Terrace Marshall Jr

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Terrace Marshall Jr

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:26 am

What about all the QB, RB and TE in this class? What about trading those picks for players who have already broken out? You're not locked into taking a WR if you got another early 2 for Marshall. Even if you were, I'd easily re-roll in this weak WR class. I'm just saying, thats value for a guy who has done next to nothing in 2 years.

He was on the field a lot last year (over 85% snap share in all but one game after week 7), but needed Robbie Anderson to get traded to see the field. Then he had 0 games with 5+ catches and averaged 37 yards per game with 1 TD.

Yes DJM left, yes they should have a better QB, albeit a rookie... I just don't see how Terrace jumps to 70+ yards per game average when he's done that 2 times in his career and has 1 total TD. And that's all ignoring the fact that they will draft/sign multiple WR to compete.

I'd be thrilled if he hit 1k yards as I own a good bit of him. But let's be realistic

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:44 am

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:26 am

I'd be thrilled if he hit 1k yards as I own a good bit of him. But let's be realistic
REALISTIC!!?!?! In THIS economy!?!

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:45 am

x2 ^^^

With your current RBs I'd easily roll for an early 2nd and take the gamble on Tucker, Evans, Miller, etc...

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:13 pm

Lumps wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:44 am

Honestly with inflation, 1k yards doesn't go as far as it used to

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:04 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:13 pm

This is low key funny in our new 17-game reality 8-)

"Back in my day... 1000 yards used to MEAN something!"

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:08 am

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:13 pm

:lol:

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:26 am

With the instability of fantasy WRs, I think what needs to be done is we need to create "fantasy" fantasy WRs. Non-playoff teams can each be supplemented with one "fantasy" fantasy WR that automatically gives them a standardized 1000 yards and 8 TDs, that they can play every week (no bye week as it's an imaginary WR). Each year, the non-playoff teams get this supplement, so each year a league would add 6 more "fantasy" fantasy WRs that give this 1000 and 8. In time, all teams will have an even footing. This should in no way alter the value of your current WR assets that are around 1000 and 8, and it would REALLY even out the playing field! All good things! :thumbup:

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:36 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:00 pm Seems people are willing to buy for a 3rd? I think that's a fair price. Agree with those who wouldn't pay a 2nd.

I have that option (of buying for a 3rd) for team 2 in sig. But to put things in more general terms, how would you rank the following players value-wise moving forward? Not an option to keep all of them. This isn't necessarily a my rankings, just listing the players to consider.

Gallup
R. Moore
T. Marshall Jr
T. Thornton
E. Benjamin
Id put Marshall or Thornton at the top. Moore's size issues are still a concern along w/how he's been used.

But I find the best piece to think about is the ask vs bid price situation.

At the end of the day he does seem like a classic case of people being interested in buying, but only at spots where the risk is really, really priced in (so 3rd or 4th), but with the miniscule hit rate w/3rd rounders and lower in rookie drafts (sub 10% historically if I remember), it shouldn't surprise that those of us holding shares are unwilling to sell for less than a 2nd (usually floating around 24-27% hit rate).

Personally I had a funny experience w/Marshall and with Hubbard. In both cases I liked both guys as high ceiling, very low floor, reasonably cheap draft day targets a few years back and so invested plenty.

And over the past two years my experience w/them has been:
1. Desperately trying not to cut them for needed starters on bye weeks.
2. Trying to poach shares that show up on the wire religiously.
3. Occasionally being the guy that cuts them.

and it would not shock me at all if in most of my leagues my pattern w/these guys was:

'21:
Drafted
cut
waiver pick up
cut in offseason

'22:
Picked up
cut
picked up
oh thank god I picked him up before his situation changed.

For the most part I went from heavy Hubbard, to light Hubbard late in '21, to heavy hubbard after the draft in '22, to light in september, to heavy again right before the McCaffrey trade (I think floating from 4-6 shares to as low as 2, to finishing at 5 in 15 leagues) and w/Marshall it was the same, heavy, light, and then just starting to collect him when suddenly he started producing the occasionally competent game (he had 3 of them last year after '21 was largely a dead loss, nothing special mind you, but 3 games where he was either double digit points or close).

So I'm happy I have my 10 or 11 shares combined of these guys across 15 leagues, but I'm under no illusions.

Hubbards a committee guy who could lose the committee more than likely.
Marshall remains a high ceiling, w/a bust floor, and a most likely scenario where he's edge bench guy for you that tops off as 40-50 catches maybe. The poster picturing 1200-7 is picturing near ceiling as the expectation, you gotta build in a floor as well for this to be sensible. Whats the worst case scenario? '21 with a coaching change or another bad QB or both.

Right now people that own him should view him as largely a piece of edge roster depth at WR which much higher ceiling than typical 5th, 6th, 7th WR's on your roster, but also a much lower floor than most guys carrying around his ceiling.

I dont expect many trades because of the difference between sell and buy prices, and that sort of sunk didnt pick him up fallacy where frustration at not doing the easy pick up sometimes causes people to ignore the player as a trade asset unless they totally blow up.

sehon4
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby sehon4 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:58 pm

Any update opinion on this player's breakout potential 3 weeks into free agency signings?
12 team dynasty, Protect 13 players annually, plus 3 2yr psquad- Max 4RB, Max 5WR, Max 3QB, Max 2TE, Max 1K, Max 1Def, Max 1 Flex. Roster size 18 plus 3 IR & 3 PSquad-3 2yr Psquad(signed for 2 years)
QB-Justin Hebert, Jordan Love
Derek Carr
RB-Alvin Kamara, Javonte Williams, Bijan Robinson, Chuba Hubbard
WR- Mike Williams, D.K Metcalf, Tim Higgins, Terry McLaurin, Jayden Reed Michael Gallup
2yr PSquad Jameson Williams, Marvin Mims Jr. , John Metchie III
TE- George Kittle, Cole Kmet, Dalton Kincaid
2015 League Champions (finally)
2009 2nd place, 2010 2nd place, 2014 2nd place, 2018 2nd place, 2020 2nd place
2012 3rd place, 2019 3rd place
2023 rookie draft picks: 1.01; 2.01; 2.05; 2.08; 3.02; 3.10; 4.12; 5.01
Traded Aaron Rodgers and Khilil Herbert for Jameson Williams & pick 3.02 rookie draft
Traded 2.08, 3.02, 3.10, 2024 3rd round and 2025 3rd round for Javonte Williams

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:34 pm

sehon4 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:58 pm Any update opinion on this player's breakout potential 3 weeks into free agency signings?
Chark (flash in the pan), Thielen (washed) and Hurst (mediocre journeyman) shouldn't be concerning. If Marshall actually lives up to his talent (big if), then he could take over the WR room.

I think the bigger concern is the Panthers drafting a WR with one of their picks.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:52 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:34 pm
sehon4 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:58 pm Any update opinion on this player's breakout potential 3 weeks into free agency signings?
Chark (flash in the pan), Thielen (washed) and Hurst (mediocre journeyman) shouldn't be concerning. If Marshall actually lives up to his talent (big if), then he could take over the WR room.

I think the bigger concern is the Panthers drafting a WR with one of their picks.
Pretty much expecting this to happen. I'd be more surprised if they didn't.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:47 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:34 pm

Agree with this assessment of the WR room. There is no WR1 and won't be, for example if best case Josh Downs or whoever falls to them in the 2nd.

It's WRBC in an offense that wants to run the ball with a rookie QB...... Not an ideal situation. Carolina using their 2nd round pick on a LB, DL or any DEF player would also make sense for them in a run oriented offense.

It may be a situation where they send their rookie QB out there Year 1 bare bones and upgrade pass catchers in Year 2 like we've seen with the Bears/Jaguars. Carolina does have a lot of cap space and the WR FA market is much better in 2024.

Overall though I'm not liking his outlook. I think Marshall needs to prove something this year. Definitively. Otherwise he'll be in the last year of his contract going into 24' and he's not somebody I'm looking to for a "change of scenery" upgrade. I'm not giving him the benefit of a doubt. I'd be completely out at that point.

Personally would rather sell for a 3rd to re-roll and/or just pocket that value now. Probably try for two 3rds and be ready to accept for a single.

I've noticed it takes a relatively long time for WRs who were given up on to regain the trust of the community enough for somebody to spend a 2nd on. It isn't like RB where an injury automatically elevates their value. WRs actually have to be good.

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:01 am

Three WR3s

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:10 am

D.J. Chark recently underwent ankle surgery and could miss part of the Panthers' OTAs.
Marshall gonna go for 150 catches and 2k yards, 15 TDs

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:34 am

Lumps wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:10 am
D.J. Chark recently underwent ankle surgery and could miss part of the Panthers' OTAs.
Marshall gonna go for 150 catches and 2k yards, 15 TDs
for his career?