Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the NFL & Fantasy

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the NFL & Fantasy

Postby ericanadian » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:28 am

Ice wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:22 am Technically yes that date has passed.

The only contract offer he can actually sign today is his Tag.

That said, he can sign a single contract from one outside team to take to the Ravens for matching purposes or compensation.

Lamar rejected his last big offer so that contract doesn’t exist any longer.
A quick google pulled this from espn. I know it used to work the way you’re speaking about it, but I guess it must’ve changed.
Now, under the franchise tag, the Ravens and Jackson have until July 17 to work out a long-term deal. If an agreement is not reached by that NFL-mandated deadline, a new deal can't be signed until after the season.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:36 am

thebeast wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:47 am

That said, he can sign a single contract from one outside team to take to the Ravens for matching purposes or compensation.

So you're saying that Lamar can no longer sign a long-term deal with the Ravens?
Not until he signs his Tag. Lamar is not under contract. There are strict Tag Rules in place.

(There is nothing stopping Lamar from negotiating: He has been doing that for well over 2 years now. He can negotiate a deal but he still has to sign his tag then sign but that window also has a timeline.)

The Ravens Options:
1) Wait until 1 offer is brought by a another team that Lamar has signed and match or take compensation.
2) Outright Release Lamar

Lamar" Options
1) Retire
2) Sign his Tag then agree to a deal or try again to get a longer term deal
3) Sign an offer from a different team and deliver it to the Ravens for their decision.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:41 am

ericanadian wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:28 am

A quick google pulled this from espn. I know it used to work the way you’re speaking about it, but I guess it must’ve changed.
Now, under the franchise tag, the Ravens and Jackson have until July 17 to work out a long-term deal. If an agreement is not reached by that NFL-mandated deadline, a new deal can't be signed until after the season.
Think we are saying the same thing. The mechanics are Lamar has to sign his tag which is a control measure but they are certainly in a negotiating window. Lamar can negotiate with anyone he likes including the Ravens until the July deadline.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:13 am

If I understand things correctly...Lamar has no options freely available other than to sign an offer from another team, sign the tag, or sit out, as things currently stand...but that doesn't mean there are no other options. I also think I'm correct in saying the Ravens have the right to remove the tag if they want, so could simply remove it and re-offer a long term deal. So no, long term is not off the table, unless the Ravens want it to be off the table, and every indication is they don't...unless I'm misunderstanding things, which is very possible.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:24 am

The very second they remove the tag he is an UFA

This is a new year and Lamar is not under contract. The Tag is the teams protection.

I get it may be semantics to some but no way they remove a tag then try to negotiate

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:43 am

Ice wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:24 am The very second they remove the tag he is an UFA

This is a new year and Lamar is not under contract. The Tag is the teams protection.

I get it may be semantics to some but no way they remove a tag then try to negotiate
Are they allowed to negotiate, have a verbal agreement, a handshake across the table, then sign the paperwork to remove the tag and sign subsequent new contract paperwork all over the same table/same meeting?

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:58 am

Valhalla wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:43 am Image
oh, that's perfect!
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:17 pm

Valhalla wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:43 am
Ice wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:24 am The very second they remove the tag he is an UFA

Are they allowed to negotiate, have a verbal agreement, a handshake across the table, then sign the paperwork to remove the tag and sign subsequent new contract paperwork all over the same table/same meeting?

They can negotiate a deal, have him sign the tag and then finalize the long term deal until July 17th. Once that date hits, it’s one year or sit out.

WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
K - Just a stupid kicker

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:45 pm

Another factor to consider is Kyler's contract negotiations might have been coming up against COD releases or simply gaming time. Kyler might have settled for less to get more COD hours in.

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:03 pm

But by your logic in this thread there is no market for Lamar and the only team interested in him is Baltimore so this would be a low risk move. :ewink:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:24 pm

Csl312 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:03 pm

But by your logic in this thread there is no market for Lamar and the only team interested in him is Baltimore so this would be a low risk move. :ewink:
Logic,,,,,,We don't need no stinking Logic. :crazy:

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:00 pm

The ravens should use the Kyler contract to argue that Lamar only deserves half of that. What a train wreck the Cardinals have become. The ravens will surely follow.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:08 pm

thebeast wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:20 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:51 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:38 pm I've seen nothing from Lamar Jackson that makes me think he can win a Super Bowl, paying him a big time contract will make it even more difficult. The Ravens big year, they were notorious for playing with the lead. They were built for it. Lamar isn't a QB who can play from behind consistently, he has not shown that ability. That's not being talked about, and yeah, receiving weapons, blah, blah. He had an upper echelon TE and a really good young player in Hollywood, I'm not going to pretend he had elite WR's, but when you're talking about the amount of guaranteed money he wants, he just hasn't shown the proclivity as a passer for a sample size worthy of what he is asking for.

Too much of his game is built around his running ability, which is a risk, due to any major knee, ankle injury etc. He's not particularly accurate, nor does he read the field all that well as a passer. He is able to create due to his athleticism, but really, he's never breached 4,000 yards, in a pass happy league with rules to allow marginal passing QB's compared to supposedly elite talents to do so, That is what NFL owners know, as do many fans. He's a fantastic talent, but his game, right now, does not lend well to a deep playoff run, or the aging process, or a major injury.

I think Lamar actually knows this too, which is why I don't blame him for trying to get as much as possible on this next deal. I don't think it's far fetched that he's where Cam Newton is, at Cam's age.
Nicely done FF. Captures the root of the issue perfectly.
While I’m sure a 26 year old former unanimous mvp is thinking that this is his one shot to get a big deal :crazy: opinions of whether Lamar can win a Super Bowl or not have nothing to do with the issue. The Ravens think they can win a Super Bowl with Lamar, if they didn’t they wouldn’t have offered him the massive deal that has been repeated throughout this thread. The root of the issue is guaranteed contracts. Lamar wants one and the Ravens (and 28 other teams) don’t want to give one to him or to anyone. That’s the issue.
Except apparently he doesn't. (link below) He just wants more guaranteed money than Watson, not a guaranteed contract, and as I said, his game is way too predicated on rushing for an owner to do that. I know you've supposedly blocked me, but since you want to roundabout comment on my post, I'm responding. He's a former unanimous MVP who hasn't been close to that level since, and has had injury issues since then.

It's his one SURE shot at a big time deal. We can't predict what will happen 5 years down the road. When he's 31/32 nobody knows where he'll be. He might have another chance at a massive deal, but a lot can happen in 5 years, regardless of your little emoji. Anybody could have a career threatening injury, from kneck, to shoulder anything that hurts the mechanical process of throwing. Lamar's game being so predicated on his rushing ability, a multiple knee ligament tear could seriously affect his prime years as well.

The root of the issue is guaranteed money in HIS contract. Owners aren't willing to do it, at least to this point, because of the reasons I've already stated. The Falcons owner basically stated that already, publicly, because I think a lot of people wanted to push the narrative for the Falcons to pursue him. Arthur Blank isn't a big mouthed owner. He's not usually in the limelight. He wanted to squash the media/fan narrative about Lamar to the Falcons, before it got out of hand, and he let people know his thoughts on why he wouldn't be pursuing him (at the current price).

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/lama ... un-watson/
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:18 pm

The difference is Mahome's manager is smart while Jackson's manager is not so smart. Mahomes has a fully guaranteed contract without it being fully guaranteed. Maybe Jackson's manager isn't confident in Jackson the player to trigger future guarantees?

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:06 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:08 pm
thebeast wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:20 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:51 am

Nicely done FF. Captures the root of the issue perfectly.
While I’m sure a 26 year old former unanimous mvp is thinking that this is his one shot to get a big deal :crazy: opinions of whether Lamar can win a Super Bowl or not have nothing to do with the issue. The Ravens think they can win a Super Bowl with Lamar, if they didn’t they wouldn’t have offered him the massive deal that has been repeated throughout this thread. The root of the issue is guaranteed contracts. Lamar wants one and the Ravens (and 28 other teams) don’t want to give one to him or to anyone. That’s the issue.
Except apparently he doesn't. (link below) He just wants more guaranteed money than Watson, not a guaranteed contract, and as I said, his game is way too predicated on rushing for an owner to do that. I know you've supposedly blocked me, but since you want to roundabout comment on my post, I'm responding. He's a former unanimous MVP who hasn't been close to that level since, and has had injury issues since then.

It's his one SURE shot at a big time deal. We can't predict what will happen 5 years down the road. When he's 31/32 nobody knows where he'll be. He might have another chance at a massive deal, but a lot can happen in 5 years, regardless of your little emoji. Anybody could have a career threatening injury, from kneck, to shoulder anything that hurts the mechanical process of throwing. Lamar's game being so predicated on his rushing ability, a multiple knee ligament tear could seriously affect his prime years as well.

The root of the issue is guaranteed money in HIS contract. Owners aren't willing to do it, at least to this point, because of the reasons I've already stated. The Falcons owner basically stated that already, publicly, because I think a lot of people wanted to push the narrative for the Falcons to pursue him. Arthur Blank isn't a big mouthed owner. He's not usually in the limelight. He wanted to squash the media/fan narrative about Lamar to the Falcons, before it got out of hand, and he let people know his thoughts on why he wouldn't be pursuing him (at the current price).

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/lama ... un-watson/
Ya, Blank was the first of the four finalists out on Watson, so I don’t think he’s looking to throw a fully guaranteed deal at any quarterback.

K - Just a stupid kicker