Derek Carr Thread: King of the Underrated QBs

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: Derek Carr Thread: King of the Underrated QBs

Postby ericanadian » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:58 pm

Shcritters wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:14 pm Would a team be so bold as to tentatively agree to terms with the Raiders, force them to let his contract kick in… then pull the plug, forcing the Raiders to pay him?

That would be dirty. If it was fantasy football could totally see that happening.
I don’t see the contract as that big of an albatross though. The cut off just means his 2023 salary ($32.9M) is guaranteed along with $7.5M for the following year. I feel like that’s fairly tradable as its only a bit more than what Goff is getting paid. What seems more risky would be Carr agreeing to a trade, letting the guarantee hit and then using his no trade clause to block any deals. Never seen a player do a spite move like that before, but who knows?
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:08 pm

Carr wouldn't be able to agree to a trade and then back out, he would have to officially waive his NTC for him to agree to a deal.

I just don't see a trade happening and expect him to be cut. The NTC essentially allows him to choose his next team just like FA would, and going the trade route would be him just forcing his new team to give up assets for him when he could just force his release and then sign with them for free. The only situation it would be beneficial for him is if his current deal is significantly better financially for him than he would be able to get on the open market, and I don't see that being the case.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:52 pm

Would love to see him go to Seattle with their draft capital.

New York Jets also would be a lot of fun.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:42 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:52 pm Would love to see him go to Seattle with their draft capital.

New York Jets also would be a lot of fun.
Wouldn't say he's going to win over Pete, with Geno playing so well, they won't trade capital for Derek. Jets would be good, but he's not a cold weather QB. I think Carolina or Atlanta or Indy would be better, for FF purposes. Carr is a top 32 QB, he needs a fresh start. I'd also be OK with the Saints.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:47 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:08 pm Carr wouldn't be able to agree to a trade and then back out, he would have to officially waive his NTC for him to agree to a deal.

I just don't see a trade happening and expect him to be cut. The NTC essentially allows him to choose his next team just like FA would, and going the trade route would be him just forcing his new team to give up assets for him when he could just force his release and then sign with them for free. The only situation it would be beneficial for him is if his current deal is significantly better financially for him than he would be able to get on the open market, and I don't see that being the case.
I do too, but the open market, based on the way he played down the stretch, isn't guaranteed to pay him 33 million plus next year. If the Raiders can salvage a pick and send him to a team he's OK going to, he might take it. That team may move on before he hit's FA and trade for another QB. If they set up the fit (which they will be doing ahead of time) and can get a pick, and it's a destination he likes, why would he be unwilling to take a guaranteed 33 plus million next year? There's no guarantee the market in FA will yield a better result, once Jimmy G, etc hit the market. I'm not saying it's likely, because they have so little time to do it, but Carr knows he's gone, he's going to start looking at his next possible destinations, and they are likely asking him where those are, so they can try and facilitate something.

There is of course, the possibility he retires and becomes a pastor or something, and that's not a joke.

To the 2nd part in bold. I want to get your personal take on this, because I touched on it already. Do you really think a team would pay Carr more than 33 million next year in FA? I guess it's possible, with all the bad QB contracts happening lately, but I'd also think that affects the market for "lesser" QB's than Wilson and Watson and Kyler, guys like Carr won't be affected positively. What is your outlook of his contract on the market? I can't imagine more than another deal that's all fluff with basically all of it tied into the first year, after his performance this year. Maybe he gets 2 years, guaranteed, but that's a risk for him. 33 million plus guaranteed for 1 year is not that bad an option for him, IMO, but I don't know how much you've watched of him this year, because I've watched a lot, and he's been pretty bad.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:56 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:47 pm I do too, but the open market, based on the way he played down the stretch, isn't guaranteed to pay him 33 million plus next year.
I think it is. QB is just so valuable, and even with his warts Carr is still going to be one of the better QBs who has been ever allowed to hit FA (assuming he is). $33M is pretty low end money for a starting QB in the current market, and there will probably be multiple teams trying to bring him in over what they already have. He's still pretty easily a top 20 QB and no doubt starter imo, and he'll have enough interest to get a contract with a similar or better AAV than his current deal. We shall see how it plays out, but I think he's cut February 15.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:49 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:49 pm
Shcritters wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:14 pm Would a team be so bold as to tentatively agree to terms with the Raiders, force them to let his contract kick in… then pull the plug, forcing the Raiders to pay him?

That would be dirty. If it was fantasy football could totally see that happening.
Nobody would have any respect for them, and they'd likely be black balled to a degree, or just not trusted to negotiate with. It's not like they need to do anything to make the Raiders bad, the Raiders are experts at that, themselves.
I still remember this countdown starting the minute Gruden signed his contract.

https://fanbuzz.com/nfl/jon-gruden-coaching-countdown/

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:54 am

BTW, Carr can delay the guarantees to kick in, if he likes where he is being traded to. Again, I find it doubtful he'd get more than his current contract pays him on the open market. Should be interesting. I kind of wish the Raiders had just cut bait last year, and gotten max value for him, and not traded for Adams, at this point, but they had to give it a shot and see if they could compete.

Adams, Waller, Renfrow will definitely be enticing for a vet QB, and would definitely help a rookie as well. Will be interesting to see what route the Raiders take.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:07 pm

Something that's definitely underrated is how awesome this latest Derek Carr development is. He's making sure the Raiders get absolutely naught on his way out of the org.

And frankly, after the way they treated him? AND the fact they weren't even allowing him to seek trade destinations/partners on their behalf?

They 9000% deserve it.
Derek Carr has said he will not extend the Feb. 15 deadline for the $40.4 million injury guarantee clause in his contract.

In other words, the Raiders have to trade Carr before Feb. 15. Carr has a no-trade clause, so in other other words, he will not be getting traded, instead forcing his release. “I don’t think that would be best for me,” Carr said matter-of-factly. He is correct. Carr has zero reason to play ball with the Raiders, and though the remaining money on his deal is lucrative, he will make even more as a free agent in this quarterback-starved league. The Raiders threw Carr under the bus on the way out the door. He is reclaiming some dignity now.
You go, Derek Carr. 8-)

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:27 pm

mild wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:07 pmAnd frankly, after the way they treated him? AND the fact they weren't even allowing him to seek trade destinations/partners on their behalf?
I can see the problems with them barring him from find trade partners, but what was so bad about how they treated him? The end of season benching was contractual and not for quality of play reasons and I don't think they dragged his name anywhere.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:43 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:27 pm
mild wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:07 pmAnd frankly, after the way they treated him? AND the fact they weren't even allowing him to seek trade destinations/partners on their behalf?
I can see the problems with them barring him from find trade partners, but what was so bad about how they treated him? The end of season benching was contractual and not for quality of play reasons and I don't think they dragged his name anywhere.
Yeah, I don't understand, myself. He was granted the ability to not be around the team once he was told he was benched, and they did it for obvious reason. Purely business related. I'm not a big fan of ownership, and have always supported Carr, but he flopped this year, it was time for them to move on. The didn't do him dirty at the end of the year, and he obviously has made this decision based on conversations with his agent, and is doing what he feels is best for himself. If he felt it was more advantageous to extend the date for himself, I'm sure he would, doubtful he'd not do it just out of spite, and hurt his own agenda moving forward, he certainly doesn't seem like that type of person, especially being a very serious man of faith.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:13 am

mild wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:07 pm Something that's definitely underrated is how awesome this latest Derek Carr development is. He's making sure the Raiders get absolutely naught on his way out of the org.

And frankly, after the way they treated him? AND the fact they weren't even allowing him to seek trade destinations/partners on their behalf?

They 9000% deserve it.
Derek Carr has said he will not extend the Feb. 15 deadline for the $40.4 million injury guarantee clause in his contract.

In other words, the Raiders have to trade Carr before Feb. 15. Carr has a no-trade clause, so in other other words, he will not be getting traded, instead forcing his release. “I don’t think that would be best for me,” Carr said matter-of-factly. He is correct. Carr has zero reason to play ball with the Raiders, and though the remaining money on his deal is lucrative, he will make even more as a free agent in this quarterback-starved league. The Raiders threw Carr under the bus on the way out the door. He is reclaiming some dignity now.
You go, Derek Carr. 8-)
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Bully for Carr! Nothing less than the Raiders deserve for how the organization has treated him. It was fair for the team to do whatever they thought was in the team's best interest, and it's fair for Carr to do what's in his best interest.

Can't wait to see where he lands, and how great he looks next season.

BTW, I don't think it matters whether spite played into Carr's decision or not. When a team refuses to sign an injured player with an expiring contract, no one says that was spite. And I don't think it should be called spiteful for Carr to refuse to give the Raiders a chance to get something back for him when there's no benefit in it for him to do so.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:16 am

I never really understood why people thought he’d do anything else. I get that his current contract is decent, but he can probably get more term and he gets to 100% choose his team.

I had read that the Raiders had blocked him from trying to negotiate a trade because they figured he’d just use it to negotiate an FA deal. It seems like they never really believed trading him would be an option.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:35 am

ericanadian wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:16 am I never really understood why people thought he’d do anything else. I get that his current contract is decent, but he can probably get more term and he gets to 100% choose his team.

I had read that the Raiders had blocked him from trying to negotiate a trade because they figured he’d just use it to negotiate an FA deal. It seems like they never really believed trading him would be an option.
Ya if his contract is more than teams are willing to pay for him on the open market, then why would they trade assets to acquire him and take on that contract? He has no reason to waive his NTC, rewarding LV and cost his new team assets when he can just force them to cut him and have complete control of his future and work with his new team on the most mutually beneficial contract without costing them anything but the money they pay him. He'll also become a FA like a month prior to the unrestricted FA period opening because he's a cut player, not one whose contract expired. Every QB needy team will be after him and trying to lock him down before FA opens so they have a QB in place before trying to get other FAs to agree to come to their team. Raiders should have traded him last year, they aren't going to get anything for him now.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:44 am

Not sure what some of you posters are getting at. The Raiders gave Carr the biggest deal in history at the time of his first extension after his rookie deal. One he never lived up to. There wasn't any bad blood at all through the entire time, and the only reason he was sat last year was because they couldn't risk injury, once they decided to move on.

Not sure exactly why people think he was treated poorly, he wasn't. Carr didn't get thrown under the bus, they simply decided to move on after 9 years, and he was granted time away from the team if he desired, after sitting him. If Carr had been hurt, his salary could have become fully guaranteed. There's nothing weird about what they did.

I don't understand the narrative that he's being hard done by, it makes no sense.