2023 Rookie QB rankings

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: 2023 Rookie QB rankings

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:32 pm

I'd hate to use a 1st on Hooker in SF. He has some interesting tools, but that success in that Art Briles gimmick offense just hasn't translated to the NFL. Plus, 25 years old on top of it? It'd have to be a really, really good scheme and coach that he's landing with to make me think differently.

Just seems like a steep climb to being a very good starting QB in the NFL.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:15 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:32 pm I'd hate to use a 1st on Hooker in SF. He has some interesting tools, but that success in that Art Briles gimmick offense just hasn't translated to the NFL. Plus, 25 years old on top of it? It'd have to be a really, really good scheme and coach that he's landing with to make me think differently.

*whispers*

"You can have DTR a round later and he's an even better rusher..."

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:28 pm

Bryce Young wont touch my SF rosters. Hes like less athletic Kyler Murray. No thank you.

Right now its Stroud, then Richardson.

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:47 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:32 pm I'd hate to use a 1st on Hooker in SF. He has some interesting tools, but that success in that Art Briles gimmick offense just hasn't translated to the NFL. Plus, 25 years old on top of it? It'd have to be a really, really good scheme and coach that he's landing with to make me think differently.

Classic “i won’t get him where I want him” ADP as of now

I’d take him with my 2.06, no way with my 1.10
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Caleb Williams - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - J Wright - Estime
WR: AJB - Pittman - Odunze - Shaheed - J Burton - R Pearsall - Doubs - E Moore
TE: MAndrews - Bowers - Bellinger - Kraft
‘25: one 1st, two 2nds, three 3rds

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - J Brooks - K Miller - J Wright - A Mattison - J Hill - W Shipley
WR: CeeDee - Aiyuk - Rice - Godwin - J Reed - J Burton - E Moore
TE: Kittle - Kincaid - Chig

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:52 am

mild wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:15 pm

*whispers*

"You can have DTR a round later and he's an even better rusher..."
If you want a QB like DTR on your roster, why burn a draft pick? I’m pretty sure Josh Dobbs is out there on a lot of WWs right now and would cost a minimum bid.

ManuManu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby ManuManu » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:43 am

If Richardson gets good draft capital, IMO he should be the first QB off the board in fantasy. The upside is too much to ignore.
Team 1, 10-team 0.5-PPR
QB (1): Richardson, Watson, Purdy
RB (2-3): Walker, Swift, Dobbins, R. White, Mitchell, Gainwell
WR (3-4): Hill, Godwin, Aiyuk, Flowers, N. Collins, Doubs, M. Wilson, Shakir
TE (1-2): McBride, Goedert, Okonkwo

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:35 am

ManuManu wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:43 am If Richardson gets good draft capital, IMO he should be the first QB off the board in fantasy. The upside is too much to ignore.
I get the rushing appeal, but there are projected to be other QBs with similar or better draft capital. I can understand this position in 1 QB but not SF- I'd want more certainty of hitting. Even in my 1 QB leagues with deep rosters, I'd prefer a stronger and higher floor.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:18 am

Athleticism is so overrated with QBs in fantasy. If they're a good QB, they're a good fantasy QB. Athleticism buys them time to develop as a QB, but if they can't throw the football accurately, they won't be starting in the NFL for long.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:41 am

dynastyninja wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:18 am Athleticism is so overrated with QBs in fantasy. If they're a good QB, they're a good fantasy QB. Athleticism buys them time to develop as a QB, but if they can't throw the football accurately, they won't be starting in the NFL for long.
Great post. It’s a passing league first and foremost.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:08 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:41 am
dynastyninja wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:18 am Athleticism is so overrated with QBs in fantasy. If they're a good QB, they're a good fantasy QB. Athleticism buys them time to develop as a QB, but if they can't throw the football accurately, they won't be starting in the NFL for long.
The argument is for rushing QBs over pure pocket passers, athleticism is just an important factor into being able to be a rushing QB. And QBs who can run have a big advantage over pure pocket passers in fantasy.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:42 am

Bot101 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:08 am
The argument is for rushing QBs over pure pocket passers, athleticism is just an important factor into being able to be a rushing QB. And QBs who can run have a big advantage over pure pocket passers in fantasy.
So is a “pure pocket passer” a guy who doesn’t extend plays by rolling as the pocket breaks down and won’t run past the LoS when all passing options are eliminated? Kind of a Brady type of QB? Or are we including guys who can run when pressed but prefer not to and instead will exhaust all their progressions - like Mahomes and Rodgers?

Because I’ll take the capable mobile guys who choose to pass rather than run over the rushing QB who is a bad passer every time - but then our league rewards completions and penalizes incompletions, sacks and sack yardage so the running QBs normally will not get into the top 5/6 in FF ppg.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:07 am

Bot101 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:08 am
I think rushing ability is a nice plus for a QB, but it's probably only 10-20% of the equation. Most important is their ability as a passer. If they can't throw, they won't last. Not to mention durability concerns.

The greatest QB of all time (Brady) was an embarrassingly bad runner. Same with Manning. Being a functional runner is a plus, but its dwarfed in terms of importance by needing to be a functional passer (in my opinion).

Guys like Allen and to a lesser extent Mahomes are good rushers, which magnify their numbers, but again, they need to be good passers first.

Allen is probably a perfect example, though, of someone whose rushing ability helped give him enough wiggle room to develop as a passer over time.

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:31 am

Its about growth. Allen and Hurts made huge leaps from running QBs who can throw to throwing QBs who can run. Mahomes was always a thrower who could run. Lamar Jackson has yet to make that leap which is why he is so controversial as having yet to show a consistent ability to pass without his legs threatening a defense.

Deciding a guy who just barely broke 3000yds total passing and rushing as your 1st overall QB? Seriously? Are you Al Davis? Athletes do not always make hall of famers sometimes you have to actually know how to play the position too.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:23 am

Yarnith wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:31 am Its about growth. Allen and Hurts made huge leaps from running QBs who can throw to throwing QBs who can run. Mahomes was always a thrower who could run. Lamar Jackson has yet to make that leap which is why he is so controversial as having yet to show a consistent ability to pass without his legs threatening a defense.

Deciding a guy who just barely broke 3000yds total passing and rushing as your 1st overall QB? Seriously? Are you Al Davis? Athletes do not always make hall of famers sometimes you have to actually know how to play the position too.
Based on the comments by the QB and coaches, and Diggs being upset since their playoff ouster, don't think Allen has completed his development.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:54 am

If AR learns proper technique and shows the ability to throw a football where he wants it to go, his athleticism is so attractive. Until then I want nothing to do with him.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts