Playoff format

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cojo 2020
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Playoff format

Postby Cojo 2020 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:53 pm

Since the inception of my primary dynasty league in 2007, we have had pretty much the same playoff format: 10 teams, divided into two divisions. 13 week regular season with the two division winners, and 2 wildcards (based on overall records with points scored as the tiebreaker). Weeks 14 and 15 were our playoffs.

The 13 week regular season allowed for each team to play each divisional opponent twice, and each non-divisional opponent once. Divisions are reseeded based on points scored, at the start of each season.

With the extra game added by the NFL, we increased the regular season to 14 weeks, with the playoffs in weeks 15 & 16. Week 14 matchups are based on the previous year Point totals (highest scoring team plays second highest, 3rd highest plays 4th highest, etc.). This game is added to the schedule prior to the start of the season.

One owner recently suggested that we should expand the playoffs to 6 teams, giving the two division winners a round 1 bye. Our playoff would then run weeks 15-17. The rationale was to keep more owners engaged down the stretch and provide added reward to division winners. Also, to reduce the impact of luck on the division winners by forcing less talented teams to go through 3 weeks of playoffs to win.

My concerns are that allowing 6 out of 10 teams in dilutes the playoffs to a degree.

I’d love to hear thoughts on how other owners do playoffs in 10 team leagues.

Thanks!
ROCHESTER ROADKILL: 10 team league: Starts 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR,, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 DST 1 flex RB/WR, 1 superflex QB/RB/WR/TE.

Superflex, PPR, Pass TD = 6 pts.

QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Lance, B.Young, A.Richardson, M.Cunningham
RB: Chubb, A.Jones, Bijan, Gibbs, J.Williams (DEN), Dobbins, Dillon, Z.White, T. Spears, R.Johnson, Z.Evans
WR: Lamb, Higgins, M.Brown (ARI), Ridley, Pittman, E.Moore, J.Williams (DET), Dotson, Doubs, Q.Johnston, Smith-Njigba
TE: Schultz, Kincaid
PK: Koo
DST: Chiefs. Lions
2024 picks: 1.02, 1.05, 1.06, 2.06, 3.02, 3.08, 3.10
League Champion: 2017, 2018, 2020, 2022

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Re: Playoff format

Postby moishetreats » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:13 pm

In my redraft league with my college buddies that started in 1995, we have 6/10 make the playoffs. It's redraft, it's fun, we want people engaged.

In my dynasty league (Team 1 in sig), we have always had 4/10 make the playoffs. There are always a couple of rebuilding teams, so the other 8 have a fighting shot at a spot. Since the NFL expanded its games, we have a 14-week regular season with the #1 seed picking their opponent from the #3 and #4 seed in week 15. The #2 seed plays the other team. In week 16, the losers of the week 15 games play for third place. The winners play in a two-week Superbowl, weeks 16 & 17, with the champ being the team with the most combined points.

Not perfect. But it's simple, competitive, balanced, and works well.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Brooks ('27), Wright ('27), Guerendo ('26), Mitchell ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), Nabers ('28), Worthy ('28), Polk ('28), Franklin ('28), E Moore ('25), M Thomas ('25), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $201

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): Sinnott ('28), All ('28), Schrader ('26), A Reed ('28)

Sinatra's Liver
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Sinatra's Liver » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:07 pm

In my league, it's also split into two 5-team divisions where you play two games against your division foes and one game against the other division for a 13-game regular season. The extra NFL game did cause a little trouble, but with Week 14 being a (stupid) bye week, we decided that Week 14 of our fantasy league is also a bye week with our playoffs running Weeks 15-16. I mean, who wants to begin their playoffs with players on bye? Horrible idea NFL.

Side note (and I hope this doesn't highjack this thread), but why can't the NFL adopt a NFC bye week on Week 8 and an AFC bye week on Week 9? Then our fantasy schedule would combine both Weeks 8-9 into one game. Bye week frustration would be eliminated forever!!
10 Team, PPR, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 2 Flex, 1K, 4 IDPs - Best Ball
QB: Lawrence, Watson, Richardson, Carr
RB: Barkley, KW3, JavWilliams, Pollard, Dillon, Charb, Abanikanda, Rodriguez
WR: Lamb, AJBrown, Dotson, JSN, M Evans, Watson, JPalmer
TE: Andrews, Goedert, Kmet
K: Butker, Hopkins, Aubrey
DE: Gary, J Phillips, Rousseau, Wilkins
LB: Wagner, DevWhite, Roquan, E Jones, Nakobe, DevLloyd, CHarris, Dennis
DB: Derwin J, Brisker, Pitre, Hamilton

Picks: #4, #7, #11, #13, #17

frerichs5
MVP
MVP

Postby frerichs5 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:29 am

Ahwatukee Brewer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:07 pm In my league, it's also split into two 5-team divisions where you play two games against your division foes and one game against the other division for a 13-game regular season. The extra NFL game did cause a little trouble, but with Week 14 being a (stupid) bye week, we decided that Week 14 of our fantasy league is also a bye week with our playoffs running Weeks 15-16. I mean, who wants to begin their playoffs with players on bye? Horrible idea NFL.

Side note (and I hope this doesn't highjack this thread), but why can't the NFL adopt a NFC bye week on Week 8 and an AFC bye week on Week 9? Then our fantasy schedule would combine both Weeks 8-9 into one game. Bye week frustration would be eliminated forever!!
Money is all the NFL cares about. This suggestion would leave them down 8 games for a couple weeks instead of the normal 1 or 2 games (3 on occasion). I don’t like to say never, but I don’t see them leaving money from that many games in any given week on the table.