups throughout.