Purdy vs Lance 2023

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Which scenario do you think is most likely?

Purdy holds the job and Lance is a backup
41%
Lance regains the starting role and Purdy is a backup
33%
Lance is traded and gets a shot elsewhere
26%

Total votes: 97

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: Purdy vs Lance 2023

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:53 pm

Rodgers is 100% not happening.

The 49ers don't have the draft capital or the cap space to acquire him and his contract. Brady would be completely free to add in terms of giving up assets (picks/players) to acquire him and is completely free to negotiate a contract that fits within the parameters of what SF has available on their cap, rather than an existing large contract they have to rework their cap situation around.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:22 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:53 pm Rodgers is 100% not happening.

The 49ers don't have the draft capital or the cap space to acquire him and his contract. Brady would be completely free to add in terms of giving up assets (picks/players) to acquire him and is completely free to negotiate a contract that fits within the parameters of what SF has available on their cap, rather than an existing large contract they have to rework their cap situation around.
Tell the Rams that !

They have to decide if in the small window before the Bosa's, Deebo's, CMC decline to go for a cpl of championships or create a transition to the future to remain competitive albeit with the realization that isn't going to give them their best shot to win it all.

Sell the future to win now vs trying to have the best of both worlds. Salary cap went up so that would pay a 1/3 of whatever QB you bring in. You drop Jimmy G's and now you're over half the way there. Purdy & Lance are both relatively cheap so you already have your quality backup / future QB in house. Kick the can down the road on some others cap numbers & voila !!!

Compensation issue I agree is a sticking point but A-a-ron's good at holding Packers hostage and can threaten retirement so they end up w/ ZERO compensation.(and still a pile of dead cap 💰)

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:34 pm

Stafford didn't cost nearly as much as Rodgers does when they acquired him, and they hadn't already spent 3 1st round picks on another QB beforehand like the 49ers have. They also didn't have a looming massive extension they had to get done for Donald like the 49ers do with Bosa. Rodgers to SF is not happening.

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:47 pm

mild wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:00 pm
Servo wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:47 pm I believe Carson Palmer and Delhomme are the two biggest profile QB's to have Tommy John surgery...Lance holders may have life yet.
... until Tom Brady signs, for sure. 8-)
That was my first thought when I heard about the Purdy injury too.
TB to SF talk had been circulating for a while, but I figured the 49ers would stick with Purdy the way he had been playing.

After the injury my first thought was: Well now this opens the door for Brady now.
Perfect TB fit, only thing the team needs is a QB.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:08 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:34 pm Stafford didn't cost nearly as much as Rodgers does when they acquired him, and they hadn't already spent 3 1st round picks on another QB beforehand like the 49ers have. They also didn't have a looming massive extension they had to get done for Donald like the 49ers do with Bosa. Rodgers to SF is not happening.
Salary cap was much lower and they had spent a ton on Goff so their QB position comparatively speaking was pretty close.

The Rams had spent picks on Ransey then spent more on Von Miller. Spent big money on ODB , Floyd and others. Donald WAS Looking for big extension & talking holdout / retirement if not compensated. Sunken costs are a reality for most teams, it's just how they decide to work around them.

Not saying it's going to happen. Just saying that you can't rule it out either IF they want to do it it can get done. Rodgers could even take less than he's due to get or restructuring of the contract to push cap number down the road. Lots of manipulation can be done

oneson9192
Role Player
Role Player

Postby oneson9192 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:52 am

So Brady is done, Rodgers seems impossible, Purdy is out 6-10(?) months, we know what Jimmy G is.... is Lance a massive buy right now? I could get him for the 1.08 in SF right now...
2021 Startup
Superflex – PPR - TE Premium (1.5 PPR) – 12 Team
1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 SF, 1 Flex

QB: J Allen, J Fields, D Jones, W Levis, S Darnold
RB: B Hall, K Walker, T Etienne, R Johnson, D Foreman, J McLaughlin, E Demercado
WR: ARSB, G Wilson, DK Metcalf, B Aiyuk, T Higgins, C Godwin, J Williams, R Bateman
TE: K Pitts, D Goedert, L Musgrave
2024: 1.03, 2.03, 3.11
2025: 1-3-4-4-5

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:57 am

If Purdy is healthy, put me on the record for him over Lance. He looked like the real deal. Lance has upside, but the security of Purdy is worth more in my view.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:46 am

dynastyninja wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:57 am If Purdy is healthy, put me on the record for him over Lance. He looked like the real deal. Lance has upside, but the security of Purdy is worth more in my view.
I could see Jimmy G back on a 1 or 2 year deal, too, with incentives. I think it's super risky for them to walk into next year as it stands, given the Purdy injury.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:47 am

oneson9192 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:52 am So Brady is done, Rodgers seems impossible, Purdy is out 6-10(?) months, we know what Jimmy G is.... is Lance a massive buy right now? I could get him for the 1.08 in SF right now...
Everything I am reading is 6 months, so he'd be ready to go for the start of the year. I'd hold off on trading a mid first for Lance, personally.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:52 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:47 am
oneson9192 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:52 am So Brady is done, Rodgers seems impossible, Purdy is out 6-10(?) months, we know what Jimmy G is.... is Lance a massive buy right now? I could get him for the 1.08 in SF right now...
Everything I am reading is 6 months, so he'd be ready to go for the start of the year. I'd hold off on trading a mid first for Lance, personally.
Agreed. There's so much uncertainty with either of them at this point. If Lance ends up starting he'll have a short leash just waiting for when Purdy is healthy. If Lance somehow shows out you could win, but I'm not gambling that.

I also don't see Jimmy G going back to SF unless there's some real money in his contract. There's other QB needy teams that are going to pay up for him at this point.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:38 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:46 am
dynastyninja wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:57 am If Purdy is healthy, put me on the record for him over Lance. He looked like the real deal. Lance has upside, but the security of Purdy is worth more in my view.
I could see Jimmy G back on a 1 or 2 year deal, too, with incentives. I think it's super risky for them to walk into next year as it stands, given the Purdy injury.
Kyle and Lynch disagree with you.
49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said he doesn't see "any scenario" in which Jimmy Garoppolo returns to the team in 2023.
Lynch told reporters he is content with going into the 2023 season with Trey Lance and Brock Purdy as his quarterbacks.
Considering Trey Lance's current games started "high" for an NFL season is "2", I don't think the Purdy shareholders should be too worried. Especially after what he showed, and especially after you got him for free off waivers.

Let Lance start the year, see how he does, see if he can re-hab his value a little bit - and if he struggles, or gets injured again (my personal guess) then Purdy should be just about ready to take over (again).

And as to the "super risky" part - I'm sure they'll find another cheap backup, either signing them or drafting them. There's some quite capable guys in the mid-to-late rounds of this draft.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:42 pm

mild wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:38 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:46 am
Kyle and Lynch disagree with you.
49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said he doesn't see "any scenario" in which Jimmy Garoppolo returns to the team in 2023.
Lynch told reporters he is content with going into the 2023 season with Trey Lance and Brock Purdy as his quarterbacks.
Considering Trey Lance's current games started "high" for an NFL season is "2", I don't think the Purdy shareholders should be too worried. Especially after what he showed, and especially after you got him for free off waivers.

Let Lance start the year, see how he does, see if he can re-hab his value a little bit - and if he struggles, or gets injured again (my personal guess) then Purdy should be just about ready to take over (again).

And as to the "super risky" part - I'm sure they'll find another cheap backup, either signing them or drafting them. There's some quite capable guys in the mid-to-late rounds of this draft.
Per the rules of Shanahan - that's the guy you want.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:09 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:42 pm Per the rules of Shanahan - that's the guy you want.
You're probably right. If it's Herndon Hooker or Jake Haenor... that's a dart-throw dynasty target getting very interesting.

As to Jimmy G, Brady's retirement just greased the skids for him to be paid starters money. (Tampa? Vegas?)

No chance he's returning to the 49ers, just like Shanny and Lynch said.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:19 pm

So far, you couldn't write a better script for Lance to be the frontrunner for this job.

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:22 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:19 pm So far, you couldn't write a better script for Lance to be the frontrunner for this job.
Given the Purdy injury and timeline, I think Lance has a good shot to start Week 1, but the leash will be incredibly short.