Purdy vs Lance 2023

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Which scenario do you think is most likely?

Purdy holds the job and Lance is a backup
41%
Lance regains the starting role and Purdy is a backup
33%
Lance is traded and gets a shot elsewhere
26%

Total votes: 97

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Purdy vs Lance 2023

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:33 pm

mild wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:09 pm
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:42 pm Per the rules of Shanahan - that's the guy you want.
You're probably right. If it's Herndon Hooker or Jake Haenor... that's a dart-throw dynasty target getting very interesting.

As to Jimmy G, Brady's retirement just greased the skids for him to be paid starters money. (Tampa? Vegas?)

No chance he's returning to the 49ers, just like Shanny and Lynch said.
Could see them them sign Matt Ryan as the 3rd QB. If Lance can't transition to the NFL, Ryan could hold down the job until Purdy was ready.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:03 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:31 pm Whoever isn’t hurt

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:24 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:19 pm So far, you couldn't write a better script for Lance to be the frontrunner for this job.
This I agree with. If Lance is on SF, I do not see any scenario that he does not start the season. If SF decides to move on from Lance and go with Purdy, then Lance is traded to another team and still likely starts 2023 as a starting QB.

Regarding Purdy, I still have not been impressed with his physical talent. I think it is rather lacking. He is good with ball handling, which is a big plus, and seems good mentally, also good, but he is not very big and doesn't have a big arm. I see people knocking Lance for only starting 2 games in a season max, but Purdy also suffered a major injury in short time, so he is no better in that regard.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:39 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:03 pm
49ers QB is the new 49ers RB

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:04 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:39 pm
That is what you get when you script your backup TE to block a Pro Bowl LB with 16 sacks with no help.
Shanahan offense is high risk/high reward.
Lots of points, lots of injuries

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:27 am

BabyChark23 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:22 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:19 pm So far, you couldn't write a better script for Lance to be the frontrunner for this job.
Given the Purdy injury and timeline, I think Lance has a good shot to start Week 1, but the leash will be incredibly short.
This is where I'm at too

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:16 am

I think they'd have to be absolutely crazy to make Purdy the guy. He had a great run but theres a reason why he was a late round pick. Your offense will always be limited with him in and defenses won't feel threatened by deep passes. Teams will adjust to his style of play and make him look like a backup caliber QB

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:29 am

Word around Santa Clara, reports from beat writers, commentators, podcasters like Haberman & Middlekauf, is that Purdy is the guy. Niners believe they struck gold. Shanahan said the other day that the timeline for Purdy is that in 3 months he will be through rehab, and from 3-6 months he will be building back to 100%.

He also said that he feels Lance is a starter level too, that they feel comfortable having two starters on the roster, so Jimmy G is not coming back under any scenario.

I feel even stronger after hearing Shanahan’s presser that they will keep both Purdy and Lance, and personally I agree with all the insiders that Purdy is the starter. My total guess is that Lance will be used in RPO and short yardage packages.

I don’t want either in fantasy unless they come for very cheap.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:36 am

MacDaddy123 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:04 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:39 pm
That is what you get when you script your backup TE to block a Pro Bowl LB with 16 sacks with no help.
Shanahan offense is high risk/high reward.
Lots of points, lots of injuries
It was kind of necessary to begin with to run the offense, because it is so playaction heavy.

https://twitter.com/joethomas73/status/ ... kT5s_FyX2w

https://twitter.com/joethomas73/status/ ... _VlhY_lcdA

Here's future HOF OT Joe Thomas explaining it.

On top of that it was really good scheming by Philly, because Reddick was aligning very wide and as a 5th DL a lot of times, and it was basically forcing the TEs to have to deal with him because the RT didn't have a great angle to be able to block him.

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status ... It8c6aQpwg

Here's Bill Barnwell illustrating one of the plays, and it's pretty clear why a TE was blocking him.

Should Shannahan have made some kind of adjustment? Ya probably, but at the end of the day it's something you have to trust your players to execute for the offense to work as designed. It's a lot more complicated than just "block him with an OT".

JTLoh
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JTLoh » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:32 am

Thing is, Purdy > Lance.
But that's not saying a whole lot because Lance isn't special. He's just less, not special, than Purdy.
In fantasy Purdy is the guy you want to have. He has a shot at being an adequate fantasy QB.
Lance does not.
CONTENTION 2
QB - D.Prescott, J.Hurts
RB - J.Jacobs, C-Patt, JRob, BRob, D.Pierce, TDP, H.Haskins
WR - Ceedee, J.Jefferson, JuJu, A.Pierce, Meyers, NWI
TE - M.Andrews, Brevin, J.Woods, L.Thomas
Defense: Cowboys/Viks

CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH
QB - Mahomes, Cousins, Love, Mond, Rush, M.White, Strong
RB - C-Patt, Singletary, K.Herbert, Foreman, Hubbard, Lindsay
WR - Lockett, Hollywood, OBJ, Golladay, AJG, Hardman, Meyers, Osborn, ISM
TE - Kelsey, Ertz, G.Everett, Bryant
Taxi - BRob, TDP, Ingram, A.Smith, K.Phillips, Metchie, Shakir, Tolbert, Thorton, J.Woods, S.Thompson

ALL THE MARBLES
QB - TB12, J.Hurts, Stafford
RB - Ekeler, Zeke, C-Patt, Mack, Rhamondre, BRob, R.White, Foreman
WR - AJ Brown, London, Watson, A.Pierce, Burks, OBJ, Golladay, Amon-Ra, Marshall
TE - Gronk, T.Higbee, D.Arnold, Ebron
Defense: Bills/Saints

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:07 pm

JTLoh wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:32 am Thing is, Purdy > Lance.
But that's not saying a whole lot because Lance isn't special. He's just less, not special, than Purdy.
In fantasy Purdy is the guy you want to have. He has a shot at being an adequate fantasy QB.
Lance does not.
If Lance is a starter for a team, I'd prefer him over Purdy in a vacuum.

The Konami Code is strong.

I think Lance has a far higher chance of being a difference maker in Fantasy than Purdy. What's Purdy... Kirk Cousins 2.0?

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:31 pm

dondickenson wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:29 am Word around Santa Clara, reports from beat writers, commentators, podcasters like Haberman & Middlekauf, is that Purdy is the guy. Niners believe they struck gold. Shanahan said the other day that the timeline for Purdy is that in 3 months he will be through rehab, and from 3-6 months he will be building back to 100%.

He also said that he feels Lance is a starter level too, that they feel comfortable having two starters on the roster, so Jimmy G is not coming back under any scenario.

I feel even stronger after hearing Shanahan’s presser that they will keep both Purdy and Lance, and personally I agree with all the insiders that Purdy is the starter. My total guess is that Lance will be used in RPO and short yardage packages.

I don’t want either in fantasy unless they come for very cheap.
It will be an open Competition IMO but if the 49's honestly believe Purdy is the guy they should trade Lance prior the draft. They are in need of at least 1 offensive tackle.

Teams would be interested and Houston would probably be my first call. Six of the first Nine picks in this draft could use a QB in a big way. The 49's are close but their stud O Tackle turns 35 in July.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:50 pm

I think people are being too optimistic about Purdy's recovery time. According to Dr. Chao, 6 months is the very earliest & that is with just a surgical repair. If he needs full Tommy John surgery, it's at least a year recovery.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:13 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:50 pm I think people are being too optimistic about Purdy's recovery time. According to Dr. Chao, 6 months is the very earliest & that is with just a surgical repair. If he needs full Tommy John surgery, it's at least a year recovery.
This is my thoughts as well. Pitchers I know who had TJ were out much longer than 6mo and even when they came back took a while to get back to form. If he does end up with TJ surgery he will be lucky to be throwing a football in 6 months. His arm speed and strength will be a longer term project.

Also, let's pump the brakes on assuming Purdy could be Kirk Cousins 2.0. Kirk has been an above average QB in the league for more than half a decade. Still skeptical Purdy gets there given the serious injury to his throwing arm.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:52 pm

CGW wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:13 pm
Forza_Azzurri wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:50 pm I think people are being too optimistic about Purdy's recovery time. According to Dr. Chao, 6 months is the very earliest & that is with just a surgical repair. If he needs full Tommy John surgery, it's at least a year recovery.
This is my thoughts as well. Pitchers I know who had TJ were out much longer than 6mo and even when they came back took a while to get back to form. If he does end up with TJ surgery he will be lucky to be throwing a football in 6 months. His arm speed and strength will be a longer term project.

Also, let's pump the brakes on assuming Purdy could be Kirk Cousins 2.0. Kirk has been an above average QB in the league for more than half a decade. Still skeptical Purdy gets there given the serious injury to his throwing arm.
Purdy isn't currently expected to have TJ surgery, which is why it's only projected at 6 months. It's believed that the ligament can be repaired/reattached and doesn't need to be completely reconstructed which is what TJ surgery is. If he does have TJ he's definitely not going to be ready for training camp and very likely misses the year, but that's not currently the plan according to all publicly available knowledge.