General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Aaron Rodgers to the Jets

Postby Lumps » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:26 am

Mjvb5 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:21 am
Anteaters wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:01 am The Jets should sign Jackson
The Packers should trade Rodgers to the Texans for a 2nd.
The entire world would have peace for a day, while Rodgers' head exploded.
They cant trade him where they want is the thing, he's got a no trade clause so he has to approve whatever it is.
Also, I have seen that the Ravens will NOT trade Lamar to a place so close in proximity. Combine that with also being in the AFC....

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:29 am

Lumps wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:26 am
They cant trade him where they want is the thing, he's got a no trade clause so he has to approve whatever it is.
Also, I have seen that the Ravens will NOT trade Lamar to a place so close in proximity. Combine that with also being in the AFC....
I get you'd prefer to trade him out of conference, but what does proximity have to do with anything? Ship him far away out of spite? lol

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:32 am

Rodgers doesn't have a no trade clause, but he does have a huge contract and if he doesn't want to play somewhere, no way that team will trade for him. So essentially, he does have a no trade clause, and not only that, he has all the leverage over GB;

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-packers-do ... 59257.html

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:40 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:29 am
Lumps wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:26 am
I get you'd prefer to trade him out of conference, but what does proximity have to do with anything? Ship him far away out of spite? lol
I think it was this: supporters of Lamar are clearly in Baltimore. But also likely into NY etc. If he goes to the Jets, they go to the playoffs, there will be loads of media/fan heat/hate in the area. Particularly if the face each other in the playoffs etc. I guess it's suggested that it's less problematic if he succeeds further away.

At any rate, I don't think Joe Douglas wants to get rid of multiple 1sts regardless. He's been shrewd the whole time, which is why things are being held up right now. Packers want far too much and Douglas isn't caving. Just like he didn't cave to pay more than the Dolphins did for Tyreek. Just like he didn't pony up to get Deebo.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:03 pm

No no trade clause. He’s leveraging a threat to retire which is effectively letting him choose his team.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:01 am

ericanadian wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:03 pm
No no trade clause. He’s leveraging a threat to retire which is effectively letting him choose his team.
I think Rodgers is leveraging his threat to play, no team is going to pay him nearly 60M if he doesnt want to play there. His large contract is his "no trade clause" leverage.

GB wants Rodgers to retire, GB cap hit is the same if he retires or is traded. I dont't think GB is worried about losing the trade compensation, specially if the Jets trade compensation offer is significantly less than GB wants.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:17 am

And all these years most of us thought Brett Favre was the biggest Prima Donna to ever put on a Packers Uniform.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:15 am

remedy29 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:01 am
ericanadian wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:03 pm
I think Rodgers is leveraging his threat to play, no team is going to pay him nearly 60M if he doesnt want to play there. His large contract is his "no trade clause" leverage.

GB wants Rodgers to retire, GB cap hit is the same if he retires or is traded. I dont't think GB is worried about losing the trade compensation, specially if the Jets trade compensation offer is significantly less than GB wants.
They should absolutely be worried about losing the trade compensation. Better to get a 2nd than to have him retire and get nothing.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:20 am

Ice wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:17 am And all these years most of us thought Brett Favre was the biggest Prima Donna to ever put on a Packers Uniform.
I am mixed on this. As a lifelong Packers fan (until this past off season) here is my perspective:

I loved Favre.... all of us did. The way he played like a kid, his on field shenanigans with Sapp, his toughness. Then, all the extra BS he pulled came. His waffling in and out of retirement, expectation to come back and get his job without going to camp, playing for another team, sending dick pics, then playing for a rival. After a while, it was easy to hate him for a good portion of us. To say nothing of his more recent off field stuff.....

Rodgers, for my part, I always saw as the anti-Favre. He never said a negative thing about Brett, when by all accounts he definitely had reason to. He didn't throw picks. Or send dick pics. :lol: He was more cerebral and not playful like Favre. He was prickly with reporters (which in actuality is just honesty, but we expect our athletes to lie to us and say the thing they're "supposed to say") and even his family. Just a different guy.

I'll try not to get into my rationale for not supporting the Packers this past off season so as not to completely derail this thread.... but needless to say I had reasons against the Packers first and foremost, then Rodgers.

But things that have played out this past season and this off season are kind of changing my opinion of the situation. I find myself moving back to siding more with my prior opinion of Rodgers.

We know drafting Love was a mistake in terms of draft pick usage. The only argument for him at this point was that it put that chip back on Rodgers shoulder. For a player that, in a myriad of ways, has felt slighted (height, juco, not going #1 to his childhood team...) and vocalized that (go back to "what you expect him to say") you can easily imagine what he felt. But, more than that, this off season has brought out some history that it seems has never been resolved. He wanted more say in the organization - something that is afforded to all QB greats. He didn't get it. He was/is livid about their handling of certain players - particularly "his" WRs. Drafting Love rather than getting him talent. Drafting a project WR rather than a polished one (see him dirting balls at the feet of Watson when he ran the wrong route). Kurt Warner has come out saying he has seen amateur hour on the field from the other players this past season and the frustration from Rodgers.

So.... is Rodgers a diva? I mean probably, it takes some level of narcissism to play QB in the NFL. Is he moreso than Brady? Maybe. But maybe the issue is just... he feels like the Packers didn't do right by him or other players. They didn't let him have input in his job (I think many of us can relate to things like this). They let his coworkers go. They hired his replacement. When they decided to hire replacements for his coworkers, they brought in amateur hour. It's hard to be motivated at 38-39 in the NFL in this scenario. l

I am NOT fully on board with Rodgers. But, in many ways, I can understand how things have played out from his perspective. I think what will show through, is if he is rejuvenated on the Jets. It's possible this goes very badly for all involved. But, if there is one thing that has been proven, if Rodgers feels slighted and has something to prove, other teams need to watch out. The Jets will be the best defense he's ever had. The WR core can rival the best he's ever had. Once Breece is back, it's the best RB he's ever had.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:47 am

Lumps wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:20 am
Ice wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:17 am And all these years most of us thought Brett Favre was the biggest Prima Donna to ever put on a Packers Uniform.
I am mixed on this. As a lifelong Packers fan (until this past off season) here is my perspective:

I loved Favre.... all of us did. The way he played like a kid, his on field shenanigans with Sapp, his toughness. Then, all the extra BS he pulled came. His waffling in and out of retirement, expectation to come back and get his job without going to camp, playing for another team, sending dick pics, then playing for a rival. After a while, it was easy to hate him for a good portion of us. To say nothing of his more recent off field stuff.....

Rodgers, for my part, I always saw as the anti-Favre. He never said a negative thing about Brett, when by all accounts he definitely had reason to. He didn't throw picks. Or send dick pics. :lol: He was more cerebral and not playful like Favre. He was prickly with reporters (which in actuality is just honesty, but we expect our athletes to lie to us and say the thing they're "supposed to say") and even his family. Just a different guy.

I'll try not to get into my rationale for not supporting the Packers this past off season so as not to completely derail this thread.... but needless to say I had reasons against the Packers first and foremost, then Rodgers.

But things that have played out this past season and this off season are kind of changing my opinion of the situation. I find myself moving back to siding more with my prior opinion of Rodgers.

We know drafting Love was a mistake in terms of draft pick usage. The only argument for him at this point was that it put that chip back on Rodgers shoulder. For a player that, in a myriad of ways, has felt slighted (height, juco, not going #1 to his childhood team...) and vocalized that (go back to "what you expect him to say") you can easily imagine what he felt. But, more than that, this off season has brought out some history that it seems has never been resolved. He wanted more say in the organization - something that is afforded to all QB greats. He didn't get it. He was/is livid about their handling of certain players - particularly "his" WRs. Drafting Love rather than getting him talent. Drafting a project WR rather than a polished one (see him dirting balls at the feet of Watson when he ran the wrong route). Kurt Warner has come out saying he has seen amateur hour on the field from the other players this past season and the frustration from Rodgers.

So.... is Rodgers a diva? I mean probably, it takes some level of narcissism to play QB in the NFL. Is he moreso than Brady? Maybe. But maybe the issue is just... he feels like the Packers didn't do right by him or other players. They didn't let him have input in his job (I think many of us can relate to things like this). They let his coworkers go. They hired his replacement. When they decided to hire replacements for his coworkers, they brought in amateur hour. It's hard to be motivated at 38-39 in the NFL in this scenario. l

I am NOT fully on board with Rodgers. But, in many ways, I can understand how things have played out from his perspective. I think what will show through, is if he is rejuvenated on the Jets. It's possible this goes very badly for all involved. But, if there is one thing that has been proven, if Rodgers feels slighted and has something to prove, other teams need to watch out. The Jets will be the best defense he's ever had. The WR core can rival the best he's ever had. Once Breece is back, it's the best RB he's ever had.
Agree with everything with the slight exception that he was dealing with amateur hour & dirting balls wasn't at all his fault.

Rodgers CHOSE to not be available for workouts and build trust or teach how he wanted routes to be run. Then guys got hurt missing practice time & reps. Then A-a-ron injured his thumb so more practice time missed. Even his guys Lazard & Cobb missed time forcing Rookies into bigger roles. Guess it would've been nice to have worked with them (rookies) more

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:57 am

cazzie33 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:47 am Agree with everything with the slight exception that he was dealing with amateur hour & dirting balls wasn't at all his fault.

Rodgers CHOSE to not be available for workouts and build trust or teach how he wanted routes to be run. Then guys got hurt missing practice time & reps. Then A-a-ron injured his thumb so more practice time missed. Even his guys Lazard & Cobb missed time forcing Rookies into bigger roles. Guess it would've been nice to have worked with them (rookies) more
The dirting balls comment I made was a specific play not kind of "overall" if that is how it came off. Just was referencing him showing frustrating and "making a point" of it on the field.

Agreed on him not being available preseason. There is no denying that it would have helped. But, as to the other points of my prior post.... he was probably pissed about all that stuff still. Drafting the project WR that is Watson, instead of them getting him a Tee Higgins in prior years. I see his side. But, even if I see it, that doesn't absolve him of responsibility.

If he gets what he wants from the Jets organization, feels like they have his back, and puts in the work with the WR core in NY... oh my.

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:58 am

Part of the problem I have with Rodgers is that a QB like Brady was comfortable with a smaller and differently structured contract so he could get the weapons he needed. I knew that Rodgers wasn't going to win a super bowl when he signed this most recent contract - the team had too many holes to fill and taking up big chunks of cap for QB wasn't going to help. TB also was a leader for the team who played a role in developing that talent. I don't think either of those things really apply to Rodgers.

Having lived in Wisconsin for most of Rodgers tenure starting for the Packers I also heard plenty of stories of fairly negative fan interactions. I think if you want to be a star athlete you need to understand that part of that job is being nice to strangers who at the end of the day fund your paycheck. It's also finding a way to be at least cordial with reporters. And the truly great athletes make their whole team better instead of complaining that their teammates aren't good enough.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:09 am

Not that I think the train can be stopped at this point, but we have a wrinkle. Joe Douglas would be wise to entertain the option, if only to get a lower price on Rodgers.

Les Snead welcomed the idea of trading Stafford:

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/los-an ... ay-packers

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:38 am

Csl312 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:58 am Part of the problem I have with Rodgers is that a QB like Brady was comfortable with a smaller and differently structured contract so he could get the weapons he needed. I knew that Rodgers wasn't going to win a super bowl when he signed this most recent contract - the team had too many holes to fill and taking up big chunks of cap for QB wasn't going to help. TB also was a leader for the team who played a role in developing that talent. I don't think either of those things really apply to Rodgers.

Having lived in Wisconsin for most of Rodgers tenure starting for the Packers I also heard plenty of stories of fairly negative fan interactions. I think if you want to be a star athlete you need to understand that part of that job is being nice to strangers who at the end of the day fund your paycheck. It's also finding a way to be at least cordial with reporters. And the truly great athletes make their whole team better instead of complaining that their teammates aren't good enough.
Brady was unique in that sense. I don't blame anyone for trying to get their money... within reason...

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:29 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:38 am
Csl312 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:58 am Part of the problem I have with Rodgers is that a QB like Brady was comfortable with a smaller and differently structured contract so he could get the weapons he needed. I knew that Rodgers wasn't going to win a super bowl when he signed this most recent contract - the team had too many holes to fill and taking up big chunks of cap for QB wasn't going to help. TB also was a leader for the team who played a role in developing that talent. I don't think either of those things really apply to Rodgers.

Brady was unique in that sense. I don't blame anyone for trying to get their money... within reason...
brady got his money. the cheats would send all their players to his facility to do whatever they do there. somehow this payment never made it to the player's official salary from the team.