D'Andre Swift: Skilled but "soft"

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: D'Andre Swift: Skilled but "soft"

Postby stoneghost28 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:22 am

100%, I agree w/both of the accounts, he's been remarkably injury prone through three seasons, and though successful, the brain trust in Detroit seems more of the knuckle dragging, ruff ruff, tough guy approach, instead of more thoughtful. The idea that Williams gives them a better chance to win, if both are reasonably healthy is flat out patently absurd.

It's always hard to tell in these instances whether the player is skittish about playing through pain or just seriously injured and the regime expects players to play through even serious career threatening injuries (think that Celtics Guard from 5 years ago that lost his pay day and career trying to play through pain for those reneging -------). If I'm the player, it's an adversarial relationship to a degree w/the team and its doctors when it comes to injuries, they aren't looking to your long term career, they're looking to week to week results, act accordingly. Its definitely complicated.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:41 am

stoneghost28 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:22 amThe idea that Williams gives them a better chance to win, if both are reasonably healthy is flat out patently absurd.
I don't think it's absurd. The Detroit coaching staff knows far more about these players than we do, and have their own jobs on the line. We just want fantasy points.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:56 am

Williams is a team captain, so it makes sense. If I were Detroit's GM, I wouldn't let him walk either.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:45 am

#freeswift Trade him to Denver to be with Payton!! They need a RB!

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:26 am

Trade Swift and draft Bijan / Gibbs

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:39 am

WED MAR 1 22:28 - Footballguys
New role for D'Andre Swift?
Detroit Lions RB D'Andre Swift's role in the offense is 'going to start all over from scratch,' according to head coach Dan Campbell. 'Let's find another way to see if we can help him stay on the field, you know?' Campell said. 'Because he's too talented. He's too talented to not have out there.'

Coachspeak. But maybe there will be something to it? Agreed though, he's a very tough guy to value at this point. Post FA/Draft should help with reading the tea leaves, hopefully.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:47 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:39 am WED MAR 1 22:28 - Footballguys
New role for D'Andre Swift?
Detroit Lions RB D'Andre Swift's role in the offense is 'going to start all over from scratch,' according to head coach Dan Campbell. 'Let's find another way to see if we can help him stay on the field, you know?' Campell said. 'Because he's too talented. He's too talented to not have out there.'

Coachspeak. But maybe there will be something to it? Agreed though, he's a very tough guy to value at this point. Post FA/Draft should help with reading the tea leaves, hopefully.
Good news that they're working on keeping him on the field. I bet this means more pass routes and even fewer traditional rushes.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:13 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:41 am
stoneghost28 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:22 amThe idea that Williams gives them a better chance to win, if both are reasonably healthy is flat out patently absurd.
I don't think it's absurd. The Detroit coaching staff knows far more about these players than we do, and have their own jobs on the line. We just want fantasy points.
He's not in the same universe as Swift in terms of talent. I get that his talent for staying healthy is a checkmark for him and a minus for Swift, but beyond that, there's literally nothing of consequence he does that's better for a football team trying to win games. It makes zero sense to me.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:21 pm

stoneghost28 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:13 pm He's not in the same universe as Swift in terms of talent. I get that his talent for staying healthy is a checkmark for him and a minus for Swift, but beyond that, there's literally nothing of consequence he does that's better for a football team trying to win games. It makes zero sense to me.
He's a far better short-range interior runner than Swift imo. Jamaal embodies "tough yards". It's easy to see why a former player / player's coach in Campbell would absolutely love him.

Talk to me about being in the same universe when Swift scores 17 rushing TD's in a season. You don't score that many TD's by mistake.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:36 pm

mild wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:21 pm
stoneghost28 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:13 pm He's not in the same universe as Swift in terms of talent. I get that his talent for staying healthy is a checkmark for him and a minus for Swift, but beyond that, there's literally nothing of consequence he does that's better for a football team trying to win games. It makes zero sense to me.
He's a far better short-range interior runner than Swift imo. Jamaal embodies "tough yards". It's easy to see why a former player / player's coach in Campbell would absolutely love him.

Talk to me about being in the same universe when Swift scores 17 rushing TD's in a season. You don't score that many TD's by mistake.
Yep. Williams is better than Barry Sanders.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:49 pm

stoneghost28 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:13 pm
He's not in the same universe as Swift in terms of talent. I get that his talent for staying healthy is a checkmark for him and a minus for Swift, but beyond that, there's literally nothing of consequence he does that's better for a football team trying to win games. It makes zero sense to me.
Wow, pull your jets back. They are in the same universe and if you asked me to predict the back I would want next year I would say Williams. Talent doesn’t beat production.

Truly a poor post.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

JoeJoe88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JoeJoe88 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:59 pm

2008 Lendale White enters the chat… :lol:

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:47 am

if that team needs 3 yards or less, it's better off with williams. so there is something that he does better.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:46 pm

murphysxm wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:49 pm
stoneghost28 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:13 pm

Wow, pull your jets back. They are in the same universe and if you asked me to predict the back I would want next year I would say Williams. Talent doesn’t beat production.

Truly a poor post.
On the same roster? Of course, the FO/Staff clearly has picked reliably available over talented and injury prone so I'd never take that bet, assuming Williams comes back. I can see why they might value availability in that sense, but beyond that, there is no comparison and Swift is far, far more talented as a running back. Just haven't been able to stay consistently healthy.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:53 pm

JoeJoe88 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:59 pm

2008 Lendale White enters the chat… :lol:
Lol, no kidding. Nobody is saying Williams can't get whats blocked, he can, he just aint getting you more. That, and the fact that he's healthy is why he's doing what he's doing.

Beyond that he's a jag, and if I'm wrong, and obviously Williams is this super talent, why was his ADP what it was? Why is it still, what it is? The answer is simple, people understand exactly what he is, and there's only so much risk you guys are willing to take to bring his "talent" onto your roster. Last year he was a 15th round start up pick, this year he's an 11th due to usage.

That's the reality around the base level consensus on his talent. Everything that is happening in terms of his value is connected to volume, usage, and his staff's preference for his availability over a perception that Swift is soft. Thats a wrap.

If I was or am wrong, the market would reflect it, but it doesn't, because people see Williams for what he is, the beneficiary of a staff fed up with Swift's injury issues, not a legit, difference making talent by any stretch.